NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-20-2022, 06:45 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Default 1921 Baltimore Orioles Yearbook

I'm currently working on a book about the 1921 Baltimore Orioles and I was hoping on the off chance a member here might have been the winner of a 1921 Orioles yearbook that was sold by Huggins & Scott a few years back. I don't want to buy it, just hoping to have copies made or photos taken so I can read the contents.

This is what the yearbook looks like, from the Huggins & Scott auction listing:

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 8.38.57 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 8.38.45 PM.jpg

If anyone is interested to see the series of illustrations and biographies I did on the '21 Orioles you can see it here: https://studiogaryc.com/category/1921-orioles-team/
Old 05-21-2022, 01:32 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Very nice

And good luck with your project

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-24-2022, 03:27 PM
David McDonald

Gary: I acquired these two photographs about ten years ago. My captions have them as both being the 1921 Baltimore team. I can't recall any particulars of the purchase to confirm the date. The images may or may not be of interest to you but you are welcome to use them if you wish.

PS I can see I'm going to need some time to go through your 1921 roster of Orioles. Just read about Lefty Grove. Looking forward to reading the others. Great job!

Old 05-24-2022, 03:47 PM
David McDonald

An amendment to my previous post. I searched the N54 site and saw that I posted the Orioles batters photo in a thread in 2014 in which I quoted the AH description. It stated "1920s" and no specific year. I suppose one could narrow the season down by IDing the players and checking the roster but I am not up to the task.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...hlight=Orioles
Old 05-24-2022, 04:44 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

David,

Great photos!

I'm pretty sure the team photo is of the 1922 team. You can tell because the bird was facing to the right in 1921 and was flipped the next year. It would have to be 1922 because Jack Bentley, standing second from right, was sold to the Giants after the '22 season.

The other photo is a bit later, likely 1924-26 when the team had the double trim on their jerseys. I think I see Joe Boley, and he was sold after 1926. If I could ID some of the players the year could be narrowed even more.

Thanks for sharing those, the quality is great. I hope you enjoy the rest of the 1921 Orioles stories on my site.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:51 PM
David McDonald

Gary: Too bad I was off on the years but I appreciate your acumen in narrowing down the time frame. You artists really know your uniforms. The batter at the very right is Lefty Grove (according to the auction description and to my marginally educated eye). He left for the Bigs after the 1924 season so that may help pin down the year.

DMcD

http://apr14.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=67200

Last edited by Kawika; 05-24-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:06 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I think we can say if that's Grove (or Groves as he was known then) then it's a 1924 photograph.

Card guys might like to see the Boston Garter billboard/clock in the background
Old 05-25-2022, 06:40 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

wow some great team photos

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-27-2022, 12:23 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Speaking of uniforms, here's a handy chart I made of the 1919-1925 Orioles uniforms. At a quick glance, it looks like most of the uniforms are the same, but there are a few small details that can narrow down the years a bit.

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 2.21.08 PM.jpg

Last edited by jerseygary; 05-27-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:38 PM

I came across an old legend to your photo of the 1922 Baltimore Orioles. Thank you so much for posting the beautiful photograph. I have copied the legend, and I have added a few suggested corrections. I feel pretty good about the identity of all the players, with the exception of Jackie Reid, who was with the team in late August up to and probably including the Junior World Series in October, but he did not receive any Series bonus. Everyone else in the photo (other than fan and booster Wm. H. "Billy" Gordon) received a full bonus, or in the case of Sewell Dixon & Eddie Weidner, a one-third share. The only other player I am not sure about is Joe Barry, which is a shame because he was the focus of my research. I suspect the photo was taken 2 Oct 1922, when the O's hosted a double header against the International League All-Stars and Gordon hosted his annual dinner for the team, the St. Paul Saints, and League and Baltimore muckety-mucks, just prior to the Junior World Series, which began 4 Oct 1922. The legend is as follows, but bracketed language is mine: BACK ROW, L-R: Harry Fisher [sic, Jackie Reid?], Jack Ogden, Jimmy Walsh, unknown [Joe Barry], Ed Weidner (trainer); Mr. Gordon, Jack Bentley, Lefty Grove, Rube Parnham. MIDDLE ROW, L-R: Wickey McAvoy, Dick Porter, unknown [Sewell W. Dixon], unknown [Harry Gilmore Frank], Jack Dunn (Manager), Max Bishop, Tommy Thomas, Joe Boley. FRONT ROW, L-R: Merwin Jacobson, Otis Lawry, Fritz Maisel, Lena Styles. -- On another note, I noticed that the Library of Congress has a fantastic high resolution photograph of the 1921 Baltimore Orioles, with Oriole Park in the background, if anyone is looking for additional photos.