NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-29-2015, 11:45 AM
Andrew L@Vine

Default Need advice on authenticating photos

I recently made a purchase of what I believe to be 2 older/vintage photos. I am thinking the best thing to do is to send them in to PSA to get authenticated (determine if they are type 1's or not). I eventually plan on selling at least one of them, but am not 100%. Do you think it makes sense to "encapsulate" them via PSA, or to just get a LOA? Does PSA offer a simple LOA, or must they be encapsulated once authenticated? Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 12-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Bill Boyd

Drew,
The value is what may warrant an encapsulation. If you are going to sell, then a PSA authentication would not hurt, but it is not need. Most photo collection guys can judge the type just by looking at the photo. I suggest you get a copy of "A portrait of Baseball Photography", by Marshall Fogel, Khyber Oser and Henry Yee.
It will help you to determine your different types of photos, and aid you in future purchases.

In the meantime, here is a description of the different types.

Type 1 - First Generation photo, is developed from the original negative (during the period) or within two years of when the picture was taken.

Type 2- Is a First generation photo, developed from the original negative (during a later period), more than two years when the picture was taken.

Type 3- A second generation photo, developed from either a "duplicate negative" or a "wire transmission" with two years of when the picture was taken.
A "duplicate negative" is produced when someone takes a photo of an existing photograph, which creates a second negative that is a lesser quality of the original.

Type 4- A second generation (of third, or fourth generations) photo developed from a "duplicate negative" or a "wire transmission", more then two years of when the picture was taken.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Andrew L@Vine

Thank you Bill! So based on what you said, do you think something that is high value warrants encapsulation?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:16 PM

PSA no longer encapsulates photos. I believe the company's they were buying the plastic/ holder went out of business. They will give you the option of placing a sticker on the back of the photo or on the certification. If the photos have stamping on the back it is pretty easy to determine their type. Feel free to post front and back and members will be able to determine.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:07 PM

I do not see the need to get anything done. I would not pay to submit a photo, nor would I pay more because one had been submitted.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan4 View Post
Thank you Bill! So based on what you said, do you think something that is high value warrants encapsulation?
It all depends on the photo. Post front and back high res scan and there is a pretty good chance a type can be determined if there are definitive stamps. If it is an iconic"/"important photo" a Psa letter would definitely benefit In a major auction setting.
If you sell privately to a knowledgable collector or one who doesn't care, then obviously it wouldn't matter.
There is no doubt though(despite what Loa haters say), if it is a "blue chip" photo(type 1) A Psa letter would definitely benefit it in a major auction setting.

It is all about what the photo is really.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-29-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Remember that there is no price guide for photos. I have Babe Ruth type 1 photos in my collection but they are not iconic and they would be considered common and therefore not that valuable. I have found that many vintage photos are truly "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I watch sales results for photos and there are times that I cannot figure out why a photo was considered valuable or not valuable.

There are many knowledgeable members here...if you post the photos, I can guarantee you that you will get a lot of help.

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 12-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Andrew L@Vine

Thank you for everyone's feedback, I greatly appreciate it! The two photos in question are of Rube Foster and the 1936 East-West team photo. I haven't seen the back of the 1936 East West photo, but it looks like both items were previously consigned the Heritage Auctions 6 or so years ago.

Once I have the 1936 photo in hand, I will take a photo of the back and upload

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rube Foster 2.jpg (27.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Rube Foster 3.jpg (27.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Rube Foster 4.jpg (23.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 East West photo 1.jpg (51.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-30-2015, 05:38 PM

I am almost certain the Foster is no good. Not sure on the other one would have to see it. No photographer would ever emboss a photo they were going to glue on a cabinet, they had embossed cabinets (plus it looks like the embossing is in the photo and not actually raised). Thin photo paper required a cabinet backing, embossing was for thick photo paper. You would rarely find that combination together, plus it looks modern and glued to an older mount with pencil inscription on the back done in older handwriting style to deceive. I would never give an absolute without holding it in person, but I would find this item to be very likely a modern creation.

Rhys

Last edited by prewarsports; 12-30-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:16 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Both photos were indeed sold through Heritage previously, and have larger scans hosted on their site:

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/ci...umbnail-071515

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/19...umbnail-071515

To my eye, in looking at the larger scan of the Foster photo and per Heritage's description, the central photo is embossed. Mostly I'm just posting to point to the previous sales. I have no comment either way regarding mounting practices, but would not discount Rhys's opinion, as he has handled many many more mounted photos over the years than I have.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Andrew L@Vine

Thanks Rhys and Lance! I should have the photos in hand next week and will be better able to tell if the Foster is embossed or not. I have seen several other similar Foster photos that Bedou embossed, (I guess he was a big time Afro-American photographer who did a lot of photographs of Booker T. Washington, etc.) but unsure if this is a copy or not.

I suppose it makes even more sense now to send these in to PSA regardless to get an answer once and for all. The authentication prices seem rather reasonable.