NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2022, 01:29 PM

Default OT: Value of Bonds/Clemens cards

Wondering if the value of Bonds and Clemens cards would increase if they were elected to the Hall. Or is the value already baked into them regardless?
Old 01-26-2022, 01:30 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I'm sure there will be a short-term bump when the Vets eventually do the right thing, but the value is already baked in.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:16 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

+1 agreed short term bump for anyone elected in HOF because it creates a reminder/ awareness for that player from the casual collector or casually fan. But by an large already baked in. If the player passed away that also has a bump usually a little bigger jump for a little longer period

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-26-2022, 02:42 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I don’t think they will be admitted via the committee route. I think Bonds and Clemens are Jackson without the story and rarity. As such, I see their prices dropping further. Add Aroid to this group too.

Last edited by oldjudge; 01-26-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:45 PM
Anthony

I haven't been following Clemens as much, but I do collect Bonds and over the last couple of years, his 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany cards have taken off. The PSA 10's hovered around $1K for a long time, then jumped to $3K, then $6K. One just sold on auction last weekend for $12K.

I do think they will probably level off or even go down a bit since he didn't get in.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:07 PM
Greg C

Prices will go up. It will turn many non-believers and create hordes of new registry chasers
Old 01-26-2022, 03:15 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I haven't been following Clemens as much, but I do collect Bonds and over the last couple of years, his 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany cards have taken off. The PSA 10's hovered around $1K for a long time, then jumped to $3K, then $6K. One just sold on auction last weekend for $12K.

I do think they will probably level off or even go down a bit since he didn't get in.

I believe they were also 20k+ last January-February
Old 01-26-2022, 03:17 PM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
I believe they were also 20k+ last January-February
Oh wow, I never knew they got that high.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:21 PM
Fred

In the BST, I've offered (6) Topps Tiffany sets for sale. The only one that draws a lot of interest is the 86 Traded set. Bonds is part of that set so I figured he was the reason for the interest. I'm trying to move all 6 sets in a single deal, but may have to re-think that logic.

When you really think about this, Bonds is the all time HR leader and his MVP awards (total of 7, although the last 4 in a row from 2001-2004 were PED enhanced seasons) would seem to indicate that those 86 Traded (Tiffany) cards should be worth a bit more due to the limited number of Tiffany sets (5K) put about by Topps in 1986.

Yes, that was a shameful plug that should have been saved for the BST...

Clemens rookies (if you're into rookies) should be worth a bit if you value those cards on MLB performance and compare them to other players of his era. Oh yeah, it was a PED enhanced performance, that was denied.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:26 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I hope Bonds cards go up and are more desirable when he gets voted into the Hall. I was a Bonds fan when I lived in Sonoma County just north of SF and I got a chance to follow him and the team game by game. So I became a SF Giants fan and still am. And I became a Bonds fan at the same time, and still am.

I don't care about Clemens cards.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 01-28-2022, 07:42 AM
DR
David R@tliff

I don't believe election to the HOF matters for Bonds or Clemens, and it won't matter for Arod, either. I also don't believe that subsequent election will change anything on their cards other than potentially a very short term bump due to uneducated buyers assuming that it would permanently move their markets higher.

Collectors generally don't care about this anymore, especially considering how watered down the baseball HOF has now gotten, not to mention the hypocrisy of election of suspected PED users already.

If you don't believe me, go back and look at Pete Rose card prices and tell me that the HOF is holding them back?

And we all saw the Joe Jackson CJ last night in Heritage.

These three are all-time greats, HOF election or not. They should have been elected with Ortiz and Schilling to make up the "asterisk class", but the writers were too short sighted to see that was actually the best answer for everyone involved - players, fans and writers.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:46 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I don't believe election to the HOF matters for Bonds or Clemens, and it won't matter for Arod, either. I also don't believe that subsequent election will change anything on their cards other than potentially a very short term bump due to uneducated buyers assuming that it would permanently move their markets higher.

Collectors generally don't care about this anymore, especially considering how watered down the baseball HOF has now gotten, not to mention the hypocrisy of election of suspected PED users already.

If you don't believe me, go back and look at Pete Rose card prices and tell me that the HOF is holding them back?

And we all saw the Joe Jackson CJ last night in Heritage.

These three are all-time greats, HOF election or not. They should have been elected with Ortiz and Schilling to make up the "asterisk class", but the writers were too short sighted to see that was actually the best answer for everyone involved - players, fans and writers.
The value of cards and items is not just strictly tied to their actual sports achievements alone, especially in today's world where everything seems to be driven more by social media, so-called influencers, and the like. The stories and background of many players far exceed their on-field acts, and drive the prices of their cards. In many cases, it is probably better to be infamous, rather than just famous. For example, would anyone really be that interested in any of the Black Sox players (besides Jackson), and pay as much as they do for them if they hadn't been part of the scandal? And speaking of Jackson, he'd likely be in the HOF if not for the scandal, but not necessarily as an elite top tier HOFer, and certainly no one would be paying anywhere near the kind of prices they pay for his cards today. I doubt he'd have even made the inaugural HOF class.

With the records and achievements of players like Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, and so on, over time I can see more and more people who weren't around during their playing days actually forgetting about all the arguments and debate over what they did or didn't do, and actually start embracing cards and items of theirs as its own separate branch or niche of our hobby. Kind of like being seen as the unjustly persecuted few off baseball. There's always a significant portion of the public that seems to have a strange fascination and attraction to the perceived rebels and "bad boys" that are out there. And they won't be so harsh to judge the alleged, or otherwise, PED or 'roid users, especially in light of the indifference and blatant hypocrisy shown by MLB when faced with other cheating incidents and scandals, such as what the Astro's pulled, but for which it seems no player really received any deserved punishment.

I can even imagine and foresee that one day some current HOF voters may be viewed on a par with Joseph McCarthy, and the way his accusations and allegations of people being Communists was initially embraced, and how the accused were punished and ostracized for it. But that over time, as more information came forth, and more intelligent and clearer thinking heads prevailed, a lot of what he originally said and did has been abandoned, if not outright condemned as wrong.

Now don't any of you come back with the stupid jokes and comments because I mentioned McCarthy and Communists, I'm not comparing Bonds, Clemens and others to being Russian or Chinese spies. I'm merely showing the the potential parallels between the two situations, and how over time thinking and public opinion can dramatically change. So no juvenile comments or crap please!
Old 01-28-2022, 12:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Being associated with PEDs and being extremely unlikeable men is a double whammy for Bonds, Clemens, and probably ARod. I don't see any huge upside vis a vis the overall market.

I think McGwire may eventually be pardoned to an extent in the court of opinion, because he wasn't an outright jerk. I can't see it for the other three.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-28-2022 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:57 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Being associated with PEDs and being extremely unlikeable men is a double whammy for Bonds, Clemens, and probably ARod. I don't see any huge upside vis a vis the overall market.

I think McGwire may eventually be pardoned to an extent in the court of opinion, because he wasn't an outright jerk. I can't see it for the other three.
Yep. McGwire has also been contrite, and paid his dues to some extent.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:10 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

I personally buy Bonds Clemens Puckett Arod, et al all the time. Can be had in 8"s for cheap.9's pretty cheap as well.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s