NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-23-2022, 03:30 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Post Your Stupidly Thankfuls...

Only two simple rules for this day before Thanksgiving thread...

Part 1: We always hear about the 'real' things people are thankful for (health, family, etc.), but post one or two 'stupid' things that you are actually thankful for. Yes, the definition of "stupid" is up to you.

Part 2: Post a card that you are thankful for and explain WHY.

• I am thankful that NFL games out here start at 10:00 in the morning (and 9:30AM on Thanksgiving), as opposed to the traditional 1PM time slot that was part of my DNA. Instead of the dark, freezing, smothering winter skies when games end in New York, out here you are still greeted by all sorts of sunshine once the last whistle blows (here's where a link to The Ramones' version of 'California Sun' should be).

And ramen, I am hugely thankful for recently 'discovering' ramen!! Never had it in college, and have no idea why I was so unfamiliar with this cheap, delicious stuff. Love cooking up a late night bowl and flooding it with hot Chinese mustard. So thankful!!

• I am terribly thankful to have a 1972 Topps Willie Mays #49 card. As a kid I was forever regaled with stories about the man from my father (a sadly reminiscent Brooklyn fan), so just glancing at Willie's semi-smiling face on this piece of cardboard (a card which was the gold standard for my brothers and I when we first started collecting) will forever do my heart good!!

1972mays49psa9oc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:59 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A graphic representation of how this 'let's have a little fun' thread did...

Hindenburg.jpg

Guess I'll go enjoy some Maruchan.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 11-23-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:25 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I am thankful for lots of stupid things. I'm thankful some dude figured out that urinating in the river the village drank from was a bad idea. I'm thankful my family shuts up about politics during Thanksgiving dinner. I'm thankful some Silicon Valley nerds figured out this internet thing so we can trade cards easier. I'm thankful for my man Melvil Dewey making my library easy to organize.

I'm thankful I get to live a good life and spend time on silly pieces of cardboard, and that the good lord(s)/sacred idol/grandest poobah/random entropic chance has allowed me and my remaining loved ones to live this long. I'm thankful I snagged this proof panel, of what was for a long time my dream card. It's exciting to scratch off the top item on my waitlist after a decade plus of it being there, but it was more fun to discover an entire block of them representing 66% of all known copies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Donovan.jpg (78.8 KB, 171 views)
Old 11-23-2022, 09:20 PM
Jeremy

Greg, great panel and I echo your sentiments!

I am stupidly thankful for my growing 19th Century collection. I've had an absolute blast putting this together and researching these players along with many others while putting together my YouTube bios for many of them.

I hope to continue to grow this collection and learn even more about these forgotten heroes of this great game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19cTeam.jpg (179.4 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Rad_Hazard; 11-23-2022 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

It's hard to go wrong with N cards, but the Goodwin Champions Glasscock is one of my absolute favorites. Beautiful artwork.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Only two simple rules for this day before Thanksgiving thread...

Part 1: We always hear about the 'real' things people are thankful for (health, family, etc.), but post one or two 'stupid' things that you are actually thankful for. Yes, the definition of "stupid" is up to you.

Part 2: Post a card that you are thankful for and explain WHY.

• I am thankful that NFL games out here start at 10:00 in the morning (and 9:30AM on Thanksgiving), as opposed to the traditional 1PM time slot that was part of my DNA. Instead of the dark, freezing, smothering winter skies when games end in New York, out here you are still greeted by all sorts of sunshine once the last whistle blows (here's where a link to The Ramones' version of 'California Sun' should be).

And ramen, I am hugely thankful for recently 'discovering' ramen!! Never had it in college, and have no idea why I was so unfamiliar with this cheap, delicious stuff. Love cooking up a late night bowl and flooding it with hot Chinese mustard. So thankful!!

• I am terribly thankful to have a 1972 Topps Willie Mays #49 card. As a kid I was forever regaled with stories about the man from my father (a sadly reminiscent Brooklyn fan), so just glancing at Willie's semi-smiling face on this piece of cardboard (a card which was the gold standard for my brothers and I when we first started collecting) will forever do my heart good!!

Attachment 543843
Ramem...now that is a lifetime of discovering...like cards. Try the spicy miso (ramen) Ramen..Garlic Ramen (broth) is also rare and unique

Thankful for: sports colllectors ahead of me who kept cards from the 30-50-50-60's pristine. Sometimes it is just hard to believe they made it this far in such good conditions. My neighbors were a bit older in the 1970's..they kept theirs in a trash bag? Whut?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2022, 02:26 PM

I'm thankful for my Big Green Egg, which my friends gave me during covid. It was a bribe so to speak: they invited themselves and their kids (13 in total) over to our beach house for a long weekend. But I now use the egg almost every weekend possible to smoke or cook. It's awesome and got another one for the main house. (I need someone to gift me running sneakers to exercise....)

As for for cards: I'm thankful for the 1975 topps baseball cards. That was the first year I got into cards and the sport. Played everyday of the summer (think sand lot) and watched as many games as I could. I only have a few from that summer (was 9 yrs old) which somehow were saved by my parents but have a full set, a full mini set and about 250 autographed cards (which I've collected as an adult). I can't post pictures of them now as I'm away but some of my favorite ones include: Mays/Berra 54 MVP card, Seaver, Ryan, Reggie. I also have many of the Reds and Red Sox since it was such an impressional WS.

Last edited by cesarcap; 11-26-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Stupid thankful: gluten-free burrito wrappers. Saw them at the market the other day. Our house is gluten-free. I had a burrito for breakfast this morning and it was wonderful.

Card thankful:

1920 Universal Toy & Novelty Ruth-Johnson-Sisler-Coveleski. I cannot believe I own a Ruth this rare and early.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-26-2022 at 10:46 PM.