NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-13-2022, 05:03 AM
Tony Baldwin

Default Is It Your Responsibility To Let The Seller Know?

If someone is selling a card or memorabilia for a price you know is way below its worth, is it your responsibility to let the seller know?

I say no, but depending on the item (if the gap in asking price and actual value is way off), I have offered the seller more than what they were asking.

But I do think it is wrong if you know it and you then try to get it for an even lower price.

Thanks, Tony
Old 05-13-2022, 05:46 AM
Paul Lehr

My opinion has always been that it's not my place to price someone else's stuff, nor is it my duty to educate them on what they have. If the price is to high IMO I make an offer or just move on. If the price is ridiculously low I'm going to buy with a clean conscience and still sleep well at night.

Others will I'm sure disagree with this and that's fine, to each their own.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
My opinion has always been that it's not my place to price someone else's stuff, nor is it my duty to educate them on what they have. If the price is to high IMO I make an offer or just move on. If the price is ridiculously low I'm going to buy with a clean conscience and still sleep well at night.

Others will I'm sure disagree with this and that's fine, to each their own.
+1. It is the sellers responsibility to know the items they are selling. My education has taken time and money.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:48 AM
Mark

It depends on who is selling the item for me. If the individual is in the business of selling and buying memorabilia then completely agree with the previous comments. All is fair.

However, if the seller is completely unfamiliar with the hobby - a collector’s widow or selling a family heirloom for example - then I will educate the seller to the best of my ability and make a fair market value offer, typically more than their original asking price.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:54 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Agree with all the above. That’s why when I sell something I am not sure of, well that is what auctions are for.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 05-13-2022, 09:30 AM
Scott Smith

I recently purchased a nice Ted W. auto that had a pretty low BIN, much lower than what a Ted W. auto should go for, and a "best offer" option. I was happy with the BIN and did not try and nickle-and-dime my way to a price that could be seen as "highway robbery." I also didn't want to chance someone else hitting the BIN before my offer was resolved.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:08 AM
Tony Baldwin

Appreciate the responses, which I also agree with.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:17 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default It can backfire on you

I’ve had situations where I saw the selling price was too low or maybe rarer items mixed in with commons…. I tell the seller and make him a very fair and higher offer than was asked …. And he gets freaked out thinking he’s sitting on a gold mine and nixes the deal altogether!!!! Based on some bad experiences like this I usually just buy or don’t buy based on the price asked for. I’ve seen it come down like this on TV shows also like Pawn Stars and American Pickers….. where an expert weighs in with a much higher price and then the seller jacks his price through the roof. That always makes me kind of angry when I see that.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:12 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's all about context.

• If I'm looking on eBay and run across a horrifically underpriced card (which is basically the only thing I look for), I buy it without giving it a second thought. The seller is responsible for his/her pricing and there is no onus on me to edify.

• If I'm at a garage sale and an elderly widow gives me a price that is criminally low on her husband's card collection (yeah, like I've ever been lucky enough to have that scenario unfold!!), I'd say, "No way! That would be ripping you off," and would up the price accordingly to something that reflects the true value of the cardboard.

• If there was a combo of these two, say an eBayer who had no clue what's going on and truly made a mistake (and is a nice person) listing it for what he/she did, I would contact them afterwards to help right the situation...which would allow me to sleep at night.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:47 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
I’ve had situations where I saw the selling price was too low or maybe rarer items mixed in with commons…. I tell the seller and make him a very fair and higher offer than was asked …. And he gets freaked out thinking he’s sitting on a gold mine and nixes the deal altogether!!!! Based on some bad experiences like this I usually just buy or don’t buy based on the price asked for. I’ve seen it come down like this on TV shows also like Pawn Stars and American Pickers….. where an expert weighs in with a much higher price and then the seller jacks his price through the roof. That always makes me kind of angry when I see that.
+1! When word gets around that you are a collector, neighbors, friends, colleagues and a slew of other folks will start letting you know about collections. They all have visions of hundreds of thousands of dollars coming their way. After you have viewed the cards the first question is always "What are they worth?" or the classic "I had this card and that card but my mother threw all of my cards in the trash."
Old 05-14-2022, 02:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

I usually just buy whatever it is I think is underpriced.

The exception I make is the occasional dealer I know well. I'm not a massively outgoing person, so the handful of dealers I would regularly go to are more friends than anything else.
It's been a long time since I had it happen with a card dealer, as most of the shops I hung out at are long gone.
But I have had it with the stamp dealer I see whenever I can. He had a nice but obscure variety priced way below what it should have been, but just right for the basic version. I told him, and he was like "Hmm... I have it priced at $10 but you know it's the variety. In that case for you it's $10"
Old 05-14-2022, 04:27 PM
Rob

As a rule, I always let sellers know when their prices are too high. I don't worry about the too low ones.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:23 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
+1! When word gets around that you are a collector, neighbors, friends, colleagues and a slew of other folks will start letting you know about collections. They all have visions of hundreds of thousands of dollars coming their way. After you have viewed the cards the first question is always "What are they worth?" or the classic "I had this card and that card but my mother threw all of my cards in the trash."
Wow so very true. So many people ask what their stuff is worth or can I look at their stuff or I have a jeter rookie and saw one went for $100k so what do I have and it is never the right card or right condition. But I smile and help them as best possible. Tough sometimes to be nice but I think it is only right to try and steer them where possible.
When it comes to buying something that is being sold low as others said it is all situational and then I determine what is best thing to do. But no fast steady rule

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-16-2022, 10:18 AM

I was at a card show several years back and walked over to a dealer with a fairly large display of cards for sale. I was looking for '48 Bowman. I noticed a card in his case marked "1948 Bowman", but it was a '48 Leaf. I asked the dealer if he had any '48 Bowmans, he directed me to the Leaf card in his case. I can't remember the player, but I do remember there was a fairly significant price differential between the Bowman and the Leaf (the Leaf being costlier). The dealer responded to my original question with disdain as if I was wasting his time because the card was "clearly" marked in his display case.

So I bought it.

Didn't feel bad - he should have known what he was selling. And shouldn't have been an a**hole about it.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:24 AM
John E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
It's all about context.

• If I'm looking on eBay and run across a horrifically underpriced card (which is basically the only thing I look for), I buy it without giving it a second thought. The seller is responsible for his/her pricing and there is no onus on me to edify.

• If I'm at a garage sale and an elderly widow gives me a price that is criminally low on her husband's card collection (yeah, like I've ever been lucky enough to have that scenario unfold!!), I'd say, "No way! That would be ripping you off," and would up the price accordingly to something that reflects the true value of the cardboard.

• If there was a combo of these two, say an eBayer who had no clue what's going on and truly made a mistake (and is a nice person) listing it for what he/she did, I would contact them afterwards to help right the situation...which would allow me to sleep at night.
This is how I'd handle all of these situations as well, with one small catch on the last example. I'd make it right for the ebayer AFTER the item is in my hand. That way, less chance they back out.