NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2021, 03:48 PM

Default S74-2 silks info needed

I know that there are several different color variations of these. Could somebody tell me what they are?

Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2021, 04:19 PM
Todd Schultz

Default See if this helps

http://www.s74silk.com/coloredsilks/
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:41 AM
Bob C.

The site Todd referred you to is a great reference source for S74 silks. The truth is there is an unlimited number of different color variations that appear to exist in the S74-2 colored version silks. That site tries to break it down into just a few different main color groups, but if you start looking at all the different say "blue" silks out there, you'll quickly find there are numerous different blue shades and tints. Way too many to count or try to keep track of. And that is likely due to there not really having been a concern by the tobacco company for always having perfectly matching material colors for the silks. They just wanted to have them in different colors so ladies back then would use them in making more colorful pillows and other items. The S74-1 white silks were all the same sort of drab, off-white color, which would look pretty bland when used in something like a pillow. They likely switched to the S74-2 colored silks to jazz things up and possibly make them more desirable for ladies' sewing projects back then.

Every material lot/batch of say blue silks was probably a little different color from the preceding batch, even if they were all supposed to be blue. And then add to that the additional variations that could occur to the material colors from fading and other factors after 110 years, and you'll see why it seems there are an unlimited number of colors/shades within some of the color groups, like with the blue or gold/yellow color groups.

Out of curiosity, why the question about how many different S74-2 silk colors there are?. Are you just curious if there is a known, finite number of colors out there, or are you thinking of doing something like a color run for a particular player or team, or maybe put together a kind of S74-2 type set with one silk of every possible known color? Never thought about it before, but could see that it would likely make for a cool dislay to get as many different colored S74-2 silks as you could find, and then line them all up in like a rainbow type pattern. That could actually make for a cool display now that I think about it. Could frame it all up, sort of like a panoramic picture.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the great, detailed response. I'm actually a Hal Chase collector and I was trying to get a handle on how many different variations there were for this issue so that I could update my checklist. I know I have about 3 different colors, presently, plus a white silk with the paper backing (I know the colors don't have backings) as well as a white silk with red colored ink. The problem arises when I see one listed online, but it's hard to make out the color shade from the sellers picture. So I was just curious if there were specific, known color variants. Thanks again for the info!

Mike

Old 12-08-2021, 09:14 AM
Todd Schultz

The differences can be subtle, as Bob said, and really tough to tell if you do not have them in hand at the same time. These two were taken by the same scanner, although at different times. I no longer own the first, but you can see that the second is more goldenrod while the first is closer to yellow-gold.
The so-called blues, bronzes and purples are even more subjective.

And I'm not sure what color this is-- based on the website I linked, maybe it's off-white (Georgia) peach
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 12-08-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:00 PM
Bob C.

Default Ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by realbigfatdog View Post
Thanks for the great, detailed response. I'm actually a Hal Chase collector and I was trying to get a handle on how many different variations there were for this issue so that I could update my checklist. I know I have about 3 different colors, presently, plus a white silk with the paper backing (I know the colors don't have backings) as well as a white silk with red colored ink. The problem arises when I see one listed online, but it's hard to make out the color shade from the sellers picture. So I was just curious if there were specific, known color variants. Thanks again for the info!

Mike

Here's a thought, rather than trying to get one Hal Chase of every possible silk color, remember that the S74-2 colored silks were issued for only two different tobacco brands (Old Mill and Turkey Red), and all the silks were printed using only 3 different colors of ink (blue, brown, and what I call red/rust color). Why not try to find 3 different Old Mill colored silks of Chase, one printed in blue ink, one in brown, and the third in the red/rust ink color. And then do the same thing for three Turkey Red colored silks of chase. To jazz it up, you could try to get each of the six different Chase silks in a different material color then as well. Maybe one blue, one red, one pink, one purple, etc. This could be a little harder than you may think to get all the 3 different ink colors for both of the tobacco brands, but it at least limits you to only needing 6 silks to finish. I'd try to at least originally focus on the different ink colors and tobacco brands, and not worry too much about getting all different silk material colors. Something tells me you'll find some pretty easily, but then you may get stuck on a couple of the ink/tobacco brand combos. Whichever way you decide, it should make for a fun project. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by BobC; 05-14-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Here's a thought, rather than trying to get one Hal Chase of every possible silk color, remember that the S74-2 colored silks were issued for only two different ytobacco brands (Old Mill and Turkey Red), and all the silks were printed using only 3 different colors of ink (blue, brown, and what I call red/rust color). Why not try to find 3 different Old Mill colored silks of Chase, one printed in blue ink, one in brown, and the third in the red/rust ink color. And then do the same thing for three Turkey Red colored silks of chase. To jazz it up, you could try to get each of the six different Chase silks in a different material color then as well. Maybe one blue, one red, one pink, one purple, etc. This could be a little harder than you may think to get all the 3 different ink colors for both of the tobacco brands, but it at least limits you to only needing 6 silks to finish. I'd try to at least originally focus on the different ink colors and tobacco brands, and not worry too much about getting all different silk material colors. Something tells me you'll find some pretty easily, but then you may get stuck on a couple of the ink/tobacco brand combos. Whichever way you decide, it should make for a fun project. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Just wanted to post an update. I was able to land these two last night (after paying out the ass for them, ugh). Really happy to add them to my collection. My new question is this: does the S74-1 Chase come with a Red Sun or Helmar backing? There are none in the pop reports that I have found (I can't even figure out if PSA even grades these). Do any of you super advanced collectors have either of these in your collections? Or perhaps a blue ink version? I've never seen that one, either. Thanks for all of the great knowlege and help.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:19 PM
Chris Counts

These two pieces might help you identify some colors ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silks.jpg (74.7 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg silks 2.jpg (75.6 KB, 391 views)
Old 01-25-2022, 12:44 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Just wanted to post an update. I was able to land these two last night (after paying out the ass for them, ugh). Really happy to add them to my collection. My new question is this: does the S74-1 Chase come with a Red Sun or Helmar backing? There are none in the pop reports that I have found (I can't even figure out if PSA even grades these). Do any of you super advanced collectors have either of these in your collections? Or perhaps a blue ink version? I've never seen that one, either. Thanks for all of the great knowlege and help.

LOL

First off, great pick-ups. I was watching that lot in REA's auction that ended Sunday night, and was very surprised it went for what it did. The S74-1 Chase silk was the only one of the four white silks in that lot that had the advertising back still attached. And of the six S74-2 colored version silks in the lot, four of them, including the blue material Chase silk, are in pretty nice shape with very little, if any, fraying at the tops and bottoms of the silks. The Knight and Wolter colored silks are a different story though, with both showing significant fraying on the tops and bottoms, especially the red Wolter silk. It almost looks like someone was trying to tear off the top of that Wolter silk. So you got five really nice silks, and unfortunately five not so nice, and no HOFs. Personally, I thought that lot went for at least twice what it was worth, especially after adding in the buyers premium. Still a few nice silks to be able to grab.

The way some people are pricing S74 silks they throw up on Ebay, you may not be overpaying that much after all. Have always felt these silks are underappreciated and undervalued. Maybe that is starting to finally change though.

To directly answer your specific question, there theoretically should be Red Sun and Helmar ad-backed S74-1 white silks of Chase. Now did any of them survive till today with the advertising backs still attached, that's an entirely different story. I don't think most mainstream card collectors, especially those into the contemporary T205 and T206 sets, truly appreciate how tough it is to find S74 silks in really nice shape, and how truly hard it is to find them with with advertising backs still attached to the S74-1 silks. Turkey Red and Old Mill are the most common brands these silks were distributed with. But when it comes to Red Sun and Helmar backed S74-1 white silks, you're talking uber-rare and then literally impossible, respectively. Both brands were mainly distributed in the South, in like the Louisiana area, where heat and humidity must have reeked havoc on the cardboard backings attached to the white version silks. Don't forget, those backings were supposed to be removed, so they weren't that strongly attached to begin with.

If you want a comparable way to think of how rare Red Sun and Helmar backed silks are, think of Red Sun backed S74-1 silks maybe being on par as far as rarity with Broadleaf or Lenox brand T206s backs. As for Helmar backed silks, you're talking brown Old Mill Southern Leaguer T206 back rarity, and possibly even worse. I've heard anecdotally that only about 10 or so Helmar backed silks are even known to exist, period. I personally know of two Helmar backed Cobbs included in that surviving group, but not what players make up the other eight or so surviving Helmar silks. I would venture to say it is most likely there are no surviving Helmar backed silks of Chase, and if there are any Red Sun backed silks of him, there's maybe a couple out there at most, but I've never seen or heard of silks with either one of those backs existing for him.

And as far as looking at pop reports to get an idea of what's out there, they don't work for S74-1 silks like they do most other card issues. To answer another of your questions, PSA does not grade the S74 silks at all. I've seen a very few graded by BVG, and remember seeing some graded by GAI back when they were still around. But SGC is by far the main TPG when it comes to grading any S74 silks. But, SGC only gives numerical grades to S74-1 silks that still have the backing attached. Any white version silks without the backing get an automatic "A" grade from SGC, that is it. And so you know, most serious S74 silk collectors don't really care about grading silks, so the existing TPG pop reports aren't necessarily going to be truly representative of what's out there. Unlike cards, where you didn't want to buy a fake online, you don't really need a TPG's opinion to tell if an S74 silk is real or not. It would be pretty nigh impossible to fake one, and definitely not cost effective for someone to try. About the only thing you may want to watch out for is if someone tries to re-attach a back, or maybe take one off a common player's silk and then tries attaching it to an unbacked HOFer's silk. Any attempts I've ever seen look pretty obvious though because the backing never perfectly matches the silk itself in those cases.

And then there's the added issue that TPGs try to grade the silks like cards, which makes no sense at all. TPG numerical grades on S74 silks can be, and generally are, all over the the place, and to me, and other advanced silk collectors, such grades are practically worthless. This is borne out when you do look at the SGC pop reports for S74-1 silks. They show a total of only 23 Red Sun backed silks ever being graded, with no individual player having more than two graded examples. There are going to be more Red Sun backed silks sitting out there in private collections, just no one truly knows how many. And remember me saying there's supposedly only around ten or so Helmar backed silks still in existence? Well the SGC pop reports show only one Helmar backed silk has ever been graded, and it is of Cobb. If you go back to that S74silk.com site someone earlier posted a link to, and go to the site page for S74-1 white silks, you'll find a front and back image of that SGC graded Helmar-Cobb. The slab was cropped out.

On that same page you'll also see an example of what the Red Sun back looks like, as well as the Old Mill and Turkey Red backs. And please note there are two versions of the Turkey Red backs, one with a frame/border, and another without. The SGC pop reports show a total of eight Chase S74-1 silks with Turkey Red backs have been graded, but they don't tell you how many are with or without the frame/border. I believe you should be able to find both versions of the Turkey Red backs for Chase, but no idea how easy that may be.

As for your last question about finding an S74-1 Chase silk printed with blue ink, I don't believe one exists, regardless of what tobacco brand is on the back. There's something like 17 or so players in the S74-1 white version silk set that appear to never have had any silks printed using the blue ink at all, at least not that have the advertising backs still attached. and that includes Chase. In my earlier post I suggested you go after Chase silks in each of the three different ink colors, for each tobacco brand. But that was only in reference to the S74-2 colored version silks. That won't be possible for the S74-1 white version silks as I already noted some players appear to have not had white silks printed with certain ink colors at all, or certain ink colors might have not been printed for some players for just a particular tobacco brand(s).

Trying to do an S74-1 white silk back run for a single player is pretty near impossible. The only player that I'm actually certain this could be done for is Cobb. Don't know of any other player in the S74-1 set I can guarantee has an existing Red Sun and Helmar backed silk, as well as a Turkey Red backed silk with the border/frame. But even for Cobb, if only a couple Helmar or Red Sun backed silks exist, you aren't going to be able to have one of each of the three ink colors the silks were printed in. Sorry to maybe give you some bad news regarding a master set/back run for S74-1 Chase silks, but figured it best to let you know what you realistically could do up front. Good luck.

Last edited by BobC; 01-25-2022 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:06 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
These two pieces might help you identify some colors ...
Chris, Those are sweet! Are those supposed to be like pillow covers or something? I've actually got a similar kind of piece made up of various silks, along with two actual pillows made from various silks. I always thought it was so neat to collect some of these silks as they were intended to be used.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:30 PM
Chris Counts

Bob, if they were made to be pillow cases, they were never completed. I found them as you see them and framed them up. I've seen many folk art silk baseball pieces over the years, but these two each had a lot of thought and work put into them when they were stitched together. They hang over my desk, so I look at them all day ...

Quote:
Chris, Those are sweet! Are those supposed to be like pillow covers or something? I've actually got a similar kind of piece made up of various silks, along with two actual pillows made from various silks. I always thought it was so neat to collect some of these silks as they were intended to be used.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:51 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Bob, if they were made to be pillow cases, they were never completed. I found them as you see them and framed them up. I've seen many folk art silk baseball pieces over the years, but these two each had a lot of thought and work put into them when they were stitched together. They hang over my desk, so I look at them all day ...
Those are gorgeous, and not sure how many such items have survived and remained intact like those, that are still out there. I remember years ago people taking items like those apart to try selling the individual ballplayer silks for what they thought would be a lot more money. You still see S74 silks come up on Ebay and elsewhere occasionally that have the holes in them from the thread that was used to sew them onto something. And you often see similar stitch marks in BF2/Ferguson Bakery pennants as well. To me it's a shame they ruined all those folk art pieces, and the silks and pennants, by taking them all apart.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:46 PM
Justin Goodman

Default 1911 S74-2 Hal Chase dark red silk

Thanks everyone for sharing the great info in this thread. I’m pretty new to silks and found it really helpful, especially because the one that really sparked my interest is a Hal Chase that I recently picked up at a local card show.

Photos of the raw silk attached here.

Appears to be a 1911 S74-2 Hal Chase (Old Mill) in a blood red color with dark blue ink (the colored ones were all issued w/o paper backs). Thanks to N54 member Bob C for the intel on the three ink colors used.

After reviewing auction records, Google image, S74silk.com and Net54, I have not seen another Chase with this specific combination of red silk and dark blue (which also looks like black) ink. The blood red silk is not to be confused with the light pink silk that also exists (S74silk.com names them pink and red).

The closest I’ve seen is this (not my card) BVG slabbed Hal Chase in the same color silk but printed in red ink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/calvindog/4615845011/

S74silk.com has a Doolan with this red silk/blue ink combo: http://www.s74silk.com/coloredsilks/

Here’s a quilt with a Larry Doyle and John Hummel on red silk with blue ink: https://www.invaluable.com/v2/auctio...0-c-38f4573902

Has anyone else seen an S74 Hal Chase on red silk with blue ink? Or any other players?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Justin

PS, for anyone interested, there’s also this newer thread from 2023 about silks too:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...highlight=Silk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD85A2E3-DFA1-47E9-A39D-74E210166293.jpg (191.9 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg CA6696AD-C29B-41E8-A8F5-7E3454FB8287.jpg (190.8 KB, 319 views)

Last edited by Silverskulls; 04-16-2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:16 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverskulls View Post
Thanks everyone for sharing the great info in this thread. I’m pretty new to silks and found it really helpful, especially because the one that really sparked my interest is a Hal Chase that I recently picked up at a local card show.

Photos of the raw silk attached here.

Appears to be a 1911 S74-2 Hal Chase (Old Mill) in a blood red color with black ink (the colored ones were all issued w/o paper backs).

After reviewing auction records, Google image, S74silk.com and Net54, I have not seen another Chase with this specific combination of red silk and black ink. The blood red silk is not to be confused with the light pink silk that also exists (S74silk.com names them pink and red).

The closest I’ve seen is this (not my card) BVG slabbed Hal Chase in the same color silk but printed in red ink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/calvindog/4615845011/

S74silk.com has a Doolan with this red silk/black ink combo: http://www.s74silk.com/coloredsilks/

Here’s a quilt with a Larry Doyle and John Hummel on red silk with black ink: https://www.invaluable.com/v2/auctio...0-c-38f4573902

Has anyone else seen an S74 Hal Chase on red silk with black ink? Or any other players?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Justin

PS, for anyone interested, there’s also this newer thread from 2023 about silks too:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...highlight=Silk
Hey Justin,

Great Chase silk. The deep red colored S74-2s are one of the rarer material colors to find. Yours has a bit of fading it looks like, which isn't all that unusual as they are over 100 years old. But the image is NOT printed with black ink, it just looks like black ink because it was originally printed on a dark red material. As previously mentioned, they only used three different ink colors for the images on both the S74-1 white silks, and the S74-2 colored version silks: blue, brown and a red/rust color. My guess is yours may have been the blue ink version, which when printed on the dark red material makes it look black. And the fading probably didn't help as it likely took out some of the shine/luster of the blue ink, and left the duller, blackish looking color behind.

When the brown or red/rust color inks were used on these dark red colored material silks, it was often kind of tough to actually make out the player's images and the tobacco brand names on them. Maybe a reason why you don't see the dark red material silks that often, as the manufacturers quickly realized they didn't always present the images and writing very well. And since they made these to be used in sewing and creating things for around the house, that would have been a possible turn off for the ladies using them in their sewing projects, and thus causing the manufacturers to not use the dark red material that much.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:16 PM
Bob C.

When you do come across a dark red colored material S74-2 silk that has escaped fading, the dark red really sticks out and pretty much overshadows whatever color ink was used.

Again, nice Chase silk. You do have the very typical fraying at the top and bottom, but the tobacco brand name and factory designation are both clear and complete, with no fraying to either of them, which is what you want to see. Also, you can still see some of the darker colored red silk material at the very top and very bottom of the silks that shows where they had applied whatever it was to help stop the fraying when the silk was originally cut. Whenever you are looking for the colored S74-2 version silks, you want to see as little (to no) fraying as possible, and these darker material stripes across the very top and bottom as fully intact as possible.

Last edited by BobC; 05-14-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:31 PM
Todd Schultz

I have a Wiltse that is unlike any of my other silks. First, it feels like it is on different fabric. Second, it's almost as if was cut the other way. The top and bottom, often the subject of fraying, look as if they couldn't fray much if they tried while the sides look otherwise.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-15-2023 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:53 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I have a Wiltse that is unlike any of my other silks. First, it feels like it is on different fabric. Second, it's almost as if was cut the other way. The top and bottom, often the subject of fraying, look as if they couldn't fray much if they tried while the sides look otherwise.

Hmmm, that is interesting. And possibly because they accidently turned the material when it was put in for printing. If you ever look at the S72 actress silks, that are also mentioned as part of this overall issue along with the S74 baseball player silks, they normally are like this also, with the fraying most always on the sides, and not at the tops and bottoms. My understanding is that the material that is woven to make these silks will often have a much tighter weave going either horizontally or vertically, and that that tighter weave causes the material to be less likely to ever fray. It seems that it just depends on which way they fed the material for the printing of the images. To my knowledge though, I'm not aware of any premium normally being attributed to a silk like this with a sort of reverse fraying to it.

Very nice Wiltse silk and pickup, that's a keeper.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:53 PM
Bob C.

Last edited by BobC; 04-15-2023 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:05 AM
Justin Goodman

Thanks for all of the helpful info, Bob! Really appreciate it!
Old 04-16-2023, 10:05 AM
Rick Clemens

Mike,

A few of the larger collectors and myself put together a master check list a few years back using our own collections and auction lot history. No S74-1 Chase silks are listed with Red Sun or Helmar backs. Also, no blue ink printed Chase S74-1 silks are notated on my list with any back. I still find unknown variations as I recently picked up a White with blue ink OM back and an Overall blue ink TR (no frame) back. Neither were on the master list. They are unique or previously undiscovered finds. I think it is possible you will find a blue ink S74-1 Chase silk. As far as finding one with a Red Sun or Helmar back, that is possible, but any Red Sun is very rare and Helmar nearly impossible with any player front

S74-1 silks clearly have the 3 color inks. Blue, Brown and as Bob C pointed out a red/ rust color that Burdick refers to as red in the American Card Catalogue. As far as S74-2 I think there was blue ink and a rust/red ink or brownish red. I am not convinced that there is a separate brown and red ink on the colored silks. It is hard to know with all the silk color variations that can skew the ink colors. I have close to 300 colored silks and did a detailed separation of the various master colors of the S74-2 silk on the S74silk website. However light exposure or variation of color make for variations beyond the different ones I show on the site. Best of luck in your hunt for the elusive blue ink Chase.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:29 AM
Justin Goodman

Really interesting and helpful! Thanks, Rick! The content on the website is top notch too. Really thorough and easy to understand.

Did your master list have a dark red silk Chase with blue ink? I haven’t come across another yet.

Justin
Old 04-16-2023, 08:13 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Really interesting and helpful! Thanks, Rick! The content on the website is top notch too. Really thorough and easy to understand.

Did your master list have a dark red silk Chase with blue ink? I haven’t come across another yet.

Justin
Rick's information and site is right on the money. However, even the master list put together probably does not include/cover anywhere near a major portion of the S74 silks that likely exist out in the world. PSA doesn't grade them, and if you check SGC's pop reports, they've only graded about 2,000 silks, both the S74-1 white and S74-2 colored silks, in total. Most advanced silk collectors couldn't care less about grading. And I've never heard of anyone ever even trying to produce a fake or counterfeit one, and I don't think trimming one would go over very well. LOL

There are likely a lot more silks, of both versions, out there that are ungraded and in people's private collections than you can imagine. So, the chances of finding some with a specific ink-material color combo that is not on that master list Rick was talking about, may be better than you can imagine also. I've got a few hundred colored silks myself, and contributed to the master list as well. But there is a good chance the master list is not perfect and properly showing everything that is, or isn't, actually out there in the world. So don't give up hope of finding some color combos you're interested in.

What is interesting is that a lot of people that are into the T206 set, with its numerous different tobacco/series/factory number back variations, don't realize the somewhat similar variation options and difficulties and intriguing complexities that exist with the silks. With the S74 white silks, you can have one of four different tobacco brands on the back, with two variations of the Turkey Red backs, so five different advertising backs in total. And then the front images came in potentially three different ink colors; blue, brown and a red/rust ink. So, theoretically, every player in the S74 white silks version set could potentially come in up to 15 different ink color/back combinations. And with the S74-2 colored version silks, there are no backs, and only two different tobacco brands that are now printed on the front of the silks, Turkey Red and Old Mill, but still have the three different ink colors for the images and a truly unbelievable number of material color variations. So, I don't know how many actual different versions of each player in the S74-2 colored silks set could potentially exist, but I'm going to guess it is a heck of a lot more than just 15 each. So, for anyone who likes that particular collecting aspect of multiple variations and other complexities that the T206 set offers, it can be found in the S74 silks as well. But the S74 silks are actually a lot rarer in the total numbers out there than the T206 cards. But they are still out there.

At the Strongsville show today I came across about 4-5 dealers that actually had some S74-1 and S-74-2 silks for sale. Of course, Cobb silks were big and seemed to be the most common, but did see a stack of ungraded but ad-backed S74-1 white silks of common players, in pretty nice condition and with very reasonable sticker prices, along with some nice condition S74-2 colored versions silks of stars and common players as well. And those S74-1 ad-backed silks included an extremely rare Red Sun tobacco silk of HOFer Johnny Evers. So, you never know what you might find out there in the wild, until you go looking for it. Good luck in your search.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:55 AM
Rick Clemens

The Master check list was for the S74-1 silks with ad backs. I'm sure Bob is correct that more exist that are not on the checklist. We did not attempt to put together a checklist for colored silks , S74-2 becaise of the enormous amount of silk colors and the inability to be specific about a certain color. I will say I have not seen a red Chase with blue ink. The nice thing about silks are more are discovered all the time.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Justin Goodman

Thanks so much, Rick and Bob! This info and insight is really fantastic

-Justin
Old 04-17-2023, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktmd View Post
Mike,

A few of the larger collectors and myself put together a master check list a few years back using our own collections and auction lot history. No S74-1 Chase silks are listed with Red Sun or Helmar backs. Also, no blue ink printed Chase S74-1 silks are notated on my list with any back. I still find unknown variations as I recently picked up a White with blue ink OM back and an Overall blue ink TR (no frame) back. Neither were on the master list. They are unique or previously undiscovered finds. I think it is possible you will find a blue ink S74-1 Chase silk. As far as finding one with a Red Sun or Helmar back, that is possible, but any Red Sun is very rare and Helmar nearly impossible with any player front

S74-1 silks clearly have the 3 color inks. Blue, Brown and as Bob C pointed out a red/ rust color that Burdick refers to as red in the American Card Catalogue. As far as S74-2 I think there was blue ink and a rust/red ink or brownish red. I am not convinced that there is a separate brown and red ink on the colored silks. It is hard to know with all the silk color variations that can skew the ink colors. I have close to 300 colored silks and did a detailed separation of the various master colors of the S74-2 silk on the S74silk website. However light exposure or variation of color make for variations beyond the different ones I show on the site. Best of luck in your hunt for the elusive blue ink Chase.
Interestingly enough, I was able to track down a blue ink S74-1 Chase. I found it on ebay. I had it graded shortly after it arrived to me.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:28 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Thanks so much, Rick and Bob! This info and insight is really fantastic

-Justin
Sorry I did not specifically mention that the Master List was only for the S74-1 white version silks. Rick is correct, there was no attempt to even try doing a Master List of the S74-2 colored silks. With all the different material colors for the S74-2 silks, even beginning to try putting a Master List together involving the material colors would be an insane idea.

There are probably a lot more of both types of silks out there than most are aware of, and the chances of the current Master List of S74-1 white silks being a true, final indication of exactly what ink/color/brand combos are or aren't in existence pretty small, at least not without inclusion of a lot more silks in the population sample IMO. But it a great indicator and very good start to get there.

Speaking of which, one thing to mention to other collectors based on such observations has to do with the S74-1 white silks printed with blue ink. I've often seen dealers and Ebay sellers remark that the blue ink S74-1 silks they are selling are rare, and therefore worth a markup or premium. The truth be told, such dealers/sellers are most likely either ignorant, or trying to rip you off. In looking at various players in the S74-1 white silk set, it would appear that not every player had silks of them printed in all three ink colors; blue, brown and red/rust. And it would also seem that there were more players that never had their silks printed using the blue ink, than there were with those not printed using either of the other two ink colors. So, it appears some dealers/sellers would use that fact to then try and argue that apparently ALL white version silks printed with blue ink are somehow rarer, and thus charge you more for them. Don't ever be fooled!
Old 04-17-2023, 03:28 PM
Bob C.

"Interestingly enough, I was able to track down a blue ink S74-1 Chase. I found it on ebay. I had it graded shortly after it arrived to me."

Great Chase pick-up. Nice blue ink silk!

However, did you notice the complete grading screw-up? That is an Old Mill backed Chase silk, so why the heck does the flip say it is a Turkey Red backed silk? How does someone miss something so obvious? And just another reason/example why grading of the silks seems unnecessary to a lot of silk collectors.

Last edited by BobC; 04-17-2023 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:44 PM

And here are all of them together. Always looking for more that I dont have.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:52 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
And here are all of them together. Always looking for more that I dont have.

Very nice! Great grouping showing the various material and ink colors, and a couple of the advertising backs.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:52 PM
Bob C.

Last edited by BobC; 04-17-2023 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:07 AM
Justin Goodman

Amazing collection realbigfatdog!
Old 04-19-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Amazing collection realbigfatdog!
Thank you!

Old 04-24-2023, 07:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great silks in this (older) thread. Always a fan of them.

Last edited by Leon; 04-24-2023 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:21 PM
W
W@de Wo.lter

Love the silks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 273451215_2042876892553298_5400604427284810201_n.jpg (200.8 KB, 124 views)
Old 04-26-2023, 07:04 PM

Fantastic collection!

Old 04-26-2023, 07:49 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzie22 View Post
Love the silks!
Great collection of Wolter silks, and love the display of varying colors. Surprised no blue material ones in the group, or is that because you restricted your silk collection to only those graded by GAI and/or stopped collecting Wolter silks before GAI went out of business back around 2009 or so? Blue seems to be one of the prevalent material colors for the S74-2 colored version silks, so would definitely think you should be able to find them out there, just maybe not in a GAI holder.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:10 AM
Justin Goodman

Awesome Wolter collection! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 04-29-2023, 08:05 PM
W
W@de Wo.lter

Quote:
Great collection of Wolter silks, and love the display of varying colors. Surprised no blue material ones in the group, or is that because you restricted your silk collection to only those graded by GAI and/or stopped collecting Wolter silks before GAI went out of business back around 2009 or so? Blue seems to be one of the prevalent material colors for the S74-2 colored version silks, so would definitely think you should be able to find them out there, just maybe not in a GAI holder.
Thanks! Actually, the one GAI is blue but it doesn't show blue in the photo, I think, because of the blue background. I still try to pick these up when I can find them. The only reason they are in GAI slabs is because years ago they were the only company that would grade them. I'd like to change them over some day to SGC
Old 05-14-2023, 12:09 PM
Justin Goodman

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, everyone!

This S74 Hal Chase just came back home and I've posted him up in BST:
https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=335381
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan.jpg (196.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg chase back s74.jpg (179.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 05-15-2023, 10:36 AM
John

I need just 1 card for a master set of T205 but while building that set I picked up these Silks along the way many years ago...saw the thread and thought I would share the few I have.
John

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2023, 01:22 PM
P.aul Orl,in

I think the silks are really cool, and I have just two that i bought years ago. Haven’t had the bandwidth to focus on them more, almost bought a large group that came to auction in the last year but lost out.

Here are mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2175.jpeg (115.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2174.jpeg (102.3 KB, 40 views)