NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2022, 11:30 AM
James M.

Default What Dealers to look for at the National?

I'm attending my first National this year. This is something I've always wanted to experience since a kid, and thankfully, due to it's location in Atlantic City, it's becoming a reality.

I know many things, especially over the past few years, have changed. And to be quite honest looking at all the dealers, on the list I am a bit overwhelmed. Additionally, I know there are a few members of the forum, that are setting up shop at the National. In everyone's opinion, are there any dealers I should specifically go to? I always tend to favor the older, more experienced people at shows, the ones that have been setting up for decades. Partially for the cards but mostly to converse, and hear stories. Additionally please post below if you're setting up and what booth you'll be at, because I would like to drop by.

- James

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:01 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Lots of dealers on board here. I’m sure you’ll get some good feedback to your questions.

Number 1 is to have fun and take it all in.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:43 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Lots of dealers on board here. I’m sure you’ll get some good feedback to your questions.

Number 1 is to have fun and take it all in.
I'm sure it's going to be quite the spectacle. I'm very much looking forward to it.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:20 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I'm sure it's going to be quite the spectacle. I'm very much looking forward to it.
+1 Looking forward to it also. Be interesting to see what cards the board members picks up there.

I will be looking but not sure if I will be pulling the trigger on anything depending on what is there of course

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 06-20-2022, 03:37 PM

Jeff - If I go, will you say hello to me, even if I'm a low end collector ?
Old 06-20-2022, 06:01 PM

I have been to Nationals in Chicago and Cleveland but I assume AC will be similar. The size and scope of the room will be overwhelming and takes two full days to fully appreciate. Your mind will be scrambled by mid afternoon day one so day two is the day I tend by spend my money. One end of the room will be dominated by modern and the other end of the room will be vintage (Tobacco Row) although I found some interesting vintage stuff in some odd places. I find it helpful to have a couple specific things to look for… for me it is usually PSA graded T206 and mid 50s HOFers….and then expand on my second or third trip around the room. If a dealer is a jerk or dismissive simply move on as there are plenty of good guys to work with. And take lots of cash
Old 06-20-2022, 09:52 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Any good recommendations for dealers who specializes in different types of photos?
Snaps
Type 1s
Rppcs
Etc?

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 06-20-2022, 11:45 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Any good recommendations for dealers who specializes in different types of photos?
Snaps
Type 1s
Rppcs
Etc?
I will put in a plug for fellow board member and advertiser - Rhys Yeakley aka Prewar Sports aka RMY Auctions. He does have a good selection of photos each year. My collection/archives is very specific; original photos of U.S. Olympians. I can usually find one or two in his books that fill a slot.

If you look around you can usually find other dealers that have items, especially if they have binders or boxes of publications.

I see you are in PA. I would also recommend the Allentown Paper Show. The next one is October 1 and 2. I made it for the first time this year on April 30. I noticed a lots of sports photos at that show. I showed up 45 minutes before opening and the line was about 20 people. By 10 there were about 100 or so. I was there from 10 am to about 4 pm. There were more than a few sports dealers. I was able to pick up about 20 RPPCs that fit in my collection. It is still off the radar for most collectors though I did see a few who were looking for sports. Skipping the booths that you can tell have nothing that interest you makes it easy to see it all in one day. There is plenty of free parking. They have a food area in the building. Even better, the main fairgrounds building, which is about the length of a football field, is a farmer's market and has quite a few choices for food like sandwiches and baked goods. It is 50 yards away from the show building. It is located at the fairgrounds, just east of Muhlenberg University and west of Lehigh Valley Hospital. It only takes about 10 minutes from Rte 78.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 06-21-2022 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:57 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: What Dealers to look for at the National?

I usually start a dealer's roll call thread about a week before the show.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:12 AM

Default Dealers at the National

Don Hontz is one dealer I know that typically offers one of the finest array of vintage star cards in the room. Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, Matty, Young, Johnson, DiMaggio, Jackie Robinson, Aaron, Mantle, Mays, Koufax, Clemente, etc…..you name the star…..he has it. Incredible mix of T206s, Cracker Jacks, Goudeys, Exhibits, Topps & Bowmans for all sports and all eras. To the best of my knowledge, Don will be in Atlantic City. Check out his table….you won’t be disappointed.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 06-21-2022 at 06:13 AM.