NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Default Need help with books or publications on 19th century

Posted By: Tom B.

I was curious if anybody new of good sources, other than lew lipsets, on collecting 19th century material. Any help woul be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom B.(Baseballcollecitbles)

Old 08-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

You need to get a copy of Issue #3 the VCBC (Vintage & Classic Baseball Collector).

It was put out in September 1995, and Barry Sloate's article on these publications is all of the guide you will ever need!!

I am sure that someone on this board will know how you can get one.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hi Bob,
I saw your questions regarding baseball books. I am currently on vacation for the month of August but would be happy to answer questions for you on baseball books. I am currently at 631-725-4089 and if time permits I can speak with you at our mutual convenience. Otherwise, I will be back in my office by September 1.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Tom B. please post whatever you find out. I bet there are lots of us that need to learn more about this subject.

Thank you, Gil

Old 08-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Where else but on THIS web site can you mention the name of the leading authoritative text on a topic...

and have the AUTHOR HIMSELF show up a and respond to the thread a minute later!!

Barry: Don't sell anything without giving me first dibs!!

Old 08-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max

I thought Tom wanted a book on general 19th century baseball material, and not specifically on baseball books of that era. But I could be wrong. In any event, I don't even have enough resources at this point to refresh my screen for the Mastro auction, without my bank calling me and threatening to call my line of credit.

Max

Old 08-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mike mac

I think Tom means collecting vintage, not books on vintage baseball. That was a sweet article, though.

I'll bet this is an old post, but someone could spice it up with new insights.

How about answers to questions like:

1. Does getting the ACC complement Lipset's book, in terms of the baseball stuff? Is that book worth the hassle of locating and bidding on eBay, because those are not easy to locate on the used book sites, for sure, anymore?

2. Is SCD's Std Cat or Beckett worth purchasing annually for their checklists? Are their checklists reliable? D. Purdy shredded Hagar's book but some on this board suggests the photos are great. Is there a best year for these price guides?

3. There is that book on T206, but this is 20th cent. What about sets of 19th cent. stuff? Anything out there on the OJ?

Old 08-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Administrator

You guys are right.

I read the title of the thread to mean that he was looking for "19th century books or publications" on baseball...

when in fact he is looking for modern books about collecting 19th century baseball STUFF.

Oh well ... he should probably still get all the back issues of the VCBC anyway!!!

Old 08-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom B.

Thank you for the information on the VCBC and I am interested in books and publications that does go into depth about collecting 19th Century materail but not only cards but pictures of that era and other memorabilia. I am interested in Books and Publications from this era as well. This is going to be my new collecting area and I am just trying to learn as much as possible before I make a huge mistake. Thank you all for replying and Mr. Sloate I will be contacting you soon. Thanks again everyone.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Old 08-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The other One (Julie)

is now on their website, at www.vcbc.com, and can be ordered directly there.

Old 08-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

To answer one of Mike's question, I personally don't think the ACC is that useful or worth tracking down the original, as it does not checklist the cards in each set nor gives much information about the cards. It is a great document of the history of our collecting hobby. I suggest buying from Larry Fritsch (I believe they still have some) the reprint of the 1960 guide which goes for about $10.00.

Brian