NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Ted Williams and Stan Musial....why are they missing in certain sets ?

In a recent thread, the topic of discussion why Ted Williams and Stan Musial are included in certain major BB card sets, but not in others.
Back in the mid-1980's, when I was completing sets, this "mystery" sparked my curiosity, and I wrote an article about it.
Let's see what I recall. So, we'll start with 1941, the 1st year that both Stan and Ted were playing in the Major Leagues.

1941….Stan Musial's Major League debut was September 17, 1941. Just a couple of months after GUM, Inc. printed their PLAY BALL Hi #
series (#49 - 72), which was issued circa late Summer 1941.

1940's Exhibits

. .

1947 BOND BREAD

1948 BOWMAN........ no Ted Williams

1949 LEAF

. .

1949 BOWMAN........ no Ted Williams

1950 BOWMAN........ no Stan Musial

1951 BOWMAN........ no Stan Musial

1952 BOWMAN……….Ted Williams reported to Flight school at the Willow Grove (Pennsylvania) Naval Air Base for Jet aircraft training
before seeing action in Korea (1952 - 1953). See 1959 FLEER cards

1953 BOWMAN........ no Ted Williams

1954 BOWMAN.…….True story: Sy Berger (TOPPS executive) was an avid Ted Williams fan. Circa late 1953, in the design of the 1954 TOPPS set,
they designed the 1st and last cards featuring Ted Williams. When BOWMAN issued their 1st series of 1954 cards with Ted, Berger sued BOWMAN.
Forcing BOWMAN to discontinue printing their card of Ted. They replaced Ted's image with Jim Piersall for card #66 on their 32-card printing plate.
Speaking of "printing plates", stay tuned for the rest of this story in a subsequent post here. You'll find it very interesting.

1954 TOPPS > > 1958 TOPPS (Lo #s)........ only Ted Williams

1958 TOPPS…. Finally, TOPPS featured Stan Musial in their All-Star series (Hi # s)

1959 TOPPS Stan Musial....but, no Ted Williams

1959 FLEER……. I'll relate an interesting story regarding this set, as told to me in a personal conversation with Ted Williams (circa 1985 in Cooperstown).
Stay tuned here.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 06-21-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

52 Berk Ross -- both.
Weren't both in 52 Red Man?
54RH Musial only
54WF Ted only
60F Ted only
60T Musial only

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:16 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I guess I don't consider the 1952 Berk-Ross a major set.

Yes, everyone is in it, including Joe DiMaggio who did not give them permission to print his image.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 PM

I've always found it interesting that when Williams appeared in a Topps se6 or a Bowman sett, Musial did not appear in either Topps or Bowman. And vice versa. I have no explanation for this. I also don't understand why there is no 1958 Topps regular issue of Musial. They obviously had the right to print his card since he appears in the All Star subset. Why not print a regular issue card too?
Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's interesting that with the relatively few cards he has, and his obviously elite numbers, and his likeability, Musial cards tend to command so few $$$$ outside his 48 Leaf.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:47 PM
Bob Andrews

Here is the '59 Stan The Man

edited to add...that red-billed cap was last sworn in 1955 if Dressed To The Nines is to be believed.

Last edited by commishbob; 05-20-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:01 AM
Albert Bee

Default ted stan

Ted,
I recall..you recall telling a story of finding multiple 54B T Williams cards in one pack ….?? Is that right ?
Old 05-21-2019, 06:20 AM
Larry Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I've always found it interesting that when Williams appeared in a Topps se6 or a Bowman sett, Musial did not appear in either Topps or Bowman. And vice versa. I have no explanation for this. I also don't understand why there is no 1958 Topps regular issue of Musial. They obviously had the right to print his card since he appears in the All Star subset. Why not print a regular issue card too?
Clearly they are the same person
Old 05-21-2019, 06:56 AM
Al Richter

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE...nt10S.O6WvQW8-
Old 05-21-2019, 08:11 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
Ted,
I recall..you recall telling a story of finding multiple 54B T Williams cards in one pack ….?? Is that right ?
Hi Albert

This is true......in the 1980's, Larry Fritsch (well-known veteran dealer/collector) set up a Baseball card museum displaying his collection in Cooperstown, NY.
During our annual visit to Cooperstown on HOF weekend, we visited with Larry back then. He was an amazing resource of BB card knowledge and trivia. And,
he told us when he was a teenager in 1954, he recalled opening up a Bowman 5-cent pack and was quite surprised to find 5 cards of Ted Williams.

Apparently, the Bowman Co. was quickly "dumping" their Williams cards in response to the Topps law suit.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 05-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Ted Zanidakis

For my story regarding the 1954 BOWMAN Ted Williams card refer to..... http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=269275

TED Z
Old 05-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Mike Oberl@nder

Default Don't forget the Star-cal Decals

Don't forget these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg musial starcal.jpg (17.0 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg musial2 starcal.jpg (24.7 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg williams 71-c starcal.jpg (15.1 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg williams 71-b starcal.jpg (28.6 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg williams 85-a starcal.jpg (44.8 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg musial 93-a starcal.jpg (17.7 KB, 307 views)
Old 05-23-2019, 05:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

No Musial in '58 Topps? Good question.

Ted- Nice info....thanks again for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Old 05-23-2019, 08:31 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
No Musial in '58 Topps? Good question.

Ted- Nice info....thanks again for sharing!
No base card, but he does have an All Star card.
(apologies if this was mentioned already)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I recall reading that Topps did not acquire rights to produce Musial cards until the middle of the 1958 season, so they made an All Star card to take advantage of it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Anthψny N. ex

No Jackie Robinson in 1951 in any issue. Never found a reason why.
Sure wish he'd been in '53 Bowman Color, but Topps had him locked down by then.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I recall reading that Topps did not acquire rights to produce Musial cards until the middle of the 1958 season, so they made an All Star card to take advantage of it.
That's my recollection as well; i.e. that the presses had already run on the lower series cards. Maybe they could have printed a regular card as #145, which was never issued, and included it on the high series sheet in place of one of the triple-printed Musial AS cards, although maybe they thought that would be confusing. Then again maybe Stan only allowed permission for use of one photo. Interesting question.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:16 PM
Al Richter

Although card 145 was not issued, and I am not aware of any proofs or prototypes for the intended card, it is listed as Ed Bouche on the checklist of the Senators team card in the set . Bouche had been suspended from baseball in 1958 after morals charges were made against him. Since his name was check listed to that number on a card in the set, using it for Musial may have been a non starter
Old 07-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Ted Zanidakis

We need some more meaningful BB card related threads on Page #1, so let's continue this former interesting and informative thread.

Three shades of blue on these 1949 LEAF Stan Musial cards.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 07-09-2019, 10:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Maybe it's just the scan but this appears to be a slightly different shade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg musial48.jpg (75.7 KB, 134 views)

Old 07-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
That's my recollection as well; i.e. that the presses had already run on the lower series cards. Maybe they could have printed a regular card as #145, which was never issued, and included it on the high series sheet in place of one of the triple-printed Musial AS cards, although maybe they thought that would be confusing. Then again maybe Stan only allowed permission for use of one photo. Interesting question.
That's one of my pet peeves about the 58 set. Topps could have issued #145 Musial.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:58 PM
David Kathman

The 6th series of 1958 Topps baseball came out in early July 1958. When Lionel Carter had a gathering of collectors at his house on July 9, 1958, Bob Solon (who was a part-time dealer as well as a collector) had just visited his wholesaler and brought a bunch of Series 6 cards, including the Musial AS card, which he gave out to whoever needed them. See this post:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=227505

According to Buck Barker's account in the September-October 1958 Sport Fan (shown in the post above), someone at the gathering wondered why Topps didn't issue #145 in the set now that Ed Bouchee had been reinstated. Barker suggested that collectors should write to Topps asking them to do that, though he appears to have been suggesting that they should make #145 the originally planned card of Bouchee, rather than a Musial.