NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-18-2022, 02:37 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
During the midst of the pandemic, those without a vaccine were being selfish and taking up valuable hospital space. Those without a mask were spreading germs.
People had a choice to stay home and not be subject to maskless people no?

The flu right now kills more people than corona virus, correct me if I am wrong, why arent people wearing masks to avoid those deaths.

There is always an acceptable level of death in most things in life. People die when building tall buildings, people die of malaria well building canals in panama etc.

I think what many people are saying is there was an acceptable level of death for healthy people as it was very very low. What if covid was 1/10th as bad as it turned out to be. Same mask/vaccine? what about 1/5th? 1/2?

You can see its arguable to what the the right amount of risk is. However, when not allow people to sue if they get a forced vaccine to keep their job or status in society to many would break that tie...
Old 08-18-2022, 02:38 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
That's what I thought. You can't answer to the contradictions, and you don't even know why you brought race into this to when knocking the people who don't believe the contradictory narrative. 270.
You managed to get yourself into a fight on an mvp thread. Breathe.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Did you read my post with the number of COVID deaths each year?
As the deaths remain similar on the macro level pre and post vaccine, none of them will actually answer to that. Racism and conspiracy theories, and advocating for the supremacy of the corporation over the most intimate and personal matters in your life will take its place.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:40 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Mhm. That's what I thought. Like always, you can't even defend any of your claims.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:41 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
People had a choice to stay home and not be subject to maskless people no?

The flu right now kills more people than corona virus, correct me if I am wrong, why arent people wearing masks to avoid those deaths.

There is always an acceptable level of death in most things in life. People die when building tall buildings, people die of malaria well building canals in panama etc.

I think what many people are saying is there was an acceptable level of death for healthy people as it was very very low. What if covid was 1/10th as bad as it turned out to be. Same mask/vaccine? what about 1/5th? 1/2?

You can see its arguable to what the the right amount of risk is. However, when not allow people to sue if they get a forced vaccine to keep their job or status in society to many would break that tie...
Do you not remember that in New York there were no hospital beds and they had to bring in semi trucks to deal with the dead bodies. That happened. Things were bad. Mask now are a personal choice. Back then they were not.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:41 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Mhm. That's what I thought. Like always, you can't even defend any of your claims.
You got me. You are correct about the mvp too. And everything else.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:43 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
He provided you with the "subtle racism" post. Please provide an explanation for accusing me of being a racist.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 08-18-2022, 02:46 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Do you not remember that in New York there were no hospital beds and they had to bring in semi trucks to deal with the dead bodies. That happened. Things were bad. Mask now are a personal choice. Back then they were not.
right there was also the time where there was an empty ship with beds in new york with nobody which diverted those resources away for others. schools wrongfully closed and suicides occurred as well of very otherwise healthy people. There was an issue of how many 'covid' deaths were really from covid as well.

Things were bad I agree and that was the favored easy position. there is still terrible consequences the other way as well when that position was wrong. Again easy to take the favored positon where you dont get fired or get real blame if wrong.

People were fast to blame on that and it seemed political because the blame only went one way even when both sides had problems. If challenge the CDC you get attacked for not following the science and if you are right no benefit, if you are wrong you are the worst person in the world. People who blindly followed the CDC if wrong, no big deal. If you are taking the favored position you need to be super right and cover the spread because no reprocussions if wrong, if you are on the underdog side, you will get plenty of reprocussion if wrong.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-18-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:48 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
I remember when Cuomo subjected nursing homes to a horrific number of deaths, then lied about the numbers by ~50%.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 08-18-2022, 02:55 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
I remember when Cuomo subjected nursing homes to a horrific number of deaths, then lied about the numbers by ~50%.
He was a POS, no doubt. Heading to that post now…
Old 08-18-2022, 02:57 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
You got me. You are correct about the mvp too. And everything else.
I know you have an obsession with me, but at least I defend what I say and what I say is consistent. I make no claim to being likable. You flip flop like a flag flowing in the breeze.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:01 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
He provided you with the "subtle racism" post. Please provide an explanation for accusing me of being a racist.
Reading comprehension difficulties on our good friend’s part. In response to someone summarizing the right wing conspiracy nature of the vaccine post I wrote: “I think it would be difficult to summarize it better. Add in some election fraud and subtle racism maybe.” There were no election fraud conspiracy or even subtly racists things in what you posted, so you missed out on a right wing trifecta. Was not calling you an election fraud conspirator or subtle racist and apologies if that’s what it sounded like.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:01 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
I know you have an obsession with me, but at least I defend what I say and what I say is consistent. I make no claim to being likable. You flip flop like a flag flowing in the breeze.
You defend what you say in your own mind my man.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:06 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
You defend what you say in your own mind my man.
Where have I flip flopped? Where have I not defended what I have said, changed around, or contradicted? You just make shit up, then decline to defend it every time.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

One must always be careful what conclusions to draw from hindsight. Even where decisions, choices etc. turn out to be wrong based on later information, it does not necessarily follow they were wrong AT THE TIME, based on what was then known and reasonably foreseeable. That might be the right conclusion to draw, but it might not be, it depends. Ex ante, the decision in question well might have been the right one, or the best one. This is true in many aspects of life, not just science. Think of how many marriages go bad, but seemed like (and were) a good idea at the time.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-18-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:15 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One must always be careful what conclusions to draw from hindsight. Even where decisions, choices etc. turn out to be wrong based on later information, it does not necessarily follow they were wrong AT THE TIME, based on what was then known and reasonably foreseeable. That might be the right conclusion to draw, but it might not be, it depends. Ex ante, the decision in question well might have been the right one, or the best one. This is true in many aspects of life, not just science. Think of how many marriages go bad, but seemed like (and were) a good idea at the time.
The problem, of course, is that this is in itself a complete 180. I agree, as I said before actual science is usually more of a 'best judgement on a preponderance of the evidence that we have right now' than absolute truth. However, I was a conspiracy theorist for thinking this same thing you just said a year ago, when we were being told to "trust the science" and that narrative of faith in this monolithic institution was paramount, as people were pressured and forced into injections they did not want, largely for reasons which the data has born out.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's an interesting question, the appropriate limits of coercion in a (presumably) democratic society. One is tempted to say coercion is never acceptable, but for example if we faced a large scale war tomorrow I am guessing most people would not object too strenuously to conscription of their fellow citizens if not enough people volunteered for the military.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-18-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
It's an interesting question, the appropriate limits of coercion in a (presumably) democratic society. One is tempted to say coercion is never acceptable, but for example if we faced a large scale war tomorrow I am guessing most people would not object too strenuously to conscription of their fellow citizens if not enough people volunteered for the military.
I personally lean heavily towards individual freedom over the right of the state to subject the people to its will whether or not I agree with that will (which made pretty far left 10 years ago), but the big difference here of course is legitimacy. In this example, if a nation invaded the US it would, presumably, be factually true that this invasions was 1) happening and 2) a huge, immediate threat to all to which their is a real, time tested solution and 3) a long historical tradition of this in the west.

If the CDC had said “hey, this is what we think right now with the evidence we had, we recommend you take the shot” pretty much nobody would object. The problem is they said it was unquestionable, forced people to comply, and turned out to have either 1) not known what the vaccine even actually did or 2) completely lied about what the vaccine actually does. The tiniest details of daily life were taken away from the management of citizens and given to county health departments across blue states to dictate, those who declined to participate in the hysteria (I am not anti vax, I have no problem with people choosing to get it, I simply do not partake in the hysteria), were banned from public, family dinners, events and funerals criminalized, and any questions were, and in many quarters still are, “conspiracy theories” as their current beliefs were held up as fact. It was the complete opposite of actual science. This almost religious belief was upheld again and again regardless of what the data suggested, and how clearly it contradicts other beliefs and values and even last weeks version of the narrative. It should be a lesson in government overreach and the danger of state-fueled hysteria, giving away power from the citizenry to the Government. I was a communist when I was against at the Patriot act, a fascist when I am against this version of the same root thing. Every time a fear is stroked and power ceded to the state for the crisis, the people lose in the long run. I wish my neighbors would cease to be so happy to sell away their liberties for a sense of safety and virtue signaling.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:00 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
right at those marriages sometimes the bride or grooms friends tell them not to get married that it will be terrible instead of just going along with it. If they went along with it thats the favored position, if doesnt work out they still enjoy the wedding and the friendship. The objector, doesnt get invited to the wedding and loses out on the friendship which is the underdog postion.

2 years later , terrible divorce....now the objector still isnt friends and the the divorcee doesnt want to hear 'told you so'.

so was the marriage a good decision at the time when somebody knew it wasnt? Just saying that keep in mind the lengths and risks it takes for people with the underdog position with a lot on the line and no real reward...and realize on the next issue they may need to given more deference or history can repeat itself in a bad way again...
Old 08-18-2022, 04:28 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
right at those marriages sometimes the bride or grooms friends tell them not to get married that it will be terrible instead of just going along with it. If they went along with it thats the favored position, if doesnt work out they still enjoy the wedding and the friendship. The objector, doesnt get invited to the wedding and loses out on the friendship which is the underdog postion.

2 years later , terrible divorce....now the objector still isnt friends and the the divorcee doesnt want to hear 'told you so'.

so was the marriage a good decision at the time when somebody knew it wasnt? Just saying that keep in mind the lengths and risks it takes for people with the underdog position with a lot on the line and no real reward...and realize on the next issue they may need to given more deference or history can repeat itself in a bad way again...
Let’s say a current survey of medical professions would have approx. 90 plus percent of them saying the vaccine is safe and effective at preventing severe illness. Would that cause you to question your faith on this issue? I suspect not.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

I am sure there are numerous marriages where friends or relatives object that work out great in the end. I'd say most objections are pretty meaningless and if the objector turned out to be right it was just random chance.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:41 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Let’s say a current survey of medical professions would have approx. 90 plus percent of them saying the vaccine is safe and effective at preventing severe illness. Would that cause you to question your faith on this issue? I suspect not.

I'd be curious how many prescribed thalidomide as well. Probably.they arent old enough for that little debacle

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-18-2022, 06:52 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
If the CDC had said “hey, this is what we think right now with the evidence we had, we recommend you take the shot” pretty much nobody would object.
This is satire, right?

The anti-vax stuff started immediately as it was just an extension of the anti-maskers. Vaccination rates were lagging throughout 2021, the period where the CDC (and pretty much everyone else) was saying exactly what you suggested. The mandate for federal employees began 11/5/21, at least 10 months after the vaccine became available.

The fact is, 90% of the US 18+ have had at least one shot. I'm pretty sure that most of those under 25 years old weren't "forced", since we all know that "they don't want to work".

US epidemiologists knew going in that 7-12% WILL NOT get the vaccine regardless of safety, efficacy, or cost. But they also refuse to get the polio, MMR, flu, etc.

Anti-mask, anti-vax, anti-social distancing, anti-limited occupancy. In the not so distant past would be literally defined as anti-social and anti-American.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:31 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
This is satire, right?

US epidemiologists knew going in that 7-12% WILL NOT get the vaccine regardless of safety, efficacy, or cost. But they also refuse to get the polio, MMR, flu, etc.
Safety, efficacy and cost was thrown out the window with the new MRNA vaccine. The others you've listed actually work. The anti-vaxxers arent one in the same. Though they are now politicized as such, among other things.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:33 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
This is satire, right?

The anti-vax stuff started immediately as it was just an extension of the anti-maskers. Vaccination rates were lagging throughout 2021, the period where the CDC (and pretty much everyone else) was saying exactly what you suggested. The mandate for federal employees began 11/5/21, at least 10 months after the vaccine became available.

The fact is, 90% of the US 18+ have had at least one shot. I'm pretty sure that most of those under 25 years old weren't "forced", since we all know that "they don't want to work".

Anti-mask, anti-vax, anti-social distancing, anti-limited occupancy. In the not so distant past would be literally defined as anti-social and anti-American.
So from what you're saying, 90% of adults have had at least one shot, yet the deaths are on pace to meet our exceed each of the past 2 years' totals? And you're still banging the drum that the jab is legitimate?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 08-18-2022, 07:34 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Safety, efficacy and cost was thrown out the window with the new MRNA vaccine. The others you've listed actually work. The anti-vaxxers arent one in the same. Though they are now politicized as such, among other things.
This is progress. They should have never called it a vaccine, I will concede that. But it is safe and effective at avoiding severe illness.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:03 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
This is progress. They should have never called it a vaccine, I will concede that. But it is safe and effective at avoiding severe illness.
So is the latest variant. how.can one tell?

Old 08-18-2022, 08:08 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
So is the latest variant. how.can one tell?
The latest variants appear to have watered themselves down. I question not getting the vaccine but it’s not as insane a decision as that was 1.5 years ago, no doubt there.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:18 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
So from what you're saying, 90% of adults have had at least one shot, yet the deaths are on pace to meet our exceed each of the past 2 years' totals? And you're still banging the drum that the jab is legitimate?
Are you familiar with a 'fire break'? It is when an area around a fire is cleared down to dirt in order to starve the fire of fuel. This gives firefighters an opportunity to limit the damage and control the fire. The smaller the break, the greater the chance of the fire jumping it and continuing on, burning more area. A large break (natural or manmade) enables the prevention of a mass destruction of area.

Considering this analogy, you are claiming that the number of deaths would have remained the same (and, supposedly due to the vaccine "deaths", are actually higher) than if no vaccines were administered? That the firebreak had no effect?

What report are you looking at to substantiate that claim? I provided info and links to studies on excess deaths for the US and they went up significantly in 2020 and have significantly dropped YOY since.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:23 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
The latest variants appear to have watered themselves down. I question not getting the vaccine but it’s not as insane a decision as that was 1.5 years ago, no doubt there.
This is how infectious disease works. The more it replicates, the more mutation. Mutation is always eventually less deadly (or it wouldn't survive), but there is always a chance it can go the other way.

Of course, you'd have to believe in science and the "theory" of evolution to put any credence in that info.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:31 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
right there was also the time where there was an empty ship with beds in new york with nobody which diverted those resources away for others. schools wrongfully closed and suicides occurred as well of very otherwise healthy people. There was an issue of how many 'covid' deaths were really from covid as well.

Things were bad I agree and that was the favored easy position. there is still terrible consequences the other way as well when that position was wrong. Again easy to take the favored positon where you dont get fired or get real blame if wrong.
Yes, it was easy for Cuomo to, day after day, insist he needed 40,000 ventilators, and blaming the federal government (President) for not having them available for his state. As though healthcare equipment was the federal government's responsibility in the first place.

Obviously, nowhere near that many ventilators were needed but it was safe for the governor to say they were. And you're right, there was no backlash for him being ridiculously wrong about that.

Fortunately, there WAS some backlash for his incorrect decision to turn senior assisted living and nursing homes into virtual incubators of Covid virus.
Not saying this to be political, just saying, a lot of our "leaders" said and did things, regarding the Covid virus, that were way, way wrong.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:33 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
This is how infectious disease works. The more it replicates, the more mutation. Mutation is always eventually less deadly (or it wouldn't survive), but there is always a chance it can go the other way.
Is this a Yogi Berra quote???
Old 08-18-2022, 09:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
This is satire, right?

Yes, there was a few months of “get it before we try and force you to get it”.

I have no idea what your “don’t want to work” insult on the young is about or can possibly relate to anything I said.

Not wearing a mask was unamerican in the past? Not social distancing was unamerican in the past? Gathering in large groups was unamerican in the past? When was this? What are you smoking? I don’t recall you people throwing a tantrum and screeching because I associated with other human beings without a mask in 2019, or 2010, or 2000. Nobody was bitching about public gatherings then. And you’re calling what I said satire?
Old 08-18-2022, 09:07 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

If 1) the current variants are less deadly and 2) the vaccine that 90% have had is very effective, then why are the deaths similar in 2020, 2021, 2022? Shouldn't we be seeing significant changes in the data?
Old 08-18-2022, 09:18 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
If 1) the current variants are less deadly and 2) the vaccine that 90% have had is very effective, then why are the deaths similar in 2020, 2021, 2022? Shouldn't we be seeing significant changes in the data?
Masks and social distancing have gone away for the most part and daily covid deaths have declined. Walk through the data you think shows the vaccine wasn’t effective.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Masks and social distancing have gone away for the most part and daily covid deaths have declined. Walk through the data you think shows the vaccine wasn’t effective.
I’m using the figures in 492. It seems pretty close.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:54 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Daily deaths seem to be a bit higher at this point than at the same time last year. Cases are significantly higher now than last year. The winter peak was a bit lower at it's highest point in each year.

I remember when people saying it was going to be seasonal like the flu and this was going to have more impact than anything else was another "conspiracy theory".

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/...19-spread-map/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 20.49.14.jpg (61.2 KB, 82 views)
Old 08-18-2022, 09:55 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Are you familiar with a 'fire break'? It is when an area around a fire is cleared down to dirt in order to starve the fire of fuel. This gives firefighters an opportunity to limit the damage and control the fire. The smaller the break, the greater the chance of the fire jumping it and continuing on, burning more area. A large break (natural or manmade) enables the prevention of a mass destruction of area.

Considering this analogy, you are claiming that the number of deaths would have remained the same (and, supposedly due to the vaccine "deaths", are actually higher) than if no vaccines were administered? That the firebreak had no effect?

What report are you looking at to substantiate that claim? I provided info and links to studies on excess deaths for the US and they went up significantly in 2020 and have significantly dropped YOY since.
See post 492...

Deaths in 2021 topped deaths in 2020 despite over 50% of the US being "vaxxed" by October.

2020 Deaths: 352-385k (depending on source, which not sure how that's possible)
2021 Deaths as of 11/22/2021: 386k
Total Deaths as of 8/18/2022: 1.04M (269k for 2022 so far if my math is correct)

So 2022 has seen 70% of the deaths of that 11/22/2021 numbers, with 3 months left to get even closer to the numbers above, despite nearly 70-80%(?) of society being vaxxed (ranging from 1 jab to fully jabbed)?

Add in your number of 90% of adults have received at least one jab, and I'm not seeing much of an argument to get "jabbed" for the "greater good" as the numbers seem essentially unchanged.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 08-18-2022 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:46 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
so your argument is that if 90 percent say something, you should follow it when comes to preventing severe illness.

How many of them would say being a healthy 35 year old or younger without the vaccine would not have severe illness as well? more than 90 plus percent as well? If so, was that advice followed?

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-19-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:40 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
See post 492...

Deaths in 2021 topped deaths in 2020 despite over 50% of the US being "vaxxed" by October.

2020 Deaths: 352-385k (depending on source, which not sure how that's possible)
2021 Deaths as of 11/22/2021: 386k
Total Deaths as of 8/18/2022: 1.04M (269k for 2022 so far if my math is correct)

So 2022 has seen 70% of the deaths of that 11/22/2021 numbers, with 3 months left to get even closer to the numbers above, despite nearly 70-80%(?) of society being vaxxed (ranging from 1 jab to fully jabbed)?

Add in your number of 90% of adults have received at least one jab, and I'm not seeing much of an argument to get "jabbed" for the "greater good" as the numbers seem essentially unchanged.
You didn't understand the rest of the WebMd article?
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021...ass-2020-total

States that were hit hard early in the pandemic had some of the highest COVID-19 death rates per capita in 2020, according to a recent analysis by The Wall Street Journal. The Northeast had some of the highest death rates per 100,000 residents, especially New Jersey and New York, as well as North Dakota and South Dakota.

This year, Southern states have reported the highest death rates due to a major surge caused by the contagious Delta variant. Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, and Tennessee have reported the highest death rates so far this year, the newspaper reported.

Vermont has the lowest COVID-19 death rate per 100,000 people since the pandemic began, according to the Journal. The state also has the most vaccinated population, with 72% fully vaccinated.

Mississippi has the highest death rate since the pandemic began, the newspaper reported. The state is among the least vaccinated states, with 47% fully vaccinated.

Most deaths tend to be among older adults, though younger people are dying more this year. About 81% of COVID-19 deaths hit ages 65 and older last year, falling to 69% this year. The deaths among people under 45 in 2021 have been more than double the deaths in that age group from last year.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...inated-people/

Taken at face value, these numbers may appear to indicate that vaccination does not make that much of a difference. But this perception is an example of a phenomenon known as the base rate fallacy.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:47 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Is this a Yogi Berra quote???
If it wasn't clear, a mutation can become deadlier, but cannot remain dominant forever. If it is virulent enough, it could wipe out human existence in a short timeframe, but then it wouldn't have anyone to host.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:56 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
You didn't understand the rest of the WebMd article?
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021...ass-2020-total

States that were hit hard early in the pandemic had some of the highest COVID-19 death rates per capita in 2020, according to a recent analysis by The Wall Street Journal. The Northeast had some of the highest death rates per 100,000 residents, especially New Jersey and New York, as well as North Dakota and South Dakota.

This year, Southern states have reported the highest death rates due to a major surge caused by the contagious Delta variant. Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, and Tennessee have reported the highest death rates so far this year, the newspaper reported.

Vermont has the lowest COVID-19 death rate per 100,000 people since the pandemic began, according to the Journal. The state also has the most vaccinated population, with 72% fully vaccinated.

Mississippi has the highest death rate since the pandemic began, the newspaper reported. The state is among the least vaccinated states, with 47% fully vaccinated.

Most deaths tend to be among older adults, though younger people are dying more this year. About 81% of COVID-19 deaths hit ages 65 and older last year, falling to 69% this year. The deaths among people under 45 in 2021 have been more than double the deaths in that age group from last year.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...inated-people/

Taken at face value, these numbers may appear to indicate that vaccination does not make that much of a difference. But this perception is an example of a phenomenon known as the base rate fallacy.
Because the vaccine is the only variable here?

Here are the states with the highest rates of obesity:

1. Mississippi

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...the-most-obese

Hilarious how the media failed to leave that little factoid out. I will forever stand by my living-a-healthy-life "vaxx" as the best defendant against COVID (and other illness).

Please explain how we're at 90% adult vaxx rate now (according to you), and the deaths aren't slowing.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 08-19-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:23 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Yes, there was a few months of “get it before we try and force you to get it”.

I have no idea what your “don’t want to work” insult on the young is about or can possibly relate to anything I said.

Not wearing a mask was unamerican in the past? Not social distancing was unamerican in the past? Gathering in large groups was unamerican in the past? When was this? What are you smoking? I don’t recall you people throwing a tantrum and screeching because I associated with other human beings without a mask in 2019, or 2010, or 2000. Nobody was bitching about public gatherings then. And you’re calling what I said satire?
Anything done in direct opposition to the vast majority of your fellow citizens "belief" (right or wrong), isn't anti-social? I had better get a new dictionary.

"Un-American" is a bit more nebulous. Protesting a war, not having enough flags to wave, criticizing a president, removing a statue, taking a knee on a football field, prohibition, stores open on Sundays, the Patriot Act, taxes, unions, union busting, segregation, desegregation.

Maybe individuals putting their own 'comfort' above the best interests (at the time) of the country and her citizens may not fall into that category. What do I know?

Last edited by Deertick; 08-19-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:27 AM
Jim M.arinari

This may help everyone out.

Think of the vaccine as being "A good guy with a gun".

If it (he) wasn't there, just think of the carnage that would have ensued!
Old 08-19-2022, 11:56 AM
D@le Irv*n

Dr. Brix openly admitted she knew the vax didn't work and still pushed them.

Yet people still can't figure it out and are still getting boosted and thanking the vax when they get covid.

Unbelievable.

Remember when Fauci said he "needs" people to "solely" take the vaccines and not anything else?
https://youtu.be/AoNPn_RP6eA
Old 08-19-2022, 12:21 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
If it wasn't clear, a mutation can become deadlier, but cannot remain dominant forever. If it is virulent enough, it could wipe out human existence in a short timeframe, but then it wouldn't have anyone to host.
You say that as though the virus reasons that out.

Why doesn't cancer figure out that if it grows and spreads too much, it is committing suicide by killing its host?
Old 08-19-2022, 12:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Mark, I am not at all vouching for it, but you may find it interesting reading about swarm intelligence as applied to bacteria and viruses.

I also note, and this is meant neutrally, the phenomenon that when people believe in a particular narrative, they will frequently discount information that does not comport with that narrative, and cherry pick information that does comport. A true agnostic can be hard to find.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-19-2022 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:59 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Mark, I am not at all vouching for it, but you may find it interesting reading about swarm intelligence as applied to bacteria and viruses.

I also note, and this is meant neutrally, the phenomenon that when people believe in a particular narrative, they will frequently discount information that does not comport with that narrative, and cherry pick information that does comport. A true agnostic can be hard to find.
I have always been interested in the idea of intelligence ascribed to simple creatures. For instance, watching a nature show and the narrator explains that a chameleon changes its color to blend in with its surroundings. I wonder, does the chameleon look around, say, "Hmm... looks like I'll be wearing a reddish beige today..."

Or does the chameleon's skin change color automatically, subconsciously, as a built-in mechanism, without the animal deciding to do it.

Or, giraffes have long necks to eat leaves off trees. Did giraffes grow long necks to eat leaves, or did the animals with the longest necks have access to more food (and better sight lines to spot predators) and thus survive because they had these advantages?

I'm not pushing an agenda or cherry picking anything here, just wondering. My suspicion is that there is some intelligence at a greater level. Maybe swarm intelligence like you suggest, maybe Darwinism (the virulent viruses kill their hosts before they can replicate in other hosts), or maybe something else is at work.

My dog consciously rings a bell to go outside because I taught him that. His fur sheds in the summer and grows back thicker prior to our Minnesota winters. He doesn't do that; it just happens.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:06 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
This may help everyone out.

Think of the vaccine as being "A good guy with a gun".

If it (he) wasn't there, just think of the carnage that would have ensued!
Ha
Old 08-19-2022, 01:11 PM
Jim M.arinari

Deleted for being too snarky, even for me.

Last edited by Deertick; 08-19-2022 at 01:32 PM.