NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2022, 05:04 PM

Default 1936 sports stamps

Hi there, this is my first thread so I hope I don't screw it up. Just wondering if there are any members that are familiar with the 1936 Sports Stamps. I know that PSA and SGC grade the individual stamps, both with Bio and w/o Bio. However I am curios to know if they grade a panel, i.e. 2+.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:40 PM

Maybe I should add a little clarity to the Sports Stamp. I'm referring to the stamps that were issued in not only the Sporting News (All Star Stamps), but also in several newspapers in different parts of the U.S., Detroit Times, Chicago American, etc. The stamps were obviously hand cut. The Stamps included what many consider rookie cards of both Joe DiMaggio and Bob Feller.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:49 PM
Todd Schultz

I do not know but I would guess they will holder the pair so long as it fits within a holder they regularly use, which might be problematic depending on the length of the bios. Also you probably know that very thin paper issues tend to move around in the holder or gasket. so I'm not sure how much preservation protection is really provided by a slab.

Question though--aren't these always graded only as authentic due to their hand-cut status?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:00 PM

They will actually grade them using their normal grading scale, however from what I've noticed is the stamps that contain backing's from scrap books, etc. always receive a grade of Authentic. Only the ones that show the actual back newspaper side have a number grade. Of course if the condition is very poor they will only receive a grade of authentic. Hand cut is noted on the label. The stamps are very sensitive due them being on plain newspaper and of course their age. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

PSA will numerically grade them:

BUT not for every newspaper. They rejected my Joe D:

because of the newspaper. That was several years ago, so not sure what they do now.

Hope this is helpful.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-26-2022, 06:37 PM

Great Ruth and DiMaggio. I know they will grade them individually, but I am curious about an uncut panel, specifically an uncut panel with 6 players.

I find it interesting they wouldn't grade the DiMaggio. What does the back look like?

I see your Babe Ruth is in a suit. I have one from the Chicago American where he is in a uniform. That's probably why a checklist doesn't exist because there are so many players and variations.

Thanks for the pics and reply.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:44 PM

I just figured out how to add a photo, so I attached the Ruth so you could check it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth 1.jpg (218.8 KB, 1112 views)
File Type: jpg Ruth 2.jpg (215.0 KB, 1111 views)
Old 05-26-2022, 07:32 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Welcome to the sub Gonefishin'.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-26-2022, 09:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The backs are fine; when I questioned the rejection the PSA rep told me that they only grade certain publications. The newspapers were a chain so there are 'cards' from coast to coast. Detroit was in the old big book, which seems to drive a lot of TPG decision-making. Funny story there. I sent in a boxing card to PSA for slabbing and they turned it down because it wasn't catalogued. Well, I wrote the damn catalog and I know it was so I sent them excerpts. They then said it wasn't in their catalog. I asked what version. Turned out they were several years out of date. The card got graded.

I started trying to catalog the 1936 newspaper cards some time ago and built up a good partial database, but it is really challenging due to the different publications and variations. Like in LA, they made 'cards' of amateur athletes because there were no major league franchises in BB or FB west of the Rockies. Makes for some interesting stuff. Speaking of variations, that's a nice Ruth. I've not seen that one before.

There have been other newspaper issues too. A very similar one was called "This Day In Sports" and ran in the late 1950s-early 1960s. I got a stack of them when I bought a collection. Here are a few:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-26-2022 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:32 PM
Bob C.

Great Ruth's, and DiMaggio. Sports Stamps are not often seen as great collectibles since they aren't true cards. They rarely, if ever, come up for sale at AHs. There are some on Ebay, but they can have ridiculous BIN prices, and otherwise don't seem to ever sell for much, if they sell at all. For some reason, they are possibly looked upon a lot like pictures and articles cut from newspapers, the kind of things you often see in old scrapbooks, that never get much in the way of prices it seems.

As for grading complete panels, I've got a small collection of various Sports Stamps, with full panels. I've always seen the Sports Stamps have two different athletes making up their panels, sometimes side-by-side, and other times top-and bottom. Depended on the individual paper it seems, and how much room they had and what else was on the page when they printed them. So, for a TPG to grade them, there wouldn't be one single oversize slab they could use to encase them. Also, the Sports Stamps aren't all just baseball players. They are often seen with boxers, race car drivers (including midget race car drivers), football players, and others, and as far baseball, even seen them with Pacific Coast League players.

gonefishin, your Ruth looks like there are some stains or something on the back, possibly glue marks or something from being in a scrapbook possibly? That might keep your Ruth from getting anything other than an Authentic grade if you send it to a TPG. Still a nice piece.

And when you compare it to Adam's Ruth, you can also see that the different papers didn't necessarily have the exact same player images or bios on their Sports Stamps. I've also seen a much different image and bio for the DiMaggio Sports Stamp than the one Adam has, on one that was in the Los Angeles Examiner. In that LA one, DiMaggio literally looks like some teenage kid. And the bio talks about how DiMaggio, Giuseppe, Crosetti, and Lazzeri, San Francisco Italians, are Yankee manager Joe McCarthy's nemesis when they all start talking in Italian around him.

The old Krause/Sports Collectors Digests used to have checklists of just the ballplayers for two or three of the different newspapers that printed these Sports Stamps, if I remember correctly. And they definitely were not identical checklists. So, there could very easily be different baseball players included on Sports Stamps published in these other newspapers for which Krause/SCD published no checklists. I would guess someone could look to see if there are archives for the other newspapers known to have included Sports Stamps in 1936, and if so, search them to come up with additional checklists.

If you check the Pop Reports for PSA, they do show some graded full panels including two individuals on the Sports Stamps. So they do grade the full panels in that regard. And obviously from Adam's graded Ruth Sports Stamp, you can see they also grade them with the stamp AND the full bio, and not just the stamp itself. What is very odd though is that PSA's Pop Report doesn't show that they have graded any Sports Stamps that did not come from the Detroit Times. Not sure why that is the only newspaper they show as having graded Sports Stamps from. The Sports Stamps appeared in eight different newspaper publications across the country I believe. I'm pretty sure that Krause/SCD included a checklist for the Detroit Times Sports Stamps. I wonder if PSA was following Krause/SCD, and would only grade items that were listed in it? Just a wild guess as to maybe why PSA doesn't seem to have graded any Sports Stamps from other newspaper publications.

Anyway, here's a link to the Pre-War Cards site, and an article about these Sports Stamps, and which newspapers they were printed in. Getting your Ruth Sports Stamp graded should help the value, even if it only gets an Authentic grade, if that is what you're looking for. Unfortunately, it may still not get what you think a Ruth item should be worth, based on what all the other Ruth cards and items seem to be going for these days. It is from a newspaper, and is not from Ruth's playing days. Good luck with your Ruth Sports Stamp. Still a great item in my opinion.

https://prewarcards.com/2016/09/09/1...and-checklist/

Last edited by BobC; 05-26-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:00 PM
Bob C.

And by the way, SGC grades them also, but don't see on their Pop Reports where they've ever graded a full panel with two players/sports figures. Also, they seem to be limited to only having graded Sports Stamps from three newspapers, the Detroit Times, the Pittsburg Sun-Telegraph and the Sporting News. These might be the only newspapers that Krause/SCD printed Sports Stamp checklists for, I'd have to go back and look. And maybe that is why those are the only newspapers SGC has graded Sports Stamps from. And SGC has graded far fewer of these Sports Stamps than PSA has, like maybe only a dozen, total. Also, most all of SGC's graded baseball player Sports Stamps are only graded Authentic, with the very few that did get a numerical grade having none higher than a 1.5.

PSA hasn't graded very many of these baseball player Sports Stamps either, less than 100 total based on their Pop Reports. I'm assuming this has a lot to do with Sports Stamps not usually selling for very much, and no set collectors looking to get a top spot on their Registry for these.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:41 AM

Thanks Bob, great information and I appreciate the information. I was doing research on the stamps over the last few weeks and did note that both PSA and SGC had a few in their population report and noted a dual graded stamp. I also took note that PSA seemed to have only the Detroit Press version. I have several stamps from the Chicago American and also the Sporting News All Star Stamps.

Yes, I did remove this from an original 1935-36 scrapbook that contained numerous newspaper clippings and articles from 1936. The majority were focused on the Cubs, Cardinals and Yankees. All were in outstanding condition but were of course attached to a page. The substance used to attach them wasn't glue, but felt more like a salt like substance. Some came off rather easily but some did not.

What really got my attention in the scrapbook was the complete panels as I had not previously seen any complete panels that contained 6 players.

Attached is a picture of a 6 stamp panel that I'm talking about. It contains some pretty big names since it was the 1936 All Star version, including Dizzy Dean.

Have you seen a 6 panel version before? I think they are pretty scarce. Since they are so fragile, I think encapsulation would really help in preserving them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7680.jpg (193.5 KB, 1053 views)
Old 05-27-2022, 10:14 AM
Todd Schultz

Great panel. I can now see why you want to have that preserved. What are the measurements? It looks like PSA would have a holder that size or very near.

Here's another discussion of these from a little while back. Since I posted in it, I should have remembered that these can receive numeric grades. Seems my memory is slipping a bit. BTW, you can add the Washington Herald to the list of newspapers that carried these stamps, if you didn't already.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=292552
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:40 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Thanks Bob, great information and I appreciate the information. I was doing research on the stamps over the last few weeks and did note that both PSA and SGC had a few in their population report and noted a dual graded stamp. I also took note that PSA seemed to have only the Detroit Press version. I have several stamps from the Chicago American and also the Sporting News All Star Stamps.

Yes, I did remove this from an original 1935-36 scrapbook that contained numerous newspaper clippings and articles from 1936. The majority were focused on the Cubs, Cardinals and Yankees. All were in outstanding condition but were of course attached to a page. Th e substance used to attach them wasn't glue, but felt more like a salt like substance. Some came off rather easily but some did not.

What really got my attention in the scrapbook was the complete panels as I had not previously seen any complete panels that contained 6 players.

Attached is a picture of a 6 stamp panel that I'm talking about. It contains some pretty big names since it was the 1936 All Star version, including Dizzy Dean.

Have you seen a 6 panel version before? I think they are pretty scarce. Since they are so fragile, I think encapsulation would really help in preserving them.
No, I have not seen a six stamp panel before, that is really fantastic. I don't have any Sports Stamps from the Sporting News, at least not yet. I've got dual player/athlete Sports Stamp panels from the Detroit Times and Los Angeles Examiner. I think that most regular newspapers, like those two, issued these Sports Stamps in dual player/athlete panels, and that the six player panel you have may be unique to just the Sporting News. Since the Sporting News is not a general newspaper for a specific city/area, they may have opted to do more of these at once, whereas the regular papers limited themselves due to whatever reasons.

In addition to those Sports Stamps I have from the Detroit Times and Los Angeles Examiner, I've also got single player/athlete Sports Stamps from the Atlanta Georgian-American, Boston American, and Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph. So I have Sports Stamps from five of the eight different publications they were printed in. Just missing examples from the Chicago American, Sporting News, and Sunday Advertiser, which I'm hoping to come across some day. I also have a few of other newspaper cutouts called Baseball Scrap Book, that appear to be issued in 1934, based on dates on the items and a Yankees-Tigers box score on the reverse of one showing Ruth and Gehrig in the NY lineup. These included portraits of two players side-by-side, and actually had the player images sequentially numbered, as in a numbered set. Not sure what newspaper they were from, but I do have two of these Baseball Scrap Book cutouts with player images numbered 37 and 38. The thing is though, they are of different players, which makes me wonder it they are possibly from different newspapers that printed the sets in different numerical order. I think these Sports Stamps (and Baseball Scrap Book cutouts) are fantastic items, very underappreciated, and for now, still relatively cheap. The trick is finding them for sale, if you can. The fact that they were cut out from newspapers 86+ years ago, and have survived till today, is truly amazing if you ask me.

Your six-player panel is truly outstanding though. I don't know if PSA would grade it, since they only seem to grade the stamps from the Detroit Times, but SGC's Pop Reports show they have graded one single Sports Stamp from the Sporting News, a Lou Gehrig stamp. So, SGC may grade your six-player panel, assuming they can fit it into one of their oversized slabs. You can always contact them and ask. Good luck with that panel, it is a great piece!

And if you've got any extra Sports Stamps from the newspapers I'm still missing examples of, and interested to maybe trade to get ones from other publications you don't have as well , let me know and maybe we can do some swapping. LOL Take care.

Last edited by BobC; 05-27-2022 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:45 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Great panel. I can now see why you want to have that preserved. What are the measurements? It looks like PSA would have a holder that size or very near.

Here's another discussion of these from a little while back. Since I posted in it, I should have remembered that these can receive numeric grades. Seems my memory is slipping a bit. BTW, you can add the Washington Herald to the list of newspapers that carried these stamps, if you didn't already.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=292552
Thanks, I forgot about the Washington Herald. That is another thing about these Sports Stamps. Chances are there are other newspapers they may have been printed in that aren't really known to collectors, or listed anywhere.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:47 AM
bR!@N R0+H

SGC grades them if they are cut out too. I also have a Pittsburgh Telegraph Greenberg but the border that shows which newspaper is cut out so it's otherwise impossible to determine which periodical it came from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_715370293002778.jpg (200.4 KB, 1032 views)

Greenberg collection
Old 05-27-2022, 12:01 PM

Thanks Bob. I kind of regret removing the majority of sports stamps from the binder because it was truly unique. There were 4, six panel pages in the album and one of the panels contained a DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig and Joe McCarthy stamp which is pretty cool in the same panel. There are also some great articles from the day, with several regarding Gehrig, DiMaggio and Dizzy Dean.

Since everyone has been so helpful with the Sports Stamps, maybe some members might help identify a couple of players in a photo I have. A few years ago I acquired several personal photos and ephemera that belonged to Jimmie Wilson. Wilson passed away in 1947. All the items were authentic and original from the period. The photo in question is a picture of Wilson, Bob Feller in uniform and 2 other people I just can't recognize. Maybe someone out there can assist. Maybe it needs to be a separate post, I'm not sure. Regardless, attached is the photo. I greatly appreciate any thoughts on who the other people are. I believe the photo was taken in Florida at a Spring Training session probably around 43-45 period. If this should be a different thread I apologize. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7682.jpg (196.0 KB, 1036 views)
Old 05-27-2022, 12:43 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
SGC grades them if they are cut out too. I also have a Pittsburgh Telegraph Greenberg but the border that shows which newspaper is cut out so it's otherwise impossible to determine which periodical it came from.
Those are great. Too bad they cut off the bios that went underneath the stamps. And I have a few Sports Stamps where they cut off the name of the newspaper also, so like you, can't positively identify which newspaper they may have been issued with.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:47 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Thanks Bob. I kind of regret removing the majority of sports stamps from the binder because it was truly unique. There were 4, six panel pages in the album and one of the panels contained a DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig and Joe McCarthy stamp which is pretty cool in the same panel. There are also some great articles from the day, with several regarding Gehrig, DiMaggio and Dizzy Dean.

Since everyone has been so helpful with the Sports Stamps, maybe some members might help identify a couple of players in a photo I have. A few years ago I acquired several personal photos and ephemera that belonged to Jimmie Wilson. Wilson passed away in 1947. All the items were authentic and original from the period. The photo in question is a picture of Wilson, Bob Feller in uniform and 2 other people I just can't recognize. Maybe someone out there can assist. Maybe it needs to be a separate post, I'm not sure. Regardless, attached is the photo. I greatly appreciate any thoughts on who the other people are. I believe the photo was taken in Florida at a Spring Training session probably around 43-45 period. If this should be a different thread I apologize. Thanks.
Wow! Four different six-player panels, that is fantastic. Sounds like you just had Sporting News issued Sports Stamps in this scrapbook then.

And that picture is fantastic as well, though I'm no help as to who the other two people in it are. Sounds like this scrapbook had some great items in it.

Last edited by BobC; 05-27-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:09 PM
Mike

There is a 12 player panel from the 1936 Detroit Times from June 28th, 1936. When I get my scanner working again I will post. That's why there are 12 variations in the Detroit Times set. These 12 stamps are different than the ones that were issued in 2 card panels on different dates. If you have any questions on this set let me know, I've done a lot of micro-film research.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:17 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
There is a 12 player panel from the 1936 Detroit Times from June 28th, 1936. When I get my scanner working again I will post. That's why there are 12 variations in the Detroit Times set. These 12 stamps are different than the ones that were issued in 2 card panels on different dates. If you have any questions on this set let me know, I've done a lot of micro-film research.
I had never heard of a 12 player-panel before. That is crazy.

So little is really known about these Sports Stamps if you ask me. Very underappreciated and undervalued IMO. Especially when you can find them in virtually pristine shape from when they were cut from the papers. wonder if there also isn't a complete page or two out there somewhere with these stamps still on them. Scott Russell's recent auction had a complete newspaper page with a Walter Johson Rinkydink stamp on it from 1927. Had never seen one of those before.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:25 PM
Mike

Here's a previous thread with the 12 card panel from the June 28th Detroit times and an ad about the Stamps : https://net54baseball.com/showthread...detroit+stamps

The 12 Panel Detroit Times Stamps are Variations from June 28th , 1936 :

Here's the 12 variations : Braddock ( James J. / Jimmy ), Canzoneri ( teeth showing/no teeth showing ), Christensen ( Geo./ George), Cochrane ( white cap/dark cap), Dean (Bio first line "Star pitcher of"/ "of" on second line), Dempsey ( Bio ends "$2,000,000 / Bio ends "daughter"), Gehrig ( Bio first line "slugging first"/"slugging"), Gehringer ( Charles/Chas.), Goslin ( white cap/dark cap), Rowe ( white cap/dark cap), Sarazen ( Dark background both sides ear down with large head/ Dark background one side only ear down with smaller head ), Schmeling ( teeth showing/no teeth showing).

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 05-27-2022 at 01:38 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-27-2022, 01:28 PM
Joe Jones

My collection here:https://imageevent.com/joejo20
Old 05-27-2022, 01:41 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Fun stuff. Newspaper 'cards' were made for decades. I've catalogued some of the sets, been frustrated with the rest.

Nice Joe D, Joe J.

I usually go after the older, tougher ones of HOFers. It is a great way to collect on the cheap (tho some are getting expensive). The bios are often very colorful: "...this side of his 22nd birthday." What a fun way to say Joe D is 21 years old.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-27-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Are you sure Bob Feller is in this photo? I don't see him; he was fighting WWII in 1943-45.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:13 PM

Yes, Jimmie Wilson is on the right and Bob Feller is sitting next to him in the Naval uniform. It's the other 2 gents I can't identify.

An interesting piece of history is Jimmie Wilson's son, 2dLt Robert J. Wilson, was a casualty of WWII. He served in the Army Air Forces and died in a plane crash on November 28, 1944. Jimmie died a few years later in 1947. May they both RIP.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:26 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Those are great. Too bad they cut off the bios that went underneath the stamps. And I have a few Sports Stamps where they cut off the name of the newspaper also, so like you, can't positively identify which newspaper they may have been issued with.
I don't mind the bios missing. I still have the one that went with the Detroit Times, but I bought an album full of the Washington Herald Stamps and cut out the Greenberg and sent it in.

Greenberg collection
Old 05-27-2022, 04:29 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Here's a previous thread with the 12 card panel from the June 28th Detroit times and an ad about the Stamps : https://net54baseball.com/showthread...detroit+stamps

The 12 Panel Detroit Times Stamps are Variations from June 28th , 1936 :

Here's the 12 variations : Braddock ( James J. / Jimmy ), Canzoneri ( teeth showing/no teeth showing ), Christensen ( Geo./ George), Cochrane ( white cap/dark cap), Dean (Bio first line "Star pitcher of"/ "of" on second line), Dempsey ( Bio ends "$2,000,000 / Bio ends "daughter"), Gehrig ( Bio first line "slugging first"/"slugging"), Gehringer ( Charles/Chas.), Goslin ( white cap/dark cap), Rowe ( white cap/dark cap), Sarazen ( Dark background both sides ear down with large head/ Dark background one side only ear down with smaller head ), Schmeling ( teeth showing/no teeth showing).
Thanks Mike,

Somehow missed that thread. Some great items in it.

By the way, did the checklisting and all you did, was that just for the Detroit Times Sports Stamps, or did you look at issues from any of the other papers as well?
Old 05-27-2022, 04:57 PM

Here are a couple of interesting articles from the 1936 Chicago American talking about the rookie Joe DiMaggio that I thought you might find interesting. They're still attached to the original scrapbook page so I apologize for the photo quality in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7684.jpg (189.0 KB, 1025 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7685.jpg (190.8 KB, 1022 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7683.jpg (186.0 KB, 1021 views)
Old 05-27-2022, 07:02 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I don't mind the bios missing. I still have the one that went with the Detroit Times, but I bought an album full of the Washington Herald Stamps and cut out the Greenberg and sent it in.
That is great. If you're interested in maybe trading some of your Washington Herald Sports Stamps for others from a different paper, let me know. I'd let to eventually get at least one or two Sports Stamps from each of the known publications they appeared in.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:03 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Here are a couple of interesting articles from the 1936 Chicago American talking about the rookie Joe DiMaggio that I thought you might find interesting. They're still attached to the original scrapbook page so I apologize for the photo quality in advance.
Those are great.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:03 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:
That is great. If you're interested in maybe trading some of your Washington Herald Sports Stamps for others from a different paper, let me know. I'd let to eventually get at least one or two Sports Stamps from each of the known publications they appeared in.
I ended up selling them all to Rhett back in 2018 (I think). He may still have them.

Greenberg collection
Old 05-27-2022, 08:15 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I ended up selling them all to Rhett back in 2018 (I think). He may still have them.
LOL

Story of my life, too late as usual. Thanks anyway Zan.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

from my last collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pstunc1936newspaperstamps2.jpg (194.8 KB, 988 views)
Old 05-31-2022, 10:26 AM
Mike

Does anybody have a complete list of all the newspapers which carried the "Sport Stamps" in 1936. Here's a list I have to get started, anymore ?

Detroit Times
Boston American
Sunday Advertiser ( Boston ? )
Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph
The Sporting News
Chicago American
Washington Herald
Los Angeles Examiner
Omaha Bee-News
Atlanta Georgian-American (Minor League)
Old 06-07-2022, 05:59 PM
Mike

Bump . No additions to the list ?
Old 06-10-2022, 10:04 AM

I thought I would post that I sent off my Ruth, DiMaggio, Dizzy Dean and Lou Gehrig sports stamps from the Chicago American to PSA yesterday for grading and encapsulation. They don't have any in their pop report, only the Detroit Times and Sporting News. So I guess we will find out if they will grade stamps from some of the other papers in a couple of months. I've attached a copy of the front and back of the DiMaggio for your viewing. I'm hoping it will receive a number grade!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DiMaggio 1.jpg (214.7 KB, 890 views)
File Type: jpg DiMaggio 2.jpg (201.4 KB, 894 views)
Old 06-10-2022, 09:14 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I thought I would post that I sent off my Ruth, DiMaggio, Dizzy Dean and Lou Gehrig sports stamps from the Chicago American to PSA yesterday for grading and encapsulation. They don't have any in their pop report, only the Detroit Times and Sporting News. So I guess we will find out if they will grade stamps from some of the other papers in a couple of months. I've attached a copy of the front and back of the DiMaggio for your viewing. I'm hoping it will receive a number grade!
Nice DiMaggio. I hope PSA will grade them for you.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Nice DiMaggio. I hope PSA will grade them for you.
Just a quick update. I'm getting my Sports Stamps back from PSA today and they would NOT grade them. I find that unusual as they are no different than the Sporting News or Detroit version.

I guess it is off to SGC and see if they will.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:22 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I have numerous sports stamps graded by SGC. Can't imagine why they wouldn't give you an Authentic and a nice holder for those beautiful blocks.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:53 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Just a quick update. I'm getting my Sports Stamps back from PSA today and they would NOT grade them. I find that unusual as they are no different than the Sporting News or Detroit version.

I guess it is off to SGC and see if they will.
That is a shame, sorry to hear that. Can't figure out why they would grade them from one newspaper, but not another.

I did make a comment in a different thread yesterday about how TPGs don't really care that much for pre-war collectors from a true business standpoint. As much as we on Net54 love pre-war, it is by far not what drives the bottom line for TPGs. This appears to be another incident that just goes to prove that.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
That is a shame, sorry to hear that. Can't figure out why they would grade them from one newspaper, but not another.

I did make a comment in a different thread yesterday about how TPGs don't really care that much for pre-war collectors from a true business standpoint. As much as we on Net54 love pre-war, it is by far not what drives the bottom line for TPGs. This appears to be another incident that just goes to prove that.
Agreed. Here is a photo of one of the stamps that was returned. I sent the Ruth, DiMaggio, Gehrig and Dizzy D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8056.jpg (205.5 KB, 801 views)
Old 07-28-2022, 03:48 PM

As someone already mentioned, many people likely view these as nothing more than newspaper clippings. I'm steadfastly in that camp. Can't see any value there. That's not to say enjoyment can't be derived from them.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:36 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
As someone already mentioned, many people likely view these as nothing more than newspaper clippings. I'm steadfastly in that camp. Can't see any value there. That's not to say enjoyment can't be derived from them.
Some people do, and to each their own. But that doesn't change the fact many more people do think of them as a collectible, with value. And the rarity of these is beyond question. With their fragility, it is amazing how many have actually survived in decent shape. The fact that Bob Lemke had them included in the old Krause/Sports Collectors Digest catalogs is also proof of them being considered as serious collectibles as well.

However, in the old SCD catalogs they did not list or mention all the different newspapers that did print these Sports Stamps back in 1936. I've never confirmed this, but it seems that in regard to the question of PSA grading Sports Stamps from some newspapers, but not others, I get the impression that PSA only recognizes and grades the specific ones that got mentioned and listed in the SCD catalogs. If that is actually the case, it seems rather odd that a TPG of any size. reputation, and expertise would still have to rely upon a publication that hasn't been around for almost 5 years now to justify what they deem as an acceptable issue to be graded. Especially when all these different Sports Stamps are virtually identical in their formats and how they are printed. The only real difference between them was the name of the newspaper they were printed in.

So why a TPG would grade a Sports Stamp printed in a newspaper that was once listed in the SCD catalogs, but not grade one from one of the other newspapers SCD chose not to list in their catalogs, is beyond me. Anyone at a TPG could probably do a simple 5 - 10 minute online search and quickly find evidence to see that the Sports Stamps from various newspapers that weren't listed in the SCD catalogs are just as real as the ones that were listed.

As I said earlier, it may just go to show that the TPGs do not care as much for pre-war items and collectors as many of us would like to believe. They'll grade Funko Pops, but not take the time nor make the effort to grade all the different versions of Sports Stamps. My guess is that a huge factor in such a decision is that the TPGs will make waaaayyyyy more money grading Funko Pops, going forward, than they could ever hope to from grading a few more Sports Stamps.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:02 PM

Thanks to all for comments, background and opinions. I have GREAT news. I received all 4 back from SGC today. All graded, and they received number grades! I have attached pictures of all 4. Let's do a quick comparison.

I sent the stamps to PSA for regular processing ($50 per), they received them on June 14 (logged in), they were shipped back on July 26 as not graded (I wasn't charged).

I subsequently sent the stamps to SGC for regular processing ($30 per), they received them on Aug 1, graded and shipped them on Aug 3, and I received them today, Aug 5.

Wow - what a difference.

Regardless, I now have a reputable source to send my Sport Stamps to for grading. An absolutely amazing process and turn-a-round for SGC.

Any more thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8085.jpg (193.9 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8083.jpg (189.0 KB, 758 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8081.jpg (193.0 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8079.jpg (198.7 KB, 762 views)
Old 08-06-2022, 07:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

They look great!

Or not...
Old 08-06-2022, 06:35 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Bit of a long shot, but if anyone has a Beau Bell please let me know. I'll pay well for most any example.
Old 08-06-2022, 06:46 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Thanks to all for comments, background and opinions. I have GREAT news. I received all 4 back from SGC today. All graded, and they received number grades! I have attached pictures of all 4. Let's do a quick comparison.

I sent the stamps to PSA for regular processing ($50 per), they received them on June 14 (logged in), they were shipped back on July 26 as not graded (I wasn't charged).

I subsequently sent the stamps to SGC for regular processing ($30 per), they received them on Aug 1, graded and shipped them on Aug 3, and I received them today, Aug 5.

Wow - what a difference.

Regardless, I now have a reputable source to send my Sport Stamps to for grading. An absolutely amazing process and turn-a-round for SGC.

Any more thoughts?
babe ruth "temporarily" retired...it says!!!! what a golfer he was!!
Old 08-07-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
Bit of a long shot, but if anyone has a Beau Bell please let me know. I'll pay well for most any example.
Sorry, I have several but not this one. If he was an All-Star I would have it as I have them all, or if he was playing for the Cubs instead of the Browns I would probably have it.

Good Luck. Jim
Old 08-07-2022, 02:26 PM

Congrats on your SGC grades! These look fantastic graded together. Nice to know there is a place to go for grading sports stamps.

Quote:

Wow - what a difference.

Any more thoughts?