NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default N173 Discovery

A little fun . . . , what do you find interesting about the following N173s? I viewed them for the first time moments ago. Slowly, the Met has been scanning and posting more images from the Burdick collection.

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 03-09-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM

OK. I'll play. The second one has no player name or team name. I don't see what's unusual about the first one, but I'm sure I'm missing something.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 PM

The color of the mounts?
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Rob

Well, the photo quality is excellent. Great cards.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Trevor Hocking

there white nice cabinets!!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Joe Gonsowski

John, Trevor, et al., you are correct, the white mounts.

It can be tough to notice the white mount color when viewing them all by themselves above, so well done. Here are some of the other colors from the same source, the Met, most-to-least common.

Standard Yellow (no special color applied to mount)

Standard Pink (no special color applied to mount)

Black

Brown/Chocolate

Red & White would round out the list. The Met has a beautiful red mount of Sam Thompson, it is in the Old Judge book, but the Met hasn't yet posted that scan. There has also long been rumored to be a blue mount cabinet but no one seems to know where it is or have a copy of the image.

I will close by saying that the images I posted at top absolutely look like white mounts, but it really should be looked at in person before re-writing the books.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Trevor Hocking

Very nice I still own a couple white mounts. I will scan soon and post. I love the different color mounts with the gold gilding edges.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:36 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Cool Discovery, Joe!

One of the things that makes the Old Judge set so interesting is that even after 125+ years, new stuff is still popping up.

I'm still hopeful a Buffalo Bison card shows up one of these days!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
One of the things that makes the Old Judge set so interesting is that even after 125+ years, new stuff is still popping up.

I'm still hopeful a Buffalo Bison card shows up one of these days!
I have a book from years ago that says someone had one of these, or at least a place marked Buffalo where they kept their cards, just like they had for every other team in the set. Don't think they would just assume a team was in the set. I think they made the holder after they got one.

Going by the 1889 team, that leaves the choices at Gilmore, Jim Whitney, Bishop for players, Jack Rowe or Deacon White as managers. That assumes there were no new poses made for 1889 players and they just changed as existing one, which is highly likely. All those really tough teams(Burlington, Mansfield, Rochester, New Haven, Lowell, Wilkes-Barre) all used old poses and updated the team name
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Fred

First thing that popped into my mind was the color of the mounts. Those are really nice N173s.