NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-06-2022, 03:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Rank the prospects

In the last few years, some big names have gotten a lot of attention among prospectors and flippers. Here they are with the year of their official RCs. Pure guesswork still, but any ranking as to how they will end up?

2017 Judge
2018 Soto
Acuna
Ohtani
2019 Vlad Jr.
Tatis
2020 Yordan
2021 or 2022 depending on definition Wander

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-06-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:11 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In the last few years, some big names have gotten a lot of attention among prospectors and flippers. Here they are with the year of their official RCs. Pure guesswork still, but any ranking as to how they will end up?

2017 Judge
2018 Soto
Acuna
Ohtani
2019 Vlad Jr.
Tatis
2020 Yordan
I think Soto will end up being the best from this group. I'm not sure how much you buy into advanced metrics, but this past season, he had a "down" year and still compiled close to 6 WAR. Still managed to lead the league in walks and had over a .400 OBP. His ability to get on base is elite.

Acuna has displayed durability issues. He's only ever played a full season once. I think the talent is there, but he needs to prove that he can stay healthy.

Ohtani is a marvel. He's the most talented of this group. I think that's a fair assumption since he's shown the ability to be an elite hitter and an elite pitcher. My main question with him is how long he is able to do both, at a high level. He's already entering his age 28 season. Certainly exciting to watch. Age is something that Judge is also fighting against, and I do not think he will ever produce a season like he did, this year, ever again.

Yordan and Vlad are both incredible hitters, with their best seasons to come at the plate. I think both of them run into the issue that they don't play the field well and thus have to make up for it with their bat. I'm interested to see how Yordan's knees hold up as he's already experienced issues with them and he's still very young.

We'll get a good grasp of what Wander is capable of, heading into year three, assuming he is able to put together a fully healthy campaign.

Tatis I will decline to answer. He got popped for PED's. He could hit 600 Home Runs and still find himself not being elected to the Hall of Fame.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

I'm sick of Acuna, not because I don't think he's talented, but mainly because I'm sick of the sycophants on Blowout who never tire of posting about him and just keep buying seemingly thousands of his cards even as his on field sinks. I see another Strawberry or someone of that ilk.

Soto by his standards had just an awful year although his metrics were I guess OK. Don't know where he's headed.

Vlad, not a big fan..

Tatis, was a big fan.

Ohtani I think will burn out relatively young but still a marvel for the ages.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-06-2022, 08:25 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Good question. If you are talking sycophants on Blowout I think it’s much more geared towards Soto than Acuna. There was a time this year when the Soto thread was celebrating walks. It just as bad. The only thing Soto and Acuna got going is their age. I think they still can bounce back. Vlad I think will be solid for a few more years, same with Judge. Yordan I see getting hurt and Franco I don’t see him doing much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2022, 10:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

2017 Judge
2018 Soto
Acuna
Ohtani
2019 Vlad Jr.
Tatis
2020 Yordan

Judge - Very big, very injury prone, started old. Whoever signs him will lose on the deal. Great talent.

Soto - Projects well. His average plummeted this year and may be a red flag. We shall see. He's only 23, could be a true great.

Acuna - Frequently appears to not hustle. Big decline this year. Braves still got him for a steal, but he may not last that long as a big name.

Ohtani - Probably short career, injury prone. Absurd generational talent. It is something that he and Trout are probably the two best talents and on the same loser team.

Vlad Jr. - Fat guys tend not to last and crash early. His listed 6'2 240 is in the obesity range. It does not appear to be a fit muscled physique. I would not expect a Hall career or sign him to a 10 year deal. 4 years, yes.

Tatis - Already in trouble for immaturity and steroids. Haven enjoyed some of the modern guys freaking out that they may not get rich on him after all.

Yordan - 368 games, 187 OPS+. He looks legit to me at this point, but it's so very early.

Wander - Too early to have any basis to say anything besides random guessing.

As to which one you can prospect on for money: none of them. That ship has sailed. They would have to turn as good as Trout has for their to be any way to long term make money off them.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's such a freaking hard game to sustain excellence for a decade or more. So many prospects just turn into cauti0onary tales.

Old 11-08-2022, 12:35 PM
Robert J. Miller

Good points by G1911.

I think the best of this bunch would be Yordan Alvarez.......But then again, I always lose in my fantasy baseball leagues.

Actually, I wo this year.......woohoo!
Old 11-14-2022, 11:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

Greg Weissert.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/at...artner=ya4nbcs
Old 11-14-2022, 02:52 PM

I think Wander will be a beast. Obviously early and he hasn't done much yet, but I see a 300 hitter who might make a run at 3,000 hits.

He also has the biggest upside in terms of buying low and selling high later. His injury has kept his cards down (comparatively) while Julio and Bobby Witt soar.

Last edited by packs; 11-14-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:48 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think Wander will be a beast. Obviously early and he hasn't done much yet, but I see a 300 hitter who might make a run at 3,000 hits.

He also has the biggest upside in terms of buying low and selling high later. His injury has kept his cards down (comparatively) while Julio and Bobby Witt soar.
I agree with this. I’ve been snapping up limited Wander RC’s at a fraction of Julio Rodriguez and Witt. I honestly think Wander and Devers are very similar and are two of the more underrated hitters in the hobby because they aren’t guys that will chase 40-50 homers a season. They are both double machines.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
I agree with this. I’ve been snapping up limited Wander RC’s at a fraction of Julio Rodriguez and Witt. I honestly think Wander and Devers are very similar and are two of the more underrated hitters in the hobby because they aren’t guys that will chase 40-50 homers a season. They are both double machines.
I loved Devers until his second half this year.

Old 11-18-2022, 01:58 PM

I think Wander will develop into a very good player who hits 300 to 320 every year, with 90 to 100 runs, 15 to 20 homers, and 15 to 20 steals year in year out.

A slightly better Jeter if you will.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:17 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think Wander will develop into a very good player who hits 300 to 320 every year, with 90 to 100 runs, 15 to 20 homers, and 15 to 20 steals year in year out.

A slightly better Jeter if you will.
The only problem with this line of thinking is that no one is better than Jeter. No one!

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel