NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Default D322 Info request

Posted By: robert a

Hi fellow tip top collectors.

I'm starting to research this set a bit and would appreciate any information you could provide about the set in this thread that deals with the following or otherwise:

Your holdings: I'm trying to get a feel for which cards are the scarcest. Of course, we have some good ideas on this already.
Which cards were the toughest for you to find? What do you have right now?
If you don't feel comfortable posting this, please email if you're willing to disclose.

Advertisement: Has anyone seen a "period" ad that refers to the Ward Mackey Co. or Tip Top Bread AND the Pirates? Anyone have knowledge of how this set was packaged, marketed, etc.? We know what the back says, but any further info.?

Has there been anything written on the set in the past?

Please add any comments/observations/questions you have concerning this interesting set.

Thanks for your help!

Rob

Old 08-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

Tip Top Bread is a great set. Conventional wisdom in the past has been that the Tip Top Boy, Forbes Field, and Dreyfuss are the toughest cards in the set. In my opinion, these three cards are definitely more difficult to locate. I am not sure if this is due to a true short supply of these cards, or because they are hoarded away in collections. I have been looking for Tip Top Boy and Forbes Field for a few years, and only recently was able to pick up a Forbes Field.

One thing that has always intrigued me about the set is how often you find cards with paper loss on the reverse, usually on the corners. This seems to indicate they were pasted into some sort of album. However, I have never seen or heard of a Tip Top album.

My holdings:

Wagner
Abaticchio
Flynn
Miller
Webb
Forbes Field

Old 08-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Andrew,

Since the cards were offered to collectors as a complete set, do you think it's possible they were presented to the collector/consumer in or with a book of some sort which might explain the back damage?

Also since the set was offered in complete sets to consumers why would any card be tougher to find than others.

Perhaps the Forbes field, Mascot, and Administrator(s) are tough to find because nobody gave a hoot about them?

Thanks for keeping the discussion going.

Rob

Old 08-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I can speak from personal experience that George Gibson is one of the tougher Tip Top Bread D322 cards to find... especially in nice condition. I had one with a 4-way window pane crease, and it took me 5 years to find this upgrade. I have also noticed that he comes up on many want lists of people looking to complete the set.

Patrick

Old 08-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Patrick,

I still need Gibson as well.
Thanks for the information.

Rob

Old 08-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think I have seen a Ward-Mackey advertisement but don't remember where....and I think it was a little later than "period" for the cards. I have had, and sold, a few sets of these. For the HOF'ers Clarke seems to be much tougher than Wagner...especially in nicer grade.....Cool set....

edited grammar

Old 08-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I have the complete set viewable here:

http://imageevent.com/uffda51/tiptopbreadpirates

I found Dreyfuss, Forbes Field and the mascot the toughest, in that order. Dreyfuss was far tougher than the other two. Finding cards above vg is tough. Of the other cards, Webb was the toughest.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Rob,

Here are my holdings...I find all cards to be tough, esp. in better condition. I heard that the mascot, Forbes and team exec are tougher -
it maybe that most kids tossed them; due to lack of interest(non-baseball player).

Personally, I like the Leever - he is the only player with a cap.

Hope the info helps in some way,

Mark

Miller (2)
Camnitz
Adams
Leifield
Maddox
Campbell (2)
Wilson
Leever
Simon
O’Conner
Forbes Field

Old 08-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Hi Rob--

Good to see you doing this. It's a great set-- pretty tough for me.

I have

Camnitz
Leifield
Maddox
Campbell
Byrne

Cheers,

Tim

Old 08-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Hmmm...I have a Forbes Field as well. Like others that have already responded, I always assumed that the field, Mascot, Dreyfuss and perhaps the Gibson were the tough ones. Seems that several people in this thread alone have already mentioned having the Forbes Field though which is sort of interesting....

Old 08-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

Rob,

Another strange thing is that we assume some collectors returned the "labels" and received a complete set in the mail. However, there are few high grade cards known from this set. It seems there should be some high grade holdings out there somewhere. . . But where are they?

Andrew