NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-29-2021, 11:59 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Your suggestions - best David Ortiz card to add to HOF collection

I may be getting ahead of myself here (hopefully not) but I wanted to see if other collectors to focus on Hall of Fame only, have any suggestions on which David Ortiz card would make a great addition to a Hall of Fame “set“

Like many other Hall of Fame collectors here, I look to have one card from each Hall of Fame player from there playing days with the team they are most recognized with.

Obviously, that would be with my Red Sox!

While I like to consider myself somewhat knowledgeable in vintage baseball, I’m equally as illiterate about modern cards.

I don’t need the most rare card but would like to have some thing that might keep its value and make it interesting down the road when my kids liquidate my entire collection (hopefully a long long way down the road!)

Any suggestions? I think I would like to get a graded version, makes the cards look a bit uniform in my display.

Thx for any suggestions (and card images!)

Jeff
Old 12-29-2021, 12:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ortiz.jpg (76.2 KB, 185 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:18 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

You might look into some of the Heritage SSPs or Topps Flagship SSPs.

Here's a sample of them, usually funny or interesting photo variations.
https://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,=david+ortiz+ssp,ot,i100

If David Ortiz had a Heritage Throwback Uniform variation, that would be a really good one to hold up since they're so rare and master set collectors hoard them. You could get some kind of Superfractor 1/1 during his Red Sox years.

If you weren't a Red Sox fan, I would recommend one of his Minnesota Twins RCs that have him listed as David Arias, since it would provide a history lesson about Hispanics who came to the US and stole people's identities to appear younger and sign MLB contracts, a big part of baseball in the 90s/00s. Wikipedia says that the MLB just listed him under his mother's last name since they didn't understand Spanish culture, FWIW. But like I said, interesting discussion to have about the time Ortiz played.
Quote:
Ortiz was born on November 18, 1975, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, as the oldest of four children of Enrique (Leo) Ortiz and Ángela Rosa Arias.
On November 28, 1992, Ortiz was signed by the Seattle Mariners just 10 days after his 17th birthday, who listed him as "David Arias" due to not being familiar with Spanish naming customs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ortiz

1997 Fleer Ultra - [Base] #518 - David Ortiz (David Arias on Card) [SGC 9 MINT]
Courtesy of COMC.com
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:04 PM
Steven Finley

99% of the time I lean towards RC’s, but in this case it’s without a doubt to me it’s his 2013 Boston Strong Topps SSP.

Last edited by sbfinley; 12-29-2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:21 PM
Jonathan Sterling

The 1997 Donrus Signatures auto would be my choice. Rookie Auto... and not in that awful red sox uniform.
Lets go Yankees!!

Jon

Last edited by bigfanNY; 12-29-2021 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
The 1997 Donrus Signatures auto would be my choice. Rookie Auto... and not in that awful red sox uniform.
Lets go Yankees!!

Jon
Interesting cards because he did not understand where he was supposed to sign them.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:20 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Lets go Yankees!!

Jon
Advice from a Yankees fan?? Leon, how do I block this guy?! JK... Ortiz already inflicted enough suffering on you over the years!
Old 12-30-2021, 12:25 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
99% of the time I lean towards RC’s, but in this case it’s without a doubt to me it’s his 2013 Boston Strong Topps SSP.
Thanks for the idea... sorry for the really silly question, but what is an SSP card? Looks like they carry a real premium cost on Ebay - are they very limited?
Old 12-30-2021, 12:33 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

My nephew is suggesting a 2018 Topps Luminary card... signed by Ortiz. Looks like around $150, give or take.

I know about as much about Auto cards as I do modern cards - is this a reasonable choice?
Old 12-30-2021, 12:50 PM
Greg C

Old 12-30-2021, 12:54 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Thanks for the idea... sorry for the really silly question, but what is an SSP card? Looks like they carry a real premium cost on Ebay - are they very limited?
SP - Short print (could be hundreds or thousands depending on the print run of the set.
SSP - Super Short print (could be tens or a hundred of this card)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:03 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
SP - Short print (could be hundreds or thousands depending on the print run of the set.
SSP - Super Short print (could be tens or a hundred of this card)
Ah, got it… since I want one in his Sox uni, maybe I should look for a WSP version?

A “wicked short print”… from Boston🎶

(Thx for the info!)
Old 12-30-2021, 08:55 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Thx for the advice… decided to add my first (and probably only) auto card.

See you Cooperstown, Papi!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1B5CC7F3-AB34-4896-A1CF-276165251FDE.jpg (13.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 01-03-2022, 02:26 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I always go for HOF base Topps RC for vintage cards - usually the only one available - but then there are things that just changed in the 80's - Obviously you go for a card like 84 Fleer Update for a Clemens or Puckett RC versus their 1985 counterparts. Griffey obviously the UD RC versus the Topps Update.

So when I looked for an Ortiz to figure out which one I came across Fleer Ultra and Fleer. Those seem to be the normal issued cards that line up the most as his best base RC's. I think the Ultra is more of a premium so I ended up getting a PSA 9 Fleer RC. I am happy with the decision. It's almost doubled since I bought it. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those two cards.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2022, 07:09 AM
Larry P.

I also would prefer a card in a Red Sox uniform. So his rookie card is not an option for me. I have several ungraded in Red Sox uniform, not sure which is the best one. Also not sure when grading these will be affordable again.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:37 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I've held on to this one

Oversized box topper

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors