NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 PM

Pat.....guess you can call this an imposter. I dont recall the name of this set. It has the same front of Aaron Robinson one side(as one of the cards you have) and an actor(recognize the face but dont know actor's name) on other side of the card. Presumably same year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img693.jpg (24.2 KB, 1187 views)
File Type: jpg img694.jpg (21.2 KB, 1190 views)

Last edited by joeadcock; 12-08-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
Pat.....guess you can call this an imposter. I dont recall the name of this set. It has the same front of Aaron Robinson one side(as one of the cards you have) and an actor(recognize the face but dont know actor's name) on other side of the card. Presumably same year.
Neat cards....have pics on both sides, I have them classified as W571/D305- Bond Bread perforated, but more research is needed. Even in looking at one of the revisions (1967) of the ACC it is difficult to pinpoint their designation....From what I remember W571 was the best I could do .

Last edited by Leon; 12-10-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

So is there a conclusion as to the designation of the square borders and are they listed in the Standard Catalog?

Last edited by Sterling Sports Auctions; 02-27-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:48 AM
Michael Fried

Default Perforated dual sided cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post

In response to your Post #54 above (12-09-2013), the actor is Dane Clark as pictured in "Deep Valley" (released in 1947).

I sure would appreciate any help anyone can provide with the fronts and the backs of this two-sided set that I cannot match together. See Post #287 (07-03-2020) above.

Original work Copyright 2020, by Michael Fried, P.O. Box 27521, Oakland, California 94602-0521. No claim to the works of others.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:28 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Interesting thread - Quick search turns up this complete set of Robinson issues - will these seriously go for $40K+

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Jackie...9ba761d58a1103
Old 07-05-2020, 11:02 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Interesting thread - Quick search turns up this complete set of Robinson issues - will these seriously go for $40K+

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Jackie...9ba761d58a1103
The first card pictured in the eBay lot (which PSA labeled as "Portrait, Facsimile Auto") is the first card Bond Bread issued in this set. It's a 1947 Jackie Robinson card issued during his first year of playing in the Major Leagues. That card was widely distributed and is now more available in higher grades than any other card in the set. The rest of the cards in the set were issued from 1947 to 1949, so many are not Jackie Robinson's "rookie" cards.

The eBay listing of this "Portrait, Facsimile Auto" card shows it has been graded a PR 1 (as are most of the cards offered in this set), the lowest grade PSA gives. Only a very few single high grade cards from this set have sold in the low 5 figure range, as have sets.

Over the past year or so, depending on demand, individual cards from this set that were graded poor have brought between $550 and $2,500 each. With all 13 different cards of the set being offered in the eBay lot, even at $1,000 a card, that's Thirteen Grand.

The eBay lot is a "Buy It Now" listing at $42,000, with a "Make Offer" option. Unless money is of no concern to a potential buyer, anyone who is serious about buying the lot would be foolish not to make an offer.

The demand for Jackie Robinson "rookie" cards by investors in "rookie" cards has not only driven up their prices, but permitted dealers and grading card services to misdescribe and wrongly date many of his post-war cards from the 1940s.

Such misdescription is an ongoing issue that Ted Zanidakis widely opened up in starting this thread in 2009. The Festberg find cards (which included over 3,000 Jackie Robinson cards) were coming on the market graded as "1947 Bond Bread" cards when they never saw a Bond Bread package. Now, more than 10 years later, would those Festberg "rookie" cards, all in higher grades, be worth $1,000 per card? Perhaps some investor is willing to spend real money on the Robinson cards of the Festberg find as 3,000 cards at $1,000 each is $3,000,000?

Original work Copyright 2020 by Michael Fried, P.O. Box 27521, Oakland, California 94602-0521. No claim to the original work of others. Your fair comment and criticisms are welcomed.

Last edited by abctoo; 07-19-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1947 BOND BREAD cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by abctoo View Post
The 1947 Homogenized Bond Bread inserts and Cards and Photos with like and similar pictures.

Distinguishing the Bond Bread package inserts from “Sport Star Subjects” cards

An easy method exists for telling apart many of the Bond Bread package insert cards from cards in the “Sport Star Subjects” set, but it does not work for distinguishing all cards from these two sets.

People who actually obtained Bond Bread cards from bread packages, and those who purchased such cards directly from them, have said the backs are white and without any bread stains. That tells only half the story. While there are few bread stains on any of the Bond Bread package inserts, all were affected by being next to the bread. My original bond bread cards and those I have seen, as well as the scans of all of cards for which there is direct evidence that they were actually obtained from Bond Bread packages, show a less bright white back than the 'Sport Star Subjects” cards in better grades. I cannot say what is the impact on the brightness of the backs of “Sport Star Subjects' cards that have worn down to a lower grade.

All cards could be told apart between the two sets by comparing pictures that clearly show the details of the die cuts used in the "Sport Star Subjects" set against pictures that clearly show the details of some of the die cuts from the original Bond Bread insert set. That would identify any individual die cut flaws specific to the "Sport Star Subjects" not appearing on the die cuts used to print the Bond Bread set. To do so is more than a one person job and would require the help of others reading this thread.

Copyright 2020, by Michael Fried, P.O. Box 27521, Oakland, California 94602-0521

I stated (some time ago) that I was not going to continue participating in this thread, anymore. But, after reviewing this particular post, I cannot let this stand.
This is mis-leading information....."FAKE NEWS" if you will.

Shown below are examples from my 1947 BOND BREAD set. As most of you know I collected these cards in the Summer/Fall of 1947. I have 44 cards (just the
Baseball subjects). I chose as examples to display the major Rookie cards. The backs of 42 cards in my set are clear WHITE (as shown). Two of the cards in my
set (Yogi Berra and Larry Jansen) exhibit traces of black/gray spotting. I recall that I up-graded my original Berra card. And, I recall purchasing the Jansen card
in the early 1980's, since it was not in my original collection.

This Berra and Jansen (with back stains) were not originally in my collection

The point of this response is to contradict the above QUOTED myth that the bread in the BOND BREAD packages stained the backs of these cards.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 07-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I stated (some time ago) that I was not going to continue participating in this thread, anymore. But, after reviewing this particular post, I cannot let this stand.
This is mis-leading information....."FAKE NEWS" if you will.

Shown below are examples from my 1947 BOND BREAD set. As most of you know I collected these cards in the Summer/Fall of 1947. I have 44 cards (just the
Baseball subjects). I chose as examples to display the major Rookie cards. The backs of 42 cards in my set are clear WHITE (as shown). Two of the cards in my
set (Yogi Berra and Larry Jansen) exhibit traces of black/gray spotting. I recall that I up-graded my original Berra card. And, I recall purchasing the Jansen card
in the early 1980's, since it was not in my original collection.

The point of this response is to contradict the above QUOTED myth that the bread in the BOND BREAD packages stained the backs of these cards.

TED Z
Ted, You misread what I wrote and only got half of the story. You cannot go around telling people that only genuine Bond Bread cards have rounded corners and white backs and ignore the rounded corner "Sport Star Subjects" set that also has white backs and rounded corners. I did not say the Bread stained the backs of the Bond Bread insert cards.

Read what I wrote again: "While there are few bread stains on any of the Bond Bread package inserts, all were affected by being next to the bread." To me that specifically says that most Bond Bread cards had no stains from the bread . . . but like any piece of paper next to bread, the bread can take away some of the brightness of the white cardstock. That's not a stain. It's still white, but not as glossy.

I know you have original cards and the few original cards I have are not in as good a grade as your many cards, so my photos were not good. Look at your photos of the backs of genuine Bond Bread cards you posted in 2009 in Posts nos. 8 and 11 of this thread.

Please help us all out by posting a scan of the back of a genuine Bond Bread insert next to the back of a genuine "Sport Star Subjects" card. We all would like to see it.

Last edited by abctoo; 07-22-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:19 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Hey Michael. I appreciate the shout out. Will send you a private message response later tonight. I'm going to post this in my original thread, but as Michael mentioned, I've been doing more research on the set of 13 Bond Bread series. I'm not sure if this will post properly, but here's a newspaper article from July 1947. This article shows that the original Facsimile card was distributed for free to the majority of Black families in Harlem, NY prior to July 1947. In July 1947, it was distributed in promo packages with 2 slices of bread. ANYBODY that wrote to General Baking / Bond Bread was given for free a copy of the card. While I am still researching, this article also indicates that other "picture cards", which I now believe to be the other six attributed to 1947 were distributed at newsstands, candy stores, ice cream stands, etc. At the end of the article, it states clearly that this issue was not limited to NY, but rather distributed in other cities with large Black communities, including but not limited to Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore and Detroit. This covers essentially all the MLB cities in 1947, indicating that this issue was not regional as it was once believed to be.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards