NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2014, 07:23 AM

Default PayPal & Income Tax Question

I know PayPal has a rule about sending tax forms when you make $20K or more, but how do they define that $20K? Do they only count eBay transactions? Do they count Friends and Family deposits or deposits of funds from your bank or Coinstar as "income?" Is there a place on their site to see exactly where you stand for the year so you know?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 09-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Basically from what i read, its a mess. That we need 2 separate accounts for personal & business.

I did find some info regarding this tho:
1. OK. The $20,000 is revenue NOT profit. Pay-pal will report you made sales over $20,000 or 200 transactions. They have no idea if you made a profit. You will report that yourself on a Schedule C if you made over $400 in profit.

2. Your online store would be considered income from self employment. You are required to file a federal income tax return if your gross income from self employment is $400 or more. If your net income is $400 or more, at a minimum you will owe self employment tax. Depending on how much you make and the state in which you reside, you may also owe federal and/or state income tax. You are responsible for keeping your own records of income and expenses.

If you have other income which requires you to file a federal income tax return, you must report all income from self employment (even that less than $400) on your return.

I also found this very interesting as well:
Re: Paypal Tax Reporting Policy
GazCooperOnline's advice above is right on....Don't mess with the IRS....they need money to keep the govt running and their job is to extract every bit they can plus penalties and interest and in some cases throw you in jail to make you an example to others.

You are either in business or you are playing at it. If you have never read the IRS's publication for businesses, I strongly suggest you do so -

Publication 334 (2010), Tax Guide for Small Business

One thing you will learn is that you should never "co-mingle" personal and business funds, ever. Whether you think you can prove it was personal funds is of no regards to an IRS agent who needs to meet his or her quota for the month.

Debate the issue of what PayPal is or isn't all day but to the IRS and the US Govt. they are a financial business. I view the requirement of submitting an SSN or TIN for accounts having less than $20K in transactions as a pre-emptive CYA action on the part of Paypal.

If your business ultimately reaches that threshold and they are unable to obtain your SSN or TIN then they become subject to heavy fines and penalties and I am talking in the tens of thousands of dollars or more.

ALL financial institutions, car dealers, coin dealers, and other businesses are required to submit a special form to the government if someone deposits $10,000 or more in cash. Guess what, some banks are so fearful of the fines they might have to pay that they even file the form for $3,000. I know as I had to give them my driver's license to deposit $3K of my father's money into my father's bank account 5 years ago. NOT my account, his. So some banks have voluntarily lowered the limit from $10K to $3K (in my case) just to cover their back sides. Can't blame them if you do the research and see the $$$ of fines they are subject to.

I am neither an accountant or attorney, however, I did study accounting 30 years ago and have had first hand business experience dealing with numerous banks over the years.

In the past 10 years my small business has experienced over $1 million in fraudulent orders. Two times I had to shut down business acounts that were used for wire transfers due to fraudulent withdrawals.

It was interesting to note in the last instance the bank rep told me that they had at least one incident a day of someone trying to use stolen ID to get money fraudulently from the bank.

I know this post went a bit off subject but I keep reading about all the PayPal horror stories and then this post about why they are asking for some ID and I feel every needs to know that there is another side to the story.

My suggestion for those who have a business and who sell personal items on ebay is to set up a personal PP account in your spouse or partner's name for any non-business buying and selling and have it tied to a personal bank account with a very small balance.

In regards to your business PP account, don't do non-business ebay transactions or have your brother, sister, mother, father or anyone send you money if you need it into this account as it should not be co-mingled into your business funds.

Gaz Cooper gave some excellent examples in his post, believe me there are thousands more horror stories and you don't want to be one of them.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 09-11-2014, 08:57 AM

Thanks pawpaw. I'm still trying to figure out primarily:

1) what they include as revenue for that $20K. If I deposit $1K from my bank account intpo PayPal to buy something, do they just include that $1K deposit as "revenue"?

2) If they have a place online to figure out where you stand in regards to the $20K limit for the year?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Jeff P0tter

I am fairly certain you need to have 20k in revenue AND 200 plus transactions. Funding of your own money from your bank account to paypal do not count, they are not revenue. There should be a report, under the history section, reports, called annual financial summary, which would give you a total. Hope this helps.
Best,
Jeff
Old 09-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Belltown Vintage

I would just always keep in mind that the IRS has the Paypal information to use if they decide to audit you. Then you might have to explain how the Paypal income matches up against the income you reported.

I'm curious if anyone has had to explain Paypal information to the IRS during an audit. Especially curious about how they view the 'Paypal gift' thing, which is why I avoid it completely.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Greg Mitchell

And then the question that may apply to more: If you do NOT have an online card site or eBay store and are not really in business; and just buy and sell a handful of cards each month (here, at ebay, or auctions) for your collection...certainly under 200 and 20,000 for paypal...how do taxes work for this lower-level approach?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

i assume its just like playing the lottery. Does anyone report their scratch-offs?
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 09-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
I am fairly certain you need to have 20k in revenue AND 200 plus transactions.
This is correct.

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 09-11-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:05 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I use my PayPal $$ in my taxes. I go through and itemize what counts and what doesn't as income. You report and individualize what is income and what is not. Obviously, I don't report on my annual taxes a transfer to PayPal from my own bank as profit.

Duly note that I have a state business license and already report quarterly for state sales taxes, so that itemizing is largely already done anyway when Federal taxes role around.

No, rarely would all of someone's money deposits in one's personal PayPal count as income. As I said, many people regularly transfer their own bank funds into PayPal. The IRS would understand that.

Also note that PayPal does specifically identify direct bank account transfers as its own thing in the listings-- after all, you do the transfer via PayPal on the PayPal site--, so might not even count that towards the $20,000 anyway. My bet is they don't count personal bank transfers towards the $20,000.

Last edited by drcy; 09-11-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:16 PM

Thanks all. I was finally able to find a place for reports, and although a pain (you have to do each month at a time and manually add), there is a place where they add up each month's "revenue" separately. I still don't see where they are putting Friends and Family payments, but deposits are counted separately.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:19 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I do mine by hand. Itemize on a print out and do the own calculations on a calculator.

Last edited by drcy; 09-11-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Greg Mitchell

Let's say you by a card for $150 and sell it the next week for $200. Does that mean your "income" was $200? Or $50? Or separately you'd list $50 in a profit line? Or $150 as an "expense"? And would this apply to casual dealing, not a "business"?
Old 09-11-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Let's say you by a card for $150 and sell it the next week for $200. Does that mean your "income" was $200? Or $50? Or separately you'd list $50 in a profit line? Or $150 as an "expense"? And would this apply to casual dealing, not a "business"?
My 2 Cents... If You are a Collector, than this would be part of your "Hobby" Report on Your 1040A. It's no different than reporting Art, Coins & Stamps.

If You have a "Business", than You'll need to Separate Your "Hobby" from Your "Business" transactions. Over the years I have found that it's Only difficult if I make it So!

I just report it All... As it is!
Old 09-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Along with Denny Walsh's comment, please allow me to add this:

In the scenario mentioned above, the $200 is gross revenue and the $150 is an expense. Both of these numbers should be reported (and source documents for both transactions would be very helpful.)

The net income of $50 will show on the line item for which the IRS Form instructs you to deduct one particular line from another particular line. So, all three numbers would be reported.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 09-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Since I have been buying and selling cards, the best investment I have ever made was to secure the services of an accountant who's knowledgeable and focused on self employed individuals. All of my questions I had concerning how to report my activities, such as what can be considered expenses, deductions, etc, were answered very easily by my accountant. My cost for his services (answer my questions, help me to establish a system I maintain to account for my transactions, and prepare my taxes) are about $300/year. Best money I spend all year long.