NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Chris

Default Pawn Stars

Any one see the new episode of Pawn Stars last night? A man brought in a bunch of Muhammad Ali cards along with some other items and they said that the cards are probably not worth very much do to the sports card crash. I just got back into cards over the last year and have not collected like I do now sence the 90's. Was there really a crash?

-Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Todd C

I did not see the episode last night. I did an episode where someone brought in 5 Pete Rose cards. They were not rookies. They determined the cards to be reprints because he had 5 of them and they looked to be in too good of shape.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Jason Albregts

While I enjoy the show and watch it regularly, they do not know much about cards.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:19 AM
marty

Yes, I like that show. I didn't see the Ali cards but I remember the Pete Rose cards (not Rookies). I didn't think they were fake.. but I couldn't tell much from where I was sitting...
Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM
John Hanssen

Default Here is a link to these cards for E-Bay

I think this is the set on the Pawn Stars - 1991 All World Boxing Trading Cards Box muhammad ali

http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-All-World-B...item53e1b96a8e

just junk!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Joe Hunter

Default Pawn Stars

Yes, I did see the episode last night with the Ali memorabilia. I thought the price the 'stars paid for the items was fair, given the fact they were not authenticated. The crash in cards Rick refererenced was the drop in value of modern cards from their peak in the early '90's. (Big drop, in many cases.)
Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Dave

Yeah, all the cards were very common overproduced cards.

The Poster was a commonly reprinted closed circuit poster.

As for the autographs, I stay far away from Ali stuff unless I know exactly where it came from. His autograph is common but the bad stuff still outnumbers the good stuff many, many times over...........and some versions of his sig are very easy for a forger to make look pretty convincing, especially a sharpie example.

The record was interesting but probably ruined by a questionable signature.

The other unsigned stuff was common.

I would have personally avoided the collection altogether. I will not say outright the autographs were bad.........but I didn't feel good about them either.

The guy in the show, did look familiar to me.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
While I enjoy the show and watch it regularly, they do not know much about cards.
I am with you. Also, I am fine with the "crash in cards" belief. In fact, lets keep it going!
Old 06-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Jim D

Spread the word... the card market crashed, the have little value anymore.. especially pre 1980's cards.... Im paying a penny a card!!!!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Johnny S

Between the multiple gloves, photo, and record there was atleast five autos and the guy didn't even hesitate for a second when they said 700.00 he just took the money and ran fake fake and fake.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

Those Rose cards were authentic. Shows you how little these guys know about some things as was the case with the Gehrig jersey. There was a crash and the crash will forever last as late 1980's and 1990's cards are essentially worthless. A few months ago on eBay, I saw a guy buy (500) 1987 Topps Roger Clemens cards on eBay for one penny and I saw a collection of
(10) 1987 Topps sets sell for $14.

Larry
Old 06-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Chris

I rember when I was a kid in 89 and I went to the local hoppy shop to buy a set of 89 Topps for $30. The delar told me I should by another one so I could put one in the closet to make money and have the other to look at. Well, that did not work out very well. There use to be four or five card shopps around me here in Detroit and the last one on Woodward just closed a few months ago. Looks like it online or bust!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Rose cards

Larry, I have to disagree with you. Even looking through the TV screen it was apparent that the Rose cards were fake. I knew it the minute the guy laid them on the counter.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Pawn Stars

Funny, I was watching DEA on Spike TV today. They not only found major drugs but some 80's and 90's Topps, which he said were old school.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Jim D

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Larry, I have to disagree with you. Even looking through the TV screen it was apparent that the Rose cards were fake. I knew it the minute the guy laid them on the counter.

Rick
You could tell those were fake the few brief moments they were on tv... you're a better man then I....

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:02 PM

They did look pretty fake right away. The images were really fuzzy and it didn't really look like the right card stock.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Funny, I was watching DEA on Spike TV today. They not only found major drugs but some 80's and 90's Topps, which he said were old school.
LOL. That is funny.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Bill

Glad it has finally been confirmed by the greatest source possible, some fat bald guys in a pawn shop in NV, that the baseball card crash is real.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Jim

Hi Jim,
Over the years I have been burned by some fakes so I am very cautious when purchasing cards. Some of the fakes are very difficult to detect, but these weren't good fakes. They were like some of the counterfeit cards on ebay - one quick glance and you know they aren't any good.

My wife and I were watching that episode of pawn stars and when they showed the first close up of the cards I turned to my wife and said "those are fakes". On the latest episode where someone brought in some Ali autographs I was completely in the dark. I don't know anything about them so I wouldn't have been able to identify the good ones from the bad ones. I am sure that other people on this board could spot them right away.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 AM

I have handled many, many, many thousands of cards from the 1967 Topps set and those cards were printed differently than other cards from the decade. The QC was all over the place on that issue. TV is probably not the best place to judge if a card is authentic....but those looked real from my perspective and I deal with the idiosyncracies of that set every day.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Jim D

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi Jim,
Over the years I have been burned by some fakes so I am very cautious when purchasing cards. Some of the fakes are very difficult to detect, but these weren't good fakes. They were like some of the counterfeit cards on ebay - one quick glance and you know they aren't any good.

My wife and I were watching that episode of pawn stars and when they showed the first close up of the cards I turned to my wife and said "those are fakes". On the latest episode where someone brought in some Ali autographs I was completely in the dark. I don't know anything about them so I wouldn't have been able to identify the good ones from the bad ones. I am sure that other people on this board could spot them right away.

Rick
the general consensus at the time, from what i remember, is that the cards were real, no one had seen fakes of that card. Afterall, who fakes a 4th year Rose or whatever it was. The board had a thread about the Rose cards and the Gehrig jersey.... Now myself, i have no clue, even if they were in my hand, im not the best at detecting fakes....

Old 06-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post

haha, i was actually watching that same episode yesterday. There was a bunch of 1991 Upper Deck in sheets as well and the DEA agent said something to the effect of " Hes selling drugs and might not even know hes sitting on a fortune of old Baseball cards". I got a good laugh out of that.

BTW hi guys, my name is Bilko from Calgary. Been reading the boards for years and was a member on the old board, just recently signed up on the "new board" though. Ill probably mainly be a lurker