NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 06-25-2022, 08:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default auto racing cards

Work in progress for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg andretti.jpg (130.8 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg senna.jpg (77.4 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg petty.jpg (189.1 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg gordon,j.jpg (93.0 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg earnhardt.jpg (198.7 KB, 367 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:15 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Love seeing another racing collector on here, Peter. I have been looking for a 1969 Panini Andretti for a while, just have not found a lower grade one that is not wildly overpriced. That Senna sticker exploded in value for a while, but seems to have cooled off a bit with the 1984 Scratch N' Play going through the roof lately. He also has some neat and obscure European and Brazilian cards.

I have been trying for a SportsStar Photo-Graphics Earnhardt, but they don't show up too often anymore.

I have been toying with the idea of putting together a period card of all 34 F1 World Champions and pricing out what that would cost. There was a 1952 Chocolate Aiglon of Juan Manuel Fangio that ended on Saturday on eBay. My snipe never fired because I was surprised that the card went for over $300. That card is pretty tough, but it was still a sub $50 card a year or two ago. I guess more people have woke up to the fact that it is Fangio's rookie card and several years before his hyped rookie from the 1954 Kane Products set.

As we talked about on the main board, the 1972 STP Petty has also exploded in value over the past year or two.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-26-2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:49 AM
Rob

Love those, especially the Andretti and Petty. Have never seen any of them though, so they're all cool. Racing-wise I have been into the early '70s Fleer drag racing issues, but love seeing the Indy/NASCAR stuff.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:15 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Hi Peter
I was a Nascar collector before i got into baseball again in 2012-ish.
Just the other day in Goldins auction, the same Senna card fetched some good coin.
Look at these:
https://goldin.co/buy/?search=senna&sort=
If your Senna graded a 10, it be a 34K card. WOW!
I once had the Jeff Gordon RC and Earnhardt promo cards. I know i had Kyle Busch RC.
Still have tons of diecast & cards with the wall displays, but they are all now boxed up.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Love seeing another racing collector on here, Peter. I have been looking for a 1969 Panini Andretti for a while, just have not found a lower grade one that is not wildly overpriced. That Senna sticker exploded in value for a while, but seems to have cooled off a bit with the 1984 Scratch N' Play going through the roof lately. He also has some neat and obscure European and Brazilian cards.

I have been trying for a SportsStar Photo-Graphics Earnhardt, but they don't show up too often anymore.

I have been toying with the idea of putting together a period card of all 34 F1 World Champions and pricing out what that would cost. There was a 1952 Chocolate Aiglon of Juan Manuel Fangio that ended on Saturday on eBay. My snipe never fired because I was surprised that the card went for over $300. That card is pretty tough, but it was still a sub $50 card a year or two ago. I guess more people have woke up to the fact that it is Fangio's rookie card and several years before his hyped rookie from the 1954 Kane Products set.

As we talked about on the main board, the 1972 STP Petty has also exploded in value over the past year or two.
What year is that Earnhardt?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-26-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Hi Peter
I was a Nascar collector before i got into baseball again in 2012-ish.
Just the other day in Goldins auction, the same Senna card fetched some good coin.
Look at these:
https://goldin.co/buy/?search=senna&sort=
If your Senna graded a 10, it be a 34K card. WOW!
I once had the Jeff Gordon RC and Earnhardt promo cards. I know i had Kyle Busch RC.
Still have tons of diecast & cards with the wall displays, but they are all now boxed up.
Thanks Chris. Senna probably grades, or should grade, 8. I might call it Mint but I am not in touch with the new rigid grading. I was fortunate enough to pick it up out of Europe where once in a while you can still find good prices.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-26-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:28 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Heres some what i have or have had
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1268.jpg (192.9 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1270.jpg (190.0 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1271.jpg (193.3 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1275.jpg (193.2 KB, 357 views)
Old 06-26-2022, 10:28 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What year is that Earnhardt?
1986. He also has a 1983 Uno card that has really taken off in value the last couple years. The Uno card is usually considered his rookie card, but I am not really a fan. It is unknown how the Uno card was distributed, but it is just a standard looking Uno card as part as a 30-card NASCAR set.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:33 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Here is a quick thread on Collectors Universe that talks about the 1986 SportStar Photo-Graphics Earnhardt card.

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...r-racing-cards

Peter, are you familiar with the story behind the Maxx Earnhardt card No. 99 and it subsequently being "officially" released in 999 stickered copies several years later?

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-26-2022 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:38 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Here is another link that talks about the 13-card SportStar Photo-Graphics set and the Earnhardt card, along with a picture of the card.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...egallery/46819
Old 06-26-2022, 10:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Here is a quick thread on Collectors Universe that talks about the 1986 SportStar Photo-Graphics Earnhardt card.

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...r-racing-cards

Peter, are you familiar with the story behind the Maxx Earnhardt card No. 99 and it subsequently being "officially" released in 999 stickered copies several years later?
No.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Here is another link that talks about the 13-card SportStar Photo-Graphics set and the Earnhardt card, along with a picture of the card.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...egallery/46819
That's pretty cool. I love non mainstream cards that are earlier than RCs.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:56 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
No.
MAXX produced the Earnhardt card No. 99 assuming they would be able to reach a deal with him, but that did not happen. As result, the Earnhardt card was supposedly released in very limited quantities or were released without company consent when MAXX went bankrupt.

The card was "officially" released in 1994 with Earnhardt's blessing and a sticker denoting it to be one of 999 copies. There used to be a big premium for the stickered 999 version, but that premium has shrank in recent years. A lot of collectors don't realize the back story of the 1988 MAXX card No. 99 not being "officially " released until 1994.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-26-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:00 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Here is a link to an explanation of the 1988 MAXX Earnhardt card No. 99 and what transpired.

http://nascardradio.com/1988-maxx-da...tory-versions/
Old 06-26-2022, 11:18 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
MAXX produced the Earnhardt card No. 99 assuming they would be able to reach a deal with him, but that did not happen. As result, the Earnhardt card was supposedly released in very limited quantities or were released without company consent when MAXX went bankrupt.

The card was "officially" released in 1994 with Earnhardt's blessing and a sticker denoting it to be one of 999 copies. There used to be a big premium for the stickered 999 version, but that premium has shrank in recent years. A lot of collectors don't realize the back story of the 1988 MAXX card No. 99 not being "officially " released until 1994.
Hmmm... I bought it instead of the 1989 because naturally I thought it was one year earlier even if not considered by the mainstream hobby to be the "rookie" card. Should I revisit that?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-26-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:40 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Hmmm... I bought it instead of the 1989 because naturally I thought it was one year earlier even if not considered by the hobby to be the "rookie" card. Should I revisit that?
The 1988 Earnhardt MAXX situation is such a huge clusterfuck. There is nothing wrong with a 1988 version. It is still desirable, and it does sell for less than the redemption version if cost is a factor. This is just personal preference, but I would I would rank them 1986 SportStar/1988 (1994) Maxx Redemption/1988 Maxx non-certified. But they are all cool early Earnhardt cards. The price gap between the two versions of the MAXX cards has been steadily shrinking in recent years. Either version is still the iconic image of Earnhardt on a card. The MAXX cards are not his rookie card, but that is still the image people think of when it comes to an Earnhardt card.

The 1994 redemption version is quite a bit more rare than the 1988 version. PSA has currently graded 52 copies of the redemption card and 210 examples of the 1988 version.

FWIW, I have never seen one of those /100 autographed versions of the MAXX card that were released in 1997 by Upper Deck.

Like I said earlier, his 1983 Uno card is earlier than all of those options and has taken off in value in recent years. But that card doesn't do much for me.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-26-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The 1988 Earnhardt MAXX situation is such a huge clusterfuck. There is nothing wrong with a 1988 version. It is still desirable, and it does sell for less than the redemption version if cost is a factor. This is just personal preference, but I would I would rank them 1986 SportStar/1988 (1994) Maxx Redemption/1988 Maxx non-certified. But they are all cool early Earnhardt cards. The price gap between the two versions of the MAXX cards has been steadily shrinking in recent years. Either version is still the iconic image of Earnhardt on a card.

The 1994 redemption version is quite a bit more rare than the 1988 version. PSA has currently graded 52 copies of the redemption card and 210 examples of the 1988 version.

FWIW, I have never seen one of those /100 autographed versions of the MAXX card that were released in 1997 by Upper Deck.

Like I said earlier, his 1983 Uno card is earlier than all of those options and has taken off in value in recent years. But that card doesn't do much for me.
My 1988 appears to be uncertified so I guess I'll stick with it as at least earlier than the 1989. Probably god enough for me. From ebay they seem to be a lot more pricey than they were not long ago, I paid less than 200 for my 8. Separately, any opinion on the 1992 Traks Petty/Earnhardt dual auto? Any issues there? Seems like a cool item never pulled the trigger but have thought about it.

Old 06-26-2022, 12:01 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
My 1988 appears to be uncertified so I guess I'll stick with it as at least earlier than the 1989. Probably god enough for me. From ebay they seem to be a lot more pricey than they were not long ago, I paid less than 200 for my 8. Separately, any opinion on the 1992 Traks Petty/Earnhardt dual auto? Any issues there? Seems like a cool item never pulled the trigger but have thought about it.
The Earnhardt MAXX cards people list as BINs on eBay are just crazy Even with an uncertified version, you did very well at under $200 for an 8. Like I said, that is still the iconic image of Earnhardt on a card.

Here is a link to an awesome podcast dealing with some of the iconic NASCAR sets and notable rookie cards. A lot fo what I learning from listening to this podcast.

http://nascardradio.com/podcast/

Notable episodes you may be interested in are episodes 29. 1972 STP set, 31. Uno and SportStar-Photo-Graphics sets, 33. SportsStar Photo-Graphics set, 42. 1988 MAXX Earnhardt card No. 99, 44. 1972 STP set, 45. 1983 Uno,

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-26-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:05 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Peter, if you do go after a 1992 Traks Earnhardt/Petty card, save yourself a headache and go with a graded copy. That card is notorious for phony autographs. Many of the cards made it to the public unautographed and have become a forger's paradise in recent years. Both Petty and Earnhardt have pretty distinctive signatures, so the fakes are usually pretty easy to detect. But I have steered away from that card because I am not really an autograph guy and that card has been the subject of rampant forgeries. Be very careful.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-26-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter, if you do go after a 1992 Traks Earnhardt/Petty card, save yourself a headache and go with a graded copy. That card is notorious for phony autographs. Many of the cards made it to the public unautographed and have become a forger's paradise in recent years. Both Petty and Earnhardt have pretty distinctive signatures, so the fakes are usually pretty easy to detect. But I have steered away from that card because I am not really an autograph guy and that card has been the subject of rampant forgeries. Be very careful.
Who would you trust more in terms of authenticity, Beckett or PSA?

Old 06-26-2022, 12:46 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Who would you trust more in terms of authenticity, Beckett or PSA?
I think either one would be ok. I am far from an expert when it comes to detecting forged autographs, but some of the Petty/Earnhardt fakes are so bad that it is very obvious they are not legit. There is definitely a wariness among collectors when it comes to that specific card because it is known to have many examples make it into the public unsigned.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-26-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I think either one would be ok. I am far from as expert when it comes to detecting forged autographs, but some of the Petty/Earnhardt fakes are so bad that it very obvious they are not legit. There is definitely a wariness among collectors when it comes to that specific card because it is known to have many examples make it into the public unsigned.
Thanks. I suppose in that case there is also the issue of real ones signed later and not factory issued. I believe that is a problem with the 1993 Hoops Magic/Bird autos.

Old 06-26-2022, 04:13 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Jeff Gordon

That Jeff Gordon card looks like he’s about 13 years old!!!!!
Old 06-26-2022, 04:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Actually, he was 16. Or 15 depending on when during the year it was issued.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-26-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:06 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Gordon actually did start racing full size Sprint Cars at age 13. That was the reason his family relocated from California to Indiana.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:08 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Thanks. I suppose in that case there is also the issue of real ones signed later and not factory issued. I believe that is a problem with the 1993 Hoops Magic/Bird autos.
That is another great point. Both Petty and Earnhardt were very accessible and would sign anything for fans.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:45 PM

I've enjoyed reading about your passion for auto racing cards, guys. Though I don't collect racing cards, preferring the 1/43rd scale model racing cars (a pursuit that caught my fancy 3 years prior to my interest in baseball cards the spring of 1961), I respect your deep interest and love for motorsport.

You bring up a hallmark of most racing drivers---they respect and are kind to their fans. Same with hockey players.

Anyways, keep having fun, mates! --- Brian Powell
Old 06-26-2022, 06:09 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Another point about cards being legit signed after the fact: From what I read on the various Facebook F1 card groups, Lewis Hamilton is all but impossible to get on a card these days, and Max Verstappen is almost as tough. But everyone else on the grid willingly signs Topps cards. Lando Norris has even commented how much he likes signing cards. It just seems weird to me that an on card autograph will sell for a fraction of the Topps stickered autographs.

On one of the NASCAR radio podcasts that I linked to above, the hosts talked about the process Richard Petty goes through to this day when it comes to TTM autographs. Petty usually shows up at least once a week at his museum and museum volunteers lay out everything he recently received in the mail on several tables for him to autograph. He then goes down the line with several different colored Sharpies in hand.

When the item is something different or something Petty has not seen before, he will usually stop and write a short note on the item.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-26-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

On another topic, I was looking at Lauda cards today, other than the now prohibitive 74 Panini there don't seem to be any good options.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:19 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
On another topic, I was looking at Lauda cards today, other than the now prohibitive 74 Panini there don't seem to be any good options.
I think his 1975 Jenkki card from Finland is a good option. The image is neat, and it is still affordable. There is one currently listed on eBay for $250, but that is high. A Lauda Jenkki card sold at auction for $58 in May. Even though the title of the listing is 1974, that is actually a 1975 release. That Jenkki set has some F1 drivers that can be had fairly cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265683188051?hash=item3ddbf3b953:gBAAAOSwr7JiaRy 7

I have been wrestling with whether or not I really want to pay up for a Lauda Vedettes card. Not that I want to see the entire economy collapse, but I do have some dry powder if the economy does hit a recession and sanity returns to card prices.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-26-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I think his 1975 Jenkki card from Finland is a real good option. The image is neat, and it is still affordable. There is one currently listed on eBay for $250, but that is high. A Lauda Jenkki card sold at auction for $58 in May. Even though the title of the listing is 1974, that is actually a 1975 release. That Jenkki set has some neat F1 drivers that can be had fairly cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265683188051?hash=item3ddbf3b953:gBAAAOSwr7JiaRy 7

I have been wrestling with whether or not I really want to pay up for a Lauda Vedettes card. Not that I want to see the entire economy collapse, but I do have some dry powder if the economy does hit a recession and sanity returns to card prices.
I don't like the image of him blocking up his ears. I may like you just wait and see if the Panini comes back to earth. The 1974 Keisa does nothing for me.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Oh one more I forgot to post. I THINK this is her first card but who knows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg danica.jpg (70.8 KB, 342 views)

Old 06-26-2022, 07:32 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
I don't like the image of him blocking up his ears. I may like you just wait and see if the Panini comes back to earth. The 1974 Keisa does nothing for me.
I agree with you completely on the Keisa card. I try to stay away from images in which the driver is helmeted or action shots.. That is an issue with some of the early F1 options from the 1950s and '60s.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I agree with you completely on the Keisa card. I try to stay away from images in which the driver is helmeted or action shots.. That is an issue with some of the early F1 options from the 1950s and '60s.
Yeah most of the Fangios until Top Flight are like that. There are some awful Jackie Stewarts.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:59 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Yeah most of the Fangios until Top Flight are like that. There are some awful Jackie Stewarts.
I like Fangio's 1958 SADA. It is a big image of just him and can still be found for under $100.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I like Fangio's 1958 SADA. It is a big image of just him and can still be found for under $100.
Thanks, there is one on ebay, I am on it.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:49 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
Love those, especially the Andretti and Petty. Have never seen any of them though, so they're all cool. Racing-wise I have been into the early '70s Fleer drag racing issues, but love seeing the Indy/NASCAR stuff.
I'd have to dig them out but I know they are much newer that 70's drag racing, but those are the only drag racing/ NHRA cards I own.
I've been a fan of drag racing for many many years but unfortunately very little is aired up here anymore.
I do have a really cool photo of Big Daddy Don Garlist that my parents picked up at his museum many years ago as well as a couple 1/24 funny cars/dragsters of John Force and I believe Eddie Hill?
I collected, when they first came out, 1/18th Muscle Machines, but they never really caught on I guess you could say?
I thought they were pretty cool and I believe I have around 12-15 of them?

Great thread, Peter and Eddie. Thanks for the pics and info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20201222_16_25_13_Pro.jpg (201.2 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20201222_16_20_07_Pro (2).jpg (197.5 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20201222_16_23_04_Pro.jpg (196.5 KB, 324 views)
Old 06-27-2022, 08:01 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Thanks, there is one on ebay, I am on it.
Happy to help.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:29 AM
Rob

[QUOTE=irv;2238074]I'd have to dig them out but I know they are much newer that 70's drag racing, but those are the only drag racing/ NHRA cards I own.
I've been a fan of drag racing for many many years but unfortunately very little is aired up here anymore.
I do have a really cool photo of Big Daddy Don Garlist that my parents picked up at his museum many years ago as well as a couple 1/24 funny cars/dragsters of John Force and I believe Eddie Hill?
I collected, when they first came out, 1/18th Muscle Machines, but they never really caught on I guess you could say?
I thought they were pretty cool and I believe I have around 12-15 of them?

I am mainly a fan of '70s/'80s drag racing as far as anything collectible goes. I don't know why this pic below came out so dark (it seems a lot of stuff that has been left in my fotki has done this?????), but this card is one of my favorites. I'm sure I would love the Garlits photo, that's cool. I have been to his museum and pretty much all of my phone storage is taken up with the pics and videos from there. I don't have any of those newer, well, newer than the '70s issues, just have never run across any in person here. I collect some of the funny car/dragster/pro stock model kids from that era as well, kind of a sickness. Anyway, nice to hear of your interest in drag racing.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:25 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

I am mainly a fan of '70s/'80s drag racing as far as anything collectible goes. I don't know why this pic below came out so dark (it seems a lot of stuff that has been left in my fotki has done this?????), but this card is one of my favorites. I'm sure I would love the Garlits photo, that's cool. I have been to his museum and pretty much all of my phone storage is taken up with the pics and videos from there. I don't have any of those newer, well, newer than the '70s issues, just have never run across any in person here. I collect some of the funny car/dragster/pro stock model kids from that era as well, kind of a sickness. Anyway, nice to hear of your interest in drag racing.
Have you ever been to an NHRA race before, Rob? Unfortunately I haven't, only top alcohol event up here at Cayuga many many years ago.
Going to Gainesville, or another city somewhere is definitely high on my bucket list.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:56 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Have you ever been to an NHRA race before, Rob? Unfortunately I haven't, only top alcohol event up here at Cayuga many many years ago.
Going to Gainesville, or another city somewhere is definitely high on my bucket list.

Yes, I have been to a few. The NHRA used to come to Memphis Motorsports Park as part of their season from '88 thru 2009 as the Mid-South Nationals then the O-Reilly Auto Parts Mid-South Nationals. That being local I want from '88 thru '90 and then sporadically until the NHRA dropped this race on the circuit. Really fun seeing Snake in his last years in the funny car, Eddie Hill in TF, McCulloch, etc. Nothing like how you can walk around in the pits and watch, and even interact with the drivers. Also went up to the HHRA race just outside St. Louis a few years ago. A lot of fun, but I just don't enjoy the new cars. I am hoping to get up to Bowling Green, KY for the Holley Hot Reunion in the next couple of years. They run nostalgia cars and also have a cackle-fest at the end where some of the old funny cars and dragsters from back in the day come out for an exhibition. You should definitely hit Gainesville some day, an NHRA event is definitely an experience. Take your hearing protection, there is nothing like the sound.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:18 AM
Dave

Ayrton Senna - 1988 H. Fournier card out of Spain.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:04 AM
Dave

This may be one of the cooler sets I've randomly picked up from Europe. Some great poses for those who don't like the action race shots.

I believe this is:

Either late 1975 or 1976 Berliner Spielkarten out of Germany:
Old 06-28-2022, 07:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

I sold my Stewart rookie because I really didn't like the card, a tiny pinhead shot. Looking at other 60s cards of him I'm not really seeing anything else I like either. Hmmmm.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:52 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Yes, I have been to a few. The NHRA used to come to Memphis Motorsports Park as part of their season from '88 thru 2009 as the Mid-South Nationals then the O-Reilly Auto Parts Mid-South Nationals. That being local I want from '88 thru '90 and then sporadically until the NHRA dropped this race on the circuit. Really fun seeing Snake in his last years in the funny car, Eddie Hill in TF, McCulloch, etc. Nothing like how you can walk around in the pits and watch, and even interact with the drivers. Also went up to the HHRA race just outside St. Louis a few years ago. A lot of fun, but I just don't enjoy the new cars. I am hoping to get up to Bowling Green, KY for the Holley Hot Reunion in the next couple of years. They run nostalgia cars and also have a cackle-fest at the end where some of the old funny cars and dragsters from back in the day come out for an exhibition. You should definitely hit Gainesville some day, an NHRA event is definitely an experience. Take your hearing protection, there is nothing like the sound.
That would have been great for sure as I clearly remember those guys. Always loved Eddie Hill and his wife, Ercie. They were jovial people who just loved life.

Nowadays, because I rarely get to watch any, I am not even sure who the top guys are anymore. Force, of course, and likely a few other names I'd recognize but that is likely it?

It's too bad they closed Sanair years ago in Quebec due to the new leaded fuel laws. One NHRA event a year cost the area thousands and thousands, if not millions, in revenue. Just stupid, imo.

The top alcohol event I went to years ago was pretty loud so ear plugs were required there as well, but I can only imagine TF.
Shockwave, the 3 jet engine Peterbilt semi was there and every time he burped the throttle, it felt like someone was thumping you in the chest.
https://youtu.be/t_inFieJhVQ?t=100

Last edited by irv; 06-28-2022 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:47 AM
Kevin

Default SI for Kids Lewis Hamilton RC

I have this SI for Kids Lewis Hamilton RC for sale on Ebay. It’s listed a $1,500 OBO. I’m willing to sell it here for $1,200 delivered. If your interested, please PM me. Thank you, Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDB630D7-A3E6-42CA-9603-2F2243ACE32E.jpg (199.7 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by ledsters; 06-29-2022 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:50 AM
Kevin

D61827B4-3F72-409D-8B08-6D130BD0C23D.jpg
Old 06-30-2022, 03:01 PM

Default Auto racing cards

Just found this thread, and really enjoyed reading it.

Those of you who collect the Sportstar Photographics, are you into variations. The set is loaded with variations; at one time I had more than 50 different. There are at least 3 different Earnhardt variations. There was also a Sportstar Photographics sticker set, which I remember as a 9 sticker set.

Someone asked about the Uno set, it was sold as a boxed set. Am not aware if the cards were ever distributed individually.

We had contracts with most of the major card companies selling racing cards from about 1989 through 1995; and bought cases of these cards.

I am curious as to why no one has mentioned the Hassan/Mecca set of 1911, the Stark and Wetzel set of 1954, and the various Marhoefer sets in the early 1960's???

Every card in the Hassan/Mecca set was a "first" card, as were most of the Stark and Wetzel, and many of the Marhoefer.

Jon.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:29 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

The top alcohol event I went to years ago was pretty loud so ear plugs were required there as well, but I can only imagine TF.
Shockwave, the 3 jet engine Peterbilt semi was there and every time he burped the throttle, it felt like someone was thumping you in the chest.
https://youtu.be/t_inFieJhVQ?t=100
Sad news.
RIP Chris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpSaWrRoHTc
Old 07-03-2022, 01:17 PM
Rob

Quote:
I saw that last night, couldn't believe it, you were just talking about it. Sad news indeed.