NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Default Mello-Mint tin and card

Posted By: dan mckee

http://cgi.ebay.com/1910-MELLO-MINT-E105-MURPHY-SMITHS-MELLO-MINT-TIN-CAN_W0QQitemZ8775650737QQcategoryZ86840QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Collectors, please be aware that this tin has NOTHING to do with the Mello-mint cards. The tin was made by a company in PA and the cards from a completely different company in Texas. Dan.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Might the companies be related? They both have Smith in the company name.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Has anyone ever seen, or does anyone own, anything related to the packaging of the Mello Mint cards? Supposedly some of the cards were folded in half in order to fit the packaging, but is there any proof that this is the case, or is it pure speculation? Why are some cards folded, and others not?

If someone could produce anything related to the packaging, or the company, I would be very interested to see it.

The tins are a cool companion display piece regardless.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Richard - this tin is from a Texas company that released the Mellomints. To if the cards were actually packaged inside this type of tin - who knows. If anything, I think this tin looks similar to the PA based company (font style, color, etc). I tend to believe this is not the correct tin used - I would guess the true manufacture would have packaged the cards in packs of gum named Mello-Mint - not tins named Mellomints. However, assuming this was the packaging used, it surely does not lend credence to the idea that cards were folded to fit inside.

For anyone who cares to know the origins, this tin came from an auction about 2 years ago although i can't remember who (maybe Mastronet?). It was advertised as being the correct tin.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I agree with Dan.

Just looking at the back of the card, the "Smiths Mello-Mint Gum" was made by the Texas Gum Company Inc. of Temple Texas. The smaller tins of "Mellomints" were put out by "Brandle Smith Co." of Philadelphia. I dont see a relationship, especially since the "Mello-Mint" is missing the "s" and has a "-" hyphen in name. One seems to be a mint flavored gum from Texas, the other a mint flavored candy from Philadelphia.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

So then, the candy product was wrapped in waxed paper, the card inserted, then sealed or twisted, and packed into the tins? Where are examples of the wax paper - still to be located? Imaginary (the candy was directly placed into the tins)?

Old 03-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Notwithstanding what was represented at time of purchase, the big red tin above is not the container that held both E105 baseball cards and the candy. Nor is the tin on the current eBay auction associated with the E105.

Someone might have bought that big red tin believing it so, and that might have been what the seller represented, but I'm sain' "it ain't so."

The card came with candy, both in a paper wrapper.

Just look at the card and the tin... Mello-Mint vs Mellomints.

Frank.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

Thats a big tin !

Old 03-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

So, what you are saying is that E105 Mello Mints came in packs of gum and not in candy tins like these?

Crap! No wonder why my wife thought I was crazy. She must have known that I was buying the wrong tins!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Old 03-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

where's your mello mint cards?