NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Cain J.

Default Accidently sent a card worth a lot more than I ordered 3 times now!

First let me say I have always contacted the seller/auction house right away and returned the card. Has anyone had this happen before because its happened to me 3 times in less than 2 years? First time a SGC 50 Green Cobb I ordered a SGC 10. The next two I won't go into detail because it wouldn't be hard to figure out who accidentally sent the wrong card. Both were a very rare back in which the wrong card sent was easily worth 2 or 3 times as much as I paid. The funny thing is none of them have seemed very appreciative. Not sure if it hits the ego or they just kind of feel dumb for making the mistake. Either way being ethical has always paid off for me so I will remain that way as should all of us in this hobby.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:48 PM

In my humble opinion...
You said the word first...

"Wrong"!

It is what it is... I'd do what is "RiGHT!"... As You Have!!!

just my 2 pennies...

Last edited by irishdenny; 08-06-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Cain J.

Started this thread because I haven't heard many people speak of the issue. Is it just me? Or have you been on the other side and accidentally sent a card worth a lot more to someone? What happened?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:05 PM

Damn. I never heard of this happening once let alone three times. People are lucky you're a good guy. Must be the universe testing you.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Joe

Good for you Cain..."Doing the right thing is always the right thing".
Old 08-06-2015, 03:17 PM
je.sse @rnot

That's never happened to me. It does seem like it would be a rare occurrence and that you have defied the odds. I would expect a seller to very grateful in that situation, especially if you were the one to notify them.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:25 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I've only had this happen once, probably about 8 or 9 years ago. It was an eBay transaction and the eBay seller was T206holygrailcollector (or something like that). IDK if he is a board member or not? Anyway, I purchased a few T206 HOFers from him, all graded PSA 4. He mixed up my order and sent me sent me were worth a lot more than the cards I ordered. Anyway, I made him aware and returned the cards. He sent me the correct cards and a freebie.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:47 PM
Jay Cee

There are alot of card issues out there which are very simular. They say in business the shipping manager should be one of the smartest people in the company. This certainly holds true in the card hobby. How many people would know the difference between the 1907 Dietche Cobb and the 1908 Cobb. There is a difference in price too I imagine.

Last edited by BeanTown; 06-25-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:02 PM
S Gross

Actually happened to me from the seller side about a month ago. Sold a ~$100 T206 in a SGC holder. It was in a stack of mainly SGC, but a few PSA. I grabbed the sold SGC holder, and wrapped it in shipping form, card-boarded it up and shipped it out.

Less than a week later the buyer emails me saying he loved the SGC, but why did I send him a ~$200 PSA card ???!!! I must have grabbed both (being PSA much thinner), and sent them both.

Very lucky I was dealing with an honest buyer, for I would have never known --- unitl the PSA card sold, I couldn't find it

He sent it back, all's well that end's well

I think, or like to think, most hobbyist would do the same (in either direction).
Old 08-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Scott Maxell

PSA contacted me asking for my cc information so they could grade my cards. Turns out they attributed 3 cards worth a couple hundred dollars a piece to my account. I guess a guy with the same name as me sent them in. I guess if I had a cc on file or just played along and paid for grading , they would have shown up on my doorstep.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2015, 05:29 PM
David Kathman

I haven't had that specific thing happen, but about 10 years ago I bought a near-set of 1972 Topps excluding the high numbers on eBay. When I got it, the seller had accidentally included the high numbers as well, which were probably worth as much as the cards I had bought. I e-mailed him right away and sent back the high numbers in a separate box. The seller was very grateful and paid for my shipping costs.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Dave Johnson

I once had upper deck send me a random assortment of Hockey and Basketball redemptions in the same package as a golf redemption card I had.

The hockey and basketball auto cards were exceedingly high dollar. I called UD and they first off said "thank you" and then sent me a couple of golf autographs as a way of thanking me for my honesty.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:01 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by insccollectibles View Post
First let me say I have always contacted the seller/auction house right away and returned the card. Has anyone had this happen before because its happened to me 3 times in less than 2 years? First time a SGC 50 Green Cobb I ordered a SGC 10. The next two I won't go into detail because it wouldn't be hard to figure out who accidentally sent the wrong card. Both were a very rare back in which the wrong card sent was easily worth 2 or 3 times as much as I paid. The funny thing is none of them have seemed very appreciative. Not sure if it hits the ego or they just kind of feel dumb for making the mistake. Either way being ethical has always paid off for me so I will remain that way as should all of us in this hobby.
You're a better man than me idk what I'd do if I bought a Cobb SGC10 and got an SGC50

I've been sent the wrong cards before in a 2 HOF lot of T206s and let the seller know but a better graded card and a King Cobbery Green Portrait to boot!
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%

Last edited by Joshchisox08; 08-06-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Not with cards, although there's always the random "find" at retail or unexpected card that ends up in a large lot. Like finding a box of edge masters in K mart that was still shrink wrapped. Didn't scan as a box sale, but did scan with a per pack price that was about half what they were in card shops. Very strange since I don't think those were supposed to be retail. And a couple boxes of cello packs at the flea market. The seller was more liquidator than dealer, if a dealer closed he'd buy all or most of the stock. The boxes looked opened and messed with, and he said they'd been searched. And that the wax boxes from the same guy had been opened and sort of resealed. Bought a couple cello boxes and a wax box. Yep, cellos were messed with no stars on top, but way too many packs with the same cards on top. And fairly big names inside once opened. The wax had indeed been opened and resealed. with stacks of 20 cards all the same star. So 20 Kirby Puckett, 20 Tony Gwynn etc.

Recently I bought some 1800's stamped envelopes on ebay. three for $10, right about retail. Finally got around to identifying them to put in the collection or the for sale pile. which meant opening them to get a good look at the watermark. One of the envelopes had been used as storage by a collector probably quite some time ago. So three items fell out into my hand. One was pretty much trash, a strip of paper with halves of three cheap but really old Austrian stamps. (No, not bisects, just a strip off an envelope torn in half) but it was wrapped around two US stamps that were worth around $30 not a bad little find that obviously had been missed by several dealers and collectors.

Steve B
Old 08-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

There is another member here who ordered a Joe Mauer signed card and was sent a signed Mickey Mantle 8x10 instead.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Cain J.

My wife's analogy of the situations. "It's kind of like a guy meeting a beautiful married women, chatting for minute and watching her walk away."
Old 08-07-2015, 09:33 PM

Great timing...

Just 2 weeks ago I was sent stack of 1952 topps high numbers. While they were very nice cards, I still wanted the PSA King Kelly old judge I bought and was expecting.

The seller had myself and the purchaser of the 1952 topps cards (who got my Kelly) simply ship them to each other and reimbursed is for the shipping.

He was VERY appreciative and said he made an honest mistake with the mix up as he sells so many items.

.... And I've even done the same exact thing once when I had 50+ eBay auctions all close on the same day.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I just knew there was an underlying reason I like being 'small fish' in the industry. I try not to sell more than a dozen or so a week and no one has ever gotten the wrong one -although I just had to refund a PSA-8 '34 Goudey because I neglected to insure it and, evidently, the postal workers decided to play Dodge Ball with it being the ball. OUCH!

I do remember having the wrong card sent to me before, but I do not recall it being a high priced card and I hope I would remember more details if I had not been treated right.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-08-2015, 02:53 AM

Default Caino

you are a super stand up guy
Old 08-11-2015, 05:21 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Never be a hooker for a piece of cardboard.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Received the incorrect item twice, once it was a $2,000 baseball instead of a $900 one, and the other time it was a $5,000 cabinet photo instead of a $200 one. The cabinet photo thing was weird - the AH said they couldn't ship the correct photo to me until they received the one they sent by mistake, due to insurance rules. I could have said the same thing and then we would have had a catch-22 with me holding a slightly nicer item.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Jay Cee

Last edited by BeanTown; 08-12-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Wrong thread