NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2022, 02:45 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Hah. Actually there are 3, Giannis Antetokounmpo was born and raised in Greece. The point is the diversity is good for the game, it gives fans more to relate to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Agree. It also can lead to an increase in demand (and as a result price) for these players as they may have entire countries or areas of the world now wanting their cards. It wasn't too long ago that it was pretty much only Americans interested so much in basketball cards.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:52 PM
Bob C.

Anyone want to take guess at what a Yao Ming 1/1 rookie card would go for today if he had just entered the NBA in the last couple of years instead of back in 2002?
Old 01-24-2022, 04:30 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Anyone want to take guess at what a Yao Ming 1/1 rookie card would go for today if he had just entered the NBA in the last couple of years instead of back in 2002?
Money on the level of what Zion's cards were being offered for.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-24-2022, 08:03 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

It can be pretty crazy to see stuff like this happening - agreed. However, we all know that certain professional athletes have always been very popular although they're not the best or even close to being the best. For example, the most iconic vintage football card in the hobby is the 1965 Topps Joe Namath rookie. The last PSA 9 sold for quarter of a million and this was all the way back in 2018! Today, it could be worth over a million or even two million! Now, is this guy the greatest QB ever? Nope. Top ten? Nope. Top twenty? Nope! See what I mean?

Let's get back to Doncic. If this guy wins only one championship (like Namath), then this card is going to be a winner. Only 99 examples exist out there and the basketball card market is way bigger than football.

Oh my God! Did I just defend modern cards? What the hell is happening to me?
Old 01-24-2022, 08:17 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Like what?

I just went and had a look at the stats, and he's not really even close.
Jordan led the league in points two of his first three years.
Led in ppg his third year.

And one of those years was nowhere near complete. Injuries? Maybe, I forget.

Doncic hasn't even cleared 3000 points in any of his three years.

Steals, Jordan was around 200/year
Doncic hasn't even reached 100/ year

That's not exactly the sort of dominance that makes a 300K gamble more than a very long shot
Age. I said age. Go look again.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:34 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
It can be pretty crazy to see stuff like this happening - agreed. However, we all know that certain professional athletes have always been very popular although they're not the best or even close to being the best. For example, the most iconic vintage football card in the hobby is the 1965 Topps Joe Namath rookie. The last PSA 9 sold for quarter of a million and this was all the way back in 2018! Today, it could be worth over a million or even two million! Now, is this guy the greatest QB ever? Nope. Top ten? Nope. Top twenty? Nope! See what I mean?

Let's get back to Doncic. If this guy wins only one championship (like Namath), then this card is going to be a winner. Only 99 examples exist out there and the basketball card market is way bigger than football.
Namath's title is possibly the most famous one in the history of American sports (and the most famous upset). It may have single-handedly propelled the NFL to eventually reach the behemoth status it has today in the country. It has the lore of the his swagger and guarantee. Probably the most remembered football game ever played.

Doncic would have to win many rings to even come close to his legacy comparing to that. And in the long run, I think his cards will need those kind of results to keep up with today's values.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Namath's title is possibly the most famous one in the history of American sports (and the most famous upset). It may have single-handedly propelled the NFL to eventually reach the behemoth status it has today in the country. It has the lore of the his swagger and guarantee. Probably the most remembered football game ever played.

Doncic would have to win many rings to even come close to his legacy comparing to that. And in the long run, I think his cards will need those kind of results to keep up with today's values.
As I have posted many times, the Namath card is the perfect storm, it's irrelevant that he may not be in the very first rank of the pantheon of quarterbacks. The Namath RC has little relevance to Luka Doncic.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-24-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:00 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Money on the level of what Zion's cards were being offered for.
I was thinking with Chinese money we could be talking closer to these Doncic rookie type numbers maybe.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:27 AM
Michael C

That is pretty good. Tulips anyone?
Old 01-25-2022, 11:00 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As I have posted many times, the Namath card is the perfect storm, it's irrelevant that he may not be in the very first rank of the pantheon of quarterbacks. The Namath RC has little relevance to Luka Doncic.
It's very relevant, Peter.

Namath was an average (or slightly above average) QB. He had maybe three good seasons as a player and won his only ring against a team whose star QB was injured. And yes, that QB was Johnny Unitas! A healthy Unitas would have picked the Jets apart. And finally, after the AFL/NFL merger, I believe the Jets never made the playoffs again with Namath as their QB. But people still love him and will pay big money for his 65' Topps rookie card.

So, with Doncic, it's the same thing. When his career is over, like Namath, he might not rank in the top ten, or even in the top twenty, and he might only get a ring or two, but as long as he has this enormous fanbase, then I expect this rookie card of his to keep growing in value.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:26 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Demand for cards, particularly today, seems to be based more on star power than actual production. Or maybe 60/40 star power to production. And I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. Guys like Vlad Jr and Soto are very very good players but they also have star power. You don’t want to be the bathroom when they come up. Go to a baseball game anywhere in the country and you see young kids wearing their jerseys. Go to a Yankee game and still see Reggie jerseys. They have pizazz and flair. Not so much for many other very good players.

Babe Ruth of course had both to spare. Hence his exhaulted position in the hobby. My guy Lou was a little lacking in pizazz.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-25-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
It's very relevant, Peter.

Namath was an average (or slightly above average) QB. He had maybe three good seasons as a player and won his only ring against a team whose star QB was injured. And yes, that QB was Johnny Unitas! A healthy Unitas would have picked the Jets apart. And finally, after the AFL/NFL merger, I believe the Jets never made the playoffs again with Namath as their QB. But people still love him and will pay big money for his 65' Topps rookie card.

So, with Doncic, it's the same thing. When his career is over, like Namath, he might not rank in the top ten, or even in the top twenty, and he might only get a ring or two, but as long as he has this enormous fanbase, then I expect this rookie card of his to keep growing in value.
Namath's card has joined a small pantheon of iconic FB cards. The player's rank relative to the rest of the HOF is not really relevant. National Chicle Nagurski, 1955 Topps AA Thorpe, 1958 Topps Brown, 1965 Topps Namath. None other than Brown reflect the GOAT at his position, really, but all are so iconic for collectors that they are at the top of the heap regardless. Unitas was a far better QB than Namath but his RC pales in comparison. Even newbie collectors know these sorts of cards. I had a meeting with a newbie collector/client (Millennial who started during the pandemic) and he absolutely freaked out at holding a 1952 Topps Mantle in hand. Took a photo and sent it to his fellow newbie collector Millennial friends. That doesn't happen with many cards. Is Mantle the GOAT? Nope. Ruth has that sewed up. But the 1952 Topps Mantle is iconic, so it revs up collectors like few other postwar cards can. I could have handed him a much rarer Ruth card and it would not have had the impact.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-25-2022 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:39 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Namath's card has joined a small pantheon of iconic FB cards. The player's rank relative to the rest of the HOF is not really relevant. National Chicle Nagurski, 1955 Topps AA Thorpe, 1958 Topps Brown, 1965 Topps Namath. None other than Brown reflect the GOAT at his position, really, but all are so iconic for collectors that they are at the top of the heap regardless. Unitas was a far better QB than Namath but his RC pales in comparison. Even newbie collectors know these sorts of cards. I had a meeting with a newbie collector/client (Millennial who started during the pandemic) and he absolutely freaked out at holding a 1952 Topps Mantle in hand. Took a photo and sent it to his fellow newbie collector Millennial friends. That doesn't happen with many cards. Is Mantle the GOAT? Nope. Ruth has that sewed up. But the 1952 Topps Mantle is iconic, so it revs up collectors like few other postwar cards can. I could have handed him a much rarer Ruth card and it would not have had the impact.
Ok but you picked 3 football players that might be in the top 10 all time, and then Joe Namath. It is easy to see which one of those is different from the others.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:47 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Demand for cards, particularly today, seems to be based more on star power than actual production. Or maybe 60/40 star power to production. And I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. Guys like Vlad Jr and Soto are very very good players but they also have star power. You don’t want to be the bathroom when they come up. Go to a baseball game anywhere in the country and you see young kids wearing their jerseys. Go to a Yankee game and still see Reggie jerseys. They have pizazz and flair. Not so much for many other very good players.

Babe Ruth of course had both to spare. Hence his exhaulted position in the hobby. My guy Lou was a little lacking in pizazz.
Soto and Guerrero are already among the top handful of players in the game, as is Doncic. And they are all young so they likely will become even better. I don't think think the excitement about them is misplaced.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:25 PM
Patrick

Quote:

Namath was an average (or slightly above average) QB. He had maybe three good seasons as a player and won his only ring against a team whose star QB was injured. And yes, that QB was Johnny Unitas! A healthy Unitas would have picked the Jets apart. And finally, after the AFL/NFL merger, I believe the Jets never made the playoffs again with Namath as their QB.
As a life long Jets fan ill point out that they made the playoffs the very next season in 69. Gotta get credit for every playoff appearance since it doesnt happen often lol

Last edited by Natswin2019; 01-25-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
There are certain players whose popularity is always going to be well above their talent level for a variety of reasons. Mantle is the most obvious one. Namath too, although I think he was better than Samosa characterized him. Roger Maris comes to mind. (all New York so far, hmmmm.) Bill Bradley (hmmmm). I would say Kobe, actually.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:51 PM
Rob

I think Doncic is about the 15th best player in the league.

Here's how he ranks on media sites that list their top current players

CBS #5
NBC #9
ESPN #6
The Ringer #10
SI- my laptop almost crashed trying to see the list

Leonard is out so far this year, so you can bump Doncic down one spot on each list when he returns.

I'm not bashing Doncic, he's a nice player.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Ok but you picked 3 football players that might be in the top 10 all time, and then Joe Namath. It is easy to see which one of those is different from the others.

I don't follow football but I know those cards. That is my point. The Namath is one of the handful of attention-grabbing cards even among casual collectors. Thes players' relative rankings are irrelevant: the hobby values them without regard to relative ranking. The Johnny U 1957 RC is not one of the iconic cards, even though he is way better than Namath.

Or not...
Old 01-25-2022, 02:33 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I think Doncic is about the 15th best player in the league.

Here's how he ranks on media sites that list their top current players

CBS #5
NBC #9
ESPN #6
The Ringer #10
SI- my laptop almost crashed trying to see the list

Leonard is out so far this year, so you can bump Doncic down one spot on each list when he returns.

I'm not bashing Doncic, he's a nice player.
How did he become 15th if the lowest he is on any of the media sites is #10?
Old 01-25-2022, 03:03 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
I don't follow football but I know those cards. That is my point. The Namath is one of the handful of attention-grabbing cards even among casual collectors. Thes players' relative rankings are irrelevant: the hobby values them without regard to relative ranking. The Johnny U 1957 RC is not one of the iconic cards, even though he is way better than Namath.
The players' relative rankings are irrelevant? You don't really mean that. Virtually all "iconic" cards feature an all-time great player. Surely that is more than coincidence.

Obviously there is more to an "iconic" card than the status of the player. The set itself plays a part, and there is often a special story surrounding the player, card or set. Not all great players' cards get to be iconic, but the circumstance where the iconic card is of a player not in the pantheon of all-time sports greats is rare.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The players' relative rankings are irrelevant? You don't really mean that. Virtually all "iconic" cards feature an all-time great player. Surely that is more than coincidence.

Obviously there is more to an "iconic" card than the status of the player. The set itself plays a part, and there is often a special story surrounding the player, card or set. Not all great players' cards get to be iconic, but the circumstance where the iconic card is of a player not in the pantheon of all-time sports greats is rare.
Nagurski did not make the NFL official all time 100 greatest team. Just sayin. Dutch Clark did though.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-25-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
How did he become 15th if the lowest he is on any of the media sites is #10?
Hi, David, I think players like Trae Young and Zach Lavine are better than Doncic, and the people who compiled the media lists had a different opinion from me.

Namath is known outside the hobby. He is a cultural icon known by the person on the street. If Jay Leno still did Jaywalking, would anyone know Luca Doncic? I would guess almost everyone I know in "real life" has never heard of Doncic, but would recognize the names of Namath, Mantle, Mays, and even Maris. Kobe? yes. Doncic? who?
Old 01-25-2022, 05:09 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Hi, David, I think players like Trae Young and Zach Lavine are better than Doncic, and the people who compiled the media lists had a different opinion from me.

Namath is known outside the hobby. He is a cultural icon known by the person on the street. If Jay Leno still did Jaywalking, would anyone know Luca Doncic? I would guess almost everyone I know in "real life" has never heard of Doncic, but would recognize the names of Namath, Mantle, Mays, and even Maris. Kobe? yes. Doncic? who?
So you don't know ANYONE that's a sports fan? Weird.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
So you don't know ANYONE that's a sports fan? Weird.
My family and friends outside the card hobby would know LeBron James and Tom Brady, and maybe Arod, but not Juan Soto and Luca Doncic. They also don't collect baseball cards.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:58 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Age is mostly a non- issue unless it's something like a rookie getting into the league at 30 or something like that.

He has played well, but long term I think there's downside that's being missed.

He didn't get any college experience, which maybe hurts him as a player, maybe not.
On the other hand, it may be the best for him financially. He misses about 20 games a year, so it looks like he may not be the most durable guy. Rushing into the NBA at a young age will make him more, but if he's not really ready physically and becomes perpetually injured his career won't be as long as it could have been.

I doubt the early start will give him 18+ seasons instead of 15. But who knows.

I just don't see a card of him being anything more than a big gamble at 300K
Old 01-26-2022, 10:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

Or not...
Old 01-26-2022, 11:24 PM
MîįhæŖ ßöwŖßĨ

Quote:
Your facts still do not hold water. Jordan won an NCAA championship and Pan Am Games gold medal at the age of 19 AND an Olympic Gold medal at the age of 21. The Olympic medal alone easily overshadows what Doncic has done.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 01-27-2022 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:07 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Luka Doncic isn't just some chump or random top 10 player. You guys keep saying "he's done nothing". That's ridiculous. The guy won the Euroleague MVP at the age of 19! The youngest winner ever. That's no small feat. The Euroleague is legit. It's the 2nd highest level of basketball there is. What he's done already stats-wise at the age of 22 is unprecedented. He already has the most triple doubles of anyone ever by the age of 22 (and he still has more 22 year old games to play). More than Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson, Lebron James, Jason Kidd, and Russell Westbrook. And while he's not the current favorite, it is noteworthy that Vegas betting lines opened the season with Luka as the favorite to win the MVP this season. He's not just good, he's great, and he has the potential to be a future multiple MVP winner. There's a reason his contemporaries praise his game as much as they do. The guy is the most impressive young player in the league by a long shot. And lol at whoever said Trae Young was better. You obviously don't know basketball. Defense matters, and Trae Young isn't just a poor defender, he is the worst ranked defensive player in NBA history going back as far as we have sufficient data to be able to evaluate defensive performance (which is something like the past 30 years). He is literally dead last. The worst defender over that timespan.

Whether his talents justify his market prices though is a different question. I agree that I would rather have a nice 52 Mantle than a similarly priced Luka card, but to compare a national treasures RPA card to a vintage base card is like comparing a signed game used Mickey Mantle jersey to a Mickey Mantle card. They're not even in the same ballpark. If there were the equivalent of an NT RPA Mantle card numbers to 99, I'm pretty sure that thing would FAR exceed any other Mantle card value wise. If you want to compare the flagship Mantle "RC" to the flagship Luka RC, then it's not the RPA, it's the Silver Prizm, and a PSA 10 of that goes for around $3k, not $300k. The National Treasures RPA cards are almost an entirely different form of collectible altogether. It's a high end product that is more akin to collecting memorabilia than it is cards, even though it technically is still a card. It's a limited edition product with a very low print run that caters to a very limited group of high end collectors. It's just a very different market.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:53 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Your facts still do not hold water. Jordan won an NCAA championship and Pan Am Games gold medal at the age of 19 AND an Olympic Gold medal at the age of 21. The Olympic medal alone easily overshadows what Doncic has done.
C'mon. Please read what I actually wrote and respond to that. Here it is again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe
He's done - a lot - more in the NBA than Jordan had at a similar age.
I've even highlighted the key portion for you.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:56 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
He misses about 20 games a year, so it looks like he may not be the most durable guy.
He's never missed 20 games even once. 10 his first year, 14 his second, 6 his third. He's got a chance at missing 20 this year. Unsure how many of the games missed are because of injury and how many were "load management" that so many teams like doing these days.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:16 PM
Patrick N.

Default ....

The sports card market is not always rational, there's your answer
Old 01-27-2022, 01:27 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
The sports card market is not always rational, there's your answer
So very true. An Eddie Yost card just sold for $2500 on ebay. How does that make any sense when you can get a Wade Boggs rookie for $20?

Stop the insanity!

Old 01-27-2022, 02:34 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Nagurski did not make the NFL official all time 100 greatest team. Just sayin. Dutch Clark did though.
Interesting, what happened there?

Nagurski was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a charter member on September 7, 1963.

Sports Illustrated named Nagurski one of the four greatest athletes in Minnesota state history.

In 1999, he was ranked No. 35 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, the highest-ranking foreign-born player.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:39 PM
Al Stein

Quote:

You forgot the Billy Ripken F*** Face. So now you've got Broadway Joe lumped in with the error/scam cards?
Old 01-27-2022, 03:11 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
The guy is the most impressive young player in the league by a long shot.
This is an absurd statement. Ja Morant is a younger and better basketball player than Doncic. Every GM in the league would take Morant over Luka given the choice.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-27-2022, 04:09 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
This is an absurd statement. Ja Morant is a younger and better basketball player than Doncic. Every GM in the league would take Morant over Luka given the choice.
You don't say. Even Monte McNair?
Old 01-27-2022, 05:00 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
You don't say. Even Monte McNair?
I would think so, although their needs are at other positions, as DeAaron Fox is pretty damn good!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-28-2022, 02:44 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
I'm A HUGE Ja Morant fan. Every since murray state. I've been saying all along, "I don't know if Zion will pan out, but I KNOW Morant will be a superstar."

That said, he's still no Luka Doncic. Not even close. There isn't a single GM in the league who would take Morant over Luka. You don't know basketball if you think otherwise. You're a highlight reel watcher. Morant makes highlights. He's more fun to watch. But he's not a better player. Not even close.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:13 AM
Al Stein

NBA GMs are so wishy washy.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:14 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
I'm A HUGE Ja Morant fan. Every since murray state. I've been saying all along, "I don't know if Zion will pan out, but I KNOW Morant will be a superstar."

That said, he's still no Luka Doncic. Not even close. There isn't a single GM in the league who would take Morant over Luka. You don't know basketball if you think otherwise. You're a highlight reel watcher. Morant makes highlights. He's more fun to watch. But he's not a better player. Not even close.
Lol!! You are insufferable, and this comment is so ignorant it's not worth continuing the debate even if you weren't so obnoxious.

That said, just for humor's sake I am going to save this post right next to the one where you claim Hyun Jin Ryu is better than Warren Spahn.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:19 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
...Hyun Jin Ryu is better than Warren Spahn...
I don't know, maybe he has a point. After all, Hyun Jin Ryu has three names compared to Spahn's two...and he did it with fewer letters.

You can't argue with statistics.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 01-28-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:12 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I don't know, maybe he has a point. After all, Hyun Jin Ryu has three names compared to Spahn's two...and he did it with fewer letters.

You can't argue with statistics.
Haha!
Old 01-28-2022, 04:18 PM
James M.

Quote:
Lol!! You are insufferable, and this comment is so ignorant it's not worth continuing the debate even if you weren't so obnoxious.

That said, just for humor's sake I am going to save this post right next to the one where you claim Hyun Jin Ryu is better than Warren Spahn.
That's when I removed myself from the conversation on the best lefty thread.

Getting back to the purpose of the thread, I honestly think the Doncic card is the perfect reflection of the Modern card market. Doncic is very marketable, appeals to a lot of people and ever since his record setting card a little bit ago, people want to keep buying more of him, that are into Modern.

Mantle is iconic, for the post war Hobby. I do think Vintage does tend to sway a bit towards the older crowd however, and even if Mantle's 52 Topps, transcends that, many of the modern collectors crowd probably has the mindset of, "Well it's not shiny, it's not autographed, it's just a regular card." Mantle's cards do operate, off a sort of Nostalgia of the clean cut, All American Boy, from Oklahoma, who could smack a couple of homers and then go out and party with his pals after the game. I think also the majority of Mantle collectors either fall into the categories of A) Grew up watching him or B) Had fathers who grew up watching him.

Doncic is all the rage now. He's Young, very talented, on the world stage of one of the most popular sports, his cards will reflect that. I don't really understand it either, it's not rational, but neither is this card market, or the fact that digital pixels are selling for thousands of dollars, but NFT's are another discussion.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:08 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:

Ryu is better than Warren Spahn. Along with probably almost half the league today. And again, it's not even close. You're free to think otherwise though. I really couldn't care less.

As for Doncic vs Morant, there's a lot more to the game of basketball than slashing and cutting to the rim for poster dunks. The reasons Doncic is better than Morant are the same reasons that Jokic won the MVP last year.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Interesting, what happened there?

Nagurski was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a charter member on September 7, 1963.

Sports Illustrated named Nagurski one of the four greatest athletes in Minnesota state history.

In 1999, he was ranked No. 35 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, the highest-ranking foreign-born player.
Al, I don't know. I think a lot of people were surprised he was left off that honorary team.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:48 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Ryu is better than Warren Spahn. Along with probably almost half the league today. And again, it's not even close. You're free to think otherwise though. I really couldn't care less.

As for Doncic vs Morant, there's a lot more to the game of basketball than slashing and cutting to the rim for poster dunks. The reasons Doncic is better than Morant are the same reasons that Jokic won the MVP last year.
Another nonsensical comment. I can't help but wonder if you are as much of a self-righteous prick in real life as you come across on this board.

Like, if you go to dinner with someone and you disagree about the quality of the food, do you proceed to tell them how they "obviously don't know cuisine"?

Or, at breakfast, do you proselytize to whomever you're with about how your statistical analysis proves that you and you alone have determined the correct milk-to-cereal ratio and if anyone disagrees, "you couldn't care less"?

Readers will notice that you have failed to back up your ridiculous position with your own beloved statistics, and instead have resorted to baseless insults. I wonder why?

Let's compare their career stats per 36 minutes:

FG% Morant +1.6%

3PT% Morant +.1%

FT% Morant +1.8%

Rebounds Doncic +4.1

Assist to Turnover Ratio
Morant 2.19:1
Doncic 1.95:1

Steals Doncic +.4

Blocks Doncic +.1

Pts Doncic +4.9

Consider also their qualities as on and off the court leaders, and it will make sense why Morant would be widely preferred among GMs if an anonymous poll was taken today.

Or, perhaps you could use your Silicon Valley VC contacts to reach out to Zach Kleiman and ask him if he would trade Morant for Doncic. Then let us know the number of expletives that his negative response to you contains.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Maybe I don't know the new BKB metrics, but if Doncic scores 5 more points with 4 more rebounds, it's not entirely obvious to me that Morant is clearly better? Where at least stat wise is this clear edge to Morant?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-28-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:29 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Maybe I don't know the new BKB metrics, but if Doncic scores 5 more points with 4 more rebounds, it's not entirely obvious to me that Morant is clearly better? Where at least stat wise is this clear edge to Morant?
Good point. These stats alone certainly don't prove that. I brought up these stats mainly to counter Snowman's assertion that "Doncic is the best young player in the league and it's not close." Just these stats alone are clearly enough to refute that–Morant is a better pure scorer and pure point guard, while Doncic is a better rebounder and marginally better defender.

Statistically, they are trending in different directions, though: Morant has been better than Doncic this season overall by a fair margin, including more points scored per game.

I actually think it's the non-statistical stuff that makes Morant a better player. Morant makes his teammates better, while Doncic....does not. Watching both of them through their career, it's clear that Morant is a far more mature player (and person) than Doncic despite being younger.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Good point. These stats alone certainly don't prove that. I brought up these stats mainly to counter Snowman's assertion that "Doncic is the best young player in the league and it's not close." Just these stats alone are clearly enough to refute that–Morant is a better pure scorer and pure point guard, while Doncic is a better rebounder and marginally better defender.

Statistically, they are trending in different directions, though: Morant has been better than Doncic this season overall by a fair margin, including more points scored per game.

I actually think it's the non-statistical stuff that makes Morant a better player. Morant makes his teammates better, while Doncic....does not. Watching both of them through their career, it's clear that Morant is a far more mature player (and person) than Doncic despite being younger.
What's your assessment (recognizing that obviously it's speculative this early) of Morant's upside?

Old 01-28-2022, 06:44 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
What's your assessment (recognizing that obviously it's speculative this early) of Morant's upside?
Allen Iverson with multiple championships and a longer career.

Optimists see Doncic's ceiling as a Euro-/Lite version of Magic Johnson, but for me that's a big stretch. He's a tall, thick point guard, but the comparison doesn't go beyond that for me.