NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Default Ever seen one of these?

Posted By: Dustin

I just recently picked this up, and was wondering if anyone had ever seen one. I haven't received the item, but couldn't pass it up. I know the organization helps former major and minor league players who are having difficulties. What do you guys think? Any idea regarding what the writing on the back says? - Dustin

Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Signed by Russ Hall, who died in 1937, who played for the 1898 St. Louis Browns and the 1901 Cleveland Blues. He signed many pieces of documentation in his position as secretary of the Association. I have a couple of these. Win Clark, who played for the Louisville Colonels, took over as secretary upon Hall's passing, manning that position until his death in 1959 if memory serves correct. Your piece is likely worth about $125-175 (and about $250 if it weren't for the water staining which affects Hall's signature).

Old 07-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Dustin,

It's pretty funny, because the Association passes that were issued to me when I played in the minors in the mid-1980s look very much like yours. They obviously didn't spend much time on changing the style over the years. If I can dig mine out, I'll post scans later.

Rob

Old 07-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Anyone care to enlighten me regarding this piece?
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ROBERT ADAMS JR

A quick search found that Maurice DeLoof was a Boston Red Sox scout who signed Rick Miller and Dick Radatz .

Old 07-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

DeLoof had a very brief minor league career also.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Dustin,

On the other hand, the Blaeholder pass could be worth $5.61, if the market is any indicator

http://tinyurl.com/5ou58a

Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Max,

If I ever need someone tracked down, I'm calling you. You're a sleuth.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George H. Counter

I don't see the point on posting the original auction link.
Dustin never asked for pricing information on the item, so no need to be a wise a$$ Max.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Administrator

I had it in my watchlist, but didn't bid. I had no idea that the signature on it was rare and I'm guessing that nobody else watching it did either - except perhaps the originator of this thread.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dustin

Max,
Perhaps you should change your log in to DICK Tracy since you possess such fine detective skills. Also, if you don't mind, please explain to me the relevance of your post to the original question. I simply asked if anyone had ever seen a card such as the one that I pictured. I initially thought about ignoring your comment. I usually choose to do so when it comes to someone making pompous statements in order to let what they say demonstrate the obvious character of whomever is hiding behind a computer screen making them, but this time I'll respond. People like you are one of the reasons that some choose never to ask questions and are afraid to broaden their horizons. Perhaps you should re-evaluate yourself? If I completely misinterpreted what you said, and I don't think I did, then allow me to be the first to apologize for doing so. If I did not, however, perhaps you should ask yourself how you could use your time trying to better our hobby, our society, and this board that we are lucky enough to have, instead of putting a black mark on it. - Dustin

Old 07-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Dustin, you are overreacting. Max has been around here a long time and has always been very helpful...he was just having some fun. Note the smiley? I think perhaps he shouldn't have posted the item since you say you haven't received it yet, but your rant is unwarranted.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Agree... Max is one of the "good guys" on this board, always a key contributor, and I am sure that there was no malice intended

Old 07-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I thought Max was replying to Jodi and his price estimate. And I thought it was in good fun.

Relax Dustin. Knowing Jodi's expertise, and the price you paid, leads me to believe you got a deal.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Wow. I read Max's post and didn't think for a moment that any malice was intended.

Deep breaths, everyone. In with the good air, out with the bad.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Yes, you did get a good deal. I would have made you a decent offer if I didn't have several Russ Hall signatures already.

edit--redundancy

Old 07-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Rob,

Still waiting to see scans of your membership card(s). I don't know why, but I'm curious to see what one of these looked like in the 1980's. All the ones I've owned were from the 1930's-40's.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

If I over-reacted and misjudged the intent of the comments, then I apologize, to you Max, and the board. - Dustin

Old 07-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Administrator

It's all good Dustin. Even though I think Max should not have posted a link to the auction one thing you should NEVER do is post an item you won on ebay if you don't have it in hand. I don't think anyone will interfere with the sale here, but it's always a good rule to remember.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Jodi,

I'm still looking. The box I thought they were in contained 1987 Texas League playoff ticket stubs instead. (I'll be happy to post those if you like. ) I have an idea where I can put my hands on the membership cards. I'll try to find, scan and post them by the end of the weekend.

Rob

Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Dustin, that's a pretty neat piece. The one I have is metal.

Clint

Old 07-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Klevens

Here is a pass from the 1931 U.S. All-Star of Japan featuring Lou Gehrig. The space for the name is left blank.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

No malice intended by me, Dustin, and my posting to the auction was an indication of your good buy, however badly I worded it. I certainly didn't hope or intend that anyone would interfere with your auction.

Max

Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Hufford

Russ Hall was Secretary of the APBPA from its founding, in 1924, until his death in 1937. The group currently has 11,000+ members. I have several of the APBPA annual reports put out in the 1930s, and if they had about 1,000 members then, Russ Hall would have signed that many membership cards each year - or maybe 10,000 in all.

I'm surprised that they surface, since if one of my ancestors were a member or played in the majors, I would keep that stuff in the family. But, many have become available over the years, usually sold as part of a family's estate. I have found several in flea markets over the years.

I have several of the cards signed by Russ Hall, and several more signed by his successor Win Clark. They are not "rare" by any means, but they sure don't turn up every day either.

Nice find.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dennis O'Brien

Here is another Maurice DeLoof example. Each time I look at this I imagine that he attended a Montreal game and got Jackie Robinson to sign his score card.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Montreal was in the International League.