NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-06-2020, 03:37 PM
Cory

Default Greg Morris cards

I’m considering consigning with Greg Morris. I sent an email that didn’t receive a reply. I tried reaching for the last week and the number was not working. For days it just goes to voicemail. And I tried completing thier online query request On thier website, and that is not working properly.

Does anyone know if they are they still accepting consignments? Are these combined issues a bad omen? Any suggestions for others that take consignments for nice raw cards?

Cory Weiser
Old 06-06-2020, 03:49 PM

Cory, I have never bought, sold or had any interaction whatsoever with Greg Morris Cards. However, I, personally, would not consign valuable cards to any outfit that does not answer phone calls or emails or return messages, etc. Not to mention, the mojo seems bad from the start. My two cents (probably not worth one cent).
Old 06-06-2020, 04:42 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Try contacting him here. Looks like he was on a couple days ago. Gregmorris818

I’m pretty sure he is running a Skeleton crew right now due to California Laws around COVID. I don’t follow state to state so not sure if that changed. Anyways I know he had family helping with the operation etc.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:06 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I have only the highest praise for Greg Morris...I do think our current situation is the reason for your inability to contact him so far.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-06-2020, 05:12 PM

The best way to reach us is at consignments@gregmorriscards.com

Greg
Old 06-06-2020, 06:20 PM

Default Greg Morris

I have had nothing but great results with Greg Morris. Crazy times is no doubt the reason for delay in response. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2020, 06:24 PM
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmorris818 View Post
The best way to reach us is at consignments@gregmorriscards.com

Greg
I emailed info@gregmorriscards.com this past Tuesday. That email Address doesn’t work? I believe that was online as the email address to use. That was in addition to the phone, and your own website that do not work. I’ll try that other email to see if that yields a reply.
Thx,
Cory Weiser
Old 06-07-2020, 06:53 PM
Scott Levy

My personal experience was they were sort of hard to get a response from. However, that being said, I trusted their reputation and they did not disappoint. GM did a very nice job with the thousands of 50s, 60s and early 70s commons that my dad and I consigned to them. Over 90% of the cards sold and I would have lost my mind trying to list, sell and ship them one by one. Overall, a positive experience.

Last edited by scottglevy; 06-07-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:14 AM

Greg's cards get premium over most raw cards on ebay, but what I do not like about his service is they are very picky on consignments.

I had contacted them before to consign thousands of cards all in gradeable shape ranging from $1.00 to $1,000+ and they told me they cannot accept 90% of my set break cards because they only want to sell the hall of famers or the vintage that is over a certain average price/grade. They had no interest in the set breaks that would be close to the opening bid for common cards and they basically told me to send in the cream of the crop only. I did not understand why they ask for set breaks, but then were only interested in key hall of famer cards and not the commons from the entire set. I would have felt differently if they had never sold these $1.00 cards before, but I've looked up many of the ones they signaled that they cannot sell and they have sold them before for other consignors so I am passing altogether.

I would have sent him quite a lot so I was disappointed in the questionable sales response...

Last edited by murphy8276; 06-08-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:10 AM
Robert Williams

That is odd. I am not interested in sending only cream of the crop. ALL sellers will take cream of the crop!! Shoot, you can sell cream of the crop yourself and do rather well. I too, am baffled by your experience, as I was under the impression set breaks was what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy8276 View Post
Greg's cards get premium over most raw cards on ebay, but what I do not like about his service is they are very picky on consignments.

I had contacted them before to consign thousands of cards all in gradeable shape ranging from $1.00 to $1,000+ and they told me they cannot accept 90% of my set break cards because they only want to sell the hall of famers or the vintage that is over a certain average price/grade. They had no interest in the set breaks that would be close to the opening bid for common cards and they basically told me to send in the cream of the crop only. I did not understand why they ask for set breaks, but then were only interested in key hall of famer cards and not the commons from the entire set. I would have felt differently if they had never sold these $1.00 cards before, but I've looked up many of the ones they signaled that they cannot sell and they have sold them before for other consignors so I am passing altogether.

I would have sent him quite a lot so I was disappointed in the questionable sales response...
Old 06-08-2020, 04:32 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

You shouldn't be baffled. They have manpower costs to worry about; people don't work for free. Barely break even on $1 commons, so why do it?

If you really want to sell those one-by-one, mail them to COMC and pay 50 cents each (new charge for listing pre-1980 and oddball cards) for them to scan them in. Then you can price them whatever you like and wait years for them to sell. But at least they're out of your house, with a chance to make you a profit down the line.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:17 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Seems like they might have done you a favor.

I believe some consignors charge $2.50 flat fee for any card that sells under $10. So you'd literally be writing them check to sell them.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-08-2020, 09:56 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:

It's likely dictated by their work load. If they are swamped right now it would be bad business to take on low paying items which might keep them from listing high-end items, so they simply don't accept the low end stuff for now.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-08-2020, 10:35 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
It's likely dictated by their work load. If they are swamped right now it would be bad business to take on low paying items which might keep them from listing high-end items, so they simply don't accept the low end stuff for now.
I am pretty sure that is it....I don't think people realize how much work it is to break up a 700 card set...one by one.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:46 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:

I'm getting push back right now about consigning a complete 53 Topps set. Consistent VG-VG/EX condition.
They want to sell it lots, but of course they have no lots currently listed and some cards labeled as LOW GRADE crease.

If anyone knows of another consignor that does set breaks, let me know.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:03 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
I'm getting push back right now about consigning a complete 53 Topps set. Consistent VG-VG/EX condition.
They want to sell it lots, but of course they have no lots currently listed and some cards labeled as LOW GRADE crease.

Brent, I tried sending you a PM but not sure if it made it or not? My laptop died as I clicked "send."
Old 06-09-2020, 01:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post

Maybe they are low grade with a crease?
Old 06-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:

I had a great experience with GM Cards about a year ago, by netting over 2K from a decent batch of '50s and '60s Topps & Bowman Hofer cards. But right now it's a different story. I got the go-ahead to send in a lot of well over 300 cards - what I think amounts to well over $3,000 in gross sales on eBay. Then I got a reply that the whole thing is being returned because some of the (28) Goudey cards are off-grade. They are not high-grade, but they're actually pretty nice in my opinion, including six HoFers such as Dean, Paul Waner, Frisch, and Bill Terry.

I too have to chalk the whole thing up to them being swamped and severely understaffed, but being turned down like that after being approved was unbelievable.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:07 PM
Br1an N0Iff

What are his consignment rates now? I know it’s a sliding scale but if I remember right it was averaging north of 30%.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:41 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
What are his consignment rates now? I know it’s a sliding scale but if I remember right it was averaging north of 30%.
30%??? Holy guacamole!!! I think I would keep the set together and pay 10% or so.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:25 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
I was quoted 25% plus 50 cents on every card that sells under $10.
Pricey, but I don't know another seller that consistently gets the prices on singles that he does. Plus it is labor intensive to do small listings.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
I had a great experience with GM Cards about a year ago, by netting over 2K from a decent batch of '50s and '60s Topps & Bowman Hofer cards. But right now it's a different story. I got the go-ahead to send in a lot of well over 300 cards - what I think amounts to well over $3,000 in gross sales on eBay. Then I got a reply that the whole thing is being returned because some of the (28) Goudey cards are off-grade. They are not high-grade, but they're actually pretty nice in my opinion, including six HoFers such as Dean, Paul Waner, Frisch, and Bill Terry.

I too have to chalk the whole thing up to them being swamped and severely understaffed, but being turned down like that after being approved was unbelievable.

Wow, this is ridiculous. I am glad they told me to not send beforehand...

Last edited by murphy8276; 06-11-2020 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:15 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

So much work to sell individual raw cards, scanning, listing, shipping. If you have the tine, try it yourself, some dont have that luxury, remember I think ebay/payal fees.end up being about 12% anyhow.
They do seem to have a following for high grade raw cards. I recently sent them a psa 8 oc card, which they grade as ex to ex-mt, they are clearly conservative in their grading. I will report back to this thread if any cards receive the outlandish bids I'm hoping for.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-11-2020, 07:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

I checked out GM's listings last night, which, for me, was the first time in a long time. I made to around 150 pgs of cards before my eyes couldn't take anymore.

With the current Covid rules/isolation/social distancing, etc, I was quite surprised to see so many pgs of cards listed. As far as I know, some are still working from home and they currently have a skeleton crew because of covid.

I personally like GM cards and although I have never consigned anything to them, I wouldn't hesitate if the time ever comes.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Luke G.

While this was almost a year ago, I was told by a person at GM that only 25% of their listed cards are from consignments. Additionally, some of my friend's Ebay auctions were purchased directly by GM buyers (I believe). So it seems it may be easier for GM to purchase cards and be selective, vs. accepting consignments.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's funny, while visiting tables at a show out here a year or two ago, a guy from GM cards was present and pretty aggressively looking to buy stuff. Chatting away, repeatedly mentioning Greg Morris cards, stating "ungraded cards only," showing binders of stuff he picked up that day, etc. It was like sitting back and watching a used-car salesman employ silly 'Salesmanship 101' techniques. Some sellers were obviously thinking, "Is this guy serious???" He is/was undoubtedly one of the GM buyers mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:49 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Consigment

This is from their consignment page on their website.

We also accept cards on consignment. All consigned cards are sold in eBay auctions. Because we have tens of thousands of customers and list 15,000+ cards per day, we can guarantee consignors a wide audience for their cards. Our standard rate is 25 percent of final auction values, plus a 50 cent surcharge on all cards that sell for $10 or less.

They have 22,000 auctions running at the moment. 270,000 positive feed backs in the past year. It is amazing that they can keep generating numbers like these.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:21 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
This is from their consignment page on their website.

We also accept cards on consignment. All consigned cards are sold in eBay auctions. Because we have tens of thousands of customers and list 15,000+ cards per day, we can guarantee consignors a wide audience for their cards. Our standard rate is 25 percent of final auction values, plus a 50 cent surcharge on all cards that sell for $10 or less.

They have 22,000 auctions running at the moment. 270,000 positive feed backs in the past year. It is amazing that they can keep generating numbers like these.
Agreed...it has to be a team. I get so intrigued with doing a set break. I want to do one. But then I run out of breath just scanning front and backs of 2 sheets of cards for the auctions here. So set breaking is not for me.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:31 PM

Let's put ourselves in Greg's shoes...

He is in a state with very strict restrictions due to Covid where fines are in the thousands of dollars (and actually being issued/upheld).

He is working with a skeleton crew at best and his family and kids are even helping out.

Somehow he is still maintaining listing and shipping 50,000 cards a month through all of this.

The amount of work this requires is mind-boggling. I can't even fathom how many hours a week he is putting in, does he even have a waking moment to eat or sleep?

Take a moment and think how long it takes you to grade, list and ship one card. Now multiple that by 40,000-50,000.

Imagine grading cards (Greg is going through and grading 200,000+ cards to actually get the quantity of listings they do) continuing buying inventory (and the time to look for it), managing consignors, managing eBay customers questions and shipping issues, maintaining that quantity of listings, and shipping out 50,000+ cards... Every... single... month...

I think it is completely acceptable that, at the moment, he does not have time to answer the phones or e-mails and is focusing on continuing the operation as best he can.

What Greg is accomplishing is inconceivably difficult. Even when Invest In Baseball was active and we had 11 staff members including myself and a full time grader we were only able to hit half of that capacity. Truly insane.

I know how much work it takes to list a single card (and 10,000 cards) and charging 25% probably isn't enough for the value added and time it takes. He also loses money on shipping because he combines orders into one. I will happily pay that rate any day.

I think anger and frustration is being misplaced for empathy and understanding for an insurmountable task for even a full staff to take on, let alone one man and his family.

Edit:

I forgot to add he even has an extra account running a store and 1,000+ graded auctions a week.

You go Greg!

Last edited by Sean1125; 06-12-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Let's put ourselves in Greg's shoes...

He is in a state with very strict restrictions due to Covid where fines are in the thousands of dollars (and actually being issued/upheld).

He is working with a skeleton crew at best and his family and kids are even helping out.

Somehow he is still maintaining listing and shipping 50,000 cards a month through all of this.

The amount of work this requires is mind-boggling. I can't even fathom how many hours a week he is putting in, does he even have a waking moment to eat or sleep?

Take a moment and think how long it takes you to grade, list and ship one card. Now multiple that by 40,000-50,000.

Imagine grading cards (Greg is going through and grading 200,000+ cards to actually get the quantity of listings they do) continuing buying inventory (and the time to look for it), managing consignors, managing eBay customers questions and shipping issues, maintaining that quantity of listings, and shipping out 50,000+ cards... Every... single... month...

I think it is completely acceptable that, at the moment, he does not have time to answer the phones or e-mails and is focusing on continuing the operation as best he can.

What Greg is accomplishing is inconceivably difficult. Even when Invest In Baseball was active and we had 11 staff members including myself and a full time grader we were only able to hit half of that capacity. Truly insane.

I know how much work it takes to list a single card (and 10,000 cards) and charging 25% probably isn't enough for the value added and time it takes. He also loses money on shipping because he combines orders into one. I will happily pay that rate any day.

I think anger and frustration is being misplaced for empathy and understanding for an insurmountable task for even a full staff to take on, let alone one man and his family.
Well said. I guess people should walk a mile in a man's shoes before they bash him.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:39 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
does he even have a waking moment to sleep?
I hate when that happens
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-12-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I hate when that happens
I just realized what I did there LOL
Old 06-14-2020, 06:55 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Does anyone know the EBay buying ID for them?
Old 06-14-2020, 07:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Does anyone know the EBay buying ID for them?
They are a sponsor/paid advertiser on here so there is usually a banner at the top part of the page. https://www.gregmorriscards.com/