NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-26-2022, 12:36 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
From the SCD article above: "The number of cards per game ranges from 86-105 cards...". A 131 card basic set nor a 132 card master set would be present in a game.

From the SCD article above: "No game, therefore, has a full set of 132 cards."

Just saying....notice no mention of "basic" or "master" in that statement.

From the SCD article above: "Therefore, the two checklist cards in the Milton Bradley set are not variations of each other but rather come from the same proof sheet as the regular 1968s."

Just saying again....notice no mention of DP.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
From the SCD article above: "No game, therefore, has a full set of 132 cards."

Just saying....notice no mention of "basic" or "master" in that statement.

From the SCD article above: "Therefore, the two checklist cards in the Milton Bradley set are not variations of each other but rather come from the same proof sheet as the regular 1968s."

Just saying again....notice no mention of DP.
You are welcome to redefine a complete set to mean a master set with variants if you wish. This is a tiny issue of your personal definition. I am going to use the traditional hobby terminology. You don't have too. What is left to do?
Old 11-26-2022, 02:09 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
You are welcome to redefine a complete set to mean a master set with variants if you wish. This is a tiny issue of your personal definition. I am going to use the traditional hobby terminology. You don't have too. What is left to do?
???? Not sure I have re-defined anything.....I simply agree with the author of the article on these facts. He appears to have done significantly more research and has demonstrated far more understanding of this set than you, I or anyone else for that matter.

And if you check PSA's registry, you will also see that they show two copies of this #107 card, differentiated by the designations of "brown Fine Mesh" and "Tan Wide Mesh", on this registry. As with most all of PSA's set registries with variation cards (including the 1968 Topps set) like this, PSA identifies the set with the variations as a "Master Set". Here is the PSA's title of the baseball portion of the MB set: "1968 Topps Milton Bradley"

Clearly missing is the word "MASTER"....obviously for a reason

So, between PSA and the author of this article, it seems like you may be the one redefining this set.

Again, I am in agreement with both sources just as you are welcome to have an opinion different than PSA and SCD's article.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:41 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
???? Not sure I have re-defined anything.....I simply agree with the author of the article on these facts. He appears to have done significantly more research and has demonstrated far more understanding of this set than you, I or anyone else for that matter.

And if you check PSA's registry, you will also see that they show two copies of this #107 card, differentiated by the designations of "brown Fine Mesh" and "Tan Wide Mesh", on this registry. As with most all of PSA's set registries with variation cards (including the 1968 Topps set) like this, PSA identifies the set with the variations as a "Master Set". Here is the PSA's title of the baseball portion of the MB set: "1968 Topps Milton Bradley"

Clearly missing is the word "MASTER"....obviously for a reason

So, between PSA and the author of this article, it seems like you may be the one redefining this set.

Again, I am in agreement with both sources just as you are welcome to have an opinion different than PSA and SCD's article.
How many times do you want to have the same exact debate that was already had? What do you want?
Old 11-26-2022, 02:51 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
How many times do you want to have the same exact debate that was already had? What do you want?
Doesn't look like I am the one who keeps bring it up:

Quote:
From the SCD article above: "The number of cards per game ranges from 86-105 cards...". A 131 card basic set nor a 132 card master set would be present in a game.
Quote:
The master set is ALWAYS the correct answer .

Perhaps, if you let it go, then it does not keep getting brought up.......just saying.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:07 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

As said, multiple times, I am going to maintain the classic hobby definition of a unique card and a variation. I am not going to use your new definition that treats the MB's unlike every other set ever issued, including the 1968 Topps regular release where nobody thinks the Marichal checklist variation, resulting from it's different sheet slots, is necessary for a basic set.

I do not know why you want to do this again and are upset that I use the traditional standard when talking to other people. There's no point in having this loop over and over again. We disagree, who cares? You want to call it something else, that's fine. You do your thing. You are free to bitch about this every single time I post, I suppose.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:22 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
I am not going to use your new definition that treats the MB's unlike every other set ever issued
Not clear as to why you are not comprehending the fact that I don't have any type of "new" definition for this set.

I merely share an opinion with an author who had an article on this topic published....this shared opinion dates back to well before his article was published. I also agree with PSA's defining of this set via it's registry which for this set has been around since 2013. However, I guess in the scheme of card collecting 9-10 years is "new".

You're welcome to use whatever definition you like........I could give a flying flip less.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:23 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Not clear as to why you are not comprehending the fact that I don't have any type of "new" definition for this set.

I merely share an opinion with an author who had an article on this topic published....this shared opinion dates back to well before his article was published. I also agree with PSA's defining of this set via it's registry which for this set has been around since 2013. However, I guess in the scheme of card collecting 9-10 years is "new".

You're welcome to use whatever definition you like........I could give a flying flip less.
If you don’t give a flip, then stop
Old 11-26-2022, 03:30 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
If you don’t give a flip, then stop
Why dont you?
Old 11-26-2022, 03:36 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Why dont you?
.... You are the one who brought it up again and are trying to do the debate all over, not me...
Old 11-26-2022, 03:42 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
.... You are the one who brought it up again and are trying to do the debate all over, not me...
Oh my, you are confused, check post 55.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Oh my, you are confused, check post 55.
... You're upset I told Al that I like master set collecting, with a winky? Because it's a shared style of collecting we both do, and how we are both collecting sets, with all defects and variants and variations? And you're upset I used the basic/master dichotomy in a post to someone's else? You think both of these are restarting a debate with YOU? Alright, that's enough of this stupidity for me. Happy collecting or bitching or whatever it is that you do.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:57 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
... You're upset I told Al that I like master set collecting, with a winky? Because it's a shared style of collecting we both do, and how we are both collecting sets, with all defects and variants and variations? And you're upset I used the basic/master dichotomy in a post to someone's else? You think both of these are restarting a debate with YOU? Alright, that's enough of this stupidity for me. Happy collecting or bitching or whatever it is that you do.
Wow, just wow....
Old 11-26-2022, 06:02 PM

I will probably regret getting involved in this, but I consider having both Marichal Checklists necessary for having a complete 132 card set. The only possible master set I can think of is having every card with the two different shades of yellow on the back, that would take a dedicated person to attempt that.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:22 PM
Al Richter

4 checklists ? 😱