NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for BSelling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-14-2021, 08:58 AM
thatkidfromjerrymaguire thatkidfromjerrymaguire is offline
John Donovan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 223
Default Uh oh...now I have to be concerned about fake wrappers too?

Have you all seen this ebay seller's wrapper reprints?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/kanicol76/m...p2047675.l2562

First off, his listings are very clearly labeled in the title that these are REPRINT wrappers. I don't think there is anything wrong with him making/selling these as he is not trying to deceive.

However, I AM concerned about people with bad intentions buying them and then trying to pass them off as real. I took a real close look at the two wrappers I am most familiar with (1935 Goudey and 1952 Bowman) and I can't see anything that tips me off that these aren't real. Maybe they FEEL different in hand, but visually they are spot on.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-14-2021, 09:33 AM
conor912's Avatar
conor912 conor912 is offline
C0nor D0na.hue
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,657
Default

Ugh. Here come graded wrappers.
__________________
Items for sale or trade here UPDATED 3-16-18
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2021, 10:01 AM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 6,514
Default

Some of them are close.

Most of the modern ones look too solid from the back.

And the 34 Goudey is really obvious that the overall color is printed on.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2021, 10:59 AM
ramram's Avatar
ramram ramram is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,192
Default

Problem is that they should have "Reprint" clearly labeled on them somewhere.

Rob M
__________________
Turd Ferguson "its a funny name"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2021, 01:55 PM
CJinPA CJinPA is offline
Carl
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Problem is that they should have "Reprint" clearly labeled on them somewhere.

Rob M
+100 !!!

I wanted to add some '52 Topps to my collection and won some Phillies recently and the collection included a wrapper. I thought that was cool, some kid actually opened that decades ago - or maybe not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 topps.jpg (58.2 KB, 283 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2021, 02:24 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post
+100 !!!

I wanted to add some '52 Topps to my collection and won some Phillies recently and the collection included a wrapper. I thought that was cool, some kid actually opened that decades ago - or maybe not
I was watching that auction specifically for the wrappers!
__________________
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2021, 02:59 PM
cardsagain74 cardsagain74 is online now
J0hn H@rper
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 571
Default

I got the '52 yesterday that Clean Sweep Auctions had up. May have overpaid a little for it, but they seem awful tough to find anymore.

If something isn't coming from an established seller, it'd be hard to feel comfortable with picking up some of the more expensive wrappers. Tough for a non-expert to diagnose the reprints from a pic
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2021, 03:27 PM
Wimberleycardcollector Wimberleycardcollector is offline
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 48
Default

The bigger problem here is copyright infringement. It's why I don't sell the binder art I made for my card binders based on wrapper art. It's still under copyright by Topps (not sure about Bowman or Goudey). They even sell signs online with the wrapper art on it so it's clearly not legal unless he obtained permission. I doubt it. He will get a letter if they see it or someone reports it. David Howard
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2021, 04:00 PM
thatkidfromjerrymaguire thatkidfromjerrymaguire is offline
John Donovan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
If something isn't coming from an established seller, it'd be hard to feel comfortable with picking up some of the more expensive wrappers. Tough for a non-expert to diagnose the reprints from a pic
Yeah, the more I think about it I'm kind of bummed out that these exist. I've been looking to add a 1952 Bowman wrapper to my collection and have come very close to just overpaying and clicking "buy it now" on eBay just to get one. But I honestly can't tell the difference between his reprint and the other ones available. For all I know they are ALL reprints...potentially with the other sellers not knowing.

I do have a 1935 Goudey which I assume is real (color and aging all look legit through a loupe)...but at this point, who knows.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2021, 04:05 PM
glchen's Avatar
glchen glchen is offline
_G@ґy*€hℯη_
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,625
Default

The Babe Ruth Home Run wrapper has been reprinted like crazy. Here's a good thread on it: Link
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-14-2021, 05:56 PM
cardsagain74 cardsagain74 is online now
J0hn H@rper
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Yeah, the more I think about it I'm kind of bummed out that these exist. I've been looking to add a 1952 Bowman wrapper to my collection and have come very close to just overpaying and clicking "buy it now" on eBay just to get one. But I honestly can't tell the difference between his reprint and the other ones available. For all I know they are ALL reprints...potentially with the other sellers not knowing.

I do have a 1935 Goudey which I assume is real (color and aging all look legit through a loupe)...but at this point, who knows.
Oh I meant the '52 Topps. I haven't compared any others to to reprints you linked at the top of the page, but that guy's 52 T has a much darker red than the mild red/orange tone on the originals
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-14-2021, 06:04 PM
Steve D's Avatar
Steve D Steve D is offline
5t3v3...D4.w50n
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,550
Default

Modern fakes of vintage (1930s - 1960s) wrappers have been a problem for years/decades, especially on the non-sports side; that's why I have always been particularly hesitant to buy any supposed vintage wrappers.

I even talked to Joe Orlando and, IIRC, Steve Hart at the National in 2013 about the possibility of wrapper grading & slabbing. Both were sceptical.

I just wish someone reputable would grade and slab wrappers, as I believe there is a large market for them, especially as I said, on the non-sports side.

Steve
__________________
Successful BST deals with eliotdeutsch, gonzo, jimivintage, Leon, lharris3600, Mrc32, sb1, seablaster, shammus, veloce.

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)

Last edited by Steve D; 01-14-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-14-2021, 07:12 PM
glchen's Avatar
glchen glchen is offline
_G@ґy*€hℯη_
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,625
Default

I think SGC slaps some wrappers. (I don't own the Sports Kings one anymore.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Modern fakes of vintage (1930s - 1960s) wrappers have been a problem for years/decades, especially on the non-sports side; that's why I have always been particularly hesitant to buy any supposed vintage wrappers.

I even talked to Joe Orlando and, IIRC, Steve Hart at the National in 2013 about the possibility of wrapper grading & slabbing. Both were sceptical.

I just wish someone reputable would grade and slab wrappers, as I believe there is a large market for them, especially as I said, on the non-sports side.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sports_king_wrapper_front_black_sil.jpg (72.3 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 1936_overland_gehrig_front.jpg (70.1 KB, 159 views)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-16-2021, 03:29 PM
CJinPA CJinPA is offline
Carl
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I was watching that auction specifically for the wrappers!
Yes! The auction had some great wrappers, for sure. Baseball, football, Bowman, Topps, you name it. The collector who put these together did a nice job, for sure!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The worrying increase in Fake Gum Cards and Wrappers in the marketplace rdwyer Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 0 05-02-2016 02:40 PM
Recently won Keeler Portrait - Concerned Rayl Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 12 09-09-2014 12:37 AM
Should I be Concerned About This Holder? jlehma13 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 3 05-28-2014 04:43 PM
Original Coca-Cola Recipe?? Fake or Incredibly Fake... VintageGamerN00b Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 8 05-16-2013 02:17 PM
Just a Little Concerned About This..... Clutch-Hitter Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 100 06-14-2012 02:00 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 AM.


ebay GSB