NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2002, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Default You have GOT to be frigging kidding me!!!!!!

Posted By: TBob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1840160313

Now I have seen it all. Check the picture.

Old 06-29-2002, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jverri01

Man. UGLY. Only a 1 for surface? And THAT is when graded by AAA...

Old 06-29-2002, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hrbaker

Hey, you obviously have not heard of the super rare Whitman HOF Connect the Dots set! An historic treasure indeed!

Old 06-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john(z28jd)

a AAA 2.5 grade is fair+,that means they have 4 grades below good? ......just a side note,doesnt really matter value wise much but i think there should be a gd/vg grade for other companies because i think theres too much of a difference between good and very good grades.seems like alot of vintage cards would fall into that category. Thats what i originally thought this card was when i saw the 2.5 grade

Old 06-29-2002, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I agree with you, SGC and others need to have more distinction in the lower grades, specially for vintage cards. But then that would make way too much sense

Jay

Old 06-29-2002, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

about this guy, and AAA. There is no "Whitman" set, from that or any year; If that is Joe jackson, I'm Lou Gehrig. This guy has zero negative feedback!

Old 06-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1838763074

I just sent him an email letting him know that the picture is not Jackson, but Mitchell. Jackson is #5 on the same page (I have the guide and paid only $150 for it - yes, complete with all the "uncut sheets"). This "private auction" is up to $465 - I can promise you that anyone paying that much for that piece of crap would know that isn't Jackson's photo.

This is pure shill bidding - I wonder if ebay will do anything about it if notified?

Old 06-29-2002, 09:29 PM
Administrator

I am perfectly aware that this is a waste of my time, so need to remind me - it still is therapeutic to yell at ebay customer no-support.

I didn't know how to categorize this problem, but the seller is shill bidding. This item is a picture cut out of a magazine, and is not even the player that the person claims it to be. The entire book is only worth about $125, and this "private auction" is now up to $465. I can promise you that anyone bidding that much for this item would recognize that the photo is not Shoeless Joe Jackson. The cut out picture is Mitchell, not Jackson. Jackson is also on the page, but he is #5, not #3.

A lot of sellers of high-end vintage baseball memorabilia are moving away from ebay because their is absolutely no enforcement of fraud by you - please show us that you really do care about preserving the integrity of your auctions and get rid of this loser.

I am also posting this complaint on our vintage baseball chatboard and challenge you to give me something positive to post there about ebay - up until now we have had absolutely no positive actions taken by you on any of our complaints, which have included: improper item categorization, obvious forgeries not listed as such, blatant shill bidding,etc.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 06-30-2002, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I find it hard to beleive that the bidding on the 'Jackson' item is legitimate (high bid as I type is $465). Even if the high bidder knew nothing about baseball cards and memorabilia, there would have to be mental health issues at play for someone to place a sincere bid of $465 on that item.

Old 06-30-2002, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

He could just be running up the prices in order to use it as examples as what these cards go for and hopes he can get the same amount in a legitimate auctions,or even selling them offline.....if it is a real bid the person is getting what they deserve....i wonder if AAA will grade parts of cards? i could cut up a T206 into 8 pieces and get at least 1-2 10's out of it if i cut good enough and make some good money that way. I'll probably try it out on one of my ed reulbach's just to see if they will do it

Old 06-30-2002, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

as if anyone couldnt tell the above post was made by me,thought i put the name in

Old 06-30-2002, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Old 06-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

scott is right
i saw an anonymous post that made sense and took credit for it

Old 06-30-2002, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Kind of like quickly repeating the correct answer after the contestant on Jeopardy to make it look like you know the answer.

The technique that I have found effective in laying claim to good material is to cry plagurism. That's how I got credit for two of my better books, 'The Great Gatsby' and 'The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin'