NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2023, 09:33 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I'm not a Tcard guy, with exceptions, but I tend to agree with you on the 206. Personally my goal as an Ecard collector is a Master Set, a high grade set, a complete back run, and a complete color run. As you know in the Ecard world that's a handful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Thanks Phil!

I am a collector who 100% views my cards as material investments. I love cards, and I have collected them all my life, so it’s a fun investment. The collector in me (and he is a biggun) often takes over, which is why I have numerous back runs and several sets and subsets. However, because I view cards as investments, I stick mostly to the “blue chip” players and sets- Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, Jackson, T206, 1914 CJ, E107, D304, T3, etc.

In my opinion, which ain’t worth much, pre war cards are, in general, pretty good investments, and there is NO set more “blue chip” than T206. Cards, and especially t206, have proven this over the last 5 decades, and the way the “hobby” is going, I suspect that will continue into at least the 2030s. The T206 set is legendary for so many reasons. There may be price fluctuations over the shorter term, but whatever a 520 set costs today in a 2 average, it will likely cost more in 2028. Personally, I think owning a t206 set (any grade) is a great investment.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-28-2023, 05:45 AM

This sums it up well for me- I'm a collector at heart but can't really justify spending big $ on pieces of cardboard unless I think they're good investments too. It would be different if this was 40 years ago and Cobbs were going for under $100- then we could all just be collectors. But it's hard to rationalize spending $1000s on something that's "just" a collection. It's much easier for me to rationalize spending thousands on investments that happen to be more interesting to look at than stock tickers.

Quote:
Thanks Phil!

I am a collector who 100% views my cards as material investments. I love cards, and I have collected them all my life, so it’s a fun investment. The collector in me (and he is a biggun) often takes over, which is why I have numerous back runs and several sets and subsets. However, because I view cards as investments, I stick mostly to the “blue chip” players and sets- Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, Jackson, T206, 1914 CJ, E107, D304, T3, etc.

In my opinion, which ain’t worth much, pre war cards are, in general, pretty good investments, and there is NO set more “blue chip” than T206. Cards, and especially t206, have proven this over the last 5 decades, and the way the “hobby” is going, I suspect that will continue into at least the 2030s. The T206 set is legendary for so many reasons. There may be price fluctuations over the shorter term, but whatever a 520 set costs today in a 2 average, it will likely cost more in 2028. Personally, I think owning a t206 set (any grade) is a great investment.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:24 AM
Jeremy

In general, I am in the group that is broadly skeptical of any vintage baseball cards as long term investments because I am not convinced that future generations are going to care as much about Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson as we do.

However, I also look at it this way. I am 40 years old. I may live another 50 years (maybe more, maybe less). If I wait 20 years to buy a card because then it will be cheaper, I have lost 40% of the value of that card to me, i.e. 20 of the 50 years I could have owned and enjoyed it. (And of course, there is no guarantee that I actually do live that long, or that I am able to enjoy the cards then, or, of course, that the cards do, in fact, go down.) So my compromise is don't put money into cards, any cards, that you are counting on getting back, but don't feel bad about paying for something you enjoy now that might be cheaper a while down the road.
191/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
127/208 T205s
24/108? Diamond Stars
Old 03-28-2023, 08:44 AM
octavio ranzola

i have 189 copies i just buy one here and there,,if they look nice i buy ..simple
Old 03-28-2023, 01:43 PM
P.aul Orl,in

I need a long flight to read all of these posts…i will keep it simple. This hobby is here to stay, the proces may move some but will remain strong. These are highly collectible items, with variety to satisfy nearly all, and people enjoy it. The naysayers sound like Yogi…”it’s so crowded no one goes there anymore!”.

Last edited by puckpaul; 03-28-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:18 PM

Americans love collectibles.

Over the past 100+ years of this country, what collectibles rival baseball cards in terms of popularity, staying power and value?

Coca-Cola items
Beanie Babies
Records
Coins
Stamps
Train sets
Art
Figurines
Holiday decor
Comic Books
Pokemon
Hats
Silverware
Cars
Signs
Motorcycles
Travel souveniers
Plates/Cups/Dishes
Antiques
Marbles
etc., etc., etc.

Where do baseball cards rank - are they perhaps the #1 collectible in the entire country over the last century ? I'm gonna guess yes!
Old 03-28-2023, 03:05 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
My understanding is that you don't collect baseball cards, except for Clemons, who has like 3 or 4 cards.

I wouldn't go to a Classic Mustang chat board and tell people that one day in the future Ford's will be worthless. For me it's a fun hobby.
No, he has 6 not including the reprint, but has at least 1 colgan's chips as well. I seen 2 listed, but have only seen 1 that has actually surfaced. The curtis ireland have no idea if any exist. I actually find it much more challenging trying to find his cards then many that are easy to get. Especially if you have endless funds. I actually had cards when I was younger from the 30s 50s through the 70s. My Mom gave them away. I collect more than just Verne,he's just part of.

Sad fact is many classic cars will be worthless other than museum pieces. The same thing is happening with them as with any other hobby which turns more into an investment. The big pockets drive the market out of reach for the common person to participate, and people lose interest because they can't have, but to dream of. If you actually compare the two they have a lot of similarities on how both have been turned into investments vs hobby.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:30 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
Very few things survive in our culture.

My grandfather was a baseball fan, went to games, collected cards.
My dad was a baseball fan, went to games, collected cards.
I am a baseball fan, attended games, collect cards.
My kid is a fan, has gone to games, collects cards.

Baseball will continue to be played well after I am gone. And I suspect cards will continue to be made and collected many, many years from now.

My guess is that baseball cards and collecting are one of the few things that will survive.
Cool story, but that's the only way most people can have the cards many can't afford today from yesteryear. I can guarantee my Great grandfather, my grandfather, my dad and my son don't share the same interests. Until my dad there was little money, and lots of kids that worked as farm hands. Frivolous items didn't exist in their lives. My dad had a stick and rock to play Baseball with. He slept in a barn because they had a two room house for 8 kids and had no indoor plumbing. I can guarantee none of them went to a baseball game or had a card. If any where still here I would ask them.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:50 PM
Chad

Quote:
Of course, I don’t know the answer to this. But I do know prices have gone up regularly and steadily over the 40 years I have been collecting, despite the fact that every person who saw and remember the t206 players has been dead for decades. I believe that trend will continue.

Vintage Vern, you can play with your cars. I will play with my cardboard. Time will tell who is right.
Unfortunately I don't have any cars to play with. I wasn't afforded the luxury of getting them for a song and a dance 40 to 50 years ago. My dad passed away at 59 and my mom had to sell what he had to live, so I got nothing passed down.The car hobby has been lost to investments over hobby, and it started in the late 80s. The people that hold them want more than most can afford or many don't have the appeal of what people want today. This is happening with every aspect of life for most along with the hobbies that all become investments when big pockets take over.

My parents bought a house for the same money I can buy a top of the line TV for today. My cell phone bill is more than the cost they had for the entire month of living expenses. Cars will always be here same as cards, but less people can afford them. The market will always fade. I'll put it this way. If I could afford to build a show car like my dad was able to do it wouldn't be from the same era of vehicles, same with my son. We may all have the same interest, but wouldn't be the same type of cars. Cards will also follow this path for the most part. I doubt if you where just starting out today with today's prices your outlook would be the same. Its not a buy low sell high type of thing in today's market. Its buy high hope it goes higher. It will for the big fish, but that's about it. Some people are forgetting they started this trend that are posting here 40 50 60 years ago. To say new blood will keep this thing going is a hard sell in my opinion. A big reason is the amount you will get, to what they will have to pay to keep it as popular. Our own greed is a huge part of the problem. It turns a hobby into an investment.

Last edited by Vintage Vern; 03-28-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:09 PM
Rob

Thanks for the feedback, Chad. I don't know why I always mistake your name as "Vern", and have to correct myself.

I have said on here before, that your style of card collecting is advanced and difficult. It's as time consuming as running down a 500 card set 1 by 1, but much less expensive. I defer to your knowledge on the Clemons' cards.

I try not to predict the future, especially for others. My predictions look like the movie "Logan's Run". You escape to paradise with a British model, but Hercule Poirot has already arrived before you, sitting there in rags with his pet cats.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:59 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Chad. I don't know why I always mistake your name as "Vern", and have to correct myself.

I have said on here before, that your style of card collecting is advanced and difficult. It's as time consuming as running down a 500 card set 1 by 1, but much less expensive. I defer to your knowledge on the Clemons' cards.

I try not to predict the future, especially for others. My predictions look like the movie "Logan's Run". You escape to paradise with a British model, but Hercule Poirot has already arrived before you, sitting there in rags with his pet cats.
Another issue for me is trying to locate 1 player with 3 different spellings of his first name. I even mistakenly used Vern on accident. Vern, Verne and Vernon are all used Verne is the correct spelling. Also some of his early years before he played for the Cardinals, in minor league ball at least one club spelled his last name Clemens. I also found some magic lantern slides and they had mistaken him as Hornsby. I've tossed this out before, but another person from my small town of 140 at best probably closer to 100 was Dick "Sherb" Noble who was one of the founders of Dairy Queen. The only other was a baseball player who is still living is Jerry Mehlisch. Jerry never made it to the majors do to injuries and polio. Jerry did play with two distinct players Jim Grant aka Mudcat. He was the first African American to win 20 games in the majors and also the first to win a world series game. The other guy was some clown named Roger Maris.

Last edited by Vintage Vern; 03-28-2023 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:29 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Stars will continue to rise, but the commons (especially low grade) are coming down.
Admittedly, commons were $10-15 when I got my set, but beaters seem to be in the $40 range now.