NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Default Je Ne Regrette Rien

Posted By: Rich Klein

Edith Piaf may not have regretted anything she did in her life, but the rest of us always have something out there

What is the ONE thing in collecting/dealing/investing in sports cards and memorabilia that you regret.? Could be selling somthing too cheap, not buying an item whicn you never saw again, etc. let us know

Rich

Old 10-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

(1) Didn't buy the other 1970 Topps Cloth sticker I saw at a show because $75 was too much.
(2) Didn't bid higher on the 1951 Topps Major League All-Stars Eddie Stanky card that showed up on eBay.
(3) Didn't buy a T206 Wagner when I had the chance.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

I regret that I didn't take better care of my cards throughout the years, the pre- and post-war purchased as a kid, long before the shiny stuff hit the market.

It's a double-edged sword, because I don't regret one moment of handling them (in fact, I still handle them -- Egad!, such a crime...I LOVE IT!, I'd sleep with them if the wife wouldn't have me committed -- and still they are not graded with no regrets.) Yet, during the couple of decades they were socked away they have lost some "quality" due to some corner knocking, slight rubber band marks here or there, climate change, etc., by not being properly stored. Now, of course they are all in toploaders/penny sleeves. I'm not whining about the current financial value of many is not what it might have been, because really, I got them for a song back then, so who can complain?

My biggest lament among them all is that a once beautifully intact 1921 Exhibit display machine dispenser piece ("Base Ball Stars Insert 1 Cent") -- intact with sixteen cards, almost half of them HOFers, including Ruth, is, alas, nowhere near what it once was. I bought it for $5(!) about 1968. At the time my dad said, 'Hey, that's really neat. You should get it framed." I should have listened to him -- he was ahead of his time.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Bob, do you have the 70 cloth sticker of Seaver? Do you know who does?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Paul,

No and no. Wish I did to both questions.

Bob

Old 10-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony N.

2 similar situations.
Both cards were offered by friends, and the last one I needed (and still need) to complete the 2 sets. Both offered me months to pay, but I didn't want to owe anyone. Both insisted they didn't care, and again, I refused.
And in both cases the card has doubled in the 3-4 years since I declined.
'15 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson, and '33 Goudey Lajoie.
It might be years, if ever, before I finish those sets now.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

staying focused & working to complete bowman and topps sets in the 80's and not spending any money on pre-war.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Ray

Does it have to be ONE thing? That's pretty tough.....

1) PLaying with my great uncle George (Nap) Rucker's hat and Dodgers jacket as a child after they were given to my mom after we visited him down south one summer in late 60s.
They were beautiful. Gave them to my yougner brother when I went away to college (they were in my closet at home)...and...he was a bad apple at the time (late 70s)...he sold them both for drugs (and this was back when they weren't worth as much as they would have been now). I would have absolutely kept them downstairs with my father's WW2 army stuff. And still have them to this day. I'm still ashamed my brother gave away these family heirlooms to this day,although he himself has straightened out.

2) Like most others, giving away all my dad's cards (tons of beaufitul goudeys,along with about a dozen Ruths and Gehrigs...guess they weren't too scarce back in the day)...AND all my 60s and early 70s cards...all perfectly preserved right from the packs to my neatly-rowed shoeboxes...along with the wrappers! Gave them away to my cousin (also when I went away to college),with whom I have no contact with anymore. Along with my cards and my dad's cards,my next door neighbor gave HIS 50s and early 60s cards to ME when He went away to school in mid 60s,and I kept THEM with MY cards,too. Can't imagine how much vintage I would have to this day...common enough story,I guess,huh? The SMART ones held onto their cards:-)