NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-23-2022, 12:09 PM
Chris Counts

Default Seeking help identifying players in 1950s snapshot

Hi, I just picked up this snapshot because i recognized Mickey Cochrane and Lefty Grove in it. It appears to have been taken in Connie Mack Stadium sometime in the 1950s. I suspect some of the guys are old A's. The guy at the left looks a bit like Jimmy Dykes, but his nose is wrong. The guy to the left of him is left-handed and looks a bit like Tris Speaker. His glove is an outfielder's. If I had to guess the three guys on the left, I'd say Bing Miller or Rogers Hornsby, George Earnshaw or Lefty Gomez, and Mule Haas, but I could be way off. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phillies plus.jpg (104.1 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by Chris Counts; 04-23-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:00 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Hi, I just picked up this snapshot because i recognized Mickey Cochrane and Lefty Grove in it. It appears to have been taken in Connie Mack Stadium sometime in the 1950s. I suspect some of the guys are old A's. The guy at the left looks a bit like Jimmy Dykes, but his nose is wrong. The guy to the left of him is left-handed and looks a bit like Tris Speaker. His glove is an outfielder's. If I had to guess the three guys on the left, I'd say Bing Miller or Rogers Hornsby, George Earnshaw or Lefty Gomez, and Mule Haas, but I could be way off. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris
Hi Chris:

The only one I can POSITIVELY identify beside Cochrane and Grove you mentioned is Cy Perkins Phillies coach second from the left.

None are Dykes, Hornsby or Speaker to my eyes. The guy on the right may be one of the Waner brothers, though I am not positive.

Guessing they are all old Philadelphia A's players. Perhaps the Phillies were honoring them one night which is why they are in Phillies uniforms.

Last edited by whiteymet; 04-23-2022 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:50 AM
Chris Counts

Thanks for your reply Fred. After looking at photos of Cy Perkins, I agree he's in the photo. After doing some more research, I suspect the guy on the right is Max Bishop. The other players are a real puzzle. Two of them are lefties, but they don't resemble any of the few lefties who played for the A's in the late 20s or early 30s.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:33 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Chris:

I ran across this photo in an old Phillies scrapbook I had not look at in years. The below photo was taken at a Phillies Oldtimers game in 1951.

While it appears to me it is not from the same year as your photo, looking at the players ID'ed in it I would venture to guess the player to the left in your photo is the same as the one to left in my photo Rube Walberg.

The gray haired player in the A's uniform in the center is Howard Ehmke, I thought he could the player third from the left in your photo. However Ehmke was a right hander and the guy in your photos appears to be a lefty, unless he just picked up a glove.

What do you think? Is the guy on the left Walberg and is Ehmke in your photo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2296.jpg (196.6 KB, 120 views)
Old 06-24-2022, 10:47 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Here is a new listing on ebay of other photos that appear to be from the same old timers game

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29505849572...&segname=11021

Assuming all these photos are from the same day, the first one shows Phillies Manager Steve O'Neill sitting in the dugout. Steve was the Phillies Manager for the last 91 games of the 1952 season through the first 77 games of the 1954 season.

So the photo the OP showed above has to be from that time frame.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:00 AM
Chris Counts

Thanks for the heads up. My snapshot has a similar tape stain, so it must of come from the same batch. I might need to find a scorecard or newspaper article to help identify the rest of the guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Here is a new listing on ebay of other photos that appear to be from the same old timers game

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29505849572...&segname=11021

Assuming all these photos are from the same day, the first one shows Phillies Manager Steve O'Neill sitting in the dugout. Steve was the Phillies Manager for the last 91 games of the 1952 season through the first 77 games of the 1954 season.

So the photo the OP showed above has to be from that time frame.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:06 AM
Chris Counts

Fred,

I somehow missed your earlier post with the newspaper clipping until now. Yes, those players do look like Howard Ehmke and Rube Walberg. That's a big help ...

Thanks!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Chris:

I ran across this photo in an old Phillies scrapbook I had not look at in years. The below photo was taken at a Phillies Oldtimers game in 1951.

While it appears to me it is not from the same year as your photo, looking at the players ID'ed in it I would venture to guess the player to the left in your photo is the same as the one to left in my photo Rube Walberg.

The gray haired player in the A's uniform in the center is Howard Ehmke, I thought he could the player third from the left in your photo. However Ehmke was a right hander and the guy in your photos appears to be a lefty, unless he just picked up a glove.

What do you think? Is the guy on the left Walberg and is Ehmke in your photo?