NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-13-2020, 04:43 PM

David M. --- I love your 1962 Salada Mickey Mantle coin. I very well remember the first time I laid eyes on one in the spring of 1970. It was love at first sight. My friend gave it to me. Guess it did not mean that much to him, but it sure meant a lot to me, and I thanked him profusely. I think I still have it, though was able to buy the complete set several years later, or at least as complete as it was known in 1973, and in so doing upgraded the first Mantle I got. I never tire of looking at that gorgeous coin. Nice picture of our Mr. Mantle. Thanks again for sharing your joy, David. Happy collecting, bro. --- Brian Powell
Old 12-13-2020, 04:47 PM
James M.

John,

Those are some great looking Mantles. I love the 52 Bowman and 53 Topps especially. Both are on my list to pickup over the next few years. COVID brought back so many people to the Hobby, myself included. It was a blessing, and a curse with the amount that Vintage has gone through the roof. Regardless, I think most of us that came back to vintage at least, are in it for the long haul. Fantastic collection centered around the Mick!

- James

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:55 PM

Jonathan----You have a nice collection going there with Mick's fine gum cards. I sure wish you the best, bro. I like your mitts, too. Finally, welcome back to the immediate post-war collecting. Glad to have you back, bro!!!!!! Sounds like the 19th century cadre incurred a huge loss with your decision to return to our era. Wishing you the very best, and hope you're able to enjoy the hobby with your 12-year old son. That's terrific!

IF you and your son enjoy reading, a few years ago I wrote an E-book on a CD about the immediate post-war niche of collecting regional / food issues. Mr. Mantle is featured in a few chapters. As I so enjoyed your post, I would be happy to send you a complimentary copy. By some small chance, perhaps your son might find it amusing, even interesting. Simply send me your mailing address, Jonathan. You can reach me here or at my email address: bfpowell2003@yahoo.com. Understand, you will need a disk drive on your computer or laptop to read it. Just a friendly offer, bro; no strings attached. Have a swell day. --- Brian Powell
Old 12-13-2020, 08:00 PM
Emlily Ell.is

This is my first solo Mantle. I've had a couple of League Leader/Home Run/World Series type cards. But this is the first one of ONLY Mantle.

I went to DFW this weekend to do some Christmas shopping. I stopped into SMP because I had some bonus money to blow, and I hadn't opened anything in a long, long time.

I was eyeing some 2020 Topps Chrome for around $225/box because I like the brand and the look of the cards. But then I saw this in the case for $25 less. I know it was probably a big mistake passing up the Topps Chrome hobby box because it probably had a $1k card in it.

But I'm happy with the purchase.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:01 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
This is my first solo Mantle. I've had a couple of League Leader/Home Run/World Series type cards. But this is the first one of ONLY Mantle.

I went to DFW this weekend to do some Christmas shopping. I stopped into SMP because I had some bonus money to blow, and I hadn't opened anything in a long, long time.

I was eyeing some 2020 Topps Chrome for around $225/box because I like the brand and the look of the cards. But then I saw this in the case for $25 less. I know it was probably a big mistake passing up the Topps Chrome hobby box because it probably had a $1k card in it.

But I'm happy with the purchase.

You made a wise choice...you can't go wrong with a Mantle! And that's a beautiful '4'!

Congratulations!!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 12-16-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:34 AM
Michael

Recently picked up the following items:

A Rawlings Mantle Fleetfoot baseball shoe box with Fleetfoot cleats. (I'm thinking if I cut my toes off I might be able to jam my feet into the cleats.)

Unopened Yoo-Hoo syrup bottle. (Now to refrain from opening it up to revel in the 60 year old chocolatey goodness inside.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201206_093402.jpg (71.4 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 1950s Shoe Box.jpg (67.2 KB, 259 views)
Old 12-20-2020, 01:55 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
David M. --- I love your 1962 Salada Mickey Mantle coin. I very well remember the first time I laid eyes on one in the spring of 1970. It was love at first sight. My friend gave it to me. Guess it did not mean that much to him, but it sure meant a lot to me, and I thanked him profusely. I think I still have it, though was able to buy the complete set several years later, or at least as complete as it was known in 1973, and in so doing upgraded the first Mantle I got. I never tire of looking at that gorgeous coin. Nice picture of our Mr. Mantle. Thanks again for sharing your joy, David. Happy collecting, bro. --- Brian Powell
Brian, it's great when something you post gets such a nice reaction. I'm glad it brought back such great memories for you! I've had the 1963 Salada Mantle for years but had always needed the 1963 version for completion. When it popped up on the B/S/T board, I didn't hesitate to grab it.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:32 PM

NEVER say 'last one this year' - like I did on 12/09.

1958 Topps 418- World Series Batting Foes- MICKEY MANTLE and HANK AARON.jpg

1964 Topps Coins 131- MICKEY MANTLE Left-Handed PSA-6.jpg1964 Topps Coins 131- MICKEY MANTLE Right-Handed.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-24-2020, 08:25 AM
Ben W.hitener

Sweet pickups Mike! Love the Yoo-hoo! I don't think i have ever seen one of that cap variety still on the bottle. Awesome!
Old 12-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Matt

Been a long while since last contribution here; wanted to share progress on the new Mantle passion that consumed my 2020— a signed run. Been trying to put great care into the selection of each piece, focusing on overall eye appeal.

What I love about signed vintage is how each piece is unique, based on the card someone brought to him that day, the pen used, where he signed on the card. All that and also how low the pop data is for each piece, it forces a collector to make sacrifices on certain attributes, compared to shopping for an unsigned card.

Hope my fellow Mantle collectors will enjoy...

The last photo is the best centered White Letter I've come across, so wanted to share that, too. All of us Mantle guys know how tough that one is.

Been re-reading The Last Boy over the holiday; great and moving read.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:41 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Been a long while since last contribution here; wanted to share progress on the new Mantle passion that consumed my 2020— a signed run. Been trying to put great care into the selection of each piece, focusing on overall eye appeal.

What I love about signed vintage is how each piece is unique, based on the card someone brought to him that day, the pen used, where he signed on the card. All that and also how low the pop data is for each piece, it forces a collector to make sacrifices on certain attributes, compared to shopping for an unsigned card.

The last photo is the best centered White Letter I've come across, so wanted to share that, too. All of us Mantle guys know how tough that one is.

Unbelievable collection!

Congrats.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:43 PM
Matthew

Quote:

Outstanding! You definitely have a great eye!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2020, 02:59 PM

Those Mics are amazing, if you twist my arm the 53 and 54 Bowman just pop for my eyes! Great collection!

Last edited by gustomania; 12-26-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:51 PM
James M.

Quote:

Dear Lord, that is impressive. Amazing project, and incredible progress!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:05 AM

Cheap, but cool-looking restaurant-opening promo:

1988 MICKEY MANTLE Resturant Opening Promo.jpg

Old 12-27-2020, 12:27 PM
Michael

Quote:

Matt, those are extremely enjoyable to see. Especially the early auto on the '52 Bowman. Exceptional auto collection.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:29 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
Sweet pickups Mike! Love the Yoo-hoo! I don't think i have ever seen one of that cap variety still on the bottle. Awesome!
Thanks Ben. Also, congratulations on your Top 10 ranking! If you ever want to drop a few positions and sell me some of your stuff, let me know.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:36 PM
Michael

Looks like I missed a few items from mid July to early August.

Nice 51 Yankees M114 Ben.

Love the '52 Tip Top, Jim. That's on my wantlist.

Howard, that's a great Bazooka box! Another item on my wantlist.

Larry, love the Dipsy Doodle bag. Haven't heard of that before. Also love the Post 10 box. That is yet another item on my wantlist.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:13 PM
Adam

Just picked this one up. I realize it’s nothing you all haven’t seen before, but I’m pretty pleased with the overall appearance for a 5. I would’ve like centering a little better, but given the corners and registration, I’m pretty darn happy with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16AE169F-4507-4877-8A6E-F4BC657D6BA2.jpg (9.8 KB, 860 views)

Tags
marked, mickey mantle topps