NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-07-2021, 11:18 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post
Outstanding. I knew I couldn’t be the only one!

Couple questions:

1. How far along did you get?
2. How did the Bowman/Fleer years factor in if no dupes?
3. What do you mean by “2 HOFers from each year” Both pitchers, or a mix with hitters?

Otherwise, that is a great list. Mine is quite a bit different, but am also focusing on relevant teams/years during their career when possible, plus aesthetics (colors, pose, etc…).

Will post my list shortly (wasn’t going to, but it’s. ore fun).
The list I just posted was compiled yesterday for fun. I used the two cards you already have, although I remember I preferred the 1970 Jenkins and a different Palmer (I had Brooks Robinson and Sparky Anderson for '71).

I will try and dig up my old list. As I think about it, I may have gone back to 1948 so as to cover all major post-war sets. I had a graded minimum requirement of 7 for cards from the 50s, 8 from the 60s and 9 from the 70's (except 1971). I would probably relax that if I tried again, or at least adjust my picks. I remember a '62 Frank Robby was on my list and that card is very hard to find in nm-mt without spending a ton. I think I ended up swapping that for 1967 and putting Marichal there.

I had all HOFers, not just pitchers. I tried to get one from each league for each set, although not always ('53 offered the only "inexpensive" Paige and I really wanted Newhouser on the Tigers). Each set was represented even if from the same year-- in fact, I remember I listed (but never got) the '53 Bowman B&W Casey Stengel. Musial was the '53 Bowman color, as I consider that the most beautiful post-war card ever produced.

I did not get that far, as again, I went pretty much all in to pre-war. I was taking two steps forward and one step back, selling some to buy the old stuff, and when I sold my Musial and '55 Jackie, well, that kind of made me bitter toward the whole project. I jettisoned almost all of it. I regret it very much. My only solace is that I believe all of the cards are readily available if you find the $$$, so I may start over. Heck, you might have inspired a 2022 challenge for me--thanks!
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

So if Tiant is inducted, what effect does that have. I guess just one more year, because you could substitute him for someone still active in 82?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-07-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So if Tiant is inducted, what effect does that have. I guess just one more year, because you could substitute him for someone still active in 82?
82 would be the easiest fit if/when Tiant and or John make it…but that’s years away at a minimum. Can barely look ahead to this weekend, it seems! Inevitably, I’d have to relax my “rules”. Would much rather have a mid-70s Tiant/John, so would probably double up on a year.

Anyway, thanks for the interest. Probably a couple weeks out from my next addition.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:44 PM
Todd Schultz

I found an old version of m list--can't recall if it was the last. I added a few players today--last name only. Also see my memory is not that good on the one from each league thing, and I did add a rookie (Maz). This would need to be tweaked if I start again--maybe move Brett into the 80's since Yount will be added anyway, and move Palmer to 1976 to free up a spot. It is tough to get pics of cards you like--no capless, few if any head shots, etc.
  • 1948 BOWMAN SCHOENDIENST, RED
    1949 BOWMAN MIZE, JOHNNY KELL, GEORGE
    1949 LEAF RIZZUTO, PHIL KINER, RALPH
    1950 BOWMAN CAMPANELLA, ROY BOUDREAU, LOU
    1951 TOPPS WYNN, EARLY (RED) DOERR, BOBBY (BLUE)
    1951 BOWMAN ROBERTS, ROBIN IRVIN, MONTE
    1952 TOPPS LEMON, BOB SLAUGHTER, ENOS
    1952 BOWMAN MINOSO DOBY, LARRY
    1953 TOPPS PAIGE, SATCHELL NEWHOUSER, HAL
    1953 BOWMAN STENGEL, CASEY (B&W) MUSIAL, STAN (COLOR)
    1954 TOPPS WILHELM, HOYT SNIDER, DUKE
    1954 BOWMAN FORD, WHITEY REESE, PEE WEE
    1955 TOPPS SPAHN, WARREN ROBINSON, JACKIE
    1955 BOWMAN BARLICK, AL CONLAN, JOCKO
    1956 TOPPS FELLER, BOB WILLIAMS, TED
    1957 TOPPS ASHBURN, RICHIE MAZEROSKI, BILL
    1958 TOPPS FOX, NELLIE MANTLE, MICKEY
    1959 TOPPS DRYSDALE, DON BANKS, ERNIE
    1960 TOPPS LOPEZ, AL AARON, HANK
    1960 LEAF BUNNING, JIM APARICIO, LUIS
    1961 TOPPS CEPEDA, ORLANDO BERRA, YOGI
    1962 TOPPS MATHEWS, EDDIE ROBINSON, FRANK
    1963 TOPPS MARICHAL, JUAN ALSTON, WALTER
    1963 FLEER KOUFAX, SANDY CLEMENTE, ROBERTO
    1964 TOPPS SANTO KILLEBREW, HARMON
    1965 TOPPS GIBSON, BOB MAYS, WILLIE
    1966 TOPPS MCCOVEY, WILLIE KALINE, AL
    1967 TOPPS PALMER, JIM YASTRZEMSKI, CARL
    1968 TOPPS WILLIAMS, BILLY CAREW, ROD
    1969 TOPPS SUTTON, DON BROCK, LOU
    1970 TOPPS WEAVER, EARL JENKINS, FERGIE
    1971 TOPPS ANDERSON, SPARKY ROBINSON, BROOKS
    1972 TOPPS BLYLEVEN BENCH, JOHNNY
    1973 TOPPS SEAVER, TOM MORGAN, JOE
    1974 TOPPS NIEKRO, PHIL PEREZ, TONY
    1975 TOPPS HUNTER, JIM FISK, CARLTON
    1976 TOPPS BRETT, GEORGE WINFIELD, DAVE
    1977 TOPPS RYAN, NOLAN SCHMIDT, MIKE
    1978 TOPPS FINGERS, ROLLIE JACKSON, REGGIE
    1979 TOPPS CARLTON, STEVE STARGELL, WILLIE
    1980 TOPPS PERRY, GAYLORD CARTER, GARY
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:15 PM

Well, it has been over a month since my last update, but am glad to add these two to the project today!

A running group photo is in the OP.

I’ve also cut out the fluff narrative and just focused on the key points.

The next one en route is a heavy hitter (player stature, not grade… although I think you’ll appreciate the centering as much as I do).

Thanks for stopping by!

Card 3 of 30

1977 Dennis Eckersley #525
PSA 9
Pop. 257
Eckersley’s’ 2nd of 23 base Topps cards

Runner-up choice for 1977: Nolan Ryan
Runner-up choice for Eckersley: 1980

Card 4 of 30

1979 Jack Morris #251
PSA 9
Pop. 64
Morris’ 2nd of 17 base Topps cards

Runner-up choice for 1979: Rich Gossage
Runner-up choice for Morris: 1981

Last edited by cjedmonton; 01-05-2022 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:44 PM

One of the bigger pickups to this project! More than happy with the “collector” grade. The centering just makes me smile.

Card 5 of 30

1963 Sandy Koufax #210
PSA 5
His 9th of 12 base Topps cards

Runner-up choice for 1963: Don Drysdale
Runner-up choice for Koufax: 1965
Why his ‘63? This is the year he became Koufax. First Cy Young, NL MVP, World Series MVP, Triple Crown, 1st No-hitter, Peak Single Season WAR, etc…

Last edited by cjedmonton; 01-13-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:11 PM

Awesome Koufax, one of my favorites, this set is coming together and really am enjoying the progress. Love your thinking outside the box and this is what it’s all about!!

Well done
Old 12-07-2021, 12:11 PM

Very cool, and you’re right that all Topps-era HOFers are readily available. Just depends how much you want to spend. Couldn’t imagine incorporating hitters too. Would just be too overwhelming for me, as amazing as it would be when complete. A 30 player checklist is perfectly manageable with a little patience (40+ if I break down and expand to the modern guys).

My min. grades are way less stringent then yours, but other than the Paige, I have a rough min grade equalling the decade (5 for 1950s, 6 for ’60s, 7 for ‘70s, etc…). Will allow up to two grades higher because again the focus is on the player and year. Can’t justify a PSA 10 for any 70s card, and would much rather have 2 or even 3 other cards toward completion for the same cost.

Agreed on the Paige/Newhouser limitation (Paige being exclusive to 53T eliminates Hal’s only Topps card as a Tiger, as you know). Other than that, there are a lot of options.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 12-17-2021 at 07:22 AM.