NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 11-17-2022, 11:35 AM
Ben North

Default eBay message

Got a message from eBay today urging me to urge Congress to raise the tax reporting threshold. I would imagine the new $600 level is killing their bottom line.

In the items I look for there are way less now than last year. I have noticed as the year goes on the selection has gotten even worse. Even the sellers with several accounts I know quit selling months ago to avoid the $600 threshold for each account.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:40 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Got a message from eBay today urging me to urge Congress to raise the tax reporting threshold. I would imagine the new $600 level is killing their bottom line.

In the items I look for there are way less now than last year. I have noticed as the year goes on the selection has gotten even worse. Even the sellers with several accounts I know quit selling months ago to avoid the $600 threshold for each account.
my eBay buying is down over 250% lately; lot less listings the last few months of reasonably priced items (defined as items that might actually sell and are not listed as a digital museum). I think next year is when the listings will really evaporate. A lot of casual sellers and collectors selling some extras do not really understand this yet, and are going to be shocked when they get a 1099 that assumes 100% of their sales were 100% profit and taxable at 25-50% rates.

Such a bill doesn't seem plausible. It could pass the House but would seem to be DOA in the Senate next year too. I don't think writing a congressman ever works, something tells me mine does not care what I think.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:14 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Maybe 620 dollars of 1099 enforcement is why we need 87000 IRS hires?

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:28 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Why is the 1099 threshold such a big deal? Regardless of whether the threshold is $10 or $10,000, in an IRS audit, you are going to have to demonstrate you accounted for the income going into your bank/Paypal/investment accounts. And, if you did not include the income on your tax return you could be in a world of hurt. If you could somehow get paid by Ebay in food or untraceable assets, it might be difficult for the IRS to track your income. But when you get the audit notice and the IRS asks to see your bank statements for the past 24 months, all of the eBay managed payment deposits are right there. If these are not reflected in your tax return, you're not going to have a good day.

The ones that should be complaining about the 1099 reporting are the entities now required to send out 1099s. That is an administrative hassle and quite expensive.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:05 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
Why is the 1099 threshold such a big deal? Regardless of whether the threshold is $10 or $10,000, in an IRS audit, you are going to have to demonstrate you accounted for the income going into your bank/Paypal/investment accounts. And, if you did not include the income on your tax return you could be in a world of hurt. If you could somehow get paid by Ebay in food or untraceable assets, it might be difficult for the IRS to track your income. But when you get the audit notice and the IRS asks to see your bank statements for the past 24 months, all of the eBay managed payment deposits are right there. If these are not reflected in your tax return, you're not going to have a good day.

The ones that should be complaining about the 1099 reporting are the entities now required to send out 1099s. That is an administrative hassle and quite expensive.
It is such a big deal because it causes so many more people to now be actively looked at for federal income tax purposes. You are correct that the IRS upon audit and review can (and will in some cases) request and review taxpayer bank records. However, that would typically only occur in instances where the IRS had actually selected that particular taxpayer's return for audit. And the audit rate for taxpayer's individual returns, especially for those with lower overall income, are extremely low. Without receiving one of these specific 1099-K forms, if the taxpayer didn't voluntarily report their Ebay sales on their federal tax return, the IRS frankly wouldn't even know (or likely care) that the person was selling things on Ebay.

But with the lowered reporting threshold, the IRS now has to pay more attention to all those returns of people receiving these 1099-K reporting forms. And the people receiving them now have to make sure they report their Ebay sales activity on their federal tax returns, whereas in the past when they didn't receive a 1099-K form they easily got away with reporting nothing. The IRS as a matter of policy effectively matches 100% of all 1099, W-2, and any other similar types of tax reporting forms they receive to the recipient's respective federal tax return, WITHOUT FAIL! So, if you now get one of these 1099-K reporting forms from Ebay sales and don't report it on your tax return, you WILL (not maybe) be contacted by the IRS and subject to their scrutiny and audit. This creates way more work for taxpayers, tax preparers, companies/people issuing these 1099-K forms, and obviously of course, the IRS.

Honestly, most all these Ebay sellers should have been reporting their sales activity on their tax returns all along. But with the lowered 1099-K reporting threshold, that choice is no longer optional once their gross sales subject to such reporting hit $600 in any given year.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:40 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Maybe 620 dollars of 1099 enforcement is why we need 87000 IRS hires?
Though as I pointed out in my previous post that the lowered reporting threshold will increase the workload of the IRS, I'm assuming you meant this as a type of joking/satirical statement or comment, and certainly not as a type of veiled political comment, right?

And just to be very clear and honest, and so that no one mistakenly takes what you said as even remotely serious, the IRS has been severely underfunded and staffed for quite a few years now, and actually more like decades. The recently passed bill to increase their funding during the remainder of this decade is primarily to finally address their severely lacking technical capabilities and systems, and at least try to get them into the 21st century, allow them to be able to replace and train the tens of thousands of IRS employees set to retire in the coming years, and yes, hire some additional people (not the ridiculously and politically proposed 87,000 figure) so the IRS can finally do the work they're supposed to do on behalf of the taxpaying public, like actually answering the phone when someone calls with a question (and the person taking the call actually being able to answer the question).
Old 11-18-2022, 07:10 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Though as I pointed out in my previous post that the lowered reporting threshold will increase the workload of the IRS, I'm assuming you meant this as a type of joking/satirical statement or comment, and certainly not as a type of veiled political comment, right?

And just to be very clear and honest, and so that no one mistakenly takes what you said as even remotely serious, the IRS has been severely underfunded and staffed for quite a few years now, and actually more like decades. The recently passed bill to increase their funding during the remainder of this decade is primarily to finally address their severely lacking technical capabilities and systems, and at least try to get them into the 21st century, allow them to be able to replace and train the tens of thousands of IRS employees set to retire in the coming years, and yes, hire some additional people (not the ridiculously and politically proposed 87,000 figure) so the IRS can finally do the work they're supposed to do on behalf of the taxpaying public, like actually answering the phone when someone calls with a question (and the person taking the call actually being able to answer the question).
It was satire Bob.

In my honest feelings, I am no big fan fan of the IRS in any way but do not portray them as jack booted thugs. They’re doing a job created by those far above their pay grade. The last few administrations are completely at fault for tossing out bloated programs funded by future earnings of squeezing the average joe’s pocketbook. In the exact same way that your local PD would rather be protecting neighborhoods and preventing crime, but sadly sit in a median or speed trap per local political machinations to pad local coffers with ticketing income per counsel requests. It’s a sad cycle, but the low man on the totem pole catching the flak should be the one getting a pat on the back.

This is also my opinion as the grandson of a 40 year IRS agent who worked his ass off and took several missed shots in his career. The ground level folks deserve respect.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 11-18-2022 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:17 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
It is such a big deal because it causes so many more people to now be actively looked at for federal income tax purposes. You are correct that the IRS upon audit and review can (and will in some cases) request and review taxpayer bank records. However, that would typically only occur in instances where the IRS had actually selected that particular taxpayer's return for audit. And the audit rate for taxpayer's individual returns, especially for those with lower overall income, are extremely low. Without receiving one of these specific 1099-K forms, if the taxpayer didn't voluntarily report their Ebay sales on their federal tax return, the IRS frankly wouldn't even know (or likely care) that the person was selling things on Ebay.

But with the lowered reporting threshold, the IRS now has to pay more attention to all those returns of people receiving these 1099-K reporting forms. And the people receiving them now have to make sure they report their Ebay sales activity on their federal tax returns, whereas in the past when they didn't receive a 1099-K form they easily got away with reporting nothing. The IRS as a matter of policy effectively matches 100% of all 1099, W-2, and any other similar types of tax reporting forms they receive to the recipient's respective federal tax return, WITHOUT FAIL! So, if you now get one of these 1099-K reporting forms from Ebay sales and don't report it on your tax return, you WILL (not maybe) be contacted by the IRS and subject to their scrutiny and audit. This creates way more work for taxpayers, tax preparers, companies/people issuing these 1099-K forms, and obviously of course, the IRS.

Honestly, most all these Ebay sellers should have been reporting their sales activity on their tax returns all along. But with the lowered 1099-K reporting threshold, that choice is no longer optional once their gross sales subject to such reporting hit $600 in any given year.
This statement was the point of my sarcasm. You are a billion percent correct and if anyone thinks that they can ignore a reported 1099 even if you think it silly, I will guarantee it will circle back to you with interest eventually.

Old 11-18-2022, 11:11 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
It was satire Bob.

In my honest feelings, I am no big fan fan of the IRS in any way but do not portray them as jack booted thugs. They’re doing a job created by those far above their pay grade. The last few administrations are completely at fault for tossing out bloated programs funded by future earnings of squeezing the average joe’s pocketbook. In the exact same way that your local PD would rather be protecting neighborhoods and preventing crime, but sadly sit in a median or speed trap per local political machinations to pad local coffers with ticketing income per counsel requests. It’s a sad cycle, but the low man on the totem pole catching the flak should be the one getting a pat on the back.

This is also my opinion as the grandson of a 40 year IRS agent who worked his ass off and took several missed shots in his career. The ground level folks deserve respect.
Whew, thank you for that. Without one of those smiley faces or other more obvious statements included when someone posts, at times it can be difficult to tell if someone is making a joke or actually being serious. I assumed you were joking but threw my comments out there in case someone accidently took what you are saying the wrong way. Forgive me for being overly cautious.

And I've worked with the IRS and its employees for well over 40 years and know what they are and go through, and having nothing but respect for them. People like your grandfather often get poorly portrayed and are undeservedly given a bad rap in movies, TV, and the media. And the politicizing of the IRS and its employees by any political party is a disgusting disgrace. The IRS and its employees are simply doing a job they were hired to do. They do not create and enact these tax laws they are then required to enforce. Meanwhile, the politicians that do create and pass these tax laws are often just downright stupid and have absolutely no real idea of what they are doing and the issues and difficulties that arise from what they just dump on the IRS to then handle.

In going more on point to the OP's original comment, I'd stated elsewhere on this forum way back not long after this new law reducing the reporting threshold was passed that it would have a serious impact on business and sellers through a platform like Ebay's. Didn't go far or garner much interest till much later on when the mainstream media started picking up on the change that had been enacted months earlier, and people finally began to learn more about it. As for Ebay just now sending out an email urging its users to complain about this lowered reporting threshold to politicians, they've known about this change since back in early 2020 when the legislation was first passed. What the hell have they been waiting for???

And also for the record, and I've said this before, the lowering of the reporting threshold from $20,000 and 200 transactions per year to just $600 in activity per year was not solely an attempt to go after people not reporting their Ebay sales activity on their tax returns. The main reason for the change to the lowered $600 reporting threshold is so that it aligns with the previously established threshold for reporting non-employee compensation paid to independent contractors that was supposed to be reported to the IRS on a different type of 1099 forms (1099-MISC or 1099-NEC). It was determined that many more people/independent contractors were starting to get their "under the table" pay through third-party payment platforms like Paypal or Venmo, which the IRS can't readily track or examine. So the government decided to lower the threshold on activity reporting on such platforms to coincide with the already existing $600 reporting threshold for non-employee compensation. Unfortunately, these platforms were never set up to distinguish between payments for goods (sales) and services (non-employee compensation), so when the reporting threshold change took effect on 1/1/22, it automatically included the change to reporting Ebay sales through these third-party payment platforms as well.

And this is also why most auction houses do not accept payments through such third-party payment platforms either. So they don't have sales reported to them on 1099 forms, and then in turn be forced to report the sales of their consigners to the IRS as well. This lowered reporting threshold is therefore one partial reason for auction houses to be getting more consignments. It also helps explain the fewer and fewer items people may be seeing on Ebay, and possibly why alternative sites (PWCC, Goldin, Facebook groups, live shows, etc.) are still around and apparently doing well, and possibly better and with increased activity and even more volume in the future.

In this instance, one thing/area that does have me concerned though is with regard to some of the bigger Ebay consignment sellers, such as Probstein or Greg Morris. They already had sales way over the previous reporting thresholds for years now, and they've been getting 1099s reporting Ebay sales all along. To my knowledge though, they don't turn around and then issue 1099 forms to all their consignors for what is technically their consigner's Ebay sales. The consignees are really only providing a service to all their consignors, and the sales being reported to the likes of Probstein and Greg Morris on those 1099's they then get from Paypal are being received by them as "nominees", on behalf of everyone that consigned items to them to sell. And technically then, under existing tax laws, consignees like Probstein and Greg Morris should be issuing what are commonly known as "nominee 1099 forms" to all the people they sold items, and collected the sales money, on behalf of. I've never consigned anything to any Ebay seller, so am only assuming outfits like Probstein and Greg Morris do not ask their consignors for their tax info and then send them 1099's after the year ends. And with the previously much higher tax reporting thresholds in place, they were likely not being subjected to any IRS scrutiny for potentially failed nominee tax reporting. With the now lowered reporting threshold though, these consignees may start to get a little more IRS scrutiny, and may be forced in the future to start reporting consigner sales to the IRS.

So for now, someone looking to continue selling their cards on Ebay and not have to worry about those sales getting reported to the IRS, may still be able to do that consigning their cards to be sold by someone else for them.............at least for now.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:15 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
This statement was the point of my sarcasm. You are a billion percent correct and if anyone thinks that they can ignore a reported 1099 even if you think it silly, I will guarantee it will circle back to you with interest eventually.
LOL

Never heard anyone refer to something as a billion percent correct (or wrong) before, but very true. Your grandpa would be proud!!!