NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-09-2007, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Default E94 and E98 colors

Posted By: Dave F

Unfortunately even though these are two terrific looking sets I am not up to speed on either. Do the color variations bring any extra value to a the cards in general? Is there a basic theme for each set where you could name off the colors from most common to least?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

Only limited encounters with E98s, but it seems the orange are most abundant and red are most 'rare', although I don't think there is a huge difference in price between the colors. Green and blue are in between.

Personally, I like the orange the best.

Rob

Old 09-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc

Has anyone ever seen E98 reprints? Do they exist? I recently bought two E98 cards of Fred Clarke (Green) and "Miner" Brown (Orange) for $98 at a local auction. However, these are the first I've ever seen in person and I can't be quite sure if they are legit or not? They look legit to someone like myself, but how would I know? To top it off, they were graded by arrowgrade.com. After all the contraversy with Frank Garro, I just don't know what to think? I went ahead and removed them from the arrowgrade slabs (more like thin album pages quality) and I'm now thinking of sending them to PSA to find out for sure. I would scan them on my computer to show them, but my computer only has a 6gb hard drive and I had to remove my scanner software to free up disk storage space just to keep my computer working until I get my new upgraded hard drive in the mail. To make a long story short, I just wanted to know if anyone knew of E98 reprints and if there was a website that contained pictures of them so I could compare my cards. If there are indeed reprints, maybe someone could shed some info to me on what I need to look for when comparing.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't remember seeing E98's specifically reprinted but I am sure some exist. Basically, the lithography should be rather sharp and not grainy. The surfaces shouldn't be uniform shiny. That would be bad. There should be uneven patina on real cards. That is what is very hard to fake. The paper itself should feel sort of smooth...like 90 year old paper should (though if you haven't handled other vintage cards you might not know). Under magnification there shouldn't be any dot pattern in the white borders. Here are a few larger scans of real ones to compare...Hope this helps a little bit...

Old 09-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc

Leon, thank you soo much! After comparing my cards with your cards, they look the same with everything you described. I noticed that my Clark is just a tad taller than my Brown. The Brown is kind of cut at a very slight angle instead of a perfect 90 degrees. The paper, font and everything matches yours. I'm going to send them in to PSA whenever I get a chance to.