NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-24-2022, 02:07 PM

Default Biggest baseball pickup ever for me!

Hi all,

Please pardon the immense wall of text but I wanted to share my newest addition to my collection and it’s an item that’s been years in the making…

I’ve always had an affinity towards game used gear, after all no other memorabilia puts you closer to the game or your favorite athletes. For me it’s pretty unique. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy cards, tickets, programs etc. but an item that was at a game and used during said game is pretty neat and at times can be historic. As a history major, the history/artifact aspect is something I enjoy as well. For me, the baseball cap is synonymous with the game itself and it’s my favorite part of a uniform. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been asking Major League ball players and teams for a game used cap after a game or the end of a season. It’s fun to see what the possibilities are, who knows, someone might say sure, that’s how I’ve gotten other gear before and the worst a player could say is no. That’s been my track record, whenever I ask, the answer is always no. I’ve always kept a game used MLB cap at the top of my list of “collecting goals” a cornerstone item if you will.

Once I found eBay as a kid, it made that search a whole lot easier but everything was out of my range as a kid without a ton to spend and nothing really grabbed my attention. I grew up with Griffey Jr. but his items have always been through the roof in terms of price and when I found caps of other guys I’ve enjoyed watching through the years, Montero, Mauer and Springer, it was never the right time to buy. However, I kept looking.

Over the last few seasons I’ve become a much more refined and open minded baseball fan. I followed guys from different teams and became more invested in my Astros, there were guys that I used to detest that I found now myself in awe of when I watched them play. One such guy was Zack Greinke. I had loathed him as a Dodger and having lived in AZ and rooted for the Dbacks while living there, I became involved in that divisional distaste first hand. When Greinke pitched for LA, I was subscribed to the belief that he was cocky and rude, so when he came to AZ in 2016 it took me quite a while to warm up to him and when he was traded, this time to my beloved ‘Stros, I still wasn’t sold on him. That changed on September 25, 2019. Zack pitched a gem against Seattle, nearly throwing a no hitter. I loved the performance and was in awe of his pitch selection and mastery of control. As I took a harder look at Zack, I was excited with what I saw. Later that year during the postseason, I learned of his battles with anxiety and depression and further refined my view of Zack and understanding of him as I was reminded never to judge a book by it’s cover. I was now, believe it or not, a fan of #21! Then came 2020.

After silently struggling for a few years with what unbeknownst to me at the time was OCD which triggered anxiety, it was enhanced and mixed with fear and depression during the outbreak of COVID, I couldn’t take it anymore and finally confided to the closest person in my life, telling them what I was going through. Just telling someone made me feel like a weight had been lifted. I was able to get help and learn how to deal with what I was feeling and experiencing and although I still have days where I feel like it’s falling apart, most days are much better than they used to be. I have people around me who were accepting of what was going on inside of me and continue to help me every step of the way. I also remembered hearing about Zack and his struggles during the 2019 ALCS against the Yankees and suddenly he was the most relatable athlete on the diamond. If I had just turned the corner during his performance against the M’s, I was a full on fan now and although being a hero and an inspiration is probably the exact opposite of what Zack is trying to do, that’s exactly what he became to me.

Having read the above, I’m sure you can imagine my excitement as a collector and a fan of Zack’s, when I tracked down a lead on the game used cap worn by Zack on Mother’s Day last season against the Blue Jays on May 9th. The hat was MLB authenticated and came directly from the Houston Astros. This. Was. Huge. I’ve always been a big fan of what the MLB Authentication Program provides for collectors and in my search for a game used hat I added a personal stipulation that I wanted the piece to be authenticated. Plus this wasn’t a random hat, worn on a random day, it was one of the special celebratory hats with the pink logo and ribbon in honor of all the Mom’s out there. This was extra special because my earliest baseball memories go back to my Mom and why I’m an Astros fan. She’s the most important person in my life and is the one person I can always connect with the sport I love. So it was Zack’s game worn hat celebrating Mother’s Day, celebrating my Mom. Needless to say I was over the moon. One last aspect was the fact that Zack was the starting pitcher that day. As is too often with special caps worn by Major League clubs, you rarely have the opportunity to find one from a big name pitcher that was worn by them on the mound rather than in the dugout. With a five man rotation, it make it tough for your guy’s start and a special holiday to intersect, not impossible but tough. Couple that with the fact that caps used for entire seasons are rarely offered, that Zack took the mound while wearing this hat is extraordinary to me! Although he would end up with a no decision, the Astros would go on to win 7-4 with Zack only going 4 innings, giving up 9 hits and 4 runs. He did however, record four strikeouts and numbers 2721-2724 on his career. At the end of the year as we know, the ‘Stros went on to capture yet another AL pennant and have a thrilling postseason run, in part thanks to Zack. Although he struggled in the later half of the year with injuries, he did what he needed to do when his team needed it from him most.

After a couple months of debating and negotiating, I was able to add this piece to my collection. It is an extremely awesome piece and encompasses a lot of what makes baseball special to me.

So here’s my tip of the cap to one of the greatest pitchers of his era! Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Last edited by AstroJake09; 01-24-2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:46 PM
J@RR0D

What a great story! Thanks for sharing all of this. The more people are open about mental illnesses like depression and anxiety, the easier it is for people to relate and help/understand their friends/family members. I appreciate your openness, and that's a great hat from a great player!

Last edited by scmavl; 01-24-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:11 PM
Bob C.

Fantastic story and great pick-up!
Old 01-24-2022, 03:15 PM
John I.

Nice! I'm a Zack Greinke fan too - I admire his longevity and eephus pitches.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:02 PM

Jake,
Awesome story & GREAT pickup. Congrats on adding it to your collection.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:16 PM
Mikeknapp

Congratulations Jake sounds like you found a gem that brings you much joy. That is after all why we all chase these silly things.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 01-24-2022, 10:40 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Great pickup, and thank you for sharing your story.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:01 PM

I appreciate the kind words. I think each day it seems we are making more and more progress in normalizing mental health in our society. Only a few years ago my anxiety and struggles was a part of me that I was afraid to share with even the most trusted people in my life, so I’d say there’s definitely progress. Everyone has a role to play, even if it’s just lending an ear to listen or a shoulder for someone to lean on.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:29 AM
Kevin

Great story! I have found that the most important items in my collection have a story that somehow connects me to either another time, another person, or a back to a feeling/emotion that I felt. This is a great example of that and I really enjoyed reading it. I wish I could hear more stories like this. Thank you so much for sharing, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:49 AM
Brad Jerome

Mauer has been one of my favorites. A few seasons back, I pulled a cap he wore in Spring Training from a Grab Bag at the Twins Authentics booth at Target Field. I was able to get it signed during the next series I was at Target Field. One of my favorite pieces to my collection.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:42 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Fantastic story! Isn't this kind of connection what it's all about?

My only issue is, I want to see the cap!!

Ken
Old 01-31-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjerome View Post
Mauer has been one of my favorites. A few seasons back, I pulled a cap he wore in Spring Training from a Grab Bag at the Twins Authentics booth at Target Field. I was able to get it signed during the next series I was at Target Field. One of my favorite pieces to my collection.
That’s awesome! I love Joe too but mainly because my Great Grandma loves him. She calls him “Wonder Boy.” She loves watching the Twinkies and loved watching Joe when he was still playing.

Last edited by AstroJake09; 02-16-2022 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:16 PM

Quick update:

I saw that Topps had released Series 1 for the 2022 set and took a look at Zack's card, lo and behold the image they chose is from Mother's Day last season and features my hat! It's neat when photo matched or documented gear is shown being worn by said player on a licensed card, especially on one from a mainstream set like Topps and with this being Zack's main card in this years set!

Last edited by AstroJake09; 02-17-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:29 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Jake,
Awesome story & GREAT pickup. Congrats on adding it to your collection.
+1 agree

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-17-2022, 06:37 AM
Scott

Fantastic story. Congrats on your holy grail!
Old 02-17-2022, 07:13 AM
Jimmy

So cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJake09 View Post
Quick update:

I had seen that Topps had released Series 1 for baseball and took a look at Zack's card, lo and behold the image they chose is from Mother's Day last season and features my hat! It's neat when photo matched or documented gear is shown being worn by said player on a licensed card, especially on one from a mainstream set like Topps and with this being Zack's main card in this years set!

Old 02-20-2022, 03:37 PM

I guess you need to bid on this Mother's Day parallel to go with it. This is not my card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31388317424...sAAOSwQ~tiEZSn

Last edited by justrun7; 02-20-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:00 AM
Andrew

Great story!!!
Old 02-22-2022, 03:29 PM
Michael

I haven't really looked at new cards in years, but I see that WAR is now a "back of the baseball card" stat. Do any modern collectors know when WAR first started appearing?
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 02-22-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrun7 View Post
I guess you need to bid on this Mother's Day parallel to go with it. This is not my card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31388317424...sAAOSwQ~tiEZSn
I appreciate you letting me know. I made a run at it but it ended up selling for $59 and was a bit to high for me at this moment. I’ve already picked up the base card for $2, so for now I figure it will do. I assume more Greinke Mother’s Day parallels will pop up in the near future as well and hopefully I can find a better deal.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJake09 View Post
I appreciate you letting me know. I made a run at it but it ended up selling for $59 and was a bit to high for me at this moment. I’ve already picked up the base card for $2, so for now I figure it will do. I assume more Greinke Mother’s Day parallels will pop up in the near future as well and hopefully I can find a better deal.
Yea, a card like that should sell in the $10-$20 range when the new release dust settles. I always look for parallels like this at shows, so if I see one I can grab it for you.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrun7 View Post
Yea, a card like that should sell in the $10-$20 range when the new release dust settles. I always look for parallels like this at shows, so if I see one I can grab it for you.
I appreciate the offer, very kind! I was actually just able to strike a deal on one. This one is numbered 39/50. It’s a great addition to my collection being that it's my first Mother's Day parallel and should display super well with the hat itself!