NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-26-2020, 06:15 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Default T206 Doyle "NATL"

Do any "normal" collectors even own one of these?

Article says that this one sold for $414K in 2012 REA Auction.

Have any of you even held one of these in hand?

It is included in PSA Checklist of T206 Regular Issue????

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kaBWNV]

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 11-26-2020 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:54 AM

I own one. I acquired it from Powell Miller. It now sits in a psa 3.5 flip, and I believe it is highest graded. I acquired it bc it was literally a once in a lifetime opportunity- these are impossible. I believe there are 8, maybe 9, known. No 524 card t206 set is complete without one and, thus, there can be no more than 8-9 complete t206 sets. I am very lucky to have been given a chance to acquire mine. This is the only one I have ever seen in person and/or held.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E76C5957-6F00-48A9-AA49-D6DA6BD4313D.jpg (14.8 KB, 556 views)
Old 11-26-2020, 08:05 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Dude! Just WOW!
Old 11-26-2020, 08:18 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I own one. I acquired it from Powell Miller. It now sits in a psa 3.5 flip, and I believe it is highest graded. I acquired it bc it was literally a once in a lifetime opportunity- these are impossible. I believe there are 8, maybe 9, known. No 524 card t206 set is complete without one and, thus, there can be no more than 8-9 complete t206 sets. I am very lucky to have been given a chance to acquire mine. This is the only one I have ever seen in person and/or held.
Ryan, The OP asked if any "normal" collectors have held or seen one in person. With you're insane collection, you don't fall in the "normal" category. (Sarcasm, of course)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe; 11-26-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:05 AM

Lol Andy! Happy T Giving
Old 11-26-2020, 09:51 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Lol Andy! Happy T Giving
I'm glad you took that with the intended humor! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-26-2020, 09:26 AM
Larrie Dean

Default It was 2004!

In February 2004 a friend called me and asked for advice on selling some "old cards" his father had acquired! We had known each other for many years but I had no prior knowledge he had any cards. He had known that I had sold cards for over 40 years and was asking for advice on how to "sell them quickly"! He told me that he had never collected cards but that in 1984 his father had given him 1/2 of an accumulation assembled between 1908 and 1915! Yes, I was excited. I think this qualifies as "a find"!

I discovered that my friend's father was born in 1900 and that as a child the father loved sports, particularly baseball. Unfortunately from 1908 to 1915 he was confined to a wheelchair much of the time but friends and family brought him cards so that he could vicariously enjoy baseball. My friend arrived at my home with about 600 of the 1375 cards given to him by his father. My friend claimed to have no knowledge of the value of the cards but he did point out one card that someone had told him was worth $16,500! It was the T206 Doyle "NATL"! I believe that at the time (February 2004) only 6 or 7 were known to exist.

Larrie Dean
Dean's House of Cards
Old 11-26-2020, 04:45 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Ryan, The OP asked if any "normal" collectors have held or seen one in person. With you're insane collection, you don't fall in the "normal" category. (Sarcasm, of course)
Andy beat me to it.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:07 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
There are scans of seven different examples and reported sales of eight
different examples. Two have changed holders the one you have that went
from an SGC 50 holder to the PSA 3.5 and the SGC A that went to a BVG 4
holder.

There was a sale in a house of cards auction to Larry Frisch and as far as I know there are no pictures of that one or the other Doyle he had.

PSA 2-1.jpg
PSA 2-2.jpg
PSA 3-1 Legendary.jpg
PSA 3-2 Sold in REA.jpg
Russell example.jpg
SGC A - BVG 4.jpg
SGC 50.jpg
Old 11-26-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
There are scans of seven different examples and reported sales of eight
different examples. Two have changed holders the one you have that went
from an SGC 50 holder to the PSA 3.5 and the SGC A that went to a BVG 4
holder.

There was a sale in a house of cards auction to Larry Frisch and as far as I know there are no pictures of that one or the other Doyle he had.

Attachment 427963
Attachment 427964
Attachment 427965
Attachment 427966
Attachment 427967
Attachment 427968
Attachment 427969
I know of 3 ungraded Doyles. The 2 owned by the Frisch family and Richard Russell's card in his collection gifted to the University of Georgia. Is your ungraded example one of those?

There are 9 known Doyles, but only 8 possible sets because the UGA one won't be sold. I assume the Frisch family still has both their sets, Ryan has a set and Leon said another board member has a set with Doyle. It is unknown where the other 4 are and if they are in sets or not. As Ryan said, these don't come up for sale and I believe that only 2 of them have sold more than once.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:46 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I know of 3 ungraded Doyles. The 2 owned by the Frisch family and Richard Russell's card in his collection gifted to the University of Georgia. Is your ungraded example one of those?

There are 9 known Doyles, but only 8 possible sets because the UGA one won't be sold. I assume the Frisch family still has both their sets, Ryan has a set and Leon said another board member has a set with Doyle. It is unknown where the other 4 are and if they are in sets or not. As Ryan said, these don't come up for sale and I believe that only 2 of them have sold more than once.
The ungraded example I posted is from the Russell collection.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post

Hi rats60

You are correct, there are only 9 authentic Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'L cards known.

Here's the scan of this card from Senator Russell's collection on display at the
Univ. of Georgia. I acquired this picture of it many years ago......

There are 3 other ones that I know of which are (or were) in collections of Charles Conlin, Joe Pelaez,
Keith Olberman. The latter two guys initially purchased FAKE Doyle cards (circa early 1990's).

Speaking about FAKE Doyle Nat'L cards.....there was one graded by PSA with a POLAR BEAR back as
"legitimate". As most of us know, this Doyle was only printed with PIEDMONT 350 backs.
What happened to this FAKE is anyone's guess.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 11-26-2020, 08:09 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

Great info guys on a truly rare card! Thanks for the photos Pat!

Here is what I have on the T206 Doyle, N.Y. Nat’l (9):
1. Larry Frisch Doyle Raw
2. Larry Frisch Doyle Raw
3. Senator Russell Doyle Raw
4. PSA 2 #08136374
5. PSA 2 #25967810
6. PSA 3 #11542509
7. Joe Pelaez Doyle PSA 3 #18571062
8. Charlie Conlon Doyle PSA 3.5 #48632531
9. BVG 4 #0006779423

Only 2 are registered in the PSA set registry
Hopefully some will be 'found' in the near future.

Last edited by Kidnapped18; 11-26-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:35 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi rats60

You are correct, there are only 9 authentic Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'L cards known.

Here's the scan of this card from Senator Russell's collection on display at the
Univ. of Georgia. I acquired this picture of it many years ago......

There are 3 other ones that I know of which are (or were) in collections of Charles Conlin, Joe Pelaez,
Keith Olberman. The latter two guys initially purchased FAKE Doyle cards (circa early 1990's).

Speaking about FAKE Doyle Nat'L cards.....there was one graded by PSA with a POLAR BEAR back as
"legitimate". As most of us know, this Doyle was only printed with PIEDMONT 350 backs.
What happened to this FAKE is anyone's guess.

TED Z

T206 Reference
The one that Ryan now has was the Conlin Doyle it was crossed over from the SGC 50 holder to the PSA 3.5 holder.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:19 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Wonderful provenance on your card, Ryan.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:45 PM
Bill T.

I met up with Joe Pelaez and some other collectors for lunch before a Chantilly show once. Joe casually reached into his backpack and pulled his Doyle Nat'l out, and passed it around the table. So I have at least held a slab. RIP Joe.

Bill
Old 11-26-2020, 02:02 PM
Banned

i really miss talking and hanging out with joe. he knew a lot about t206s and wasn’t afraid to call out a lot of b.s. that gets posted about the set on this board.

nice doyle ryan. didn’t know you have one of those. are you hoping to get a wagner too?
Old 11-26-2020, 04:46 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
i really miss talking and hanging out with joe. he knew a lot about t206s and wasn’t afraid to call out a lot of b.s. that gets posted about the set on this board.

nice doyle ryan. didn’t know you have one of those. are you hoping to get a wagner too?
He already has one.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:52 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Several years ago I picked up this bargain box Joe Doyle. When I got home and looked at the card closer, the bottom of the card is scratched, right where the NAT'L would be on the rare card. I also see what appears to be some printing. Maybe some kid in 1909 knew this was a mistake and scratched it off? Maybe a modern collector tried to make this appear like the real deal? I shared this card on the board, and discovered that the back would be correct for the rare card, but all agreed it wasn't the real deal. My son in law put the damaged part under a microscope and took a picture.