NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2022, 07:17 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default OT: 3.5 Million Dollar Scam - Pokemon Cards Certified by BBCE

Check out this video. Guy bought a case of Pokemon cards for 3.5 million which was certified by BBCE.

Turns out to be a scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8lmQ5Ls6bw

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 01-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Eugene
Eug,ene St.ump

This would make me worried if I had high dollar unopened boxes that are BBCE wrapped. If he can’t authenticate it, then who can?
Old 01-13-2022, 08:00 PM
Albert Bee

Default pokee

maybe...but cant help that it looks a little staged ??
Old 01-13-2022, 08:06 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
There's no way BBCE Steve would have agreed to play a role if the whole thing was really staged. Steve is a 110% straight up guy!
Old 01-13-2022, 08:09 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

BBCE has been involved in a number of scandals over the years, people just chose to turn a blind eye and not talk about it. As long as it's shrink wrapped with a BBCE label, what does it matter what's inside, right? Kinda like PSA and all the altered cards they slabbed that were brought to light a couple of years ago. It's not what's on the inside that counts; it's the authenticator's seal that gives it its value.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:10 PM
Eric Perry

I get the feeling this will send ripples throughout the hobby. Either BBCE made a multi-million dollar mistake or someone is trying to make it look like they were the victim of multi-million dollar fraud.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-13-2022, 08:10 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25801wv View Post
This would make me worried if I had high dollar unopened boxes that are BBCE wrapped. If he can’t authenticate it, then who can?

I think unopened boxes are fine. People should worry about those UD Esq unopened cases (3 hobby boxes) that might pull LeBron RPA and sold for $1M. Those cases suddenly swim out from no where one by one and we have seen 3 so far on Goldin. The next one in line would be the 86 Fleer case that sold last yr but it has solid evidence of where it came from, so not much of an issue.

Last edited by chriskim; 01-13-2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:24 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post

Definitely not staged. I’ve been following this one for a while and after Logan bought it a lot of ppl on the internet started questioning what they were seeing on the boxes. Steve had no experience with Pokémon he should not have authenticated this box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2022, 08:49 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I get the feeling this will send ripples throughout the hobby. Either BBCE made a multi-million dollar mistake or someone is trying to make it look like they were the victim of multi-million dollar fraud.
Given all that's occurred and been forgotten about over the years, I'm quite certain nothing will ever send ripples throughout the hobby. It's apparently bulletproof.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Two threads going at once on this.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:44 PM
J@E R1T0

Unopened material has always been a crap shoot. I believe the best way to invest in any sports card is to 1) research the characteristics of the original card, and 2) buy commons from the same set, if possible, and examine them closely. This later step, buying commons, is immensely helpful. I’d personally never buy unopened material.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:20 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

GI Joe's are cooler than Pokémon anyways.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:41 PM

Pokemon Pandemonium. Nah, for a blogger site. Probably already taken and I have never gotten into that.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:26 PM
Chase

Don't know a lot about the back story but Jake and Logan Paul are well known for publicity stunts for the sake of their adoring viewers who pay them millions a year for their social media content. That video seemed staged, overacted and highly produced. It is typical of the Paul brothers to do what seems like outlandish stuff for page views.

Prior to his "paying" 3.5 million for the case it sold months before for 75K...on ebay. It was said it only went for around 75K because those who collect Pokemon knew the case was not good. I highly doubt that Steve Hart was in on this video. It does appear that he simply relied on his knowledge of methods of sealing and what to look for as opposed to irregularities on the case which the Pokemon community was aware of.

Here is the background info on it...https://www.pokebeach.com/2021/12/lo...icant-evidence
Old 01-14-2022, 01:17 AM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Definitely not staged. I’ve been following this one for a while and after Logan bought it a lot of ppl on the internet started questioning what they were seeing on the boxes. Steve had no experience with Pokémon he should not have authenticated this box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have to agree. Logan is not a fourth dimensional chess player. Frankly, he trusted an authenticator many of us on Net54 also trust. But it's not that simple.

LP got ripped off because he didn't do his homework and also trusted some chump middlemen who had him marked. The chain of custody on the fugazi item is surprisingly clear and the original auction was for suckers only. So many red flags. That video is likely earning him $15K+ per day this week as long as it stays a top trending. So there's no way LP or his lawyers would let him risk owing Steve Hart millions in a lawsuit over it, negating any revenue from the content.

Steve really looks bad here and if he was branching out, it's clear he spread himself too thin. The only good news is that it was not a Topps/Fleer/etc vintage product. Hardly anyone on this site gives a crap about Pokemon product but people here have invested (or are invested) in Steve's reputation with sports cards.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:02 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

To the people making some inferences that this ordeal is a dramatic ruse, READ MORE THREADS. This has been going on for 2 years. I've been following it from the beginning, because the original flipper, meelypops has a store in Gainesville FL and I've seen him post about the original purchase in early 2020.

Steve tried to authenticate out of his knowledge base, was challenged by real experts in that specific field, and was exposed for certifying a fake. It's that easy. Don't build up straw men to try to explain it away. It happened.

You think this meelypops guy would make long videos about how he first purchased the case in Canada and then took it straight to BBCE for their blessing if he knew it was fraudulent? Because people normally play a long con where they incriminate themselves with million hit videos? Nope. He thought it was a true purchase of an undiscovered gem, and was burned along with Steve.
Will be interesting to see if anything happens with the original Canadian seller, who has a history of faking these types of items. Would require the Canadian authorities to intervene.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1500649

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1500869

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...m-pokeman-case

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...n-case-updates
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-14-2022 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:55 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Update he got his money back see below link

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainme...20114.amp.html

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-14-2022, 06:50 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Steve tried to authenticate out of his knowledge base, was challenged by real experts in that specific field, and was exposed for certifying a fake. It's that easy.[/URL]
This was my first thought as well but, after watching the video again, it's actually not that easy. Please listen to what I have to say objectively. If you will, you’ll realize it’s a lot more than that. I have used bold font for Steve’s exact words.

Steve says this is “What I looked for” as he begins to give his reasons for authenticating the case. ”This tape is aged onto this case. This label too. The same embedded lines of the cardboard from age are in that label.”

Someone starts to ask a question, “There’s no evidence of tampering…" (is interrupted by Steve) “One edge would look different” (finishes the question) "...in any way shape or form?”

Steve says, “I did my diligence just like I do for a sports case.” This is the part that I have a problem with. Yes, we can agree that the product was out of his knowledge base. But the way he examined the product was the same way he’s going to examine any unopened case (the product inside is irrelevant). He said the tape was aged onto the case. Well, obviously it wasn’t because it had been re-taped. So if he doesn’t know how to tell if tape is actually aged onto a case or not, how many cases has he authenticated that were tampered with? How many wax boxes has he authenticated that were supposedly FASC (from a sealed case)? It doesn’t matter if he’s authenticating a case of 1985 Topps or 2000 (or whatever the year is) Pokemon, the methods for authentication are still the same - he admits that.

Y'all can defend him if it makes you feel better about the situation, but he blew it and it didn’t have anything to do with the product he was examining. It had everything to do with his examination methods.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 01-14-2022 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:00 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

All I can say after watching that is that Hart and his colleague need to seriously consider salads.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-14-2022, 07:04 AM
Tom

Anybody who has BBCE stuff is just hosed but honestly you should know better. It looks like the label has wear and the tape is perfect ...lol

This is like pawn stars ....I am sorry the sheep followed and walked into a black hole.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:21 AM
Johnny MaZilli

This will blow over like every other hobby scandal this industry has faced, it’s no big deal in the grand scheme of things. His brand will only gain more acceptance and sell stronger and stronger. Everyone’s cards and unopened boxes will only go up in-value. Any short term decline which there won’t be any will be a massive buying opportunity!

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-14-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:52 AM
pete ullman

I also feel sad for the Pokémon community!
Old 01-14-2022, 08:33 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Am I the only one impatiently waiting for Logan and Jake's 15 minutes to be up?

I blame the Kardashians for starting all of this stupid sh*t. No wonder China owns half of America.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:43 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
Am I the only one impatiently waiting for Logan and Jake's 15 minutes to be up?

I blame the Kardashians for starting all of this stupid sh*t. No wonder China owns half of America.
its gonna be a while sadly...apparently hes the future of ufc.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:07 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
its gonna be a while sadly...apparently hes the future of ufc.
Jake is actually a decent fighter. Speaking of Jake and Paul, this was just posted on Yahoo...
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...164818939.html
Old 01-14-2022, 02:06 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Steve says, “I did my diligence just like I do for a sports case.” This is the part that I have a problem with. Yes, we can agree that the product was out of his knowledge base. But the way he examined the product was the same way he’s going to examine any unopened case (the product inside is irrelevant).
The reason I wrote what I did is that the product label was inconsistent with other actual 1st edition cases. I expect Steve has a database of examples of many or all the various Topps/Fleer/etc boxes and cases that his company chooses to authenticate. And just like an autograph authenticator, would verify that the product number/code/printing style/font are consistent with known examples.

There is not another known 1st Edition '99 base set case (opened or unopened), as far as what has been revealed, that used the '1E' at the end of the product code, and the '1E' was not embedded in the bar code. Also, it seems some of the spacing of the words were different than real examples. If Steve was going to authenticate the "only known" unopened case valued at $3 million at the time, these are things he should have been doing.
I have said on the other board that he should have passed on authenticating the box, because he didn't know what the box was supposed to look like.

Similarly, there are many cards that PSA should refuse to authenticate that they still choose to, despite not having the background information needed to confirm are unaltered compared to how they were packed out. Many chrome autographed cards have been wiped off due to streaking/fading and either the player has signed them again or a forger has signed them. VERY FEW of any chrome cards that PSA grades need to be authenticated that they were factory original autographs. Same with embedded patches / patch swapping. PSA/BGS etc only confirm the card itself is real, not that the piece of material in the card is the one that was embedded with. Because the 3rd party graders are incompetent or unwilling to consider those as being faked, it calls into question all of their authenticated auto and patch cards.

Here's one that's currently being challenged at Goldin:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1502551 Card was graded about 5 years ago based on cert number.

Here's a good thread on patch swapping:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...light=swapping There's a nearly 200 page thread on LeBron cards in the same baskeball forum.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:15 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
The reason I wrote what I did is that the product label was inconsistent with other actual 1st edition cases. I expect Steve has a database of examples of many or all the various Topps/Fleer/etc boxes and cases that his company chooses to authenticate. And just like an autograph authenticator, would verify that the product number/code/printing style/font are consistent with known examples.

There is not another known 1st Edition '99 base set case (opened or unopened), as far as what has been revealed, that used the '1E' at the end of the product code, and the '1E' was not embedded in the bar code. Also, it seems some of the spacing of the words were different than real examples. If Steve was going to authenticate the "only known" unopened case valued at $3 million at the time, these are things he should have been doing.
I have said on the other board that he should have passed on authenticating the box, because he didn't know what the box was supposed to look like.

Similarly, there are many cards that PSA should refuse to authenticate that they still choose to, despite not having the background information needed to confirm are unaltered compared to how they were packed out. Many chrome autographed cards have been wiped off due to streaking/fading and either the player has signed them again or a forger has signed them. VERY FEW of any chrome cards that PSA grades need to be authenticated that they were factory original autographs. Same with embedded patches / patch swapping. PSA/BGS etc only confirm the card itself is real, not that the piece of material in the card is the one that was embedded with. Because the 3rd party graders are incompetent or unwilling to consider those as being faked, it calls into question all of their authenticated auto and patch cards.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1502551 Card was graded about 5 years ago based on cert number.

Here's a good thread on patch swapping:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...light=swapping There's a nearly 200 page thread on LeBron cards in the same baskeball forum.
I get what you're saying about not being able to visually compare the case to other known cases. But the product is really irrelevant to the topic. By his own words, he said that he used the same method of authentication that he would use for any sports case. The tape was obviously not aged onto the case as he said it was. The fact that he couldn't tell the difference is very alarming, is it not?
Old 01-14-2022, 02:23 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The fact that he couldn't tell the difference is very alarming, is it not?
Completely agree. Different flavors of incompetence in this example.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

What turned out to be in the other boxes? Or are those being returned "intact" and someday this happens again with unopened boxes?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-14-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:12 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What turned out to be in the other boxes? Or are those being returned "intact" and someday this happens again with unopened boxes?
They're all junk.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:22 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I also feel sad for the Pokémon community!
That Pokemon community must be huge if someone is going to pay that much for a case of those cards. What would happen if someone found a case of un-opened cigarette packs with tax stamps that indicate they all have baseball cards in them? I wonder how much that case would sell.

I guess I'm not a part of the Pokemon community because for the life of me I could not see putting out $3.5M for a case of those cards. I need to open my eyes and see what the heck else is happening in the collectibles world.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:31 PM
Howard Chasser

Default +1,000,000

Quote:
Completely agree. Different flavors of incompetence in this example.
Just spent about 2 hours down this rabbit hole including watching the video.

I'd call it greedy (though he admitted in 2020 he knew next to nothing about Pokemon, why turn it down when it can be a nice payday) and lazy/incompetent - What you highlighted "That he used the same procedure as with sports product" is F'n crazy!!! He looks at the way the tape is stuck to the box and the fact that there are striations in the label that match up with the striations in the cardboard it is stuck to, but doesn't check any of the fonts, the fact that a legit label is thermal printed (the fake one is not), etc !!!!??? As far as his "expertise" with packs etc. My $$ will stay in my pocket - fruit of the poisoned tree.
Apparently in the wake of this Steve has refused to authenticate any more pokemon products (Apparently in the Pokemon community there are known resealed pokemon packs in PSA slabs that Steve authenticated as well.
Allegedly in a conversation with someone in the Pokemon community (in 2020 I think) Steve stated he didn't think there was a way to tamper with foil packs!?

Just another example of all these "experts" we have laughing all the way to the bank, many times doing grossly insufficient due diligence, on a good day rendering opinions that are inconsistent and on a bad day that are entirely incompetent.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:04 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Just another example of all these "experts" we have laughing all the way to the bank, many times doing grossly insufficient due diligence, on a good day rendering opinions that are inconsistent and on a bad day that are entirely incompetent.
Absolutely. The hobby is now overly relying on third party assurances. Prices are reflecting that and the volume of errors and the millions of dollars in bad autos, game used, cards, etc is staggering.

IMO, had Logan Paul decided to not do the opening party on this case (again I feel it was for publicity purposes purely) I would guess it would have sold later for more assuming that Pokemon remained relevant.

The value in all of our authenticated items, legit or not accurately graded or not, is leaving them in their authenticated state. As long as the authentication company is still a going concern, the item will trade for more the next time...assuming the market is there for the collectible.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:12 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
just spent about 2 hours down this rabbit hole including watching the video.

I'd call it greedy (though he admitted in 2020 he knew next to nothing about pokemon, why turn it down when it can be a nice payday) and lazy/incompetent - what you highlighted "that he used the same procedure as with sports product" is f'n crazy!!! He looks at the way the tape is stuck to the box and the fact that there are striations in the label that match up with the striations in the cardboard it is stuck to, but doesn't check any of the fonts, the fact that a legit label is thermal printed (the fake one is not), etc !!!!??? As far as his "expertise" with packs etc. My $$ will stay in my pocket - fruit of the poisoned tree.
Apparently in the wake of this steve has refused to authenticate any more pokemon products (apparently in the pokemon community there are known resealed pokemon packs in psa slabs that steve authenticated as well.
Allegedly in a conversation with someone in the pokemon community (in 2020 i think) steve stated he didn't think there was a way to tamper with foil packs!?

amen brother!

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Old 01-15-2022, 03:24 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I've watched multiple videos of wax that was certified and the cards were either packed with the wrong cards or there was so much moisture damage that none of the cards were good but the box sold as much as a box that could have had no moisture damage. Old wax and certain years in the 1990's-2000's that the cards stuck together, I would never take the chance.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 01-15-2022, 05:45 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

People that try and compare this BBCE blunder to a TPG like PSA's mistakes are missing the point. BBCE didn't grade an altered, but authentic, item. This was a fully fabricated box. This would be similar to PSA grading a fake Wagner, not just a trimmed authentic one.

BBCE is supposed to authenticate these items. They had this in hand and couldn't detect the fact it was fake, even though others, only seeing pictures of it, could tell it was fake.

The box wasn't right, the label wasn't the right size, the label barcode didn't match the number, the box tape didn't match the tape on other cases from the same company. Nothing was right and the "expert" still authenticated it.

å̵̧͇̭͉͙̜͠n̴̨̻̬͙̯̗̋̎́̒̾͛̈́̾̕d̸̳̱̗̖̖̟͆͐̂́y̵̆͗̓̋̿̋̉͗̈ ̩́ ̷̢̧̗̳̫̭̼̒̒͗̇͐̉͒͠͝n̴̨̬̣͋̌͌̀̌̄e̵̘̞̙̯̯̰͋́̀̋͘͜u̵͌̾̉̇͐͂ ͙̜͙̤̗͍̤̥̽̈́b̶̡̛͕̋̃͒̒͛̐e̷̥̠̟̓͂͋̐r̴̗̜̲͇̘̙̾̾t̴̛͗͋͌ ̹͙̠̎

Last edited by bn2cardz; 01-20-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:57 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
People that try and compare this BBCE blunder to a TPG like PSA's mistakes are missing the point. BBCE didn't grade an altered, but authentic, item. This was a fully fabricated box. This would be similar to PSA grading a fake Wagner, not just a trimmed authentic one.

BBCE is supposed to authenticate these items. They had this in hand and couldn't detect the fact it was fake, even though others, only seeing pictures of it, could tell it was fake.

The box wasn't right, the label wasn't the right size, the label barcode didn't match the number, the box tape didn't match the tape on other cases from the same company. Nothing was right and the "expert" still authenticated it.
+1

Spot on!

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 01-15-2022, 07:16 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
...Many chrome autographed cards have been wiped off due to streaking/fading and either the player has signed them again or a forger has signed them...

So now the hobby is up in arms about a baseball card being resigned by a player? If I'm following this correctly, the theory is that they postulate (without providing any evidence mind you) that a card was originally signed by Pujols in 2001, but that the auto must have been either streaky or faded, so they wiped it off and had him sign it again.

Really? This is what we're down to crying about now? A card that is actually signed by Pujols is somehow fraudulent if it was signed twice? Really? LOL. These guys are hilarious.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:50 PM

It’s also perhaps the most valuable box of any kind they’ve come across. This isn’t simply an “oh shucks, everyone makes mistakes” type deal.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:00 PM
Steven Finley

It blows my mind that the every single corner of the collecting world is discussing this fake $3.5 million case and 95% of the chain of custody is only referred to by their XBox Live Gamertag....
Old 01-15-2022, 08:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
It blows my mind that the every single corner of the collecting world is discussing this fake $3.5 million case and 95% of the chain of custody is only referred to by their XBox Live Gamertag....
Real names are so archaic.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:06 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
people that try and compare this bbce blunder to a tpg like psa's mistakes are missing the point. Bbce didn't grade an altered, but authentic, item. This was a fully fabricated box. This would be similar to psa grading a fake wagner, not just a trimmed authentic one.

Bbce is supposed to authenticate these items. They had this in hand and couldn't detect the fact it was fake, even though others, only seeing pictures of it, could tell it was fake.

+ 26

Old 01-15-2022, 08:12 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

From the first day I got in the hobby I figured that the whole unopened pack, unopened case corner of the hobby was somewhere on the spectrum between shady as hell and a complete flaming crock of shit. Not in a million years do I believe someone can eyeball a pack or a case and conclusively determine anything. Wake up folks. Airlines have a hard time weeding out counterfeit plane parts. And you think it's hard for someone to surgically open a pack of cards and reseal it in a convincing way? C'mon. Same for cases. With the money that's at stake in breaking certain packs I am sure there are groups of people focusing on this fraud. Sophisticated people with the equipment to do it seamlessly.

Get to someone who works at one of the companies. Pay them $5,000 for a large sheet of pristine wrapping used for cases. Maybe a handful of stickers. Problem solved.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-15-2022 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
So now the hobby is up in arms about a baseball card being resigned by a player? If I'm following this correctly, the theory is that they postulate (without providing any evidence mind you) that a card was originally signed by Pujols in 2001, but that the auto must have been either streaky or faded, so they wiped it off and had him sign it again.

Really? This is what we're down to crying about now? A card that is actually signed by Pujols is somehow fraudulent if it was signed twice? Really? LOL. These guys are hilarious.
If the card is not as it was released by the factory, but is being represented as such, why is it so hard to see that is fraudulent? I think the hobby clearly differentiates between factory released autos and cards people get signed. Put another way, WHY did someone wipe it (if they did), get it resigned, and try to pass it off as an original factory card? To make more money by the deception is why.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-15-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:25 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
If the card is not as it was released by the factory, but is being represented as such, why is it so hard to see that is fraudulent? I think the hobby clearly differentiates between factory released autos and cards people get signed. Put another way, WHY did someone wipe it (if they did), get it resigned, and try to pass it off as an original factory card? To make more money by the deception is why.
Apparently Anything and Everything is acceptable in this industry, it’s ok do what you want.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Apparently Anything and Everything is acceptable in this industry, it’s ok do what you want.
If I buy an expensive Pujols RC that I think was a factory release and PSA says it's a factory release, I'm not going to be at all happy if I find out he signed it 10 years later and the original autograph was removed. Am I out of touch?

Old 01-15-2022, 08:36 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
If I buy an expensive Pujols RC that I think was a factory release and PSA says it's a factory release, I'm not going to be at all happy if I find out he signed it 10 years later and the original autograph was removed. Am I out of touch?
Snowman would say you are out of touch. Why complain it’s in PSA slab you should be happy with what it’s worth. You’re a dinosaur.
I don’t like it but the masses prob don’t care, know, and or want to know they only care it it’s slabbed.
No line can’t be crossed to get a card in a holder. It’s a shame I feel your pain.

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-15-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:01 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Snowman would say you are out of touch. Why complain it’s in PSA slab you should be happy with what it’s worth. You’re a dinosaur.
I don’t like it but the masses prob don’t care, know, and or want to know they only care it it’s slabbed.
No line can’t be crossed to get a card in a holder. It’s a shame I feel your pain.
From my viewpoint, it's not about whether or not it's "slabbed" that makes it ok, but the fact that PUJOLS SIGNED IT that makes it ok. If someone wiped the previous auto and forged it, then sure, by all means, that's worth complaining about. But a Pujols RC auto card, signed by Pujols (regardless of when) is just not something I think is worth wasting one's energy on (and I'd wager good money that the vast majority of the hobby agrees).
Old 01-15-2022, 10:14 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
No, you’re not out of touch. You’re a collector, one with higher standards.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 01-16-2022, 12:50 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
No, you’re not out of touch. You’re a collector, one with higher standards.
I love all these subtle passive-aggressive jabs you guys take around here. It's like you guys have a secret virtue-signaling competition or something.

"My morals are just higher than yours if you think soaking a card in water to remove the scrapbook paper from the back is acceptable" or "Clearly, you have character flaws if you think a card SIGNED BY ALBERT F***ING PUJOLS and authenticated as such does not constitute fraud, even if he signed it twice."

What difference does it make, even if he signed it 47 times until he had a signature that he was happy with? It's still an Albert Pujols signed RC.

I swear, you guys will bi**h about anything and everything.