NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-15-2016, 06:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

Great player ? Probably, although just how great will be debated just like every other great player.

Great guy? Ummm......no.

A bit more fuel for the discussion
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/...V0D?li=BBnb7Kz

Steve B
Old 04-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Great player ? Probably, although just how great will be debated just like every other great player.

Great guy? Ummm......no.

Steve B
He's no doubt in the top 10 greatest. He was a asshole but so was Jordan. Some dudes are just that competitive.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:40 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Great guy? Ummm......no.

Steve B
Big deal Adidas suck and Nike is strict about those under contract not signing anything but Nike. MJ won't touch anything but Nike he caused the big stir with Reebok warmups during DT gold medal presentation. And Swaggy did get a signed pair of Nikes. Hell Brady won't sign anything NOT Under Armour, does that tarnish his golden image. Kobe is a competitive beast that spilled him onto the Ahole side, so what? He wanted to win..at least he didn't cheat in his craft to win trophys like some. This dumping the Adidas was in fun so lighten up. Your hate is noted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtEP54CZ6Wg
Old 04-16-2016, 12:03 AM
mi.ke-w0.ng

road KB8 rook
Attached Images
File Type: jpg akb.JPG (76.7 KB, 174 views)
Old 04-16-2016, 12:19 AM
mi.ke-w0.ng

KB8 rook wrmup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (26.4 KB, 172 views)
Old 04-16-2016, 08:19 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFarino View Post
He's no doubt in the top 10 greatest. He was a asshole but so was Jordan. Some dudes are just that competitive.
I love how you try and compare Jordan and Bryant as human beings. There is no comparison other than being well, human beings.That is, from what we have been exposed to. RAPE is not equal to extra marital affairs. Lovi g you parents deeply is not the same as not talking to your parents. The list goes on.
That said, I guess I did bring mj into the comparison earlier.
Either way, glad Kobe is done so kids an start cheering for better role models(hopefully). Curry, so far, is a pretty good man on and off the court.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 04-16-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:32 AM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Sat behind Laker bench during a game in 2011. It was my son Kobe's first ever NBA game. We were later able to procure this actual jersey. Photomatch via our own pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lakers 299.jpg (36.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg lakers 302.jpg (31.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg lakers 272.jpg (45.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg worthy 001.jpg (42.4 KB, 153 views)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
I love how you try and compare Jordan and Bryant as human beings. There is no comparison other than being well, human beings.That is, from what we have been exposed to. RAPE is not equal to extra marital affairs. Lovi g you parents deeply is not the same as not talking to your parents. The list goes on.
That said, I guess I did bring mj into the comparison earlier.
Either way, glad Kobe is done so kids an start cheering for better role models(hopefully). Curry, so far, is a pretty good man on and off the court.
Agree about curry...he seems to be a pretty down to earth guy
Old 04-16-2016, 11:37 AM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Hate or love him, Kobe has his place in NBA history. Last 3 years really blah but overall a fine NBA career. IN 15-20 years he will be mentioned as a great much how Ali is now. Ali was lambasted up and down during his boxing years and now looked kindly on. Dude was never convicted and it was DA's doing to drop the case. The girl refused to testify upon reflecting upon that night. Don't make her to be a angel she aint no nun fosho. If all the knocks on him is this dropped case then its all bout da hate,,, nothing more. Argument about him being a hypocrite? I don't see it in all honesty he was a true arrogant aHOLe from year 3 on and never let up. So he stayed true to that. He doesn't deserve any citizenship honors but lets face it dude had game. I'm looking upon him as a iconic player and what he brought to the court and to the game. Majority of these posts has nothing to do with what he brought to the game of BBall just something that happened and dropped 12 years ago. Haters hang onto that cuz that is all you got.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:52 AM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
First off, Kobe Bryant is an excellent (perhaps all-time great) player. He just had probably the greatest final game in the history of pro sports, when only considering the individual performance. It was a great way to go out, although personally, I prefer the way Peyton Manning and John Elway went out in their last games.

That being said, it does make one wonder, where was Kobe the rest of the season. The Lakers finished the season 17-65. Last season, they were 21-61. They year before that, 27-55 (each season worse that the previous) Where was Kobe? One could wonder if he was simply saving himself for the final bow; that he was mailing it in the entire season...that he didn't care. He should have been elevating his teammates' performances, so that they could all feed off each-other.

That leads me to the biggest problem I have with Bryant on the court; that he is not a Leader. He does not, and never has, made any of his teammates better. He was/is all about himself. Michael Jordan, as great as he was individually, made his teammates better. Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, Dennis Rodman, et al...became better playing with MJ. The San Antonio Spurs.....they get players who sacrifice for the TEAM; they make each-other better; and as a result, they win Championships!

Kobe Bryant is also the #1 reason Shaquille O'Neal left the Lakers! Kobe drove him away. Kobe couldn't handle having any teammate who competed with him for individual supremacy. Kobe didn't care about the TEAM! If Kobe would have worked with Shaq, each of them feeding off each-other, there is no telling how many championships the Lakers would have won! Instead, Shaq left, and the Lakers declined into an absolute laughing-stock.

Anyway, Kobe Bryant is now done, and the Lakers can get on with building a team that truly deserves to wear the purple and gold!

Steve
Steve, Kobe was a big part of Shaq's departure but not the whole reason. Shaq was in contract year and a demanded a enormous figure and would not budge on it. Diesel even went public ridiculing Dr.Buss for not having contract finalized. Kobe was also a free agent that same summer. Put yourself in Dr.Buss's shoes do you sign a older player at MAX dollars and limit yourself to a younger FA? So to say Shaq left for the sole reason of Kobe beef is not 100% accurate. Shaq would have stayed if $$$ were on the table but to give him that kind of loot and also trying to sign Kobe at max dollars made that difficult.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:13 PM
qu@n nguy3n

probably the first and hopefully be the last time someone compares kobe to ali.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:57 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

you totally interpreted this wrong. It is a fact that Ali was hated during his fighting days and became more of an iconic figure later in life. Leave your hate aside.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymao34 View Post
you totally interpreted this wrong. It is a fact that Ali was hated during his fighting days and became more of an iconic figure later in life. Leave your hate aside.
He interpreted it perfectly.

Ali was disliked for things he stood for. Kobe stands for nothing but himself. Kobe is disliked for justified reasons.
This "hater" stuff is crap. I would suggest you let go of being a fan boy of such men.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:21 PM

Fan boy. I love it!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Banned

Im not a fan of kobe off the court but what he did in regards to basketball was phenomenal. He was the lakers and there hasnt been anyone like him since Jordan. Either way as far as his basketball career he's definitely a Top 10 player of all time. He had millions of fans most who were kids and regardless of his selfish attitude they looked up to him because his playing ability which is what most players wish for

Last edited by JoeyFarino; 04-16-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Im not a fan of kobe off the court but what he did in regards to basketball was phenomenal. He was the lakers and there hasnt been anyone like him since Jordan. Either way as far as his basketball career he's definitely a Top 10 player of all time. He had millions of fans most who were kids and regardless of his selfish attitude they looked up to him because his playing ability which is what most players wish for
You have stated the same thing.

The point is, he is put in a position for kids to look up to and failed miserably. They should not look up to someone like him.
He certainly shouldn't be heralded and defended by "adults".

Old 04-16-2016, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:

The point is, he is put in a position for kids to look up to and failed miserably. They should not look up to someone like him.
Thats YOUR opinion and other people can have theirs. Let me guess you hate Michael Jackson too

Last edited by JoeyFarino; 04-16-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Thats YOUR opinion and other people can have theirs. Let me guess you hate Michael Jackson too
It sure is. It doesn't surprise me where you stand on the issue Joey Forino.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

He may have BUT millions of kids idolize him and probably have no clue about his past since it was never brought to trial and settled out of court.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
It sure is. It doesn't surprise me where you stand on the issue Joey Forino.
Lol....that was a dumbass statement and im not surprised it came out of your dumbass mouth. I NEVER said what he did was okay at all. I stated everything based solely on his playing ability but you wanna be a douche and get personal just because you have a hard on for kobe..smh

Last edited by JoeyFarino; 04-16-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Lol....that was a dumbass statement and im not surprised it came out of your dumbass mouth. I NEVER said what he did was okay at all. I stated everything based solely on his playing ability but you wanna be a douche and get personal just because you have a hard on for kobe..smh
My dumbass mouth? Wow. Why are you still allowed on this board is beyond me. You are what is bad with this hobby.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
My dumbass mouth? Wow. Why are you still allowed on this board is beyond me. You are what is bad with this hobby.

Oh god quit crying!
Old 04-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Oh god quit crying!
You and Kobe do have something in common Joey! Please retire from collecting and do everyone a favor. It would be good for you too I am sure.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
You and Kobe do have something in common Joey! Please retire from collecting and do everyone a favor. It would be good for you too I am sure.
Lol....ben the fact that you turned this into something personal when everyone was debating about kobe shows what a baby you are. Do me a favor and Piss off (british accent). JOEY OUT!

Last edited by JoeyFarino; 04-16-2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-16-2016, 09:26 PM
David Hernandez
Banned

Quote:
He interpreted it perfectly.

Ali was disliked for things he stood for. Kobe stands for nothing but himself. Kobe is disliked for justified reasons.
This "hater" stuff is crap. I would suggest you let go of being a fan boy of such men.
Not taking sides but was just looking at your FB store page and you apparently know what it is to be a Fan Boy,, an Ali Fan Boy. And by the way he was hated by many for being arrogant and a Big mouth in the day aka The Mouth. His saint like status came years later (and helped by promotions via Upperdeck and $$$ generated) as stated by the previous poster.

Last edited by dhernandez; 04-16-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Lol....ben the fact that you turned this into something personal when everyone was debating about kobe shows what a baby you are. Do me a favor and Piss off (british accent). JOEY OUT!
Bye..

Old 04-16-2016, 10:03 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhernandez View Post
Not taking sides but was just looking at your FB store page and you apparently know what it is to be a Fan Boy,, an Ali Fan Boy. And by the way he was hated by many for being arrogant and a Big mouth in the day aka The Mouth. His saint like status came years later (and helped by promotions via Upperdeck and $$$ generated) as stated by the previous poster.
Umm.. Ok. Looking at your favorite teams and location, completely objective for sure. No picking sides. Got it. yikes. Apparently we have different definitions of fan boy. We also Disagee on comparing Kobe and Ali(ridiculous). Mr. Forino, meet Mr. Hernandez. Mr. Hernandez, meet Mr. Farino.
My hands are now clean.

Thanks for looking at my FB page!

Last edited by Forever Young; 04-16-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Umm.. Ok. Looking at your favorite teams and location, completely objective for sure. No picking sides. Got it. yikes. Apparently we have different definitions of fan boy. We also Disagee on comparing Kobe and Ali(ridiculous). Mr. Forino, meet Mr. Hernandez. Mr. Hernandez, meet Mr. Farino.
My hands are now clean.

Ben you just dont quit. I know you love being a douche but dont u ever take a break. Everything coming out of your mouth is sh&t. Now go change your panties since u like acting like a little girl

Last edited by JoeyFarino; 04-16-2016 at 11:18 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-17-2016, 12:04 AM
David Hernandez
Banned

Quote:
My hands are now clean.

You are welcome! Looking further at your FB page you note that you have OJ Simpson pics in your collection and you give him some props. Glad to see that you are ok with murder and ok with collecting athletes that have been accused of murder. But in your book a supposed rape is worse than a supposed murder. And you did note that OJ was a fine athlete and I would say Kobe is also a outstanding athlete; that is what this thread was intended to be about, the person as a athlete. But you pick and choose who to cross personal life with the athletic ability of the person of topic of this thread. Thank you for being non biased!
Old 04-17-2016, 03:00 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Man, I'm just trying to admire the OP's incredible Kobe collection...fantastic stuff!

I was lucky enough to make it to Kobe's Chicago farewell. Had a blast. No doubt he's not the same player he was in his prime, but who is?? Look how bad Peyton Manning sucked this past season, including the Super Bowl...Father Time still undefeated.

And regarding the rape allegations, Manning is also a good comparison. His incident with the trainer at Tennessee definitely taints (no pun intended) his legacy. Of course, Manning superfans will note he was never convicted, that it wasn't actual sex, that it was just a prank, that the accuser had issues, etc.

Going back to the Mamba, he and Duncan are the two greatest of their era. Kobe's last game was epic...I wasn't seeing any lack of D from the Jazz. What I did see was the Lakers wanting Kobe to take a ton of shots, which obviously helped him rack up his points. Still, show me even 10 other players in the league today who could get to 60 in those same circumstances and one EVER who could do it at 37 years old.

There is a reason nearly every young NBA star idolized Kobe growing up. There is only one Mamba, absolutely one of the greatest players ever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 04-17-2016, 05:25 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Ben you just dont quit. I know you love being a douche but dont u ever take a break. Everything coming out of your mouth is sh&t. Now go change your panties since u like acting like a little girl
I thought you were leaving? What a wonderful, well thought out and stable post. The board was so nice for an hour.

Last edited by Forever Young; 04-17-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:26 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhernandez View Post
You are welcome! Looking further at your FB page you note that you have OJ Simpson pics in your collection and you give him some props. Glad to see that you are ok with murder and ok with collecting athletes that have been accused of murder. But in your book a supposed rape is worse than a supposed murder. And you did note that OJ was a fine athlete and I would say Kobe is also a outstanding athlete; that is what this thread was intended to be about, the person as a athlete. But you pick and choose who to cross personal life with the athletic ability of the person of topic of this thread. Thank you for being non biased!
I would agree with the athlete part and believe I stated that about Kobe. There is no denying that. My posts here are directed to those celebrating lhim as a hero. The oj post, if memory serves me right, was more of a post on history and our society. It is you who are crossing the two. ??
All of this said, Kobe was a great basketball player. We can agree on that. We can also agree that the thread should be about Kobe(good or bad), not about childish name calling behind a computer.
Like Kobe.. Love Kobe. Whatever you want. It's a free country(for now.. h I(and many people on this thread seem to agree)look at Kobe in a different light. That's all.
Again, thanks for taking the time to look at my Facebook page!

Last edited by Forever Young; 04-17-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:30 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymao34 View Post
Big deal Adidas suck and Nike is strict about those under contract not signing anything but Nike. MJ won't touch anything but Nike he caused the big stir with Reebok warmups during DT gold medal presentation. And Swaggy did get a signed pair of Nikes. Hell Brady won't sign anything NOT Under Armour, does that tarnish his golden image. Kobe is a competitive beast that spilled him onto the Ahole side, so what? He wanted to win..at least he didn't cheat in his craft to win trophys like some. This dumping the Adidas was in fun so lighten up. Your hate is noted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtEP54CZ6Wg
No hate, just an opinion that he could have been a bit more polite to a team member.

And if you read the article, swappy or whatever the heck the guy is called didn't get signed Nikes, he got a signed box score.

I will give the other guy some credit for being cool about it on what was really Kobes night. Any other time it might be different?

The quality or lack of quality of the shoes doesn't matter at all. And for the record, both brands are massively overrated and overpriced. (Ok, maybe a bit of hate there, but really, no sneaker is worth 200+ unless .......nah, lets not get into who wears then to your house to deliver them )

Steve B
Old 04-17-2016, 09:36 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Forget the article .. Says it right there at 1 min mark in video when asked what he got signed "yeah he signed some Nikes"
Old 04-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

Ah, ok. First time I watched I heard it more like " yeah he signed .....umm....He said somebody go get some Nikes I'm not signing any Adidas" Which seemed more like saying he got something signed but not really saying what.

Second time through, yeah, maybe he did get some Nikes.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Kobe is/was a great basketball player. As a person, he doesn't seem quite as great.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:11 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

52k each ..wow. pretty amazing for regular season jerseys

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/4...-LOT36473.aspx

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/3...-LOT36466.aspx