NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: If the ending bid for the set is higher than the total lots, the set sells complete
Yes, maximizes sales price people will just bid to win the whole thing 10 19.61%
No, bidders feel it's a like a reserve, bidders dont bother going after lots 18 35.29%
Could go either way , explain 16 31.37%
Please go away ....self explanatory 7 13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2022, 10:08 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Default Auction lot opinions, is the sum worth more than the whole

Hi, curious on thought regarding a signed 1952 topps set. I believe mile high has had auctions in the past where 1 lot is the whole set, and the auction also has the lots individually listed. Anyone have thoughts on this method?

Thoughts appreciated

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 05-24-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:13 AM
Joe M.

These type auctions have been going on for years, but, not the norm. SCD magazine had these in the 80’s & 90’s.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 05-24-2022, 10:18 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Such a tough call as to what is better for the seller in my opinion. Could convince me either way. A third option is a hybrid. Big cards solo, and then a bunch of groups of the rest.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:41 AM

Call Brian Drent at Mile High and see what he says
Old 05-24-2022, 10:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

I don't really know, but my thought is that this type of auction discourages bidding on the individual lots to some extent, since people know there's a chance they won't win what they're bidding on even with the high bid and therefore allocate resources elsewhere? But if you're seriously interested in exploring it talk to Drent and see what his experience has been.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-24-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:13 AM

Default Data

Anyone have any rough guess - or accurate estimate - as to how often the full set wins?
Old 05-24-2022, 11:36 AM
Rob G.

Wasn't there a 1914 CJ set auctioned this way a few years ago, with 144 individual lots and another lot for the entire set, and the set turned out to be higher?
Old 05-24-2022, 11:45 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Also, I think a t206 set which the set was also higher. I'm thinking since the HOF cards make up half or more of the value, the set may encourage someone to buy the whole thing. However I dont want to alienate buyers. .

Thanks for the responses thus far

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 05-24-2022, 01:47 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

It depends on the set, I don't think Ive seen an E-card set offered as a whole, usually broken up into stars and groups of the rest. Partial T206 and Goudeys seem to attract action for setbuilders. What seems to be hot are complete sets that are on the PSA registry so a guy can spend a bunch of money for instant notoriety.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-24-2022, 03:31 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I have seen a few in the past 4 to 5 years. For the seller it is a win I believe. Since it sells for the highest amount (whether 1 lump sum or a bunch of smaller that combine to be over the 1 big bid). Since he wins either way. However, as others said this method may discourage the bidders on the individual items.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-24-2022, 03:50 PM

I have a question associated with this. Is there a good tool to monitor all the auction house listings and do analysis on sales?
Old 05-24-2022, 06:04 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikks View Post
I have a question associated with this. Is there a good tool to monitor all the auction house listings and do analysis on sales?
The Collectible app used to do that; not sure if it's still around.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:04 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
The Collectible app used to do that; not sure if it's still around.
Bid brain! Remember bid brain??

Old 05-24-2022, 06:15 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I put either way, because I've seen it go both ways. I remember a while ago, a member consigned a near-complete signed 1954 Topps set, and the AH sold it as one lot. It underperformed, and the consignor was understandably not happy. For a whole set, I would recommend splitting out the HOF/key cards/high numbers and selling those individually, then selling the rest as a lot. The commons might make more listed individually, but then you have to list and photograph them all separately, then you've got a big pile of unsold commons to hold onto until you find the right buyer.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:15 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Bid brain! Remember bid brain??

I think I missed that boat.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I avoid them. No point in chasing after a specific card that I may not win even if I 'win' it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-24-2022, 07:19 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

That '52 signed Topps set of yours is cool.

Value....no idea. Just really cool.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 05-24-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:32 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Thinking about your set Ted, it is such an incredible collection you might want to go the route of Uncle Jimmy or David Hall and sell all of them individually over the course of 5 or 6 auctions, that way you give a chance for collectors of signed 52's a chance to recharge their bank accounts and maximize your sales prices.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-24-2022, 07:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Personally, I think this dual method is obnoxious.

In general, I would say selling cards individually is better for more common but popular sets, but as a full set can be better for more esoteric stuff where the ability to get all or most of something rare at once can make more people interested and bid that might not have the patience to spend ~30 years piecing it together card by card.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:41 PM
Frank Wakefield

If a seller has decided to offer something for sale, the buyers may well buy the something.

If potential buyers are wanting something, they're out of luck unless the owner decides to become a seller.

The two way system is used in real estate multiple parcel auctions quite often. And it maximizes the total sales price for the seller.

As for someone wanting one or a few lots, I don't know that it's obnoxious, but it is frustrating. And it's tough on folks who at the time of the sale, don't have deep enough pockets to buy an entire set.

What's the auction house doing??? When they get done talking about how they're working for the seller and how they're helping the buyers, what they're actually doing is trying to maximize their cut of the money that's changing hands. I'm not faulting them, but they are trying to maximize the money that the lots collectively bring... and that's good for the seller, too. So I think these auctions are frustrating to someone wanting one or a few lots, and the solution is to bid up the parts. We'll continue to see this auction format.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:05 PM
Bob C.

This concept can also work counter to a consignor and AH if it is a sale of something rather unique/special, where maybe only a few people are seriously interested in the set, or certain items in it, and they know each other from years of collecting the same things. An autographed set to me could fit this description.

If the seriously interested parties get together to bid as a group, they could combine forces, and pocketbooks, and agree not to bid each other up on individual items, and work together to split the total set. Chances are, without them bidding against each other, individual items will go for less than they otherwise would, and fewer people would be willing/able to go higher for the overall set due to the dollars needed. And if there did end up being a number of other bidders running up the individual item auctions way more than expected, the group could wait till near the very end of the auction and decide to abandon going after the set after all, and each go after the individual lots they were interested in.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:37 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The process is flawed. Let’s say it is a hundred card lot of roughly equivalent value cards. Let’s further assume that the whole lot is at $10,000 and the sum of the individual lots is at $9800. Further assume that there is one card in the lot that you really want that it is currently at $100. You might be willing to pay over $200 for that card but auction software won’t let you bid because once you go to $110 you are the high bidder and you can’t top yourself. The software should be adjusted so that the aggregate lot total can bump your bid, but to my knowledge no auction software is constructed like that. I had this very situation happen to me in an auction years ago. I had to call the auction and instruct them to bid against me (I may the only person ever who asked to be shilled) so that I could get my bid to the point where the total of the single cards exceeded the aggregate and I could win the card I wanted.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:38 AM
Frank Wakefield

I've seen this process more times when small farms are sold, than I have with other stuff. And having read Jay's post above, I agree with that, there's a flaw in the process, especially for computer program auctions which would include eBay. Seems to me the quickest way to deal with that, using Jay's example, would be for me to get a friend to underbid the that card he was after with a $190 bid (if that fit the increments) so that Jay's $200 bid activates.

Still, the problem remains that if 2 dozen of the cards only draw bids of $70 or so, then the higher 'set bid' would win. It would definitely be frustrating. Realistically, the frustrating part is you think you've won with your bid when you haven't. You have to win in whichever auction of the two brings the higher price.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have a vague memory of bidding on and winning both the Mize and Rickey cards in the 1941 St. Louis team set, at very good prices, but winning neither because the set went for more. Many of the commons had pretty much zero interest as singles as I recall.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-25-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:34 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I avoid them. No point in chasing after a specific card that I may not win even if I 'win' it.
+1

I just dont bother bidding on individual lots because it seems a waste of time. I think a seller should just decide in advance and go with it.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think it could make sense in certain cases but most of the times I think breaking up a set or group sells for most.