NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Default Need help regarding fake T206

Posted By: Mark

Okay, so I'm new to the forum, but am knowledgable just the same. I've just purchased a T206 Evers (with bat) that has a black piedmont back (I know).

I told the seller about this and he wants proof. Interestingly, I can't find a single website (T206museum, etc) that actually SAYS Piedmonts are only in blue.

Isn't it ironic that this information doesn't actually exist, while we've clearly documented every hindu red!?

Anyway, does anyone know of anyplace that actually says that Piedmont backs are blue, always blue, never black (ANYTHING!?).

I think this guy is sincere, but doesn't seem to want to beleive he has purchased and now resold a fake.

He has good feedback, no private auctions or the like.

Can anyone help!?

Old 02-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff McKee

Hi Mark,
Look in the 2005 SCBC on pages 285&286 under Piedmont

Old 02-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

T206 Museum - Piedmont backs

Mark - there are sites in the Vintage Links page that could help you with the other cards. Try Old Cardboard or post scans here.

Bill

Old 02-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DizzyDean

Mark,

Is there any other aspect of the card that would indicate or suggest that it is not authentic?

Old 02-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

Let's look at everything first. If there is one thing that I have learned in my short pre-war stint as that everything is possible. Who says that there is not a black piedmont back out there. Just because someone doesn't have one doesn't mean that they don't exist. I'm open to everything when it comes to pre-war stuff. New cards are popping up all the time (well, not so much anymore) but it is always possible. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Yeah, there are some tell-tale signs. It's honestly a pretty good fake. I'm sure I could see the crosshatching if magnified, etc...but getting this guy to believe/understand that doesn't sound promising.

He sounds like if he can be convinced, that he will refund. Sending it to be authenticated (de-authenticated in this case) was suggested by the seller, but that puts me even MORE upside down on the card, and in the time it would take to get it back, I would be outside the time limits on filing a complaint.

Anyway, my main concern is that I can't find anywhere that anyone has stated the print color on Piedmonts. We all know it's blue, but I was shocked that I can't find that stated anywhere online!

I've checked all the boards and websites that I knew of and had already checked the one mentioned in this thread, but I don't find any statements about the Piedmont back print color being blue. If I could just point this guy to a place on-line, I think I'd be squared away. I might suggest having him log in to this website and soliciting responses. Maybe he would listen to someone other than myself, on such a specialized site.

-Mark.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

I own the domain T206.org - if you provide a high quality enough scan to demonstrate the guaranteed "fakeness" of this card I'd be glad to post a statement on the website about the standard color of the Piedmont backing. I dunno is this is viable for you, but I suppose it would work. You could also do the same with someone else who runs a T206 website of some form or another. Good luck getting your refund!

Old 02-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike P.

I have wondered the same thing myself, about black backed piedmonts. I was looking through T206.com and ran across a few cards that looked like they had black backs. Here is one example alng with an obvious blue back taken from the same site for comparison

Black? Dark Blue? Just a result of the scanner? or...?

Old 02-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike P.

Bumping once for anyone else who may have some insight as I am curious about this myself.