NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default OT: Did you catch the pilot episode of Pitch

You can watch it on FOX or HULU.

Talented baseball pitcher Ginny Baker immediately rises to fame when she is called up by the San Diego Padres and becomes the first woman in Major League Baseball. She immediately sets in on the task of proving herself to her teammates, starting with team captain and catcher Mike Lawson. The two share an immediate chemistry, putting Mike in the middle of tensions between the beautiful new player and certain teammates who don't appreciate a woman out on the mound. Not all of her fellow Padres are so averse to change, with center fielder Blip Sanders providing support through her journey.

I thought it was awesome.

Check out the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0wLCGwYZ3g

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard

Last edited by Buythatcard; 09-23-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:12 PM
David Kathman

I saw the second half of it. Looked promising.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Dave

She better be a junk-baller.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Tony Quinn

Default I'm gonna get reamed for this I bet.....

I just pray it never happens. Love women, just not in sports. Can't guys just have something not invaded by women? I watch sports BECAUSE it's a guy thing. I won't even watch a telecast if it has a woman announcer (sideline reporters or pre/post game are ok just not play by play or color). Whoever she is that they have on ESPN Sunday night baseball completely ruined that broadcast for me. If I want to hear a female blather on about a game I'll have my wife come and sit next to me.
Sorry if this is all over the top sexist, I just believe women should stay out of men's sports.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:47 PM

The Padres were a good choice for the team she plays on...their pitching staff could use a little help.

Brian
Old 09-23-2016, 12:58 PM
Marty H.

I enjoyed it. I think I'll be a regular watcher.
Also, I think it would be phenomenal if a woman became a big league player
Old 09-23-2016, 01:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I too think it would be amazing if a woman made it to the major leagues. Talk about reinvigorating the sport. Would be amazing.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:33 PM

The aspect of the show I don't like is that they make a woman playing professional sports seem like a fantasy. The buzz isn't that this woman is good at baseball, it's that she's a woman playing a sport. That's not really tearing down any walls. I'd like to see the show focus on her skill and abilities rather than the fact that she's a woman doing something.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:54 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I'd rather see a show where a women makes in the NFL as a nose tackle!
Old 09-23-2016, 02:19 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

A female nose tackle is the last thing I would want to see!!

I played baseball through college (Big East)...this was through the early 1990's, so we are talking 25 years ago. I played with and against guys who excelled at that level, and several who played professionally, and a few who made the big leagues, and one who is in the Hall of Fame. From what I have seen in terms of athleticism and quickness, I am certain there are some softball players who, if they were to have played baseball since they were a child, would be good enough to have played at the division one college baseball level back then. At a minimum. Again, grain of salt as it has been a long time and players are very likely bigger, stronger and faster than they were back then. But I have seen some incredible stuff from some freakishly athletic females. The pitching they face is the equivilent of a 100+ MPH fastball. The game of softball is much faster than baseball due to the small field. The quickness on display is amazing.

I do not think that you could take someone who has played softball all her life and throw her onto a baseball field. That would be completely unfair. But if one of the top, most athletic softball players had instead grown up playing baseball, I have little doubt that there would be females in the minor leagues.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 09-23-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:29 PM

There are several women in Independent League ball and there was a French woman who plays shortstop that played for France's under 18 junior national team.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:35 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I too think it would be amazing if a woman made it to the major leagues. Talk about reinvigorating the sport. Would be amazing.
As long as she is as good or better than the guy who's behind her on the depth chart I am for it but given how velocity oriented baseball is I can't see it happen other than as a gimmicky tool to get people in the stadium. I honestly can't imagine a woman as a position player.

Not really a very intriguing storyline to me personally so I doubt I'll watch it. Hopefully they have actors that actually look like they are decent ball players (pet peeve of mine with baseball movies).

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 09-23-2016, 02:37 PM

Why no position players? There are plenty of women faster than the average player and you don't need to hit home runs to make it in the big leagues.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:52 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
I just pray it never happens. Love women, just not in sports. Can't guys just have something not invaded by women? I watch sports BECAUSE it's a guy thing. I won't even watch a telecast if it has a woman announcer (sideline reporters or pre/post game are ok just not play by play or color). Whoever she is that they have on ESPN Sunday night baseball completely ruined that broadcast for me. If I want to hear a female blather on about a game I'll have my wife come and sit next to me.
Sorry if this is all over the top sexist, I just believe women should stay out of men's sports.
as a met fan --- Id trade tebow for some hot chick anyday if she can actually pitch, lol
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Why no position players? There are plenty of women faster than the average player and you don't need to hit home runs to make it in the big leagues.
Being fast just simply isn't enough. Sure there are women faster than some men but it would need to be a perfect storm as far as skill set for a woman to do everything as well as a Major League player. Again, if they are as skilled I'd be for it I just would not hold my breath that it is going to happen.

I could see a woman making it in the minors just not at that elite Major League level.

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 09-23-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:11 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
And at the top levels they face softballs being thrown at 70+ MPH from 46 feet away. That is the equivilent of a mid 90's fastball. Plus the movement on the pitches is crazy.

Having caught softballs thrown to me by low level division one softball players (read: Northeast...not California), I can tell you that these girls could throw a baseball just fine from the infield or the outfield.

I have zero doubt that an incredibly gifted, athletic female who comes up and plays baseball right from the start instead of softball....she would have a shot to play in the minor leagues. I have no doubt at all. Unfortunately there are very few opportunities for girls to continue playing baseball past little league. Their parents are smart to follow the money. The money will lead a very good female baseball player against boys to be an exceptional softball player against girls...much better chance at a college scholorship that route.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 09-23-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

there was a girl on my sons little league team last year. I was the manager - was a Coach pitch league - 7 & 8 year olds. The girl was the not only the best player on our team, But IMO she was top 3 in the league. the league had 13 teams with 12 kids on a team. Yea she was one of the 8 year olds but she was awesome. crushed almost every pitch into the OF, there were no stats, BUT I know, cause i was manager and i was pitching, that in 22 games, she only got out twice. Both times it was due to her trying to stretch a single into a double, or she would of his 1000 for the season, lol
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 09-23-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:38 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If you watch this gladiator type show on now with men and women doing insane stuff (my kids love it), it's remarkable what athletes and how strong some of these woman are. The idea that they couldn't have the skills to be a major league second baseman or first baseman is laughable. I'd like to see Lucas Duda doing some of the things these women do.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:39 PM
Eric Perry

The question perhaps should be: why would we not want women in professional baseball?

Alta Weiss should have been given a shot at the majors. The AAGPBL was, by most accounts, successful. Other young ladies, before and since, have shown exceptional promise.

I say, "let them play."
Old 09-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
The idea that they couldn't have the skills to be a major league second baseman or first baseman is laughable.
I don't know that having doubt that a woman can play in the MAJOR LEAGUES is all that laughable. It is 2016 and no woman has ever come anywhere close to doing so so until someone proves otherwise I think most will have their doubts. Again, we are talking the Major Leagues here not the minors, I'm sure there are some great athletes that could potentially break into the minors.

Then again based on what everyone is saying in this thread I should just sit back and wait as apparently it is a foregone conclusion that it will happen. I guess I'm being laughable to doubt it!

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 09-23-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:36 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
A female nose tackle is the last thing I would want to see!!

I played baseball through college (Big East)...this was through the early 1990's, so we are talking 25 years ago. I played with and against guys who excelled at that level, and several who played professionally, and a few who made the big leagues, and one who is in the Hall of Fame. From what I have seen in terms of athleticism and quickness, I am certain there are some softball players who, if they were to have played baseball since they were a child, would be good enough to have played at the division one college baseball level back then. At a minimum. Again, grain of salt as it has been a long time and players are very likely bigger, stronger and faster than they were back then. But I have seen some incredible stuff from some freakishly athletic females. The pitching they face is the equivilent of a 100+ MPH fastball. The game of softball is much faster than baseball due to the small field. The quickness on display is amazing.

I do not think that you could take someone who has played softball all her life and throw her onto a baseball field. That would be completely unfair. But if one of the top, most athletic softball players had instead grown up playing baseball, I have little doubt that there would be females in the minor leagues.

Tom C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcRvg8XGSjE

I'm all for it. See no reason, if they are good enough, to not let them play.

My son finished playing 4 on 4 hockey this past June (A Champs btw!) and on one of the teams he played, had 2 girls on it.
Imo, this was an extension of Rep hockey, only without contact, but both these girls (one was slightly better than the other) knew how to, and could play hockey!!

We were told, the better one was awarded a U.S. Scholarship this coming year.

Do I ever think girls/women will be in the NHL? Not likely, due to the physical nature of it, but Hockey is also softening up somewhat (crack down on fighting/dirty hits/headshots, etc) so you never know?
Old 09-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Not a chance a woman would even come close to reaching MLB as a pitcher. Maybe, just maybe as a singles hitting outfielder.

Remember, the 1000th ranked tennis player would easily crush Serena Williams in tennis.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:12 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Woman are getting stronger all the time but so are men. As long as a woman can play a position that a team needs to fill then I think they will have a shot.
I can see them used as pinch runners or brought in for a defensive move in the infield.
Don't think they will ever be able to throw a fastball that a major league player cannot hit. Just like the character in Pitch, she would need a pitch like a screwball that she has mastered.

The show compares her to Jackie Robinson. I don't see the comparison. He had to deal with a stadium full of people who threw all kinds of anti racial slurs at him. She had the support of the fans.

I would love seeing woman play the game. It might shut up some of these inflated heads that play the game today.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 09-23-2016, 06:14 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Not a chance a woman would even come close to reaching MLB as a pitcher. Maybe, just maybe as a singles hitting outfielder.

Remember, the 1000th ranked tennis player would easily crush Serena Williams in tennis.
+1 big time. TV shows and movies can be about dreams and what ifs, but this concept is just ridiculous, period....Also, Serena Williams has bigger legs than Earl Campbell! What's up with that?

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 09-23-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:06 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post

Remember? What am I remembering? Did that match actually happen?
Old 09-23-2016, 07:32 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
+1

I DO seem to remember Billie Jean King whipping Bobby Riggs' butt in a real tennis match.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:05 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
+1

I DO seem to remember Billie Jean King whipping Bobby Riggs' butt in a real tennis match.
Eric....Really??
Old 09-23-2016, 08:24 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
+1

Let's see...Riggs was at least 25 -30 yrs older than Billie Jean King. Also, he wasn't even hitting the ball hard, especially on his serve. I'm baffled how this event is brought up in the discussion. That was a show, not a sporting event....
Old 09-23-2016, 08:49 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I'd rather watch Supergirl. That's more realistic than a female MLB player.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:31 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
+1

He threw the match to pay off gambling debts.

A couple months earlier, he DESTROYED world #1, and all-time great, Margaret Court. Well over 50, never an elite player himself, and he beat #1. Badly.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:33 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
As long as she is as good or better than the guy who's behind her on the depth chart I am for it but given how velocity oriented baseball is I can't see it happen other than as a gimmicky tool to get people in the stadium. I honestly can't imagine a woman as a position player.

Not really a very intriguing storyline to me personally so I doubt I'll watch it. Hopefully they have actors that actually look like they are decent ball players (pet peeve of mine with baseball movies).
According to Mark-Paul Gosselaar , who plays the catcher, MLB had input on the actors. They were required to look credible playing baseball.

Last edited by Tabe; 09-25-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:17 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
+1
Old 09-24-2016, 07:13 AM
Nick Barnes

The things working against a woman in MLB are simply a numbers game:

How many women play baseball at a continuous and high enough level for a long enough period of time to develop? very few as they tend to play softball and adjust

Of those women who DO play baseball, how many of them are going to have the overall talent level to even be draft worthy? very few as the law of averages tells us that the smaller the sample size the lower the chance for extreme results. if you have a draft pool of 10 the odds of excellence are lower than a draft pool of 10,000.

Of those women who ARE drafted how many are going to fight off injuries, slumps, lack of development, jolts in the level of opposing talent...etc to reach the major leagues? once again, very very low chance as the total numbers involved would be so low as the odds of making it are pretty much nil. Heck the odds of being a top 100 prospect and sticking long term as an avg major leaguer are like 25% or something like that.

IMO, the problem is numbers. Women don't play baseball when younger very often and because softball is a scholarship sport for women in NCAA it would seem to work against their own best interest to do so. their skill sets tend to lean towards pitching but where are they going to develop overhand pitching skills ? and IF a woman did get drafted, the odds for her advancement are very low.

Not to mention that any sane front office who wants to "break the wall" so to speak MUST advance a quality player. If she comes up and is awful....well
Old 09-24-2016, 06:06 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
The announcer you refer to on ESPN Sunday Night baseball is Jessica Mendoza. Can't stand her either as you do not understand what she is saying until she is 3/4 way through a sentence. You could replace her voice with a cackling chicken and not tell the difference. She also cannot give an unbiased commentary of the game which is annoying to the fans. It is also bad with the guys they pair her up with as they all start talking about crap that has nothing to do with the game. Fox network is almost as bad in my opinion. Bring back the days of Harry Carey and Bob Ueker. They were at least entertaining.

Last edited by kmac32; 09-24-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:19 PM

Jackie Mitchell struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig at 17 years old. MLB then formally banned women from competing in the league until 1992. That's not good for the game. The game should appeal to anyone good enough to play it. I think credit is due where credit is deserved. I'm not really sure how baseball is lessened by women participating in the game. Does anyone think they could have hit Jennie Finch?

Last edited by packs; 09-24-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Ron

Quote:
+2
Won't watch college football with female announcers either.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Jackie Mitchell struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig at 17 years old. MLB then formally banned women from competing in the league until 1992. That's not good for the game. The game should appeal to anyone good enough to play it. I think credit is due where credit is deserved. I'm not really sure how baseball is lessened by women participating in the game. Does anyone think they could have hit Jennie Finch?
some historians seem to think that it was a publicity stunt and they K'd on purpose:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...no-ist=&page=3
Old 09-24-2016, 09:14 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Does anyone think they could have hit Jennie Finch?
I wouldn't mind hitting ON Jennie Finch.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:48 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I wouldn't mind hitting ON Jennie Finch.
BOOYAH! *jazz drums rim shot*
Old 09-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Nope, not that I remember.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:14 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Women in Professional Male Sports

The last female I remember attempting to play in the male division of a professional sport was Michelle Wie in golf. It didn't work out very well for her at the time, and may have even been detrimental to her future success on the LPGA tour. However, golf is the one sport I think a female could someday compete with males professionally. As far as baseball, football, and basketball, I just don't see it happening.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:40 PM

I don't see why a female kicker in the NFL is outside the realm of possibility.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:42 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Golf is a sport?

J/K
But really I don't see women out driving men on average.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I've never understood why men and women don't compete against each other in professional bowling. It doesn't seem like superior strength is that much of an advantage when it comes to knocking down pins. But I don't follow bowling, so not really looking to incite a debate about it.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
I don't see why a female kicker in the NFL is outside the realm of possibility.
That along with possibly Hockey Goalie are the two most likely positions where a female could potential break down barriers. There are some things even with those positions that are problematic. Goalie in hockey is really exhausting and you need quite a bit of stamina to do that (other than that it isn't really power oriented and you rely simply on instinct and athletic ability.) The problem with being a place kicker or punter in football is that it really does require a LOT of generated power in your legs. There are some girls that could do this at least at the high school and college level, the NFL requires a nearly freakish level of accuracy that is extremely difficult to balance power and accuracy to the degree the NFL kicker needs (they should get more credit for what they do).

Old 09-26-2016, 05:38 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I don't mind the premise so much, but the choice to cast a gorgeous actress with big boobs as well as make her character play the single most unrealistic position for a woman will be why I'm not gonna waste my time with it. if you're going to do a stretch of a story like this, you need to make it as realistic and probable as possible. This show adds up to a modern day baseball themed fairy tail, IMO.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Pete Sycks

I'm more worried about how the directors are going to make Zack Morris look somewhat athletic when he throws a ball. I saw him at the celebrity softball game and it wasn't pretty. Maybe Kelly Kapowski would help.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 09-27-2016, 10:57 AM
PeterB

I'm curious to know who Tom C played against in the Big East that is now in the Hall of Fame. My guess is that it's Biggio but he played at the end of the 80's.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:09 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterb69 View Post
I'm curious to know who Tom C played against in the Big East that is now in the Hall of Fame. My guess is that it's Biggio but he played at the end of the 80's.
Correct. Both he and Mo Vaughan and John Valentin. Actually the best hitter on the team was Martese Robinson. I actually played them when I was 16. Their field at Seton Hall back then was horrible and flooded easily. That day my American Legion team was practicing on our field in South Orange when this bus pulled up and about 12 members of the Seton Hall team got out. They ended up scrimmaging us. Robinson and Valentin were not there but Biggio and Vaughan were. I struck out Biggio but Vaughan hit a ball so hard off me that I ducked (cowered more like)...didn't get up until it sailed over the center field fence some 400 feet away. Lucky I didn't soil myself.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 09-27-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:12 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

By the way...the same field I played and practiced on in South Orange...the one I scrimmaged the Seton Hall team on...had played host some 58 years earlier to Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, as shown on this signed ball.

Pretty neat.

Tom C