NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2022, 10:53 AM
Robert Williams

Default Ebay tax reporting drops from $20,000 to $600

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned. With the tax threshold being dropped on Ebay from $20k to a measley $600, will that affect people selling on EBay??? I was just curious.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:05 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned. With the tax threshold being dropped on Ebay from $20k to a measley $600, will that affect people selling on EBay??? I was just curious.
It has been discussed many many times recently. I think it already has made a difference it what I buy/watch on eBay. Nobody wants the hassle for selling a few items they no longer use. In our hobby I know a few collectors that sell old stuff they no longer want to buy new items and now a couple have just said F'it and are done collecting.

I mainly wonder what the unlicensed non tax paying "Dealers" are going to do. One I know of still has a ton of stuff listed on eBay.

Bobby what are you personally going to do?

I rarely sell on eBay but have a bunch of oddball stuff I need to sell that will be over $600. I will probably sell some cards also. I need to talk to my current tax adviser but my guess is I will just have to pay income tax on the total because most of it was bought several years to decades ago and I have no proof of purchase price.

Last edited by bnorth; 01-26-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:13 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It has been discussed many many times recently. I think it already has made a difference it what I buy/watch on eBay. Nobody wants the hassle for selling a few items they no longer use. In our hobby I know a few collectors that sell old stuff they no longer want to buy new items and now a couple have just said F'it and are done collecting.

I mainly wonder what the unlicensed non tax paying "Dealers" are going to do. One I know of still has a ton of stuff listed on eBay.
A lot of private IP cash sales, less ebay and auction house sales.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:32 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
A lot of private IP cash sales, less ebay and auction house sales.

Oh boy - and a lot more fraud is on the way... not that fleabay provided a lot of protection from fraud (at either end - buying or selling), but there was something there.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:39 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Oh boy - and a lot more fraud is on the way... not that fleabay provided a lot of protection from fraud (at either end - buying or selling), but there was something there.
Fraud is acceptable in this industy.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:16 PM

I sell about 30-40K per year on ebay (basically a part-time job) and have always reported them on my taxes so it's really no big deal to me.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:03 PM

I sold over $20.k on ebay, 2021. I go to the ebay Account area, see the "tax" section, and see where the 1099-k should be. Just checked today Jan. 26th, still nothing, no 1099-k document showing. I also have not received any ebay tax document in the mail. Have you all yet received or can print the 1099-k from ebay site?
Old 01-26-2022, 01:05 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I sell about 30-40K per year on ebay (basically a part-time job) and have always reported them on my taxes so it's really no big deal to me.
+1 - Sounds just like me.... No big deal...
Old 01-26-2022, 01:08 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

The party's over. My guess is on-line sales plummet. A few BINs I was watching jumped 20% on New Years day. I asked why, and they all said "the IRS". No Thanks. With all the TPG and IRS B.S. going on, it looks like some will be going back to the archaic days of buying raw cards with check or MO. How ironic.

Last edited by conor912; 01-26-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Technically, it doesn't change our taxes. It IS a titanic shifting of the burden of proof, to an effective guilty until proven innocent with how these 1099's work. Getting reimbursed for things will become a pain in the ass, especially if the bank account monitoring eventually gets through. I will have to record and itemize every penny from every dinner with my friends, etc when that happens.

It's not like I have receipts for my purchase price of every card I've bought in my life. It's going to be a pain when, while being 100% honest on my taxes, I won't be able to prove it because I can't prove my profit on a card I bought in 1999 with cash at a show, if I remember the purchase price.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:43 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I was thinking the same that eBay will lose the most and the small sellers will get pushed out by overbearing tax laws. Pretty soon they will have a tax hotline for reporting your neighbors yard sale so the IRS can audit someone cleaning their basement.

I expect prices to go up and sales to go down which will boost IP and sales on Facebook or chat forums like the BST. Who knows? We may see a renaissance of collector shows.

PWCC has been so successful as they do not report via 1099 on any sales like other houses, this could be a blazing for them.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:26 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
I sold over $20.k on ebay, 2021. I go to the ebay Account area, see the "tax" section, and see where the 1099-k should be. Just checked today Jan. 26th, still nothing, no 1099-k document showing. I also have not received any ebay tax document in the mail. Have you all yet received or can print the 1099-k from ebay site?
Did you also have 200 or more sales transactions? That was the second threshold to be met in 2021 for a 1099-K to be required.

And technically the 1099s aren't due till 1/31, so they still have a few days.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:39 PM

If we now have to pay taxes on gains, can I offset the gains against my losses from collecting in the '80s & '90s? I'm still smarting from my investment in Score and Donruss collector's sets.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:41 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Always more fun at eBay. But the reality government wants their money and if we make it we pay it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-26-2022, 03:04 PM

Thanks for input on 200 sales threshold for 1099-k. Regardless, will report with the best numbers I have.

I have noticed a lack of available nice T206 HOFers and such on ebay - to a large degree has to be a result of PWCC gone. Now if the little guy also tapers back their selling of nice stuff, supply dries up.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:23 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default 1099k

Your Form 1099-K is now available. You can download it from the Taxes page.--I received and printed the 1099k form

This link may also be found on the Sellers Hub page under PAYMENTS.

Last edited by Directly; 01-26-2022 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:55 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Technically, it doesn't change our taxes. It IS a titanic shifting of the burden of proof, to an effective guilty until proven innocent with how these 1099's work. Getting reimbursed for things will become a pain in the ass, especially if the bank account monitoring eventually gets through. I will have to record and itemize every penny from every dinner with my friends, etc when that happens.

It's not like I have receipts for my purchase price of every card I've bought in my life. It's going to be a pain when, while being 100% honest on my taxes, I won't be able to prove it because I can't prove my profit on a card I bought in 1999 with cash at a show, if I remember the purchase price.
It is not really a matter of guilt, just proper reporting for tax purposes. And no, things like garage sales are NOT going to suddenly be stalked by IRS and state tax agents, nor are they going to accept and act on calls from people reporting those having garage sales. Garage sales are what are considered as "casual sales" and are generally not subject to income or sales tax laws. By their nature, they are considered to not be indicative of an ongoing business operation, and therefore don't need to be reported or monitored. In the past, the thresholds for things like 1099-K reporting were considered the point when one went from not operating a business to now operating a business, but there never had been a truly defined point that marked when someone's true intent was to operate as a business, and that has not changed..

Ebay is only the platform for these sales, and the new 1099-K reporting threshold isn't being imposed on Ebay, just those third-party payment services like Paypal, Venmo, or Zelle. Only Ebay sales using payment services like these get included in 1099-K reporting, not sales using checks, MOs, or credit cards. It is all about the government having access to your records if they want/need to go checking you out. It wasn't suddenly saying anyone doing $600 or more in casual sales is now considered to be in a viable, ongoing business.

And the $600 threshold goes hand in hand with the reporting threshold for non-employee, independent contractor, compensation, which has been at $600 for decades. That used to be reported on 1099-MISC forms until recently when they broke out such reporting a few years ago on the new 1099-NEC forms.

Anyway, the new 1099-K reporting is tied into the same reason that 1099-NEC forms do not have to be issued to people/businesses that operate as corporations. If you hire Joe Blow to plow your driveway, and cut him a check in payment, as an individual he can go to his bank and simply endorse and cash the check and walk out with his money. That cashed check never shows up in Joe Blow's bank account records or activities, or on his bank statement. However, if he incorporated his snow plowing business, you'd maybe make the check out to Joe Blow, Inc. In that case, if he takes it to his bank and endorses the check, under banking laws and regulations they can't just give him the money. He actually has to deposit that check into the corporation's bank account first, and can then write a check to himself personally, or otherwise transfer the money to himself. Regardless of what he does, that deposit will now show up in his corporate bank account records and on the corporate bank account statement. The IRS can then come in whenever they want and demand to see the corporate bank account records, and simply see the deposit and question if it was reportable income for tax purposes. And that is why a 1099-MISC or -NEC isn't required to be sent to a corporation, regardless of how much more over $600 someone may have paid a corporation for their services in any given year.

Well, when it comes to Paypal (and I assume similarly for other payment services like Zelle or Venmo), you generally have your account linked to an actual bank account you can draw money out of to then make payments through Paypal. But if someone sends you money through Paypal, it doesn't necessarily get deposited into your bank account. It sits in your Paypal account till you can have it transferred into your bank account, or use it to make Paypal payments to others. And as long as you never formally deposit anything back into your bank account, it also never shows up up on/in your bank account's records or statements, which the IRS can demand to see. It is similar to an individual non-employee getting paid by a check, but just cashing it at their bank instead of depositing it into their bank account, and thereby not create a traceable record of it in their name that the IRS can easily find. So to get after this potentially hidden income/business activity, they've taken to imposing this same $600 reporting threshold on third-party payment activity, like through Paypal.

Unfortunately in doing so, this reporting doesn't indicate whether you are operating an actual business, or just clearing out stuff from a garage or attic. I imagine the IRS' stance for anyone receiving these 1099-K forms after the lowering of the reporting threshold in 2022 will be that recipients are formally in an ongoing business, unless they report and show otherwise on their tax returns. And this distinction can be very important to someone who is not a card dealer, but a collector or investor instead, who maybe only sells thing occasionally to fund other purchases, or maybe to cash in when when a particular card/item suddenly jumps in value out in the marketplace. The reporting differences can be great, and I've already gone over them in more detail in other threads/posts of mine you can go look up. Suffice it to say here that I believe the biggest differences between reporting as a dealer versus reporting as a collector or investor, are whether your net profits from card sales are treated as ordinary or capital gain income, and whether or not those net profits may also be subject to self-employment tax.

Bottom line is, if you get one of these 1099-K forms, do not just ignore it. And if you try doing your taxes yourself after getting one of these 1099-K forms for the first time, and really don't know what you're doing and/or what I'm talking about, do yourself a big favor and at least seek out the advice and help from a qualified tax professional. Even if it ends up costing you some fees, chances are it will save you much more in time, expense, and aggravation over the long run.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:51 PM

Default Just printed my Paypal 1099K - eBay next

All eBay sales will show up on your 1099K's. I'm in Maryland and it is one of the states that use the $600 figure this year. I just printed my Paypal 1099K for January thru June 2021. In June I went to eBay managed payments and will be getting an eBay 1099K for June thru December 2021 sales. The 1099K's will include all eBay sales for the year no matter the payment method used by the buyer through paypal or eBay's managed payments. Here the $600 in a year is the only factor, the number of sales has no meaning.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:54 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I was thinking the same that eBay will lose the most and the small sellers will get pushed out by overbearing tax laws. Pretty soon they will have a tax hotline for reporting your neighbors yard sale so the IRS can audit someone cleaning their basement.

I expect prices to go up and sales to go down which will boost IP and sales on Facebook or chat forums like the BST. Who knows? We may see a renaissance of collector shows.

PWCC has been so successful as they do not report via 1099 on any sales like other houses, this could be a blazing for them.
First off, the tax laws themselves aren't changing. Most people were supposed to be reporting such activity on their returns all along.

See my previous post in regards to your comment about reporting people's garage sales.

Regarding price changes, I think it might be people looking more for different options and venues to sell on/through to get around these lowering reporting thresholds, than for people to raise prices to help cover taxes maybe now owed. No one's going to want to pay higher prices, and they'll go looking for those lower price options, like at card shows that could be seeing a huge resurgence as we get past these covid restrictions more and more. But remember, they were also trying to impose a new $600 reporting threshold on personal bank account activity as well, but that got pushed back up to I believe $10,000. But you watch, if everyone starts trying to do more cash deals to not have to report that activity for tax purposes, just see how fast they may look to revisit that $600 reporting threshold for personal bank accounts. And I won't even start about cops and these "asset forfeiture" laws.

And lastly, I don't get your comment regarding PWCC having an advantage over other houses (I'm assuming you meant other auction houses) by not having to issue 1099s to their consignors on sales. Technically, no one issues 1099s for sales of tangible property, they are issued for services. And PWCC doesn't buy anything from, or get any service provided by, their consignors to be sending them a 1099 for. If anyone would be required to be sending 1099s to PWCC's, or any auction house's, consignors for sales of tangible personal property, it would be the people that won the auctions. In truth and fact, if anyone should possibly be receiving a 1099, it would be PWCC (and all other AHs) from their consignors for the fees/commissions they charge for providing their auction/consignment services. Your thinking on this point is entirely bass ackwards.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:58 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default 1099k--2020

The report in my Tax link was actually for 2020 generated yesterday Jan 25, 2022--I assume a updated 1099K report will be coming soon for the year 2021-
Old 01-26-2022, 07:01 PM

Default Paypal funds

Bob,
The paypal 1099K includes all money coming into your account for sales. You can buy with your funds, let it set, or transfer to your bank if you want. Your 1099K will include every dollar coming into your account no matter how it goes out.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:23 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDean View Post
All eBay sales will show up on your 1099K's. I'm in Maryland and it is one of the states that use the $600 figure this year. I just printed my Paypal 1099K for January thru June 2021. In June I went to eBay managed payments and will be getting an eBay 1099K for June thru December 2021 sales. The 1099K's will include all eBay sales for the year no matter the payment method used by the buyer through paypal or eBay's managed payments. Here the $600 in a year is the only factor, the number of sales has no meaning.
Sorry for any misunderstanding, I believe Ebay's managed payment plan/system is considered somewhat on par with other payment platforms like Paypall, Zelle, etc. And therefore they'll report on all sales through that platform. I do not sell on Ebay and only know they are in the middle of eventually getting all Ebay sellers to adopt and be on their managed payment program. My understanding was that not all Ebay sellers had been forced to switch yet, and for those that hadn't, Paypal was still the primary payment venue/option being used, and that only payments through Paypal would be included in their 1099-K reporting (not including F&F payments).

This just highlights how confusing and complicated, as well as how inaccurate this reporting may be. As you mentioned, your 1099-K only included all Ebay sales starting in June through the year end, after you had switched to Ebay's managed payment system. Before that switch though, I'm assuming that any payments you had received that did not come through Paypal, are not showing up on a 1099-K.

And this also points out how tax laws and reporting can vary greatly by state.

Last edited by BobC; 01-26-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:52 PM

fyi - They did change some states thresholds recently. These nine states have lower 1099-K threshold limits different from federal requirements. They will produce 1099-K if you conduct business in these nine states.

State Threshold Effective
AR $2500.00 2020
DC $600.00 2020
IL 4 CC Trans + $1,000.00 2020
MA $600.00 2018
MD $600.00 2020
MS $1,000.00 2020
NJ $1,000.00 2020
VT $600.00 2018
VA $600.00 2020
Old 01-26-2022, 08:18 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDean View Post
Bob,
The paypal 1099K includes all money coming into your account for sales. You can buy with your funds, let it set, or transfer to your bank if you want. Your 1099K will include every dollar coming into your account no matter how it goes out.
Yes I know and understand that, and never said 100% of a person's sales through Paypal (unless they are F&F transfers which aren't considered as sales) don't count towards their 1099-K reporting. I was merely trying to point out to people that if someone never transferred sales money they got through Paypal back into their bank account, that sales money never shows up on their bank account statement or in their personal bank records, where the IRS can easily go and find it. And that was a main reason why they imposed the lower reporting threshold on Paypal and other third-party payment venues. If you go back and carefully re-read what I wrote, you should be able to get my point.

These are very complicated tax laws and reporting requirements, and despite my often writing novel length posts to try and explain them, I still can't begin to cover all the nuances and exceptions. Just trying to be helpful and give members some advice when it comes to our hobby and taxes. And that's why I most often end such posts suggesting people get in touch with a qualified tax professional for more specific help and guidance, especially one knowledgeable about the state they're in.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:21 PM

Thanks, Bob. Very helpful.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:23 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
The report in my Tax link was actually for 2020 generated yesterday Jan 25, 2022--I assume a updated 1099K report will be coming soon for the year 2021-
If nothing else, try contacting them to see if they can tell you what's up. It is always possible they could even be delayed in reporting and not be able to have them for you till sometime in February, or even later. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:31 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
fyi - They did change some states thresholds recently. These nine states have lower 1099-K threshold limits different from federal requirements. They will produce 1099-K if you conduct business in these nine states.

State Threshold Effective
AR $2500.00 2020
DC $600.00 2020
IL 4 CC Trans + $1,000.00 2020
MA $600.00 2018
MD $600.00 2020
MS $1,000.00 2020
NJ $1,000.00 2020
VT $600.00 2018
VA $600.00 2020
Yup, I usually try to remind people that state laws can (and do) vary from federal laws, and can be all over the place. So you always have to pay particular attention to whatever state(s) you are in when it comes to taxes as well.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:39 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Thanks, Bob. Very helpful.
You're welcome. If you do end up getting some professional tax help, hopefully this thread, and other posts I've made in the past will allow you to save on a half-hour to an hour's worth of billable fees where your accountant/tax preparer doesn't have to try explaining all this stuff to you from scratch. LOL
Old 01-26-2022, 08:51 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

The eBay baseball card buying and selling experience has gradually deteriorated, especially over the past few years. First, purchasing cards became more expensive when states began collecting sales taxes.

Second, the new required managed payment system has decreased sellers. I personally know a few small sellers that refused to give eBay their banking information and no longer sell their cards on it now.

Third, this new 1099 standard will push even more sellers out the door. I know sellers always should’ve reported their profits, but now big brother is really watching. This will scare some sellers off, and create headaches for others.

Fourth, at some point in the future, eBay plans on lowering the authentication amount to just $250.00. This will undoubtedly increase my wait time. The seller will have to ship the raw $250 card to the grader, it will probably sit at the grader’s place for a while, and then the grader will eventually mail it to me when it certifies the card is authentic. How long will this entire process take? Who wants to now wait two months to receive a raw $250 eBay card purchase? No thanks.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:03 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Bob,

Thank you for writing all you do. I am amazed at all of the incessant hand-wringing everyone does over something that has essentially been there all along. I sold on Ebay for many years and never had any problem. You sell, you profit, you pay your taxes. That is not hard to understand. If you are making a concerted effort to try and obey the law you will have no problems. The IRS bogeyman is not hiding in your bushes watching your every move.

There are plenty of opportunities to reduce the liability which seem to be lost in the conversation. What is the basis of the item? Honest, best guess will work. No one is going to pore over 10 year old issues of Baseball Card magazine to find out that you overstated how much you paid for an item by 75¢. There are also packing materials, postage, other supplies (pens), roundtrip mileage to the post office, subscriptions to any site or publication which helps you price your items and ebay fees. Also the expenses of travelling to a show - hotels, admission, food, gas (or mileage), tolls, parking, etc. If you are attending a show to purchase items to eventually sell the expenses to attend the show are part of the deduction equation. These travel expenses can also be incurred by going to flea markets, antique shows, stamp/coin shows, yard sales. Plenty of people have posted new acquisitions on this board that they found at a yard sale and then intend to sell. There were expenses over the money paid for the item that are part of the true cost.

I may be oversimplifying the facts, but I learned from a former work acquaintance who was an attorney/accountant that it is important to pay attention to what you are spending to acquire something you intend to sell for a profit.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-26-2022, 09:57 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Cards View Post
If we now have to pay taxes on gains, can I offset the gains against my losses from collecting in the '80s & '90s? I'm still smarting from my investment in Score and Donruss collector's sets.
Depends! Did you actually file tax returns back in the '80s and '90s reporting capital losses from the sales of all those Score and Donruss sets, and be sure to have had those sets treated and reported as investment assets, and not just as hobby collectibles? Assuming not, the answer would be no. And the statute of limitations to go back now and try to amend those returns passed decades ago. Sorry.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:22 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
It is not really a matter of guilt, just proper reporting for tax purposes. And no, things like garage sales are NOT going to suddenly be stalked by IRS and state tax agents, nor are they going to accept and act on calls from people reporting those having garage sales. Garage sales are what are considered as "casual sales" and are generally not subject to income or sales tax laws. By their nature, they are considered to not be indicative of an ongoing business operation, and therefore don't need to be reported or monitored. In the past, the thresholds for things like 1099-K reporting were considered the point when one went from not operating a business to now operating a business, but there never had been a truly defined point that marked when someone's true intent was to operate as a business, and that has not changed..

Ebay is only the platform for these sales, and the new 1099-K reporting threshold isn't being imposed on Ebay, just those third-party payment services like Paypal, Venmo, or Zelle. Only Ebay sales using payment services like these get included in 1099-K reporting, not sales using checks, MOs, or credit cards. It is all about the government having access to your records if they want/need to go checking you out. It wasn't suddenly saying anyone doing $600 or more in casual sales is now considered to be in a viable, ongoing business.

And the $600 threshold goes hand in hand with the reporting threshold for non-employee, independent contractor, compensation, which has been at $600 for decades. That used to be reported on 1099-MISC forms until recently when they broke out such reporting a few years ago on the new 1099-NEC forms.

Anyway, the new 1099-K reporting is tied into the same reason that 1099-NEC forms do not have to be issued to people/businesses that operate as corporations. If you hire Joe Blow to plow your driveway, and cut him a check in payment, as an individual he can go to his bank and simply endorse and cash the check and walk out with his money. That cashed check never shows up in Joe Blow's bank account records or activities, or on his bank statement. However, if he incorporated his snow plowing business, you'd maybe make the check out to Joe Blow, Inc. In that case, if he takes it to his bank and endorses the check, under banking laws and regulations they can't just give him the money. He actually has to deposit that check into the corporation's bank account first, and can then write a check to himself personally, or otherwise transfer the money to himself. Regardless of what he does, that deposit will now show up in his corporate bank account records and on the corporate bank account statement. The IRS can then come in whenever they want and demand to see the corporate bank account records, and simply see the deposit and question if it was reportable income for tax purposes. And that is why a 1099-MISC or -NEC isn't required to be sent to a corporation, regardless of how much more over $600 someone may have paid a corporation for their services in any given year.

Well, when it comes to Paypal (and I assume similarly for other payment services like Zelle or Venmo), you generally have your account linked to an actual bank account you can draw money out of to then make payments through Paypal. But if someone sends you money through Paypal, it doesn't necessarily get deposited into your bank account. It sits in your Paypal account till you can have it transferred into your bank account, or use it to make Paypal payments to others. And as long as you never formally deposit anything back into your bank account, it also never shows up up on/in your bank account's records or statements, which the IRS can demand to see. It is similar to an individual non-employee getting paid by a check, but just cashing it at their bank instead of depositing it into their bank account, and thereby not create a traceable record of it in their name that the IRS can easily find. So to get after this potentially hidden income/business activity, they've taken to imposing this same $600 reporting threshold on third-party payment activity, like through Paypal.

Unfortunately in doing so, this reporting doesn't indicate whether you are operating an actual business, or just clearing out stuff from a garage or attic. I imagine the IRS' stance for anyone receiving these 1099-K forms after the lowering of the reporting threshold in 2022 will be that recipients are formally in an ongoing business, unless they report and show otherwise on their tax returns. And this distinction can be very important to someone who is not a card dealer, but a collector or investor instead, who maybe only sells thing occasionally to fund other purchases, or maybe to cash in when when a particular card/item suddenly jumps in value out in the marketplace. The reporting differences can be great, and I've already gone over them in more detail in other threads/posts of mine you can go look up. Suffice it to say here that I believe the biggest differences between reporting as a dealer versus reporting as a collector or investor, are whether your net profits from card sales are treated as ordinary or capital gain income, and whether or not those net profits may also be subject to self-employment tax.

Bottom line is, if you get one of these 1099-K forms, do not just ignore it. And if you try doing your taxes yourself after getting one of these 1099-K forms for the first time, and really don't know what you're doing and/or what I'm talking about, do yourself a big favor and at least seek out the advice and help from a qualified tax professional. Even if it ends up costing you some fees, chances are it will save you much more in time, expense, and aggravation over the long run.
I think you may have replied to the wrong person, as I didn't talk about garage sales at all, or most of what you are talking about. I know how PayPal works...

Garage sales and face to face absolutely are affected though - I don't have proof of what I paid (and thus, to calculate my profit form an eBay sale) from a face to face transaction 20 years ago, or often even memory of what it was myself. As I am taxed on PROFIT, it's going to be a total pain in the ass at best to survive auditing, as I can't prove what I paid at a Card Show 15 years ago to then calculate from an eBay sale next month.

As to your last paragraph, If I have to hire a professional to make sure I don't get !@#$% by the state over a few eBay sales that I wasn't cheating about on my taxes in the first place, well.... That's exactly why this is a problem and ridiculous. It is a shift of the burden of the proof, and creates a ton of headaches. After losing 45%+ of my sale price when I can't show what I originally paid, and then hiring a professional, there's even less reason to sell. Its not much more profitable than burning my duplicates in the fireplace.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:44 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
The eBay baseball card buying and selling experience has gradually deteriorated, especially over the past few years. First, purchasing cards became more expensive when states began collecting sales taxes.

Second, the new required managed payment system has decreased sellers. I personally know a few small sellers that refused to give eBay their banking information and no longer sell their cards on it now.

Third, this new 1099 standard will push even more sellers out the door. I know sellers always should’ve reported their profits, but now big brother is really watching. This will scare some sellers off, and create headaches for others.

Fourth, at some point in the future, eBay plans on lowering the authentication amount to just $250.00. This will undoubtedly increase my wait time. The seller will have to ship the raw $250 card to the grader, it will probably sit at the grader’s place for a while, and then the grader will eventually mail it to me when it certifies the card is authentic. How long will this entire process take? Who wants to now wait two months to receive a raw $250 eBay card purchase? No thanks.
Brent, In response to your four points I think - yup, yup, yup and yup!

But don't forget cards are not the biggest and main thing sold on Ebay. This new reporting compliance effects all the Ebay sellers, and all the other sellers on all the other online sales venues and platforms out there as well. And since most people selling online use the third-party payment services like Paypal, Venmo, and Zelle to transact business, these sellers may still be reported for their sales, regardless of where they move to sell. All of which can see a resurgence and return back to shows and flea markets, and more people running cash businesses and using checks, which I'd actually enjoy seeing. (But then watch them start pushing that $600 reporting limit on personal bank account activity again as well.)

And don't think that everyone may start jumping to cryptocurrencies to try to get around these tax reporting rules. I believe enhanced 1099-B reporting requirements for cryptocurrency activity and transactions are already in place and slated to take effect in 2024 or 2025 (forget now).

Maybe we baby boomers aren't so dumb after all in not necessarily fully embracing all the new-fangled technology and other supposed advances in doing everything online. If I pay by cash or check, I don't have to worry as much about a credit card being hacked, or an online payment service being comprised. And if I can go to shows to actually see and examine what I'm thinking of buying, I don't need it in any damn TPG holder to tell me it is real, or what condition it is in. LOL
Old 01-27-2022, 12:06 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
I think you may have replied to the wrong person, as I didn't talk about garage sales at all, or most of what you are talking about. I know how PayPal works...

Garage sales and face to face absolutely are affected though - I don't have proof of what I paid (and thus, to calculate my profit form an eBay sale) from a face to face transaction 20 years ago, or often even memory of what it was myself. As I am taxed on PROFIT, it's going to be a total pain in the ass at best to survive auditing, as I can't prove what I paid at a Card Show 15 years ago to then calculate from an eBay sale next month.

As to your last paragraph, If I have to hire a professional to make sure I don't get !@#$% by the state over a few eBay sales that I wasn't cheating about on my taxes in the first place, well.... That's exactly why this is a problem and ridiculous. It is a shift of the burden of the proof, and creates a ton of headaches. After losing 45%+ of my sale price when I can't show what I originally paid, and then hiring a professional, there's even less reason to sell. Its not much more profitable than burning my duplicates in the fireplace.
My apologies as I wasn't so much responding just to you, but also trying to explain the what's and why's of a lot of these crazy new laws and changes to everyone that may not know much about all this, or have not heard about it already.

And as to saying everyone has to hire a tax professional to do their taxes now, I'm really not suggesting that is what everyone necessarily do. I'm merely saying that depending on one's knowledge and experience, and their own unique and personal tax situation, and this huge change in tax reporting becoming effective now, this is actually a critical point in many people's hobby/collecting activities to finally think about and decide how they want to be treated going forward. Since a lot of people are finally going to be forced to start reporting parts of their "hobby" activities on their tax returns, doesn't it make sense for them to think about if they want to be considered as a dealer, or maybe as an investor, or just a plain hobby collector, or even possibly a mix of all three? And if they're not sure exactly what that all means, or what they want to do, or how they may want to be considered and treated going forward, doesn't it make sense to at least talk to someone that might be able to help them to understand the differences and the pros and cons of choosing one way of being treated over another? And then maybe help to explain/show to them how their choice(s) actually gets put into their tax return. You need or want to hear that from someone with some actual tax experience, not some of the yahoos who occasionally will post on here that will tell you to just do what they say and you'll be fine, and act like they know all the answers because they heard it from so-and-so's cousin, or saw something online last night. So even if you don't want to have to hire a tax preparer, at least maybe ask around to hopefully find someone you can talk to about how to proceed going forward tax-wise. Maybe think of it like this. Someone starting out in a business usually needs to sit down and decide what kind of business do they want to start. Do they go forward as a sole proprietor, or maybe they file to become an LLC. And then again, maybe they decide it is better to incorporate, but then should they elect to file their taxes as an S-Corp, or maybe leave the taxation as a C-Corp. And then, how does that fit in with their regular job(s), other businesses, and investments, and then all the same questions for their spouse if married, and on and on. Beginning to get my drift?

Anyway, sorry again. My response was not solely directed at just your post.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:02 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Bob,

Thank you for writing all you do. I am amazed at all of the incessant hand-wringing everyone does over something that has essentially been there all along. I sold on Ebay for many years and never had any problem. You sell, you profit, you pay your taxes. That is not hard to understand. If you are making a concerted effort to try and obey the law you will have no problems. The IRS bogeyman is not hiding in your bushes watching your every move.

There are plenty of opportunities to reduce the liability which seem to be lost in the conversation. What is the basis of the item? Honest, best guess will work. No one is going to pore over 10 year old issues of Baseball Card magazine to find out that you overstated how much you paid for an item by 75¢. There are also packing materials, postage, other supplies (pens), roundtrip mileage to the post office, subscriptions to any site or publication which helps you price your items and ebay fees. Also the expenses of travelling to a show - hotels, admission, food, gas (or mileage), tolls, parking, etc. If you are attending a show to purchase items to eventually sell the expenses to attend the show are part of the deduction equation. These travel expenses can also be incurred by going to flea markets, antique shows, stamp/coin shows, yard sales. Plenty of people have posted new acquisitions on this board that they found at a yard sale and then intend to sell. There were expenses over the money paid for the item that are part of the true cost.

I may be oversimplifying the facts, but I learned from a former work acquaintance who was an attorney/accountant that it is important to pay attention to what you are spending to acquire something you intend to sell for a profit.
All true. One of my all-time mantras has always been:

Tax evasion is a crime, but tax avoidance is your Constitutional and God given right! Amen.

As for the comments about the importance of expenses, that is also very true. But the exact types and amount of expenses you end up deducting can vary greatly depending on whether or not you file your tax return and report the sale of your cards as a dealer, as an investor, or as just a pure hobby collector. Can actually make a big difference.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:02 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
My apologies as I wasn't so much responding just to you, but also trying to explain the what's and why's of a lot of these crazy new laws and changes to everyone that may not know much about all this, or have not heard about it already.

And as to saying everyone has to hire a tax professional to do their taxes now, I'm really not suggesting that is what everyone necessarily do. I'm merely saying that depending on one's knowledge and experience, and their own unique and personal tax situation, and this huge change in tax reporting becoming effective now, this is actually a critical point in many people's hobby/collecting activities to finally think about and decide how they want to be treated going forward. Since a lot of people are finally going to be forced to start reporting parts of their "hobby" activities on their tax returns, doesn't it make sense for them to think about if they want to be considered as a dealer, or maybe as an investor, or just a plain hobby collector, or even possibly a mix of all three? And if they're not sure exactly what that all means, or what they want to do, or how they may want to be considered and treated going forward, doesn't it make sense to at least talk to someone that might be able to help them to understand the differences and the pros and cons of choosing one way of being treated over another? And then maybe help to explain/show to them how their choice(s) actually gets put into their tax return. You need or want to hear that from someone with some actual tax experience, not some of the yahoos who occasionally will post on here that will tell you to just do what they say and you'll be fine, and act like they know all the answers because they heard it from so-and-so's cousin, or saw something online last night. So even if you don't want to have to hire a tax preparer, at least maybe ask around to hopefully find someone you can talk to about how to proceed going forward tax-wise. Maybe think of it like this. Someone starting out in a business usually needs to sit down and decide what kind of business do they want to start. Do they go forward as a sole proprietor, or maybe they file to become an LLC. And then again, maybe they decide it is better to incorporate, but then should they elect to file their taxes as an S-Corp, or maybe leave the taxation as a C-Corp. And then, how does that fit in with their regular job(s), other businesses, and investments, and then all the same questions for their spouse if married, and on and on. Beginning to get my drift?

Anyway, sorry again. My response was not solely directed at just your post.
I get your drift, but I don't think it makes any reasonable sense for a few hundred dollars in sales of duplicate cards a year. I shouldn't need to treat selling $600-$20,000 of cards in 12 months like I'm starting a business. I shouldn't need to hire a professional to help me consider incorporating and in what way for selling $800 of dupes in 12 months. It makes sense to hire a professional to help make the right decisions if I'm starting a business, I'm making real money. Holding a digital garage sale for tiny amounts of money? No. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to get a professional to give me this advice and bill me over such a tiny sum of money. After Uncle Sam gets his half and the professional gets their cut for their hours, I won't make a penny myself for all that time and risk. At least throwing the $800 in dupes into my fireplace might warm me for 15 minutes.

This is a great advertisement for exactly why these regulations are a giant pain.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:40 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:

Tax evasion is a crime, but tax avoidance is your Constitutional and God given right! Amen.

As for the comments about the importance of expenses, that is also very true. But the exact types and amount of expenses you end up deducting can vary greatly depending on whether or not you file your tax return and report the sale of your cards as a dealer, as an investor, or as just a pure hobby collector. Can actually make a big difference.
Yes, I fully agree, that is why I said I was oversimplifying it. If you can get in the mindset of paying attention to the costs and expenses your are much more prepared when you do have to file. I first experienced the approach working as a freelance legal researcher travelling to multiple courthouses around Mass. When I was selling on ebay I was a full time salaried employee of a large corporation, but I was prepared to note the said costs and expenses and it went very smoothly. My accountant who has done my taxes for 33 years said I was doing it properly. LIke you, I am also old school. Rather than an accounting program I wrote everything down in a notebook and totalled each page as I finished it. My selling paid for a destination wedding and two week honeymoon in Australia among other things.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-27-2022, 02:49 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:

Yes, I fully agree, that is why I said I was oversimplifying it. If you can get in the mindset of paying attention to the costs and expenses your are much more prepared when you do have to file. I first experienced the approach working as a freelance legal researcher travelling to multiple courthouses around Mass. When I was selling on ebay I was a full time salaried employee of a large corporation, but I was prepared to note the said costs and expenses and it went very smoothly. My accountant who has done my taxes for 33 years said I was doing it properly. Like you, I am also old school. Though for me than an accounting program I wrote everything down in a notebook and totaled each page as I finished it. My selling paid for a destination wedding and two week honeymoon in Australia among other things.

Last edited by Michael B; 01-27-2022 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:59 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

My guess is that a lot of sellers have traditionally operated in the 15-30% overall profit margins. If a large chunk of that now goes to Uncle Sam, it’s hard to see how sellers don’t bail in droves.

Last edited by conor912; 01-27-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:14 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

With the IRS in seeming disarray and brutally short-staffed, I wonder how much attention will be paid to capital gains on the sale of baseball cards. I have to believe the IRS with be looking hard at Covid relief funds fraud and where that money went. Who knows.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:24 AM
dA.N CH@SE

I used to sell items like old cell phones and other items I sold at a loss on eBay. Like a garage sale. I am not dealing with eBay anymore with the new rules. Proving I paid $200 for a $50 cell phone sale is impossible and with a 1099-k form the effort of dealing with taxes is not worth my time. Selling a few thousand dollars of items at a loss shouldn't involve me starting a business or calling the IRS and saying everything is itemized on a schedule D.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:34 AM
Ben North

You guys are looking at this all wrong. This is a government program to get more business for those poor underpaid tax professionals. Just wait till you don't pay a tax professional a few thousand for that $125 of profit you made selling $1000 worth of old no longer wanted junk on eBay and get audited.

It is a win win for everyone.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:36 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I get your drift, but I don't think it makes any reasonable sense for a few hundred dollars in sales of duplicate cards a year. I shouldn't need to treat selling $600-$20,000 of cards in 12 months like I'm starting a business. I shouldn't need to hire a professional to help me consider incorporating and in what way for selling $800 of dupes in 12 months. It makes sense to hire a professional to help make the right decisions if I'm starting a business, I'm making real money. Holding a digital garage sale for tiny amounts of money? No. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to get a professional to give me this advice and bill me over such a tiny sum of money. After Uncle Sam gets his half and the professional gets their cut for their hours, I won't make a penny myself for all that time and risk. At least throwing the $800 in dupes into my fireplace might warm me for 15 minutes.

This is a great advertisement for exactly why these regulations are a giant pain.

I laughed like heck at this. My feelings exactly.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:37 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandor View Post
I used to sell items like old cell phones and other items I sold at a loss on eBay. Like a garage sale. I am not dealing with eBay anymore with the new rules. Proving I paid $200 for a $50 cell phone sale is impossible and with a 1099-k form the effort of dealing with taxes is not worth my time. Selling a few thousand dollars of items at a loss shouldn't involve me starting a business or calling the IRS and saying everything is itemized on a schedule D.
Bingo, Whenever one of these post goes up the antennas start wiggling on all the virtue signalers all at once and they start answering from a tiny perspective of card dealer and refusing to to think of the collector that has 35-40+ years of collection and no records because it was joy, not business or investment.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:43 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
All of which can see a resurgence and return back to shows and flea markets, and more people running cash businesses and using checks, which I'd actually enjoy seeing.
Bob,

I think you are correct. I heard there were several dealers at this month's Dallas show that had cash only signs. I think this will become more prevalent going forward.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:05 AM
dA.N CH@SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
You guys are looking at this all wrong. This is a government program to get more business for those poor underpaid tax professionals. Just wait till you don't pay a tax professional a few thousand for that $125 of profit you made selling $1000 worth of old no longer wanted junk on eBay and get audited.

It is a win win for everyone.
No one will get audited for this. The IRS doesn't care about a few thousand dollars. What will happen is people will ignore the 1099-K and the IRS will just send out a bill for what you owe on taxes on the 1099-K without deductions considered. You can then amend your taxes, but that will be an absolute nightmare. This will be an automated process, especially with the insane amount of 1099-K forms from eBay, PayPal, Etsy, etc...

Now the people who should worry are the ones who skirted taxes who fell under the 200 transaction limits! It is just not $20,000 in sales, it is $20,000 AND 200 transactions! You could have sold $750,000 in cards on eBay and not have a 1099-K form. With this information now, the IRS will look at these big individual sellers that receive 1099-K forms in 2023 and could audit them. This could lead to some people facing big legal issues.

I can't wait until 2023! The 1099-K forms will be entertainment to me!
Old 01-27-2022, 09:08 AM
dA.N CH@SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Bingo, Whenever one of these post goes up the antennas start wiggling on all the virtue signalers all at once and they start answering from a tiny perspective of card dealer and refusing to to think of the collector that has 35-40+ years of collection and no records because it was joy, not business or investment.
This really just hurts individual states. Tax is collected on these sales in most states, eBay is taxed for profit, and most people that sell spend that money and pay sales tax again on another item. I get that there are people that skirted the rules, but this is just ridiculous at $600.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:15 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Any electronic payment whether friends and family or goods and services has to be reported as income if it was a sale of a card......has something changed here other than a form. I always report friends and family transactions through PayPal that were card related. Those funds get directly deposit into my checking account. Isn't that an electronic paper trail? Why would I not report this ?? Am I the dummy who shouldn't been reporting this?

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-27-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:26 AM
dA.N CH@SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Any electronic payment whether friends and family or goods and services has to be reported as income if it was a sale of a card......it's never changed. I always report friends and family transactions through paypal that were card related. Those funds get directly deposit the funds into my checking account. Why would I not report this ?? Am the dummy who shouldn't been reporting this?
Of course, this is what you are supposed to do. How did you do this though? Did you file a Schedule D or Schedule C with the IRS? If you did this as a "hobby" you probably did it wrong. There are absolutely no deductions for a hobby, even though people take them. If you bought a card for $500 and sold it for $400, you would need to pay taxes on the $400 even though you sold it at a loss. For people that don't believe me, just wait until 2023 and you get a 1099-K form. Good luck trying make any deductions with the hobby form.

Last edited by Dandor; 01-27-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:30 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandor View Post
Of course, this is what you are supposed to do. How did you do this though? Did you file a Schedule D or Schedule C with the IRS? If you did this as a "hobby" you probably did it wrong. There are absolutely no deductions for a hobby, even though people take them. If you bought a card for $500 and sold it for $400, you would need to pay taxes on the $400 even though you sold it at a loss. For people that don't believe me, just wait until 2023 and you get a 1099-K form. Good luck trying make any deductions with the hobby form.
I hire a tax professional. It's worth my piece of mind to hire one and pay him accordingly.

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-27-2022 at 10:20 AM.