NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-01-2022, 05:29 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Default Ticket Stub - Rain Check Questions...

I know that there are many different designs for baseball tickets, but I am specifically looking at the 1915 World Series tickets for the games that were played in Philadelphia.

What are the different parts of this ticket called? I assume that the top piece with the actual seating information is the proper "ticket stub."

Is the middle piece referred to as a "rain check" or is it also a ticket stub?

Here are images of the separated top portion and a middle portion along along with "stub" that still has the two pieces attached.

What are the correct names for each?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Top Portion.jpeg (150.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Middle Portion.jpg (164.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Attached Portions 2.jpg (138.1 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 11-02-2022 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:11 PM
J Stone

IMO I would consider them all "stubs" even though the middle one is obviously incomplete.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:23 PM

Hi Kevin,
It's been a while. How are you?
The top ticket stub is what is referred to as a "patron stub". It has the seat number, row number, etc.

The middle ticket stub is called an "audit stub" or "usher's stub".
This is the portion of the ticket that the ticket taker would keep and later count in order to track paid attendance.
Usually this is the larger part of the ticket and is sometimes less desirable to true ticket collectors.
For this reason, the ticket stubs that have seat numbers can sometimes be more valuable to the collector, especially if given a choice due to availability.
Earlier tickets like the one that you pictured are scarce and supply is limited.

That being said, sometimes the ticket taker that was inexperienced would hand the wrong portion of the ticket back to the patron, or fan.
It wasn't common, but it did occur.

As a collector, the bottom ticket would be the most desirable, condition notwithstanding.
More of the ticket, with more of the info makes it more interesting to my eye.
Other collectors that love PSA slabs with grades may see it differently, FWIW.

At the end of the day, they are all stubs to the same game.
Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I hope this helps.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-02-2022 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:28 PM
Scott S

Thanks Scott - I've wondered the same question in the past, and appreciate your detailed answer!
Old 11-02-2022, 09:54 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Scott - Thanks for the explanation. Hope that all is well with you.

I have assumed that the 1915 "two-part" stub that I pictured above originally consisted of an additional third part as you can see the perforations at the bottom of the "stub." Is that correct?

I have pictured images off full stubs from the 1912 World Series at the Polo Grounds, 1914 World Series at Shibe Park and 1955 Opening Day at Cincinnati for reference.

What is the proper term for the third piece at the bottom?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1912 Game 1 1a_800x378.jpg (139.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 1914 Game 2 1a_384x800.jpg (70.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 1955 Full Ticket 1a_210x800.jpg (72.2 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 11-02-2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
Scott - Thanks for the explanation. Hope that all is well with you.

I have assumed that the 1915 "two-part" stub that I pictured above originally consisted of an additional third part as you can see the perforations at the bottom of the "stub." Is that correct?

I have pictured images off full stubs from the 1912 Polo Grounds World Series and 1955 Cincinnati Opening Day for reference.

What is the proper term for the third piece at the bottom?
Kevin,
Yes, that is correct with the 1915 ticket.
In the case of the 3-part 1915 ticket, the top one or ticket with two two sections would be considered a patron's ticket stub because seat numbers are present.
If a ticket example had the middle section only or both the middle section plus the bottom section, it would be considered to be an usher's stub or audit stub.

For simplicity, the ticket stub portion that has the seat numbers, etc. is the patron's stub.

BTW, more recent examples with two sections are a bit easier to identify, but some ticket stock can complicate this because I have seen examples of baseball tickets (as in your Cincinnati Reds full ticket) that have seat numbers at both ends.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-02-2022 at 11:05 AM.