NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-19-2024, 07:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My bet would be on this conclusion. I have firsthand experience on buying a currency in NM-MT and it having a good sized indention in it, after in person inspection. I was told the large type scanner the company used didn't pick it up. It was a quick refund...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think you will get your money back and this was probably some unintentional screwup. Cautionary tale though for how much difference scan settings can make.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:07 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Mike Baker did not authenticate any autographs ever.
100 of thousands of fakes with HIS NAME RIGHT ON the FAKE Certificate from GAI. "look up "from the Mike Baker Collection"
Old 02-20-2024, 10:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
100 of thousands of fakes with HIS NAME RIGHT ON the FAKE Certificate from GAI. "look up "from the Mike Baker Collection"
He signed on behalf of GAi but I don't think there was any suggestion he was actually authenticating the autographs himself?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:55 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Yup, some wrinkles/creases are nearly impossible to pick up on a scanner, no matter how good it is.
Which is why a good auction house writes an accurate description in addition to the best scan they can provide.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-21-2024, 10:57 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny T View Post
A gross misrepresentation in my book. Not that my business matters that much to them, but I just removed them from my favorites and will no longer bid in their auctions. No room for this sh*t from a "higher" end AH.
I don't think what "end" the auction house is on should have any impact on how they conduct their business. If this was a smaller or "low end" auction it would be OK???
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-21-2024, 11:13 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Which is why a good auction house writes an accurate description in addition to the best scan they can provide.
Says the fine gentleman with some of the best descriptions in the business.

Quote:
I don't think what "end" the auction house is on should have any impact on how they conduct their business. If this was a smaller or "low end" auction it would be OK???
LOL, no it is only OK when the AH/seller is a friend who does it to others.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:14 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I'm guessing that this post was intended to suggest that we might expect these sorts of shenanigans from some two-bit seller/shyster on eBay, but not from a reputable AH.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-23-2024, 06:06 PM
James

My guess is whoever wrote the description did not have the card in hand. I imagine with many auction houses -- and especially for lots that are middle or lower tier -- the short description is based on the scan the writer is given rather a firsthand review of the card.

In any case, I'd be very surprised if the auction house doesn't allow a refund or offer a workable solution for both parties. As an aside, the main writer for this auction house knows every aspect of the hobby inside and out. He wouldn't be deceitful about the condition of the card, and I'm confident the same is true of the auction house overall. Best to allow them the full opportunity to make this right.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:37 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post

As an aside, the main writer for this auction house knows every aspect of the hobby inside and out.
I wonder who he let write the Goudey Ruth #181 descriptions for this last auction. The blue highlighted text is from the actual auction lot description.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:10 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
I wonder who he let write the Goudey Ruth #181 descriptions for this last auction. The blue highlighted text is from the actual auction lot description.

Ooohhhh, what a gotcha moment! Alert the New York Times!
Old 02-23-2024, 08:51 PM
Chase

Quote:
PWCC was kicked off ebay because they were launching a platform to compete against them, not because they were caught shill bidding.
Huh? What is your source? So you want us to believe eBay not only booted PWCC off of the site but then went out of their way to notify everyone who bought a card from them that they were shill bidding? That is libel so if you know that the actual reason they were booted was because of launching their "competing" platform then you might know why PWCC did not sue the shit out of eBay.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:41 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Huh? What is your source? So you want us to believe eBay not only booted PWCC off of the site but then went out of their way to notify everyone who bought a card from them that they were shill bidding? That is libel so if you know that the actual reason they were booted was because of launching their "competing" platform then you might know why PWCC did not sue the shit out of eBay.
Yes, that is precisely what I'm saying. And the reason they didn't sue for libel is because ebay's lawyers were careful when crafting that email by saying, "individuals associated with PWCC" were shill bidding. In other words, their consigners (ebay's responsibility, not PWCC's) were shilling their own cards. Also, ebay has had a decades long track record of actively enabling shill bidding on their platform. And PWCC has a fully built out auction platform up and running literally one month later. A custom built in house website that had been in development for the better part of a year. This is not just coincidence. There is zero chance that PWCC was kicked off for shilling cards themselves.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:48 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Well, I have good news to report. I received a check from Memory Lane for a full refund on the Goudey Gehrig plus $100 to cover return shipping.

It came as a bit of a surprise though, as I did not receive a follow up phone call or an email response regarding the card after they received it back in hand. They just sent out a check. But I'm OK with that. At least they made it right in the end.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Well, I have good news to report. I received a check from Memory Lane for a full refund on the Goudey Gehrig plus $100 to cover return shipping.

It came as a bit of a surprise though, as I did not receive a follow up phone call or an email response regarding the card after they received it back in hand. They just sent out a check. But I'm OK with that. At least they made it right in the end.
Wise decision on their part, especially if they knew this thread was active.
We'll see, going forward, if they try the same stunt?
Old 02-24-2024, 04:11 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:

Glad it worked out for you in the end!
Old 02-24-2024, 04:23 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:

Congrats Travis. I wouldn’t worry too much about the paucity of communication. If my experience with AH disputes is any guide, sometimes less is more when it comes to communication.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 02-24-2024, 04:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am glad it worked out.

I am in no way excusing selling that card with that scan, but scans are tricky. I try to scan every card I buy and sometimes the same setting on the same scanner produces very different results with different cards. Creases are especially dicey; sometimes they show up, sometimes not.

If I sell a card with a crease online I try to mention the crease even if I can see it, but I am one guy doing all the tasks. The writers at ML might not have had the card in hand, just the scan, when writing it up. When you are scanning large numbers of cards for sale and have a scanner setting down, odds are you are not looking at every scan the way a collector would, and if your work flow is broken up in a manner that leaves the card in the vault and circulates images, this sort of thing can happen as a 'garbage in, garbage out' situation. Now, if ML relists with the same deceptive scans, we veer into the realm of intentionality.

As far as remedying the situation, it doesn't help that most AHs' idea of customer service is that once the card is delivered, service is over. I think it more likely than not that had Snowman not started shit-posting Memory Lane on boards like this, he would still be arguing for a refund.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-25-2024, 07:58 AM
Po.well Mill.er

I believe Memory Lane is reputable and will do the right thing.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell View Post
I believe Memory Lane is reputable and will do the right thing.
Reading comprehension, Powell?

(They already did.)

Old 02-25-2024, 11:31 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
It came as a bit of a surprise though, as I did not receive a follow up phone call or an email response regarding the card after they received it back in hand. They just sent out a check.
That's their way of silently letting you know that they'll refund your money, but they’re really not happy about it. In situations like this, it should always follow up with an apology, regret any inconvenience, whether it was intentional or not. That's the professional thing to do.

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 02-25-2024 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:00 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

This was like a 2K card with an obviously bad scan, not a major sale. I have no doubt ML would have refunded the money once they got the card and confirmed the error/bad scan, regardless of Travis bringing it up here, as the mistake was that clear.

You guys can't really think that ML is in the business of ripping people off for a thousand or two thousand bucks?

If anything, and I don't speak for ML -- they surely could have been pissed about this being outed before they were given the chance to rectify it. I don't blame Travis for doing so, it's a hobby issue and he's certainly allowed. But the negative backlash occurred before they had the chance to make things right and they're not the auction house known for misleading scans. They could be a bit pissed.

No auction house is perfect and shit can happen with so many lots. In this hobby, if an error is fixed painlessly, we should celebrate it.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Celebrate it...

Here ya go. Note the shoes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
This was like a 2K card with an obviously bad scan, not a major sale. I have no doubt ML would have refunded the money once they got the card and confirmed the error/bad scan, regardless of Travis bringing it up here, as the mistake was that clear.

You guys can't really think that ML is in the business of ripping people off for a thousand or two thousand bucks?

If anything, and I don't speak for ML -- they surely could have been pissed about this being outed before they were given the chance to rectify it. I don't blame Travis for doing so, it's a hobby issue and he's certainly allowed. But the negative backlash occurred before they had the chance to make things right and they're not the auction house known for misleading scans. They could be a bit pissed.

No auction house is perfect and shit can happen with so many lots. In this hobby, if an error is fixed painlessly, we should celebrate it.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:33 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
How can you miss the shoes!
Old 02-25-2024, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post

+1. I agree completely with this post and James’ post a few above.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:54 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:

No explanation? That is strange.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:02 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Very smart, business move memory lane good job. No need to address anything send out the check make it right and move on. Good job.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:56 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Yes, that is precisely what I'm saying. And the reason they didn't sue for libel is because ebay's lawyers were careful when crafting that email by saying, "individuals associated with PWCC" were shill bidding. In other words, their consigners (ebay's responsibility, not PWCC's) were shilling their own cards. Also, ebay has had a decades long track record of actively enabling shill bidding on their platform. And PWCC has a fully built out auction platform up and running literally one month later. A custom built in house website that had been in development for the better part of a year. This is not just coincidence. There is zero chance that PWCC was kicked off for shilling cards themselves.
Zero chance ebay was worried about competition from PWCCs platform.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2024, 10:54 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Zero chance ebay was worried about competition from PWCCs platform.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I don't know if "worried" is the right term, but ebay is one of the most aggressive companies there is when it comes to taking out their competition by any means possible. They have a long standing history of buying out and filing suit against small competitors to ensure their monopoly remains in place. PWCC has done hundreds of millions of dollars in transactions over the years. I assure you, eBay wants that business. They have an entire division dedicated to gaining market share in the collectibles space.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:01 AM
Chase

Quote:
I think unless you are a party to either side's legal team, it is pure speculation on your part. "Individuals associated with PWCC" could mean far more than just consignors. It could include employees of PWCC too. It is a matter of convenience for you to conclude eBay was referring to only consignors.

Despite the impressive numbers PWCC did on eBay, they represented a immaterial amount of eBay's bottom line. With that said, I am sure eBay did not want PWCC taking their sales to their own site but if that was a violation of the agreement PWCC had with eBay, namely they will not compete, and then they went ahead and competed, why can't eBay simply steer clear of a potential libel suit and just say, PWCC violated terms and boot them?

Anyway, glad you got made whole by ML. Great to hear that they did the right thing. I still contend it was a complete oversight.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:20 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
He signed on behalf of GAi but I don't think there was any suggestion he was actually authenticating the autographs himself?
there you have it, Hence "From the Mike Baker Collection"

&

Oil's well, that ends well Travis!

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 02-27-2024 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:52 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Anyone who is backing the AH on this should be ashamed of themselves. This is clearly misrepresentation, and the fact that they doubled down after Travis contacted them is an absolute joke. Will be steering very clear of Memory Lane in the future

That is just the beauty of this board. So many people with different opinions. Some support card restoration and some call it alteration.

TJ I am sorry to hear about your issues with the Gehrig. I know you have a great collection and eye for detail. I agree the pics are made to look better than what you got. Glad things were made whole.

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 02-28-2024 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:41 PM
Jeremy

The card is up again in their new action: https://memorylaneinc.com/site//bids...rities-auction
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 04-12-2024, 03:02 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
The card is up again in their new action: https://memorylaneinc.com/site//bids...rities-auction
Looks like they're using the same scan as last time.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 04-12-2024, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Possibly carelessness, but in any case just plain wrong!

brianp(arker)-beme
Old 04-12-2024, 03:30 PM
Chase

Quote:

Probably not the best choice by the house but my take away from this is that if the scan of the Gehrig is so misleading what does that imply about the other scans for the other cards they auction? Not sure we would know if they are getting a lot of returns unless we compare prior auction sales to the current auction.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:30 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
After all of this, it's unbelievable they're using the same scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goudey Gehrig.jpg (194.7 KB, 417 views)
Old 04-12-2024, 03:51 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Who runs Memory Lane these days?

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 04-12-2024 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:09 PM
Matt

The description states creasing and wrinkles. I don't expect an AH with such a huge auction to make sure each and every scan used settings designed to fully convey each card's flaws. Especially for a lower end lot. Rather, if I saw a description of a PSA 1 that stated wrinkles and creasing-- knowing how 1s are graded and knowing how scans do not always show surface issues the way an angled camera photo does-- I would simply ask the AH about the card, perhaps request an additional image.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-12-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:24 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The description states creasing and wrinkles. I don't expect an AH with such a huge auction to make sure each and every scan used setting designed to fully convey each card's flaws. Especially for a lower end lot. Rather, if I saw a description of a PSA 1 that stated wrinkles and creasing-- knowing how 1s are graded and knowing how scans do not always show surface issues the way an angled camera photo does-- I would simply ask the AH about the card, perhaps request an additional image.
The description states creasing and wrinkles. Could be two, could be three, could be 10, could be only on the corners, could be across his face. All of that matters to us. Card image in the auction shows none. As shown by the two images above, it's clearly not that difficult to scan or take a picture of a card that clearly shows the creasing and wrinkles. Bad scanner, bad camera are nothing but excuses. We all want to see exactly what we are going to get.

And for them to relist the same card again, after all of this, is ridiculous.

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 04-12-2024 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:35 PM
Matt

In my own collecting experience, I've seen enough scans at various auctions of lower grade cards to know that a scan can more often than not fail to present the full picture. In reality, I would imagine an AH simply scans each lot and moves onto the next scan, rather than scanning a card and pausing to evaluate whether the scan adequately showcases all the card's flaws, and then re-scanning or adjusting settings to accomplish that. I'd therefore simply put some onus on myself as a shopper if I was interested in the item, and call or email the AH to ask for some more details or images.

So yes, it could be any range of creases or wrinkles and learning the precise degree of wear would matter a great deal; I'd choose direct communication with the AH about the lot as the best route to obtaining that information.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:18 PM
Tony Baldwin

I sent them the scan of the card that shows the wrinkles and creases and asked them to replace it with the current image in their auction. Let's see if they do the right thing!
Old 04-12-2024, 05:29 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrNy1960 View Post
After all of this, it's unbelievable they're using the same scan.
Sadly I expected this to happen. Bowing down to the dollar.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:42 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Well if it's perfectly alright not to disclose alterations, I don't see the problem. Why would it be held to a higher standard of disclosure? Plus, the description says it is creased even, exceeding the standard
Old 04-12-2024, 06:26 PM

Default Gehrig Goudey

FYI, I have just been informed by the Memory Lane office that a high-resolution scan will be posted to the website within the next 24 hours revealing the horizontal wrinkles.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:31 PM
Chase

Quote:
In my own collecting experience, I've seen enough scans at various auctions of lower grade cards to know that a scan can more often than not fail to present the full picture. In reality, I would imagine an AH simply scans each lot and moves onto the next scan, rather than scanning a card and pausing to evaluate whether the scan adequately showcases all the card's flaws, and then re-scanning or adjusting settings to accomplish that. I'd therefore simply put some onus on myself as a shopper if I was interested in the item, and call or email the AH to ask for some more details or images.

So yes, it could be any range of creases or wrinkles and learning the precise degree of wear would matter a great deal; I'd choose direct communication with the AH about the lot as the best route to obtaining that information.
Respectfully disagree that we should now have to reach out to the auction house to see if the scans provided accurately reflect the condition of the card. I mean it should not be that hard to get a scanner that picks up heavy creases like this.

This card was returned to the house for that exact reason and they did not take the time to make any effort? As I asked earlier, what else is hidden in their scans on other lots? Also, if this card is not worth their time putting more effort into then what is their threshold for value where they are a bit more conscientious?

They did refund the buyer, to their credit, but I think they have an all sales final policy like most houses. Burden is on them, imo.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
FYI, I have just been informed by the Memory Lane office that a high-resolution scan will be posted to the website within the next 24 hours revealing the horizontal wrinkles.
Great to hear! Thanks!
Old 04-12-2024, 08:48 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
The description states creasing and wrinkles. I don't expect an AH with such a huge auction to make sure each and every scan used settings designed to fully convey each card's flaws. Especially for a lower end lot. Rather, if I saw a description of a PSA 1 that stated wrinkles and creasing-- knowing how 1s are graded and knowing how scans do not always show surface issues the way an angled camera photo does-- I would simply ask the AH about the card, perhaps request an additional image.
Ya, I'm with you here. Scans often hide creases. We all know that. It was the misleading, at best, description that I had the bigger issue with (although images showing the flaws should be the standard we hold all AHs to). But if I had purchased it with its current description which reads, "Moderate creasing with light wrinkles and soiling." in bold font, then I wouldn't have returned the card. That said, I also wouldn't have bid on it.

As a reminder, the previous description from when I won it read, "Soiling and wear are evident on the front, but nothing takes away from the pinstriped Gehrig central image. Clear verso."

I'll be curious to see what the hammer price is this time around. The one I won sold for $3763.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:06 PM
Daryl

Default Memory Lane Gehrig expectation vs reality

They have added the additional photos. Most notably:

Last edited by 4815162342; 04-12-2024 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:46 AM

[QUOTE=4815162342;2426417]They have added the additional photos. /QUOTE]

Claws like those could scratch the slab!

Brian
Old 04-13-2024, 06:29 AM
TJ D3m@rzi0

Default Memory Lane Gehrig expectation vs reality

Really wish we could now remove “Memory Lane” & “Gehrig” (Replace with “Auction House”) from the title as this is an ongoing issue with the majority of auction houses.

Note: I’m happy Snowman’s issue was resolved & looking forward to the hammer price of the re-listing.

Personally, I wish the topic of image / scan manipulation would get more attention. Same for lack of detail in descriptions.

Here’s an example.

This SGC 2.5 1968 Topps 3-D Test Roberto Clemente card was sold in 2017 by PWCC via eBay. Nice pics & description. Plus, this card is really condition sensitive (plastic was used & degrades over decades) so when buying online, an accurate listing is important. E.g. cracks & discoloration will only worsen over time and i know from owning a graded mint on card kenner star wars vinyl cape jawa that i consigned w/ Hake's last yr (it developed 2 small discoloration spots sometime between 2020 and 2023 that Hake's perfectly disclosed in their July 2023 auction )
https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/items/1500138

This exact card sold again last month via Goldin. While they mentioned the front discoloration was faint (it isn’t) , there was no mention of be back crease / wrinkle. I get it though. The final price wouldn’t have been so high if the pics didn’t have the settings configured as it (e.g. brightness).
https://goldin.co/item/1968-topps-3-...-good-2-5sowtt

Last edited by tjisonline; 04-13-2024 at 02:10 PM.