NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default yepbg

no one knows how many cards he sold
probably 90% of the cards he sold werent really sold
he pays the ebay fee consigns his stuff to major auctions and they can advertise what the last one sold for x....im not saying he does that but that scam has been going on forever with baseball stuff
Old 09-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
He likely sold only two cards over the last 15 days because he had many fewer cards listed due to ebay not having any current free listing offers available to him during that time frame. However, he has sold 114 items over the last 60 days, or approximately 2 per day. If this is what he wants to do with his time, then I guess this model does work for him(or he would lower his "list" prices to stimulate more than two sales a day). The total "asking price" on those 114 listings sold was $17065, so hypothetically if he accepted all of his offers at 2/3 rds of the asking price, over two months, that is over $11k in income. Maybe he is comfortable with that amount of income every two months.
He had over 10,000 completed listings over the past 15 days. Two of his most expensive 2000 cards sold during that period. That's two. 1, 2. Of over 2000. The total sales price for these two cards was under 3K I believe.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
He had over 10,000 completed listings over the past 15 days. Two of his most expensive 2000 cards sold during that period. That's two. 1, 2. Of over 2000. The total sales price for these two cards was under 3K I believe.
It must have been good month and a half of sales for him as he sold 112 cards in the 45 day period prior to the most recent 15 day period
Old 09-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
It must have been good month and a half of sales for him as he sold 112 cards in the 45 day period prior to the most recent 15 day period
You're either him or you're insane. Or both. He may have sold 112 cards but he sells 1 out of every 1000 of his most expensive cards during any 15 day period. And I'm going down to $450 cards. Which means the bulk of the cards he's selling are for a couple hundred bucks. He can obviously do what he wants but I can also point out that he's an idiot.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

If he sold I of 1000, he knows he sold I of 1000. You are judging him an idiot by a yardstick that may not be applicable.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

He sells 1 of 1000 cards in a venue which is solely for selling. He's an idiot.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 AM
Rob

The guy is asking too much money for his toys. That does not qualify him as an idiot. He is not selling overpriced gasoline, food, or water to hurricane victims. (hoping to get a lower price on the red border Colgan's chips)...
Old 09-19-2013, 04:40 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
You're either him or you're insane. Or both. He may have sold 112 cards but he sells 1 out of every 1000 of his most expensive cards during any 15 day period. And I'm going down to $450 cards. Which means the bulk of the cards he's selling are for a couple hundred bucks. He can obviously do what he wants but I can also point out that he's an idiot.
I am actually neither.....while his selling model is fairly unique, it works for him or he would not continue with it(obviously). Unlike most sellers, making money through volume of sales may not be his goal.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 09-19-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
He is not selling overpriced gasoline, food, or water to hurricane victims.
Nope....he is selling overpriced baseball cards. You can insert the blank and use whatever metaphor you want. Call it what you want, these aren't rare commodities. This ain't the Mona Lisa! Even the rare T206 Honus Wagner has around 30 or so! Wonder what old yebg would sell one for if he gets his hands on one?? I can picture him doing the Dr. Evil pose and saying "One Billion Dollars!"

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 09-19-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 09-19-2013, 05:43 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

What makes some of you guys think that his business model is working for him? Just because he keeps doing the same thing over and over? That doesn't mean that it's working. After all, isn't that the definition of insanity - to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result every time?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
What makes some of you guys think that his business model is working for him? Just because he keeps doing the same thing over and over? That doesn't mean that it's working. After all, isn't that the definition of insanity - to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result every time?
OBVIOUSLY his business model works, what are you talking about? Of his most recent 7000 auctions which have closed (I stopped counting at 7000), a grand total of ZERO sold! And many of these cards were listed as $25 BINs with free shipping. Brilliant business model.

EDITED TO ADD: over the last 9 days, he sold 2 items. That's 10,000 auctions with free shipping. 2 cheap items sold. He basically clogs the ebay categories with overpriced cards (even at $25) which no one buys. He's so smart that the next thing I expect him to do is hand me a business card that says, "Acme Baseball Card Store."

Last edited by calvindog; 09-19-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Just a guess, but I would guess he knows that if he lowered his prices more cards would sell. Then again somehow that might be escaping him.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Todd Schultz

Actually, I can tell you he has lowered his prices in the past couple of days, at least on items I follow (I'm sometimes too lazy to block him, plus I've become real good at turbo scrolling past his auctions). It would thus appear he either reads this forum or has been informed about this thread. His prices are still too high by a noticeable amount, but it might be a step in the right direction.

I don't know the guy from Adam and might have no problem sitting down with him for a beer or six. I just can't make sense of his model, and while he owes me no explanation, I feel well within my rights to have a negative opinion of him or at least what he does on Ebay. I know I am not alone, and I am kind of surprised at the length of this thread, given that if you type in the search term yepbg you can see from prior threads that he has been criticized here many times over the years.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.