NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsticks View Post
I was told to ignore Shelly because of who he is and what he's done. However, he accused me of going on Haulsofshame and talking about operation foul ball. I never said a word about that because until recently I didn't know anything about it. However, I'm starting to get the picture. I've never personally attacked anyone but I will defend myself when falsely accused. This includes my autographs.

As of today, neither Shelly nor has anyone else provided an alternative to this. I am putting them out there. No takers for authenticity? They must be real then because no one wants to look like a horse's ass when they are proven wrong!
I can only imagine who told you to ignore Shelly,, and you believed him??
So nice of that person to do it privately and not do it on the board. But why be surprised by that?
What Shelly did was many, many years ago and most of the people on this board are in a forgive and forget mode when it comes to Shelly. Shelly has been one of the most helpful members on this board and I am glad to say he is my friend. Not only helpful on the board but he has done much work to stop the proliferation of forgeries in this damned hobby.
And how do you propose to PROVE someone wrong with those autographed photos. Nobody can really prove anything. Someone can give their opinion on them but that is all you can get.
And if you really do want to ignore Shelly there is an easy way to do it. The ignore option is one of the best things about Net54. Use it.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-01-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
And how do you propose to PROVE someone wrong with those autographed photos. Nobody can really prove anything.
Then perhaps they should stop attacking the consignors.

Because--and I'm sure you'll tell us, Richard--all the forgers you're aware of--whose names you dare not speak--join Net54 to defend their forgeries online.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Nobody can really prove anything. Someone can give their opinion on them but that is all you can get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
The Babe Ruth signed ticket and the Eddie Gaedel signed photo were penned by the same person. 100%.
Is this being stated as opinion, or absolute fact?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:39 PM
De.an Lai.gle

Shelly,

I've stated time and time again that my LOP is accurate as what was told to me. If you ask a child a question will you get the same answer the next time you ask him the same question? That is where I am at. I am trying to protect my mother and her failing memory and health. Yes, her version was slightly different than mine but ask her again tomorrow and you'll get another version. That's all I'm saying. You don't have to come right out and say they are fake. Your posts and comments have indicated that. I have no reason to lie as I am not keeping any of the money. I have an ailing mother who cares for my brother who has MS and their home has been foreclosed on. There, I've said what I didn't want public. My reason to get them authenticated by someone else was to get more or less a second opinion. Not someone like you looking at a picture of a picture. I've brought a lot of embarrassment to my family because we are private people and don't think anyone needs to know our life history but that is something I will deal with. Choose your words more carefully and limit your attacks and maybe you won't be bashed so much on here.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I feel for your mother and I wish her only the best.

"Choose your words more carefully and limit your attacks and maybe you won't be bashed so much on here."
As for that statement the basing is limited to about one complete a hole.
Have a nice day.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 PM

LOL! "Now that I've done everything I could to make it impossible for you, now that I've called your autographs forgeries, and called you a liar, have a nice day."

Who's the "a hole"?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:24 PM
J0n Fu.ld

D,

I wish your family well too.

Withdrawal was not a great idea from a financial point of view. And what was of concern, among a few other items, was that few make decisions contrary to their financial incentive.

I think your only means of rehabbing the withdrawal decision is to present additional positive information - (i) be forthright with regard to the particulars of provenance, just stand tall and do it, and (ii) get a PSA cert in addition for all of the photos. can ask REA, or another house, Hunt, SCP, Heritage, Lelands, etc. to ask PSA to review additional information you provide and the auction houses may cover upfront -discounted- costs for PSA review.

I think if you can get a second (PSA) cert, and provide more details regarding provenance, you may make up for the withdrawal.

With regard to historical items, you are buying a percentage chance of authenticity. 90% chance a piece is signed by Ruth, the price is 7k, 70% chance of authenticity, the price if 5k, 50% chance the price is 3k etc etc. (these are not the actual prices, just illustrative).

And this is because the more knowledgeable collectors will compete for the higher percentage pieces. You want to increase the percentage chance of an autograph being real when you present it to market. It is not just a question of getting a cert and finding a willing auction house. You want 10k, 20k - not 3k, 5k! Give as much information as you can, and get the additional PSA if you can.

I wish you and your family well.

Last edited by BigJJ; 05-02-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 PM

Excellent advice, Jon.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJJ View Post
D,
With regard to historical items, you are buying a percentage chance of authenticity. 90% chance a piece is signed by Ruth, the price is 7k, 70% chance of authenticity, the price if 5k, 50% chance the price is 3k etc etc. (these are not the actual prices, just illustrative).
Yeah, I know they are just illustrative - I posted almost the exact thing earlier today

Jon - call Peter, he's hiring.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsticks View Post
Shelly,

I've stated time and time again that my LOP is accurate as what was told to me. If you ask a child a question will you get the same answer the next time you ask him the same question? That is where I am at. I am trying to protect my mother and her failing memory and health. Yes, her version was slightly different than mine but ask her again tomorrow and you'll get another version. That's all I'm saying. You don't have to come right out and say they are fake. Your posts and comments have indicated that. I have no reason to lie as I am not keeping any of the money. I have an ailing mother who cares for my brother who has MS and their home has been foreclosed on. There, I've said what I didn't want public. My reason to get them authenticated by someone else was to get more or less a second opinion. Not someone like you looking at a picture of a picture. I've brought a lot of embarrassment to my family because we are private people and don't think anyone needs to know our life history but that is something I will deal with. Choose your words more carefully and limit your attacks and maybe you won't be bashed so much on here.
Shelly receives far more praise on here than bashing.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 AM
De.an Lai.gle

BigJJ, Runscott, Big Dave, and David.......Thanks for providing me some sound advice and words of wisdom. I am not a collector per se, but have held on to these for decades and just don't want to see them not go for what they could be worth based on someone's negativity. I have come to the conclusion that IF I do entertain the idea of selling them again, I will be more prudent and probably sell them one at a time. When I pulled them (Yes...I did, not Rob) they were worth nearly 30K. I would hope that would let some people on here know that it wasn't the money, it was how things transpired and the mistrust that forced me to do this. Yes, I could have left them on there and collected a nice check, but that is not me. I am one of the most honest people anyone would ever meet and if there was cause and concern that they were not real then I did not want to be part of a scam.

All I've ever asked for was help in proving they were real as in my heart, I know they are. You'd have to know me and the 90 year old to base your judgments on us. The Honus Wagner was very hard to part with and it has had the highest bids. Maybe I'll start with him first. Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Shelly receives far more praise on here than bashing.
I'd say you're right if you count all yours and Chris's praise of him, otherwise it looks to be to be about 50/50
Old 05-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I'd say you're right if you count all yours and Chris's praise of him, otherwise it looks to be to be about 50/50
Excluding assumed comments by one particular member it probably comes out to 80/20.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-02-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Excluding assumed comments by one particular member it probably comes out to 80/20.
You crack me up Richard.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM
J0n Fu.ld

D,
My grandfather kept his t206s, my dad his 50s cards, and since age 6, now over 30 years ago, all I have collected/dealt is pre-war autos and game used and mostly of Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Lajoie, Cobb, and Wagner plus Mantle. 7 players. Mostly game used today. but for about 10 years it was autos. I have reviewed thousands of Ruths. Your Ruths did, and do, look good to me. and though I much respect other opinions, I always review myself. I had bid on one.
What threw me was the withdrawal. and from REA. Rob is very smart and I know the due diligence he performs. I could not understand withdrawal but for concerns regarding either authenticity or ownership. and JSA does a good job too. we all make errors but they do a good job.
So I was a little thrown by a withdrawal on items REA, JSA and I had already signed off on.
Emotion as a reason for withdrawal - was this in the contract ?! I did not account for. After thousands of auctions and 30 years, I had never heard of items being withdrawn from an auction due to emotions.
But they did look good to me. ideally need name of the original owner ! and PSA.
and now you have removed your anonymity with regard to the items, people know you owned them, not an anonymous consignor, this is a plus.
My best.

Last edited by BigJJ; 05-02-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM
De.an Lai.gle

Thanks BigJJ....I may have been too emotional when I had Rob remove them. We have spoken since and all is good between us. Rob was very apologetic as there was a miscommunication between ourselves. I guess I pulled them more because I was pissed at him at the time. Like I said earlier, he upset my mother and my family is now privy of what I was trying to do. I am fine with my name being out there but do not want my mother to be bothered by all this. She gets upset easily and doesn't need the emotional pain in her life right now. I am sorry I pulled them off if you were interested in one or more of them. When all this dies down, if you're still interested we can talk. I would like nothing more than to have a true collector possess these.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM

As I said before, they look good to me, as well. I have been collecting for more than fifty years, and obtained my first Ruth autograph in 1965.

But, like BigJJ, I'm not a member of the elite "Net54 2%."