NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2017, 10:37 PM
David Kathman

Default Hobby history: The 1946 American Card Catalog

As a followup to my recent post on Jefferson Burdick's 1939 United States Card Collectors Catalog (here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241036), I thought I would do one on the next edition, the 1946 American Card Catalog, which introduced the numbering system we're all familiar with (T206, T205, etc.). Unfortunately, I don't own a copy of the 1946 ACC -- it's the only edition I don't have -- but I do have some of Burdick's articles in Card Collector's Bulletin from around the time he published it, and I also have scans of hobby pioneer Walter Corson's annotated copy of the 1946 ACC, which is now owned by a member of this board.

The first scan below is Burdick's lead article in the February 1, 1946 CCB (#40), announcing the upcoming publication of the new catalog. I previously posted this article last September when I posted the entire issue (here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=228257), but I'm reposting it here for convenience. Unfortunately, I don't have the next issue of CCB (#41), which presumably contained the followup article promised by Burdick, but I do have the rest of the issues from 1946, each of which has something about the catalog. I've posted each of these articles preceded by the date of the issue; they cover the publication of the 1946 catalog and the feedback Burdick got on it. Yes, collectors were just as opinionated 70 years ago as they are now.

Following that is the title page and several pages from the catalog itself. These are from a copy in which someone, presumably the original owner, has made many annotations in ink (and some in pencil). These include additions of new sets, updated prices, notations of where Burdick had printed checklists of certain sets in Card Collectors Bulletin from 1939 to 1944 (Burdick numbered all those checklists sequentially), and much more. There are also additional sheets tipped in for more notes, one of which I've added after the page of 1930s baseball sets.

The previous owner of this copy, "Jeff", posted scans from it on the non-sport Network54 board on February 18, 2015 (that thread is here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/52660...llectors+Guide), but nobody over there knew who the author of the annotations was. Jeff subsequently sold the volume to a member of this board, Jason19th, who posted about it here on May 27, 2015, asking if anybody knew who the original owner might have been. (See here: http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=206522.) I was the only one who replied, and I didn't know, but I remarked on how cool the volume was.

More recently, I was looking at those scans again, and I thought the handwriting looked familiar. I finally realized that it's the handwriting of Walter Corson, who I wrote a long post about last December (here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=232220). In the replies to that post, Leon posted a want list that Corson had made on an index card, and was among a bunch of Corson's hobby stuff that Leon bought. I've included that card at the end of this post, so you can compare it to the annotations and extra notes from that 1946 ACC. It's obviously the same handwriting, with numerous distinctive features; for example, check out Corson's capital "G" in T205 BB Gold Border, and compare it to the capital G's in the page of notes just above it, in "Game birds" or "Geo. Washington". I feel confident in saying that Jason19th's copy of the 1946 American Card Catalog originally belonged to Walter Corson.

June 1, 1946

August 1, 1946

October 1, 1946

December 1, 1946

Old 06-17-2017, 05:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Those are great David. I think there was some good info in the ACC updates between 1940 and 1945. Those would be cool to see too if you have some.....
Old 06-17-2017, 09:34 AM

Default Thanks David ggg

I wanted to applaud David for his research and his very classy move of asking me for permission to use the images. Per his request I have scanned in the pages with the t sports cards. I have also included a scan of the backs of the tipped in pages which are salesman order forms from a penn store- this may help to confirm the Corson id
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2432.jpg (77.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2433.jpg (80.2 KB, 584 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2434.jpg (72.3 KB, 118 views)
Old 06-17-2017, 10:07 AM
David Kathman

Thanks, Jason! The address on that order form, 7th and Chestnut Streets in Philadelphia, is right next door to the second location of Corson's store, Collector's Haven, as given in his ad in the August 1, 1948 Card Collector's Bulletin. Actually, since it was a basement store, it might have even been in the basement of the same building. I showed this image in my long post on Corson, linked above.

That's further good evidence, if any was needed, that this ACC originally belonged to Corson. I love historical detective work like this!
Old 06-17-2017, 10:10 AM
David Kathman

And Leon -- my copy of the 1939 U.S. Card Collectors Catalog (John D. Wagner's) has the 1940, 1941, and 1942 supplements. I'll try to post some of the material from them, but not this weekend. I think somebody once posted the 1943 supplement, which was a single typewritten page, back and front. Was that you?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
And Leon -- my copy of the 1939 U.S. Card Collectors Catalog (John D. Wagner's) has the 1940, 1941, and 1942 supplements. I'll try to post some of the material from them, but not this weekend. I think somebody once posted the 1943 supplement, which was a single typewritten page, back and front. Was that you?
Yes, that was probably mine. My '39 ACC copy has them, including '43, in it and addresses the issue of anymore of the supplements not being needed, so I presume there was no '44 or '45.