NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default This weekend's Cooperstown Show report

Another great time in Cooperstown this past Thurs thru Sunday. First time in a long time that there was no rain.....but, it was very hot.

The BB card show at the VFW building was very busy both days (Fri & Sat). Most of us 15 dealers (vintage BB cards & memorabilia) had
an excellent show. And, Jimmy Spence was constantly busy.

Here is a sampling of some of the cards that I sold......

N162 Billiards players
T201 Cobb / Crawford
T206 Johnson (portrait)....Sovereign 150 back
T206 Shaughnessy
T206 Evers (portrait)
Several T206's with tougher backs
44 cards from my T206 "junk box"
Diamond Stars, Goudey's and Play Balls
1949, 1950, 1951 Bowman's
1952 Bowman Mantle (PSA 4)
and,
1961, 1963, 1966, and 1967 Topps High #s

I met Tom and Ellen Zappala, and Lou Blasi on Saturday on Main Street. We spent quite a bit of time chatting about T206's. They had a
constant crowd at their table interested in their "T206 Collection" book. Tom, Ellen and Lou are really great folks to talk with.

Every year at this show some interesting things happen. In my next post here, I will tell you of an astonishing coincidence that occurred.

TED Z
Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Bill Hedin

Default glad you had fun, Ted!

Hi Ted,
Thanks for the up-date! i really miss those Cooperstown shows.
Glad to see you had a good show and fun while there!
Was our friend Bob Thing set up? I think he's done every show there since the first!
Best Regards,
Bill Hedin
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Bill

Great to hear from you. Hope all is well with you.

It's always a good show and we have a lot of fun in that quaint village of Cooperstown. Especially, when we get to talk with our baseball heroes
from our youth. Most of the Hall of Famers are very easy to talk with and many are very enthusiastic to engage in a conversation with you.

Our good buddy, Bob Thing, was not there. He called Don from Worcester (MA) to inform him that he couldn't make it because his van had broke
down. I think this is the first time Bob has missed this show since its beginning in 1979.

Best regards, Bill

TED Z
Old 07-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Induction week at Cooperstown

Lots of fun. Great food. Friendly people. Cooperstown is the best place to be on Induction weekend. For card collectors it is especially cool this year. If you haven't seen Ken Kendrick's "Ultimate Collection" of his twenty-five greatest baseball cards you are really missing something. They are on display on the second floor of museum. The card show across the street is always fun. I picked up a few T-206s for the collection and had a interesting conversation with Ted Z about the American Lithograph Company. Got a few autographs. The best part was playing catch with Ozzie Smith, Rod Carew and Andre Dawson, and listening to Whitey Herzog tell stories.

Can't wait till next year.

Best regards,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010308.jpg (77.4 KB, 627 views)
File Type: jpg P1010311.jpg (69.3 KB, 622 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (66.3 KB, 620 views)
Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Joe D

Great pictures....you certainly know how to enjoy the weekend in Cooperstown.

TED Z
Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

Every year at this show some interesting things happen. In my next post here, I will tell you of an astonishing coincidence that occurred.

TED Z

Early afternoon on Saturday at the show, a couple walked up to Don Flewelling's table and were looking for any cards of Eugene Schott. Schott was the lady's uncle.
Not too well-known, Schott pitched for Cinci (1935-38) and the Phillies 1939). Don told her that her uncle was not featured in any major set (i.e., Goudey's or Play
Balls), but may be found in some seldom seen regional issue(s).

Then, 4 PM that Saturday, an older gentleman walked in with an eclectic collection of pre-war BB cards. He sold them to a dealer at the show named George. George
showed Don an unusual, colorful, exhibit-size card that was in this walk-in. This card was that of Gene Schott. Furthermore, it had Schott's autograph on it. You had
to be there to see Don's reaction, he went "bananas" over this find. It was an unbelievably mind-boggling coincidence.

Don bought the card from George in the hopes of running into Schott's niece again. Well there is a happy ending here.....as this couple returned to the VFW building
Saturday evening to attend the BB card Auction.

POST SCRIPT....I found that Gene Schott is in a seldom seen 1938 Cinci team issued B & W set (W711-1). The classification of the issue that his above stated card
is in, is unknown. If any one on this forum can identify it, it would be greatly appreciated.

TED Z
Old 07-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Richard Cline

Here is my Schott from the W571-1, I don't have any info on the other card but would love to see a scan.
RC

Old 07-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Richard

Nice card of Gene Schott....one not often seen. Thanks for displaying it.

The card of Schott in my story is in the collection of his niece. Therefore, no scan of this particular card is available.

Let me try to describe it as best as I recall; and perhaps, some one on this forum reading this post will produce a card
from this issue. If not Schott, himself.

The card's size is similar to an exhibit card. It's color tinted and is a portrait picture of Schott from his chest to his cap.
The card issue should be 1935 - 1940.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 07-27-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:36 PM

Default Schott is in R312

Old friend Ted,
Gene Schott is in the R312 premium set, which seems to match your description. Not scarce, but not seen every day, either. I've attached a scan; sorry about the size, but I don't do this very often and I don't know how to crop.
Bob Richardson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (89.3 KB, 305 views)
Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Thank you Bob

My first guess was R312 due to the color tinted picture. But, the Eugene Schott card
I referred to in the above story did not look as large as a normal R312.

I think both sides of that card were trimmed.

Thanks again, Bob.

TED Z
Old 07-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Great recap. I remember going to those shows in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I am fairly confident it use to have a couple of autograph guests, correct? I could have sworn I got both Ray Dandridge and Al Barlick autographs, either 1990 or 1991.

I also remember saving FOREVER for a 1966 Topps Mickey Mantle card that was purchased for $24 at that card show in 1988. Wouldnt trade that card for the world.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Larry

That's a great story! Glad you did well, Ted.

Best regards,

Larry
Old 07-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooptown View Post
Great recap. I remember going to those shows in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I am fairly confident it use to have a couple of autograph guests, correct? I could have sworn I got both Ray Dandridge and Al Barlick autographs, either 1990 or 1991.

I also remember saving FOREVER for a 1966 Topps Mickey Mantle card that was purchased for $24 at that card show in 1988. Wouldnt trade that card for the world.
Cooptown

In 1988, $24 for a 1966 Mickey Mantle card was quite a bargain. But, that's what made the Cooperstown show special.

You are correct....in 1991 the Cooperstown show was tranferred from Redman Hall to its present location, the VFW building on Main Street. The first two (or 3) shows
there had former BB players signing.

Do you remember when you entered Redman Hall, there a tall dealer named John ?
Who would have a "junk box" full of several 100's of T206 cards; and, in this box he would "bury" a Cobb. John would get a big kick watching collectors rummage thru
these cards and the expression on the lucky guy who found the Cobb.

TED Z
Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Thanks Larry

I have always been fascinated with unbelievable coincidences in life like the one in this story. There is a certain supernatural aspect to such events.

Best regards,

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 07-31-2011 at 06:03 AM.