NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2003, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Default Get ready for an onslaught of trimmed cards on ebay

Posted By: TBob

Judging by what the designated "trimmed and altered" tobbaco and caramel cards are selling for in the Mastro auction, look for some of them to make their way to ebay, both in graded holders and raw. I know I am printing out the pages for future reference, I assume some of you are doing the same.

Old 08-19-2003, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Bob
I had the same thought last night. What a nightmare, a flood of trimmed tobacco cards listed as unaltered or in Pro holders. I can think of a few people, who I do not want to win this lot.

Later Brian

Old 08-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anothercollector

Could you please clarify? I went to the Mastro
website but I can't find the cards you were
referencing...thanks

Old 08-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: botn

I think that they will make their way into more "legitimate" holders than that.

Shall I make this multiple choice?

Old 08-20-2003, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree. I was looking in the catalogue again last night and the lot that has the T205, T206, and T207 trimmed ones is going to suck in the ebay/open market.....Glad I'm a type collector. regards all ( just my bias but I think more will get through the other guys than SGC)

Old 08-20-2003, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JamesWalker,Jr

Here is the link to Mastornet's Auction.

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=32800&CurrentRow=1

I'm surprised that they would offer such cards.

James Walker, Jr.

Old 08-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Administrator

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=32803

Old 08-20-2003, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Considering few if any on this board buys PRO or such graded cards, and, I would hope, is buying T205 Cobbs from sellers they know to be reputable, I don't see a problem in the future. The people who are going to have problems are the people who buy PRO cards and don't have serious concern about the quality of the seller. These people are going to have problems whether or not these cards are introduced to eBay.

Old 08-20-2003, 01:04 PM
Administrator

I add that many of these cards are not just trimmed but altered in other significant ways. This means that the later date identification of the altered cards should not a problem for the keen eyed collector. I am confident that no one at MastroNet used anything stronger than a dimestore loupe to examine these cards, and I wouldn't be surpised if they used nothing stronger than a close look with naked eyes.

Old 08-20-2003, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Look at the E94 Cobb and if that scan were on ebay, tell me your palms wouldn't begin to sweat. Mine would.. I'd be looking to see how much I had in my bank account...

Old 08-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Administrator

I agree that it would not be SGC who would be grading the altered cards. Another company comes to mind but for the moment I forget the acronym...Hmmm it is not GAI. Oh well it will come to me a little later.

Greg

Old 08-20-2003, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: murcerfan

whay do you guys think Beckett will slab these?

Old 08-20-2003, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

The bid is over $11,000 for the 18 card trimmed lot. I don't know how they are going to make money on that.

Old 08-20-2003, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

My bad I didn't read how big the lot was. I feel like a dunderhead.

Old 08-22-2003, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: carew4me

I also agree with BOTN that Beckett will slab these.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

C'mon guys, PSA has stock holders to please and registry members who have tons of money and little knowledge of cards. Think a little trimming will make them turn away any e-cards? It doesn't seem to have mattered for going on 2 years now. Don't put them out of the running. The winner of those lots will have many options.

. . . .and then there is AAA. I can see that too. 'Bout time ol' Roy graded something legit.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: carew4me

Pete,
You are so right.

I talkied with Marshall Fogel and John Branca.

I told them there was a guy on an obscure vintage message board that really knows his stuff.
I echoed the fact that they have too much money and
too little collecting knowledge reagrdless of what has been written by them or about them in the collecting world.

I tried to tell them that this guy Pete knew that PSA was a joke and that their investments were in real jeopardy if they did get over here quick for a dose
of your extensive wisdom.

They just laugh at me Pete. They wont listen.

Its almost like nobody cares.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Beckett was not the grading company that came to mind when I was referring to another company that would holder the altered cards.

Everyone knows that Beckett is a joke. There is another company out there that many refuse to see is just as big of a joke. I still cannot remember the name of the darn grading company though.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mrc32

I think Greg is talking about PSA.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

If this board is so "obscure", and you dislike it so much, why are you here? (that's a rhetorical question - stirrin up sh*t is the obvious answer).

I don't always agree with Pete, but I can say with certainly he knew more ten years ago than you will take to your grave.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Administrator

For those who did not see my post on the SGC board under The Great Grading Debate forum, I posed a question to the public to help me in identifying potentially altered cards in holders. I gave 6 examples of cards that I pulled from a very high profile PSA Authorized Dealer.

Now I just want to be clear that the last time that I came out and made a public post illustrating some examples of questionable centering for an 8, I had to be punished by the President of that company. Therefore I present these 6 examples and I am asking you to be the judge. Do these cards look ok to you?

htpp://www.botn.com/ex3.jpg

Thanks for playing along,
Greg

edited to provide direct links---Elliot

Old 08-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure how obscure this board is considering about half the folks on the PSA board have posted here, and the PSA board regularly links to threads here.

Past posters on this board have included Bill Mastro, Doug Allen (President of MastroNet), Bob Lemke (editor of the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, which I bet about half of the PSA members own), Wayne Grove and Rich Klein of Becket. I am confident that top folks at Beckett, PSA, GAI, SGC, MastroNet and elsewhere regularly access this site.

Old 08-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Administrator

That top border on Campanella looks like a roller coaster ride!

Old 08-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

carew4me,

Wow, you "talkied" with Marshall Fogel and John Branca. Is there anything more pathetic than name dropping? Just wondering. I can see why you did though, I mean, those guys own Baseball cards in PSA holders, not AAA or PRO holders, no, their cards are in PSA holders - Wow! - I can see why you're impressed. Did Fogel and Branca offer to fax you copies of their registry certificates? Wow, what a coup that would have been.

Won't PSA kick you off their forum for cheating on them with an obscure forum board? One SO obscure even you have heard of it or did you have to get their permission first? Are they charging to post on the CU board now? Is it cheaper then the fee for allowing PSA to grade YOUR cards? Still trying to figure that one out. Don't want to piss off the PSA gods now. Oh, silly me, that's right, most of the great humanitarians have been fired or "quit" after house cleaning so you may not be punished too harshly. What does it say about a company whose path to improvement was best served by getting rid of the current path builders? Hmmm.

I much prefer to be associated this "obscure" forum where regardless of how often or not you agree with someone it exposes you to what is without a doubt a wealth of knowledge of this hobby that is unequaled and is actually about the cards and not registry averages.

You go along now and you have PSA bump all your "8s" to "9s." Oh, that's right, you can't. You're not one of the PSA insiders who are the only ones deemed worthy of having their cards graded "that" accurately.

Old 08-22-2003, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Cobb - colored corners

Lajoie - OK maybe

Foxx DS - Diamond cut or worse

Foxx Goudey - soft or rounded corners - diamond cut

Manush - pin mark or hole in top border

Campy - curved top

Old 08-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Administrator

I had thought that the top corners of all 6 examples had a distinct similarity and did not have natural wear.