NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2024, 08:37 AM
Brian Jordan

Default Interesting Stats on Probstein’s Ebay Business

The latest episode of the Sports Card Madness podcast interviews Rick Probstein. He said he’s the largest in the hobby on Ebay by a factor of 2. (Note: other categories on Ebay are larger than collectibles).
He has 850,000 sales/year. For each of the last four years they’ve sold over $100M/yr with the biggest year being $160M. He uses the same pricing for everyone who consigns a card regardless of price/volume. It’s a volume business in his mind and it’s too difficult to have special deals for some of their customers - more efficient just to have standard pricing.
They receive over 100 packages a day. He has about 30 employees. He said “I only have 4 or 5 that know what they are doing.” (That’s one hell of a quote!) Many of the employees are paid minimum wage but the most important are the two head scripters who are responsible for listing and titling the cards placed up for auction. I suspect many of these employees are opening mail, sending out mail, or scanning cards into Ebay.
One notable part of the interview was where he said he feels EBay’s Buy It Now listings are completely broken with the average BIN card listed at 5 times latest comps. Some BIN listings have been up for over a decade (not sure how much hyperbole is in either of those statements but I agree with the general sentiment.) He’s getting rid of all of their BIN listings and replacing with auctions that have a minimum floor price. If the card doesn’t sell they lower the floor price and will relist for auction.
His personal collection has to be worth tens of millions based on some of the cards he owns and discussed during the interview. I guess that makes sense if your business is low margin, your revenue is $100M+, and you’ve kept your labor costs as low as possible. He didn’t mention another equity partner so his profits from the business should be substantial.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:51 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Those are some big numbers. Based on what I see on eBay, I wouldn't have expected that he was hitting $100M+ in top line sales per year, but what do I know?

Obviously he's top dog now that PWCC is no longer on eBay. I suspect they were topping him by a large multiple every year. Now that they're out of the picture, Rick is kind of the last man standing.

And it's nice to hear that he's moving away from the BIN format, to more of a reverse auction or dutch auction format. I suspect that means stuff will move faster, although he may have some consignors that don't want to use that format.

If I'm being honest, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that he has minimum wage noobs doing most of the work, with the level of volume that he has. Just seems like a recipe for stuff to disappear under mysterious circumstances. But hopefully he has robust controls in place to prevent those sort of shenanigans.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-01-2024, 01:57 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I live not too far from the Probstein mothership and a few years back bought an expensive Type 1 photo from him. I asked if I could just pick it up and he said sure; gave me an address like 3 miles from my home. When I got there it was the most non-descript generic industrial park I'd have ever seen. Like people had paper signs taped to their door for the mailman. His office had some little sign that said Probstein Enterprises or something. Presumably this was his shipping hub. I rang the bell a few times and eventually I was greeted by a friendly Mexican or Central American girl, maybe 20 years old, who made clear to me quickly that she didn't speak a word of English. Finally I got "Gehrig photograph" across and she left and came back and handed me the photo with a post in on it. All worked out well but was certainly a hell of a weird experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Those are some big numbers. Based on what I see on eBay, I wouldn't have expected that he was hitting $100M+ in top line sales per year, but what do I know?

Obviously he's top dog now that PWCC is no longer on eBay. I suspect they were topping him by a large multiple every year. Now that they're out of the picture, Rick is kind of the last man standing.

And it's nice to hear that he's moving away from the BIN format, to more of a reverse auction or dutch auction format. I suspect that means stuff will move faster, although he may have some consignors that don't want to use that format.

If I'm being honest, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that he has minimum wage noobs doing most of the work, with the level of volume that he has. Just seems like a recipe for stuff to disappear under mysterious circumstances. But hopefully he has robust controls in place to prevent those sort of shenanigans.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-01-2024 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:24 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I live not too far from the Probstein mothership and a few years back bought an expensive Type 1 photo from him. I asked if I could just pick it up and he said sure; gave me an address like 3 miles from my home. When I got there it was the most non-descript generic industrial park I'd have ever seen. Like people had paper signs taped to their door for the mailman. His office had some little sign that said Probstein Enterptrises or something. Presumably this was his shipping hub. I rang the bell a few times and eventually I was greeted by a friendly Mexican or Central American girl, maybe 20 years old, who made clear to me quickly that she didn't speak a word of English. Finally I got "Gehrig photograph" across and she left and came back and handed me the photo with a post in on it. All worked out well but was certainly a hell of a weird experience.
This is simultaneously comforting and horrifying at the same time.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:31 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
This is simultaneously comforting and horrifying at the same time.

Get me the address. I'm going to go and ask for "babe ruth" and see of they will bring me one.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-01-2024, 06:38 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Get me the address. I'm going to go and ask for "babe ruth" and see of they will bring me one.
It did dawn on me that their non descript office park probably housed $500,000 in sports memorabilia. Discretion probably well justified. Guy next door could have been selling glass pipes by the box as far as I could tell.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-01-2024 at 06:41 PM.